Living life on the 'plan' !! A 'slower 800' option?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

One or two of us have been feeling low the last few days or so and have come to the conclusion that life can’t be put on hold whilst following this plan. The ‘plan’ is part of our lives and as such has to fit into our lives not visa versa.

So ….. what’s your ultimate goal???

For me it’s to ‘reverse’ my diabetes. I’m pretty healthy apart from diabetes, no high blood pressure or cholesterol just the dreaded diabetes. Whilst this doesn’t rule my life I do take metformin and I would love to stop. In order to do this I need to lose weight and hopefully visceral fat.

As sunshine-girl has very wisely said ‘you can’t live life in blocks of eight weeks’ .

I totally agree and after nearly 10 weeks I’m really not wanting carbs anymore. Although I did find it very hard at lunch time with my bowl of tomato soup while OH had pizza!!!

So no reason why we can’t eat within the plan, lose weight and improve out health but without it being at break neck speed, which suits some, but not all of us.

We maybe need to take the pressure of a little …. that’s not to say ‘give up’ just relax a little!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My ultimate goal is simply to lose sufficient weight so that I am not damaging my health anymore. I totally agree with the need for a flexible approach, which is part of the reason that instead of diving straight into the Fast 800 when I knew there would be holidays, birthdays, and social occasions when it would be impossible to be so rigid on calories, I stuck to variations on the 5:2 diet. I have had whole weeks off the diet in France and over my birthday, although I did follow most of the principles still, and only put three pounds on, long since gone now as soon as the plan restarted afterwards. If this way of eating is for the rest of my life, and I believe it is, then for me it must be flexible enough to fit my life. I will be doing at least one 8 week plan to try to lose weight faster, but if it gets derailed by life, so be it.

• posted by shalimar
    on

My goals are to reverse diabetes, loose weight, get more fit …. and perhaps get some extra health benefits, i.e. improved eyesight.
    I have been and am easying into things. I started just going a 12 hour fast … and stretching the time to 15 hours … that meant 2 meals a day. Even when i was on a vacation trip i always did the 12 hour … of course i had a big supper with a couple of drinks! 🙂
    Now i’m fasting … but if i’m feeling off i’l have some broth … and i’ve added vegetable juice.

I plan on eating whatever i want on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I plan on having an occasional “drink”. I’m just trying to get off to a quick start while i have a head of steam up === it will wear off.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Verano,
    I’ve been living the BSD 5:2 plan for some months now (that’s BSD800 2 days a week and low carb med style the other 5). It suits me. I incorporate all 3 aspects of BSD (the diet, exercise and mindfulness meditation). Which form of the BSD we choose is each individual’s decision. Find the one that suits your needs and live it.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I would like to reverse my diabetes but aware that it might be a long haul. HBA1c down from 8.2 to 6.7 in first 8 week cycle and hope to reach 6.0 on my next test. My long term goal is to reach my goals by July/August next year if that makes any sense, so no pressure to race at it. Even when I came off the plan for a few days I still kept to the 800 and low carbs as it seems the normal way to eat but I will allow myself a glass of wine or 2. I don’t have a sweet tooth so have never taken sugar and wouldn’t thank you for a dessert or cake so it should be smooth going. I will still weigh in every Tuesday to keep track of where I am.

I would like to be 65 kgs, I am currently 75 but that is down from 81 (some loss before BSD) and 4kg from BSD. I am bound to lose weight by doing the 800 but have been a slow loser (I insist due to taking insulin). I have reduced my insulin from 37 units to 25.

• posted by Verano
    on

Reading through these posts it seems we all have similar goals and realised that it may take time.

Sunshine-girl I think you have done so well so far with your blood levels. I bought a ‘machine’ after saying I wouldn’t so now I have another number to stress about! I do random early morning tests and they are generally 6.8 with one 7, that was depressing, and the last was 6.1 whoooopeee ! Problem is I have no idea what it means, if anything, so will have to wait until next month when I see my GP.

Anyway I think what I’m trying to do more than anything is stop my diabetes from worsening and causing major problems. I don’t suffer any diabetes related problems at the moment. I know of two men , neither of whom looked after themselves , who have had amputations!!! That is the last route I would want to go down so keeping control and ultimate reversal are my real aims.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Switzerland

You know I’ve been so caught up in fast 800 for 8weeks it had completely slipped my mind that there are other BSD ways to go.

I think maybe the 5:2 is a more sensible approach for me at the moment.

Thanks for reminding me of the options!

on

Well, I have put my weight on the weigh in thread and I am putting it here too. With a bit of a giggle, I have LOST 0.2 kg. Yipee, it is a loss, and considering my wobble last week I am very pleased. I am also pleased that I now weigh 75 kg, a nice round figure – a bit like mine.

Verano, you say you don’t know what the numbers mean. Anything between 4.5 and 6.5 is an acceptable reading. Doctors don’t like you under the 4.5 but on this diet maybe it is okay to be 4.0 but below 3.5 is getting close to hypo. Over 6.5 up to 7.5 is still in the okay but watch it range. Over 7.5 and you are getting quite high. Considering I was 10.5 when I started this diet puts the numbers into perspective.

• posted by Verano
    on

Great sunshine-girl! Sometimes we just have to relax a little and the body takes care of itself!

Thanks for the explanation of the numbers I sort of knew the ranges I just don’t know if they’re the same when taking metformin?? You have done really well and it’s wonderful that you’re able to reduce your insulin. I’d just love to know how low my ‘normal’ range on metformin needs to be before I can stop taking it!

• posted by Frog
    on

Congratulations on your loss and downward blood sugar results

Are the results from home testing different to results of the HbA1c test Sunshine Girl?
    I’m getting more confused – my recent HbA1c result was 38, and stated normal was 20-48

on

I don’t know that for myself Verano, when I am diabetes free, obviously when I no long take insulin and still how readings below 5. If I don’t take my insulin one night I will see what happens but not ready for that yet. Maybe in the future my doctor will talk me through it. It is so sexy when he speaks (French) I don’t care what he is saying. LOL

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Hba1C measures the average blood sugar over the previous three months …. don’t know how! Apparently, red blood cells have a lifespan of 8 to 12 weeks.

Daily testing gives the blood sugar at that point in time and can vary over the day fasting, before meals, after meals etc.

Your 38 sounds great! Just keep doing what you’re doing!

Please log in or register to post a reply.