Let's keep going in 2021 ! One week at a time beginning February 2nd 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

They will appreciate your sensitivity to this awful situation and the situation they find themselves in. Having been in nursing I can appreciate the trauma but to be honest, I saw nothing like what is happening now, although some close calls. It might become a part of their training to show how strong we all have to be – no-one has been here before. Thank you for the wonderful job you are doing.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you sunshinegirl

WindyJulz sorry I completely missed that earlier – Florob85

lol it’s a long story – my name is Lauren and once when my grandparents were unwell and my parents were away, their very deaf neighbour was worried about them as an ambulance had been in the night and he hadn’t seen my grandad since. So he phoned me at my mums to tell me and I told him my sister was on her way up to see them anyway, but could he go in with her just in case anything had happened, and that I’d get on up in the meantime. Fast forward an hour and my sister is hysterically laughing/crying down the phone going “Grandad’s fine, he was just asleep, but Tony kept saying “I’ve spoken to Florence and Florence says to come in with you” – she was completely baffled as to who Florence was, turns out he misheard my name! The name just kind of stuck and I’ve been flo among my family ever since

Robertson is my mums maiden name! 85 is my year of birth and day and month – my dob is 08/05/85

Nothing very exciting and nothing to do with Norway but quite entertaining!

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Another week and I notice I’m still on the list Wendy , sorry about the silence , been so busy , my husband developed a right inguinal hernia lifting the lawn mower a couple of weeks ago & it’s caused ongoing bouts of quite acute pain when the hernia is ‘ stuck ‘ , then there’s been getting Dr appointments, ultrasound, referral to Surgeon , paperwork to Hospital, anaesthetist , planned admission to Private Hospital for next weeks surgery amidst frequent need for my poor darling having to take frequent times lying down until the hernia ‘ retreats ‘ , then pain subsides … Supporting him during these times . along with my trying to get some exercise , organising and cooking meals , my need to also go for blood tests , & a CT myself , having to visit my Surgeon for a routine check , I have been feeling like a poor chicken running around with its head cut off ! I’m actually probably better described as an ‘ old boiler ‘ trying to keep up with it all & it hasn’t been easy !
    Anyway just wanted to check in and say I’ve sneaked in and have had a quick read a few times and have been amazed at some of the fantastic progress being made by some , so congratulations to each of you , & the knowledge and support here is fantastic , won’t try and thank each personally as I’d not want to leave anyone out but I do certainly appreciate the time and generosity some give to sharing so much helpful information 👏👏👏👏
    So my progress so far .!
    I weighed morning of January 5 th when I joined this lovely group , I weighed again on Tuesday 2 nd Feb at the start of this new week , and have discarded 2.7 kilograms ( 5.95 pounds ) so I’m happy with that .

In haste , cheers all ,
    😊Hello 66

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Morning all,
    Floro, poor you! I agree though, it’s an awful time and you showed genuine human emotion, which is not a bad thing.
    Hello66- sounds like a crazy time for you and well done on the weight loss.
    I had a snackciddent yesterday followed by carb disaster……we have a student with us at work at the moment and she made biscoff fudge on Tuesday…well, I usually do ok with the odd treat if things are home made- I feel like it is worth it to taste things if I really fancy them. Anyhow, I had 3 pieces on Tuesday and it was one of the creamiest most delicious things I think I have ever tasted. I don’t work Wednesdays so thought I would be safe by Thursday as hoping my colleagues would have finished it off- but, there was just enough for me to have another 3 pieces that morning…..oops. I did enjoy it, and I had a healthy lunch with me, which I ate. But then had a big sugar reaction early afternoon…obvs with this WOE that doesn’t really happen any more- I got the shakes and felt very peculiar….so then had to sort that with a cheese snack, which is not the end of the world I guess (the cheese, not the fudge)….but my daughter then made some amazing tomato, olive and seed bread which I served with dinner, and even had a slice! As a rule I don’t eat white carbs really, anyhow, it was lovely straight out of the oven, and I also had a tiny bit of potato..otherwise dinner was on point, pork casserole on cabbage….sigh,
    well anyway, it was not a good BSD day that’s for sure, and seemed to be a case of one carb leading to another….so, I really need to have a minimal carb, sensible low cal day today…

love to all xxx

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Hi All – I lost 1.5 stone a couple of years ago and felt great – sadly menopause and lockdown have taken over and the weight has gradually crept on! I thought maybe I could lose the weight myself but realise that I need the support of the group to keep me going and also to name and shame myself so here it goes! Having stood on the scales about 5 times hoping the weight might have altered ( definition of insanity!), placing my weight forwards and backward to try to make them show less I finally faced the fact that I stand on them where I should and…..11.stone! I have the books and the new 800 Easy so will have lots of recipes to try. I will sign in next week with fingers crossed a good first week weight loss. Meanwhile keep the posts going as they make me smile in this miserable , difficult lockdown and here’s to Spring and the warmer, sunny weather! Have a great day! Claire

• posted by Barefoot girl
    on

Hi All
    Wow, so many posts to catch up on, it’s so encouraging to read them, such a sense of community helps me remember I’m really not alone. I really should check in more often.
    For me it’s 4 weeks in and I’m down a stone, so I’m happy with that. Decided to only weigh once a week as the daily bit was not helping me.
    It’s been an odd last week, am on iron tablets but have been convinced they’re giving me a really upset tummy so have stopped them to see what happens and tummy is much better. Will have to find alternative form of iron supplement. It’s been a loooooong January, I agree! Have also been in so much pain from frozen shoulder (has anyone else had this? It’s just constant at the moment), and normally would comfort eat, so am very pleased to have put a stop to that.. Found soups to be a great lunch option, warming and filling (one of my faves is cauliflower, leek and feta). Keep up the good work, everyone, and thanks for keeping these forums going, really appreciated.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hey barefoot girl. Many congratulations on losing a stone – I wish I could find my mojo to do the same!! I shall follow your example and make soups. Verano’s red pepper and cauliflower remains my favourite.

Frozen shoulder. Full commiserations. I had one just over 10 years ago. Extraordinarily painful. The two things I would recommend are slow release painkillers to help you through the nights, and pendular exercises that just use your own body weight and gravity. I found this NHS example on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxgqT6Jn4pc

See what you and your physiotherapist think! Best wishes

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Barefoot girl! A stone in a month- amazeballs!

How do you make your soup? I don’t think I’ve ever had feta in a soup before.

Well done everybody xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I’m in trouble…we have discovered biscoff spread……😆🤔😱…..I swear this is the cocaine of the sugar world….Send help!!

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh no! Biscoff anything is so delicious

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I haven’t really had it at all before this week….now is a bad time to discover it!!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

For some reason I haven’t been getting notifications of new posts on the thread ? I thought I had ticked the box …

I will catch up with you all tomorrow xxx

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Hi all – glad to hear everyone’s news. Windy Julz I would also be interested in your name?! I would also be keen on that cauliflower and feta soup recipe. And thanks for the cauliflower mash recipe – will definitely make that. I’ve come unstuck the last couple of days with wine. Did dry jan and planned not to drink for full eight weeks but had a long tricksy day on Thursday/ last day of my working week / and decided to have some. Probably on wrong forum here, but one inevitably led to a lot more plus food I wouldn’t normally eat. Back to not drinking alcohol. Felt rotten today and would prefer not to. Too addictive for me. On another subject, Hats off to all you amazing medical folk. No wonder you might cry! You’re doing amazing work.

• posted by maximumdelusionstrawberry
    on

Hi everyone! Just joined, though I’ve been easing myself into the fast800 all week.
    I’m a nurse and orthopaedic surgical unit and hurt my knee really badly about a month ago lifting a patient and slipping (patient was fine, my knee was not) and so I’ve been off work and off exercise for weeks now. The weight has crept on, I was nice 9stone 12 pounds before lockdown, then that plus all the sitting… anyhoo!
    My first goal weight is 9 stone 12 and then eventually, 9 stone 6
    My starting weight is 10 st 7lbs and I haven’t weighed yet really, I will do tomorrow morning I think, I’ve been too scared too as the effort of calorie counting etc has been a lot and I was afraid that I was going to be disheartened if I haven’t lost much. Praying for… at least 3 lbs this week!

Anyone doing the ketostix? I’m tempted as I think I’ve been slightly lax with my carbs, they creep in with the veg!
    Leek spaghetti- that is GENIUS- I need to try this- I’m a bit over courgette, the texture isn’t right.

• posted by JGwen
    on

maximumdelusionstrawberry don’t waste any money buying ketostix.

When you start with a ketogenic diet your body produces excess ketones which it disposes of in your urine. But after a while your body gets more efficient and only produces as many ketones as you need, so there are no surplus released in the urine.

• posted by Alipetunia
    on

Hi all. Always good to hear everyone’s progress.
    Things have really slowed down for me weight wise. Only lost 1 pound this week. I think I’ve let the diet slip somewhat, and have been unable to exercise due to a sore knee. But I’ve lost 20 pounds since starting, and kept it off which I’m pleased with.
    So my goals this week are:
    – do my physio exercises morning and night
    – drink 2400 mls water every day
    – limit my dark chocolate treat to one square per night
    Alison

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh crikey I am so late catching up with posts this week but just wanted to wish Sunshine girl a very happy birthday !

Happy Birthday Denise. May the sun shine on you today ( we’ve had a lot of rain ! )
    Wendy xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Happy birthday sunshine girl!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Best wishes for a very happy birthday, Sunshine Girl … hope this the start to a great year for you.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, thanks for the birthday wishes. 68 and dont feel a day over 30. Hubby had put a bottle of Saumur sparkling white wine in the fridge for later, much better than any champagne. But I told him to take it out as I am not going to spoil the diet – too much – might have a small v&t or 2. Bought myself some expensive strawberries (Gariguettes – Wendy will know what they are) and they are my very special treat for after dinner tonight.
    Managed to get down to my pre-Christmas weight this morning and now under 12 stone and want to keep it that way, but I know if I gain a little it will soon be gone again.
    Finally got my Kindle Paperwhite as a gift from hubby. Registered with Amazon and told I can no longer buy books on Amazon UK as we live in the EU. Pooh. I think I know a way around it!!!!
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks. See you all next week.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

I need solutions for constipation that aren’t “eat more fibre” or “drink more water!”

I’m eating plenty of green veg everyday, for example today I had broccoli, sprouts, cabbage and spinach and I’ve also had half a tomato, mushrooms, onion and shallots! I also eat chia seeds most days and I’m also taking inulin powder, optifibre and psyllium husk every day, strong black coffee, and drinking at least 3 litres water plus other black tea and coffee through the day – I cannot physically drink any more water, it makes me feel really sick and sloshy! I’m getting at least 20g fibre per day, sometimes more, it’s difficult to up it much further within the calories. I’ve added three prunes to my day the last week (all included in the count). I’m also walking at least 3 miles a day and have health problems that make doing any more cardiac exercise very challenging.

I have suffered with this for many years – when I was a small child I had “lazy bowel” and often didn’t “go” for nearly a fortnight, I was on a plethora of medication for it but nothing ever worked and since then my bowel has never been quite right. In general I’ve found this diet makes my gut much better in general, I get far less cramps etc. But it’s now been a week since I’ve been to the toilet and it’s getting very uncomfortable! Sorry for the graphic detail!

Lauren

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren, I sympathise, I too am ‘blessed” with a sluggish bowel. When things get very ‘stuck’ I take magnesium and if that doesn’t work, I resort to good old fashioned senna for some relief. I’m sure others will offer solutions … good luck with whichever route you choose and hope you’ll soon be ‘on-the-move’ again.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks SunnyB, such a pain, literally – I’ll try magnesium, not used that before

• posted by EC
    on

good morning all and happy belated birthday sunshine-girl!
    Workingfromthefridge-the soup is a recipe I “accidentally” made up using leftovers (from the fridge 😉 ) last year-it’s on the recipe site and I’ve made it with both cows and tofu/vegan feta with good results-cauliflower marries with leek as happily as the traditional spud and makes a lovely creamy texture

florob85-I’d agree with SunnyB on the magnesium….I actually can’t use the Mg powders as it has the “too loose” effect on me! (also whole linseeds (flax seed) in boiling water work for most)

I had to look up biscoff-although when I searched it seems that Woolworths here do sell an imported Belgian brand (I promise to keep away!)

Last week was one to draw a line under (again!!) but I’m having a cortisone injection for this ## bursitis tomorrow, so hopefully will be back swimming and walking again by the weekend and with also hopefully with the pain gone less likely to seek solace in the pantry !
    Only 7 weeks til our Easter trip now so I need to be super diligent as a couple of kg has crept back on with all this inactivity

It’s the last month of summer here (bushfires in WA…luckily under control after some rain (son #4 moved there last year 🙁 ) ) and the garden harvest has kicked in with a vengeance
    Plenty of zucchini/courgettes, beans and the first tomatoes and the plum tree is gifting us with the usual bucketloads of fruit…I’ve made spicy plum sauce, have some plum liqueur as an experiment in the pantry and spiced plum fruit leathers for the grandkids for our Easter camping trip-then it will be apples, more tomatoes and hopefully a few aubergine from the new greenhouse!-oh and some BSD friendly lettuce, spinach, broccoli and my first ever endive-yum!
    wishing you all a great week
    Erin

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Erin/ EC or anyone else who knows…..where do I find ‘recipes’?….I tried doing a search but just got lots of things that had the word ‘recipe’ in it and then looked up forums but no luck there….is there an easy way to find it? As definitely want to try the soup and would love to browse other recipes too.

Thanks,
    Clare.

Thanks,
    Clare.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Erin, don’t worry, I have now found ‘recipes’ 😊😊

on

Hi EC
    Hope the cortisone injections work well. I’m feeling blue at the moment as they tell me that a cortisone injection for my frozen shoulder would really help, but are refusing to give me one at the moment as they say it weakens my immune system to the point of making me more vulnerable to suffering badly from Covid if I were to get it, whilst having steroids in my body, so I soldier on until the situation with covid improves (hopefully).

on

Thanks Caronl, for the advice for frozen shoulder. I was taking slow release Naproxen, but didn’t find it made a noticeable difference to the kind of pain I was experiencing, and having to take stomach liners every morning was such a nuisance, that I stopped taking the pills after about a week. You’re right, it’s the night times that are mostly the worst, as there’s no such thing as a comfortable position. Am trying to do the exercises, would so appreciate a swim, but of course all the pools are closed! As Dory says, I’ll “just keep swimming”!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thanks Barefoot Girl 😊

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Happy birthday SG

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,
    Well, having re-read the BSD I am now reading the Fast 800- so much good extra and different info! Finding it brilliant. So, I am now more inspired to do some proper 800 calorie days (it’s been a while! Thought my stomach was going to eat itself about an hour before lunch lol, but the feeling passed 😂)….to get this last bit of weight off and also for the overall health benefits.
    Love to all xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I can’t believe it is Monday again ! Where has the week gone ? I confess this week I have suffered from a serious case of inertia …  basically laziness . We have had a lot of grey , damp days here and I am pining for sunshine and greenery. I feel like I am hibernating . I turned to what I always do .. finding refuge in my books . It’s a habit from childhood . I used to immerse myself in my library books as an escape from a pretty chaotic homelife as the eldest of 7 kids , all scrambling for a bit of space and attention !

I have caught up with all the posts and just want to say you are all incredible human beings ! Please don’t be disappointed by what you perceive as lack of progress . It really is tough right now and the occasional moment off plan is not going to make a big difference in the long term scheme of things . Noone is perfect all the time but the trick is not to slide so far off plan that getting back seems too overwhelming . Just get back on and keep going .

I am still intrigued by cauli bang bang and Biscoff ?? You definitely can’t get those in Lidl France;-)

Welcome to our new members !

Florob85/ Lauren . So sorry to hear of your postponed wedding plans . You will have your beautiful day but for now enjoy your time with your partner and don’t worry about not doing everything perfectly . There is an element of trial and error in this programme. We don’t always get it right but stick to the principles, don’t get too anxious about the numbers on the scales and believe in yourself . As far as constipation is concerned, I would have recommended psyllium husk which you have tried as well as other natural remedies . Maybe a trip to the chemist ? After my ops when I was afraid of constipation I was prescribed  Dulcolax . Hubby took it too as he had a problem after taking morphine for his broken ribs . It’s miserable I can understand that . Sending you a massive hug and take good care . Just to make you laugh .. regulars on here probably remember how I narrowly missed traumatising a room full of 11 year olds when my ‘bloomers’ appeared below my dress in class !!! Goodness, time to invest in smaller knickers ( or better elastic:-) )

Hi Tamara1 ! All the very best to you ! Sorry about the nightmares . I don’t know what to suggest there ?

Hi MillieMoo !/ Claire ! We are here to support you . Stay with us and keep looking forward . Don’t worry about what is past .

Hi Maximumdelusionstrawberry ( class!!) Sorry about your knee injury . You will get where you want to be and hope you are soon more mobile . We are here to support you .

Hi Redrooster ! Well done on your results . Keep sharing with sunshine girl if you have any blood sugar queries

Hi Summertwinkles ! Good to see you on the thread and hope you continue with us as we renew the thread every week . We are here to support and motivate where we can !

Hello 66 ! Hello !;-) Ohh I know about inguinal hernias . I suffered with one of those and had no idea what it was and no idea how it started but surgery sorted it . I also discovered I had a spiegel hernia which I thought was muscle emerging after losing a bit of weight from my substantial belly fat . Nope .. it was quite a big hernia which again was sorted with surgery . I hope that is not too much information . Thinking of your hubby Hello66 and look after yourself too . It’s been a bit full on there to say the least .

Just a few thoughts about frozen shoulder . You may remember I began an experiment to cut out dairy and nuts ? I have cracked the dairy thing which I reckon was causing inflammation . Working on the nuts still … and then have to tackle the choc .

Anyway I digress. What I wanted to say was I still have some stiffness in my shoulder which hasn’t really been helped by the no dairy… . Barefootgirl I don’t get the pain you and caronl describe ( which sounds horrendous, so sorry you are suffering .

You are probably getting some sort of physio ( Tulip/ Clare ??? ) but when I was looking for exercises to do for my shoulder I came across this video of 15 simple exercises to do at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM36zdNUzZk

I saw there are lots more to help with frozen shoulder and hopefully you can find some relief . I always swear by my turmeric and ginger lattes !

EC/Erin ! Hi ! My neighbour had those cortisone injections in her hip joint
    and they did help the pain considerably . It may be that she will have to have a hip replacement at some point but they won’t do it just yet . That must be miserable for you as you are used to being so active there so I do hope the injections work for you . I love the sound of your garden booty ! We have to be content with budding daffodils and snowdrops here . I can’t remember yearning for the Spring as much as I have this year . I think it’s because I have more time on my hands !!!

Julz ! I think you are amazing with your running !! Good advice you give on the thread too !

Right , time to sign off now but I will be back later to set up the new thread . I will also give a shout out to a few people we haven’t heard of for some time xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new weekly thread !

Please log in or register to post a reply.