Looking for advice.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TraceyMc
    on

Hi, I’ve just completed my first 8 weeks. I started at 151.9kg (about 335lbs) and have lost 15.5kg (34lb) so about 10% of my body weight. My GP won’t redo my blood sugar tests until June (they were 5.3) to see if the results have really taken. I still have so much to lose and a friend advised I reverse the 5:2 5x 800cals and 2x not counting. I see the logic but I’m not sure. Obviously even at 178cm (5’10”) as a 50+ female I need to lose a lot more but I don’t want to jeopardise what I’ve started.
    Any advice is welcome!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well done. Looking at your HbA1c result of 5.2 that is pretty good to normal. Are you on any medication as well. As you have a lot of weight to lose (sorry, not meaning to be rude) it would be a good idea to stick to the 800 cals as your body is used to it now. However, dont feel bad if you have a short break from the strictness of 800 as long as you continue with the no carb rule, that is what makes the difference in your blood glucose and also goes a long way to weight loss. Just keep going as best you can, i’m sure your doctor will be impressed with your results so far, so imagine how well you will be doing by June (not that far off).

• posted by TraceyMc
    on

Thank you. And no, not rude but truthful. I thought 5.3 wasn’t too bad either, but my GP was not pleased and started talking about medications etc. I’m thinking it may have been a pre-emptive strike.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi TraceyMc – I would suggest sticking with the 800 if you can, as your body will now be accustomed to it and this will give you the best option for maximum weight loss before your next GP appointment. But as sunshine-girl says, take a short break on maintenance if you feel you need to, but be really careful when it comes to carbs. Hope it continues to go well – good luck.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Tracey, I started out weighing just slightly less than your starting weight and I’m 8″ shorter than you, so I had a long ways to go too. I lost more than 10% of my body weight in the first 8 weeks and felt so great that I just kept going. That was October. Since then I’ve lost 90 more pounds and plan to stay on the 800 until I reach my healthy BMI cutoff which is 55 pounds from now. I feel better than I have in 25 years, my body is nicely adapted to burning fat and the BSD is second nature to me now. I’m not budging until I have the brass ring in hand.

Good luck and welcome!

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi Tracey. Just found your post and wanted to add my two-pennorth! If its working for you and you are feeling well, keep on keeping on! I have found that friends and family members who don’t understand the science behind the BSD tend to want to interfere, (I am down to my target weight, and I get the – you don’t want to get too scrawny – comments from my OH who has not been sticking to the low carb regime!).

Please log in or register to post a reply.