Let's keep going in 2021 ! One week at a time beginning February 16th 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s mid February . Warmer days are on the way ( for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere !!) However tough it feels we have to keep going because better days are coming and we don’t want to regret any lost time.

For anyone who is feeling lonely and isolated, remember there is always a friendly ear on the thread . You will feel better soon . We WILL be able to see and hug our loved ones or even just enjoy a coffee with a friend .

So on we go . Please continue with us and welcome kiltgirl and Deb2003 who have just joined us

wendleg, SunnyB and sunshine girl ( Thanks for everything you do to keep the thread going when I am not able to log on )

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is the list

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is something I read this weekend which resonated with me

If a craving isn’t coming from hunger

Food will never satisfy

It’s so true xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

I’ve just made what turned out to be a surprisingly tasty meal that I was dubious about earlier today so thought I’d share the recipe

Pesto baked chicken – this served two
    Ingredients
    2 skinless chicken breasts (we used 400g raw between 2)
    60g reduced fat green pesto (or whatever you prefer)
    1 tbspn olive oil
    1 tbspn lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves
    1 red pepper (200g)
    1 brown onion (100g)
    Salad leaves
    Vine tomato (half each)

1.Cut chicken breast into slices – I did three per breast but it’s up to you
    2. Coat chicken in pesto (I used 30g reduced fat green pesto per person as it’s what I have in the house but you can sub whatever you prefer)
    3. Chop a red pepper and brown onion into chunks and toss in 1tbspn olive oil, 1 tbspn lemon juice and 2 crushed garlic cloves
    4. Bung it all in a baking tray and roast for 25 mins at 180C
    5. Plate up with salad leaves and half a vine tomato chopped – I used just a drizzle of apple cider vinegar in my salad, my partner had EVOO and lemon juice

Nothing sort of mind blowing in terms of complexity but it was really tasty. My recipe worked out at 420 cal and 8.9g carbs – could easily cut this down by not having the tomato, using less pesto, having less chicken etc. but I do 16:8 TRE and don’t have breakfast so 400 cal for dinner is fine for me, easily adjustable though if you want it to be less calories.

L x

• posted by JustKeepFasting
    on

Hi all, hope everyone has had a good week.
    Thank you Wendy for starting off the new week.
    Lauren, that pesto chicken sounds delicious, will definitely give it a try!

One of our favourites is the easy chicken tagine from the fast 800 recipe book, but it’s steak and salad tonight. Eating far too late as my 2yr old was extremely hyper after nursery and has only just gone to sleep!

Start weight (1st Feb): 14st 9.4
    Week 1: 13st 12.8
    Week 2: 13st 10.2
    Goal weight: 10st 7
    Height: 5′ 7

Just missed out on leaving the ‘obese’ category and entering the ‘overweight’ one, but will use this target to keep me focussed over the next week!

Best wishes to all and look forward to hearing how everyone is getting on. X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Checking in on the weekly thread, to keep myself accountable. Confess that although on Friday I was 1.5lbs down on my starting weight for the week, I find that after an indulgence on Saturday and not keeping tabs on things yesterday, this morning I’m exactly the same weight as last Monday.

No point on pretending to be baffled by this, or getting frustrated about it so have to own this fir what it is. I’ve refocused today and will endeavour to make this week really count.

No matter how last week was for you, please stick with us … doesn’t matter if things went brilliantly, or not as you’d hoped. This is a new week, a clean slate and an opportunity make a fresh start.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all I’m in for another week too.

Just Keep Fasting, well done on that fantastic result.

Sunny B. I am in exactly the same position as you. As you all know I had gained 3 pounds last week, but after a concerted effort had lost 2.75 by Friday, but I too over indulged yesterday. Back the pounds came back on and I am now in the same place as I was last Monday. So my vow this week is to remember not to fall off the wagon at the weekend. I have realised it simply isn’t worth it. It had really stalled my progress. This is week 7, so am going to keep going for 12 weeks and see if I can reach my goal.
    Good luck all

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I’m reading a book called “Chatter” by Ethan Kross. Amongst other things he talks about rituals. I have found keeping a food diary helps me focus. I know what I am eating and how many calories I am consuming but the ritual of writing it down has helped me in the past. Something I leaned at WW 20 years ago when I successfully lost weight. Who else keeps a food diary? It is a great tool and I have recently started doing this again. As well as food I record my current weight, too.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Riccoh

I think a lot of us use apps to record our food intake, I use an app called Lose It which has a free or paid version, the paid version allows you to track macros, calories, steps, water intake and other goals like measurements, weight etc. A lot of people use My Fitness Pal which is very similar but i find it too complicated, FatSecret is another one – there’s loads of apps available.

Lauren

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the new weekly thread and the inspiring words, Wendy. I’m going to try to check in a little more often this week. As SunnyB says, I think it does help hold me accountable.
    Things did start to warm up yesterday, so I managed a full 24 hour fast yesterday and 17 hours today. I broke yesterday’s fast with a meal at my parents place as they are within my bubble. It was shrimps cooked in butter with garlic and parsley and steamed green beans and kale salad. A very delicious meal. I have been struggling to find any enjoyment in food for the last few months, so it was nice to have something perk up my interest. Today I broke the fast with chia pudding with a few raspberries, and again, it was very tasty.
    I have definitely noticed that my tastes have changed quite a bit. For someone who used to have quite a sweet tooth, I find I don’t enjoy sweet foods much anymore. Even with the carb creep, it was more savory, salty carbs slipping into my diet, when before it would have been sweet ones.

• posted by nhatha3432
    on

Saying Good Bye and Good Luck to you all!
    16/02/2021, still at 91 kgs, and I decided this diet just over a week ago as I have been on it for far too long. Of course I shall keep an weekly-eye on my weight, and I will also revert to the 5:2 diet to keep it there or thereabouts. I also intend to up my fitness circumstances permitting.
    I have enjoyed my success on this diet, and I never thought that I would get down to 91 kgs from the starting weight of 118.6 kgs; correct my Fasting Blood Sugar levels, get rid of a fatty liver, and have a normal Blood Pressure too!
    I will, if I may, list why I believe I was successful:
    1. Having the full support of my wife, who has been tremendous throughout, and friends and family, who kept me off the beer and all alcohol.
    2. Taking ‘before’ photos of myself, which I looked at from time to time to remind myself as to why. (Shame that I can’t post them here with the ‘after’ photos too.
    3. Having a severe warning from a great, young doctor about my high Fasting Blood Sugar level, and making it perfectly clear that the next step would be medication for Type-2 Diabetes; this gave me another way to focus on the purpose and benefits of the diet.
    4. The fact that I was obese and am soon returning to the UK, which still has a rampant Covid-19 problem, and learning that obese people did not fair well in the surviving rankings; wanting to live was another reason for sticking to it.
    5. Seeing the TV programme by Dr. Moseley, ‘Lose a Stone in 21 Days’, which helped enormously as was a clear and simple message.
    6. Keeping a food diary throughout, and I still do now on my two days of fasting per week, in which I recorded the quantity of food in grams and calorific value of everything that I ate.
    7. Undertaking walks, at least three a week.
    8. Sticking to the diet through thick and thin through toughening up mentally, and saying ”No!” to myself.
    9. Great comments from my wife, family and friends, on my notable progress.
    10. The love of a great woman, my wife; I could not have it done without her!

Thank you, and Good Bye!
    And Good Luck!

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Nhatha3432
    Congratulations on your success. All the best going forward.😊

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Florob85. I used to use MyFitnessPal but I now write in a notebook. I do put my weight in the app from time to time. I can see my progress, good and bad, since 2014. 6k to go to get back to where I was in 2016. Of course I haven’t been dieting since then but my weight crept up over that time from 83 to just short of 100. The app I use to record my weight is called MY Weight. It also has a graph and you can set your goal weight. Another good day today. How good is this WOE.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for including me on the weekly list Wendy.I haven’t posted much myself but do read the posts daily.I have been very halfhearted about sticking to the Fast800 so far this year so am going to start again today and really try my best to only eat what I have planned to eat each day.I can’t seem to have a day off without it spiralling into weeks so need to accept that my body needs me to be really committed to this WOE if I want it to work.I think maybe that’s why I’ve been a bit halfhearted,knowing that if I want to do this properly I have to do it 100%. I know lots of people can have days off and it doesn’t affect them but I think I’ve had so many high carb/sugar years that it’s not the case with me.Maybe once I’m at my healthy weight that may change but for now I must accept it.I have been feeling sluggish and bloated all week so I am really looking forward to that changing over this week🙂 Dawn X

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hopefully your all doing ok and are on plan.

Decent week for me 1.7kg off in the latest week. Thats 15.1kg since the start of the 800, with two weeks to go. Lightest I’ve been for many years. I stupidly forgot to order my repeat prescription (which I pick up today and after a couple of days of no meds bloods 5.1mmol (below 5.5 being the healthy limit). I was over 8 with meds before the diet. Now starting to plan a low carb 5:2 for when I finish. Can’t decide target wise how far to go, need to de use between slower steady loss or just maintaining for a bit

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the new weekly thread.
    RubyG and hubby still here, he is still losing steadily, while I, like a few others, overindulged a bit this weekend (again….) and am back to where I was a couple of weeks ago.
    I should lose it again during the week, and may revert to weighing weekly, on a Friday, so I don’t see the weekend excesses.
    We both got our activity trackers, so thank you to those who gave advice on these. We seriously need to up our activity levels, which should get easier as it starts warming up and we do more outside. My sleep patterns also seem a bit off-kilter, with only about 2 hours of deep sleep per night, the rest light sleep, so I don’t know what that’s all about. It’s only been 3 days wearing the tracker, so I’ll see how it averages out over a week or so.
    No pancakes for us tonight, we normally have a savoury pancake stuffed with chilli mince, so I’ll make an omelette instead.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Nhatha, congratulations on achieving your goals. Thank you for listing what has helped you along the way, I’m sure it will be useful to others. All best wishes for the future.
    Dawn, hope your reboot goes well. Sound like you have a good plan to go forward with and you know where we are if you need us … just shout.
    RedRooster, congratulations on those results! I’m sure you will formulate a plan, which will work for you after the 800.
    Ruby, you’re not alone in finding a back slide, but refocus and make today count. The omelette option instead of pancakes sounds good. Keep us posted on the progress on your exercise plan. It’s the area I most struggle with too …. perhaps I should invest in some kind of activity tracker too.
    Kiltgirl, glad to have you as part if our merry band … we happy to be your tribe😃. Moving into maintenance is very daunting and there is that temptation to move back to old patterns. You’ve learnt from taking that route last time, so I’m confident you will avoid that pitfall next time around. Could I suggest that you perhaps prepare additional portions of the meals you enjoy, to freeze for those times when making the effort to cook feel too much? Might help keep any major slips at bay.

Monday went well for me, just under on cals and on point for carbs. Think I might see if I can fast for most of today, to shake things up a bit.

Hope everyone has a good BSD day.

• posted by Alipetunia
    on

Hi all.
    Well I’m another one that has had a backslide….. I got such a good, milestone loss just a few days ago, and then I’ve immediately sabotaged it by returning to the junk. Scales show a 1.6 kg gain in just a few days…. what the?
    Also not helped by the ongoing constipation. Unfortunately the chia seeds had no effect :(.
    Anyway, at least I know what the formula is, and I just need to get back on the horse.
    Sounds like a few of us have to recalibrate!
    Alison

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, Can I add my name to those who have had a blip this week. Do so well all week and then forget to KOKO during the weekend. Partly down to having a chinese meal – not a takeaway – nems from the market which are quite carby. Back to what I was last Monday but that is still a lot less than I was a year ago so I am using that as my yardstick. Reading on here and on FB and other forums it seems a lot of people are hitting a brick wall around now. Nearly a year in lockdown and just getting sick of it. Be kind to yourselves and allow yourself to be human.

On the plus side, I did 30 mins aerobics yesterday morning and then a 30 min walk in the sunshine – even if it was a bit windy. Blood glucose has been consistently down below what it is safe to be so I will be reducing my insulin dose from tonight. I am always careful and very aware, just know I have to eat breakfast very quickly and not slob around watching Lorraine.

Well done to Natha and really understand you stepping back from this as it can take over your life. Keep up the good work to keep the diabetes at bay and you know where we are if you need us.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all
    I too am having a blip this week – anticipated gain over the weekend and I’ve got my head back into gear since yesterday but I have to say I’m struggling emotionally this week, I don’t think particularly because of the WOE but just the whole situation! Really finding the tedium of getting up, walking into my spare room and sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours before going back to bed really really difficult now, we’ve all had enough I think of these constant restrictions, lockdowns, not being able to see our loved ones, not being able to travel out of area.

I of course completely understand things are so tough for everyone and of course people who are unwell or have lost loved ones my goodness what an awful time for all involved, my heart really goes out to everyone! I also think it’s really important though that we are kind to ourselves and to each other at the moment, yes lots of people are suffering much worse than us, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t also suffering in some way so lets all make it our mission this week to take care of ourselves – if that is getting your head back in the game then great, but actually if it is just acknowledging that these times are really tough and we are all human and make errors, then that’s ok too! No beating up of selves this week, we get enough of that from other people without self-flagellating ourselves for small failures or blips!

Keep going everyone and remember it’s completely ok to not be ok!

L xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren/florob, brilliantly put … we absolutely need to be as kind and compassionate with ourselves, as we would be to others. However, there are blips, slips, trips, stumbles, digressions, divergence, but never failure …. as long as we pick ourselves up and carry on. The reminder that it’s okay not to be okay, is a valuable one … too often people think they have to put on a front to be acceptable to others. No need for that here, if it’s a bad day, please say.

Hopefully your week will get better, as it gets older and I hope you manage to take regular breaks from you computer and allow yourself a little breathing space throughout the day. Do what you can with this WOE, but don’t allow it to stress you Lauren. Big hugs to you and everyone else having a tough time right now.

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Hi all – nice to hear from everyone. And welcome kiltgirl! I definitely second what you say about great recipes. Thanks for the pesto recipe too Lauren. I’m often looking for quick things just for myself (especially if rest of family using oven for fish and chips like tonight) so that sounds good. Like many, I’ve been backsliding too and Riccoh I hear what you’re saying re diaries. As soon as my diet goes to pot I somehow ‘forget’ to write up my daily food diary. I’m still hovering just above the 80kg mark so am determined to get into the 70s this week. First aim is 77 – a 10 per cent loss. I do have some ‘excuses’ – perimenopause has put my hormones in a whirl and I’ve been having a whole lot of checks this week to try to sort it. But mostly I’m just a bit 😐. Aren’t we all? So yes we definitely need to be kind to ourselves. And no I don’t think the best way I could do that last week was buying the big pro crepe maker from the middle of Lidl. 🤷‍♀️ You’ll be pleased to hear it’s still sitting in the back of my car.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

So much of whats being said is wise and resonating with me big time.
    Florob – totally with you on the getting up and commuting to the spare room starting to take its toll. I’m struggling too, with work focus, with eating, and i also have horses at home to care for and the weather last week was very challenging! I’ve been trying to be kind to myself…..and not beat myself up for being less strict and having some snacks….but Ive also come to the realisation that being less strict makes me feel worse…… I can feel myself recognise it, and snack anyway. Its a bit self destructive. But I THINK i am turning the cornier….as the snow and ice starts to melt and the daylight hours stretch……. and I’m ready to be back in the game…. usuall i feel like that on Monday and by Wednesday its gone…. here’s hoping.
    I’m also guilty of “forgetting” to log food on bad days!! Haha. Total head in sand, ostrich style! Same as the fact i havent stood on the scales since before christmas….promise i will at end of Feb….

Workingfromthefridge – egg wraps would make good use of the crepe maker – i had fajitas last night using a couple of egg wraps….worked well. Also fab with tuna salad filling etc. Low carb crepes are also possible – 2 eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, pinch of salt, teaspoon of almond flower, dribble of milk….. see, can totally make good on plan use of it!

Trying very hard to keep my head up, come on strong people, lets fight on together – its not fighting the WOE its fighting the circumstances. the WOE WILL only help……. its just more challenging making the right choices at the vital moments!

Julz

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Hello all, can I join in?
    I did really well last year, from about August through to October, and lost 10.5kg following the Fast800. Since then I have largely kept off processed foods, white carbs and sugars – not religiously, but doing well, and I’ve maintained my weight within a 1.5kg window. This is great, but I seriously want to get off that 92kg plateau and lose some more! I feel like I’ve been circling and circling around the same few pounds.

I need to exercise a lot more, and I know it’s an old excuse but I’m homeschooling and the weather’s often terrible and I just don’t get the time I would like to put in. And of course it’s been dark and there’s a bloody pandemic on, so my head’s not in the right place. It’s obvious to me that sticking well to 800 cals will do something good so that is a (re)start I suppose!

I bought the cookbook yesterday, which is good for ideas, maybe less good if you’re already a keen cook. Oh and I’m doing TRE, 12pm to 8pm and that means I have 2h10 mins to wait until I have my spinach, mushrooms and poached eggs 😁

All the best to everyone – I kind of feel that if we’ve got through the past few months, we can get through the next few, especially now that it’s lighter. Just need the government to do as well as the NHS is with vaccinations!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the weekly thread, JoseJose. You’re not alone in finding things difficult right now, but are in the right place to get support and encouragement to get going with the BSD again. Mindset is an important factor and a tough nut to crack at present, so be gentle with yourself and don’t demand too much.

Perhaps try to start simply by weighing, measuring and recording everything consumed again, if nothing else, it will give you a picture of what is happening at the moment. That way you’ll have a start point from which to make adjustments if necessary.

However you decide to move forward, keep posting and we’ll do our best to support you. Keep on keeping on

on

Hi all, another 30 mins in front of the TV doing aerobics with ShaunT. Maybe that is something Jose Jose could try. Nice and warm inside so no worries about the weather.

No weight movement as hubby did cooking last night and it was a bit carby and higher in cals than I would have liked but I am not going to complain. We have a rule that he cooks 2 days a week (Tues and Sat) instead of me having to ask him ‘as a favour’ – would you mind cooking tonight. So now it is job but I cant interfere. He knows not to do ‘real’ carbs but he made a pork and bean casserole with white haricot – baked bean style. It was lovely but I really need to get back to doing a weekly menu so I could have seen it wouldnt have gone with my lunch of salad of bacon and avocado. Total result was about 68g carbs and 1100 cals. It will also help him as he goes into a flat spin when I ask what he is making so he will know exactly what to make and save him from a panic attack 🙂

My friend is doing better and was being moved to a covid ward instead of the high dependency ward yesterday. They are going to allow doctors her in France to do the vaccines now (dont know why they wouldnt before) but it is only the AstraZenica jab and it is not suitable for over 65s or people with other vulnerabilities so I miss out again. Fingers crossed hubby is getting his 1st jab next week.

Stay safe, it has been a long road but we should be able to see the end soon.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

If anyone has bought the newest Fast 800 recipe book (think it’s called Fast 800 Simple) it’s great – lots of tasty recipes. I’ve just made the tuna and bean salad and I’m really not a salad lover but it’s nice! It’s easily three portions too, I’ve added the tuna separately so the actual salad (3 portions) is:

100g mixed salad leaves (I’ve used baby butterhead because I hate things like rocket)
    1 vine tomato
    50g sliced raw red onion
    125g mixed bean salad (half a can of the 400g tin, drained weight)
    1 tbspn EVOO
    2 tbspns lemon juice
    Salt

That’s 114cal and 7g carbs

Toss it all together in the dressing and I’ve topped mine with half a 110g can of tuna in brine (57 cal) and some chopped mini pickled gherkins (25g for 8 cal)

Really nice and less than 200 cal! I’ll have the other third of the salad for tea tonight with a burger and my partner is having a portion for lunch too

L x

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh 100g chopped roasted pepper from a jar in that salad too!

on

What is EVOO please – found it Extra Virgin Olive Oil – lovely

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Interesting how different countries are approaching the covid vaccination. In the UK AstraZenika is approved for use for over 65s and I believe – though don’t know for sure – for the clinically vulnerable. Both OH and I have had the AstraZenika now and we’re both over 65.

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine-girl – EVOO = extra virgin olive oil

SunnyB yes isn’t it strange, WHO came out and said it was safe for use in over 65s too after Macron made his ridiculous statement – sunshine-girl it seems that the statement is related to lack of data rather than it not being safe so maybe once more data comes in France will change its policy! Fingers crossed, my dad is having his jab tomorrow, AstraZeneca and at 9.03 precisely!

• posted by JaxWilson
    on

Hello Everybody,
    I’m just starting – in Australia Melbourne. Have a lot of weight to shift but hoping the 800 will kick start my weight loss.
    Looking forward to doing this.
    Jax

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Warm welcome to you Jax, we’ll look forward to sharing your progress. Any problems, sing out and someone will respond, we’re here to offer encouragement and support, as well as celebrating the wins.

on

Welcome Jax, shout out if you need anything. Yes florab I know what they say is just lack of evidence even though the EU says its ok. However, just been to the pharmacy then called in at the doctors and they are not doing jabs and knew nothing about it. When I asked in the pharmacy she said they might be allowed at end of April or perhaps May. Maybe I should stop hubby from reading the bl—dy newspapers.

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Thanks for the nice welcome and suggestions. It’s kind of grim that everyone’s feeling a bit crap! Just cannot wait for this all to be actually under control. I’m in Scotland and the FM has said not to book any holidays, which of course the BBC illustrates with a picture of umbrellas on a nice sandy beach :sigh:

I’m actually going to have an hour to myself very soon and will spend it exercising instead of moaning about not exercising (when we all know that 90% of the problem is getting going!).

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello JoseJose, also from Scotland….based in NE

Go get yourself a little exercise – the only workout you regret is the one you dont do! Hard bit is indeed getting going….. even just a wee walk!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I finally have a few minutes to log on after helping a friend whose teenage son is struggling with severe anxiety. It meant a trip to A and E late last night and a return home by 2am .It’s an ongoing situation and worrying .

I hear lots of comments here about struggles and difficulties ? Don’t worry folks, it’s going to be alright.

Riccoh, I am on my second journal . I prefer it to the apps as I like writing meal plans, recipes, progress etc . I used to see regular weekly discards back in 2018/2019 , nothing like that now . I think I am trying to come to an acceptance of where I am and if I drop a few more kilos then that’s great but I accept like SG that it is a slow process now. I am still dealing with my excesses.

I tell you something, post Brexit import duties put paid to my Montezuma Absolute Black order from the Uk. After placing the order ( albeit for 50€ ) I received a message from the delivery company that import duties of 31.50€ were due !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Montezuma were very understanding when I said I wanted to cancel . They , like lots of other small companies are lost in all the new customs regulations . Anyway ,it was with a heavy heart that I refused delivery of the parcel yesterday and it is being returned to the Uk and I can be reimbursed .

I cannot justify buying Absolute Black at that price so I will do without .

Well done Nhatha on reaching your goals on the scales and the health markers ! You have a wonderful , supportive wife and we are glad to have helped a bit too . All the very best as you move forward .

Good to see you articfox . We miss you when you don’t check in . You have a lot of challenges there too but you always find a way through .

Hi Dawn ! Good to see you too . Yes, it’s tough when you can’t quite find the motivation to stick to this way of eating 100 % . It always helps me to have a reboot fast day if I feel I have succumbed to some sort of excess. Just remember it takes time to rid yourself of habitual behaviour but it is peaceful when you get there ! I never have days off, ie eating high carb as I used to , just eating too much of even the healthy stuff . I think you are right to plan and really get your head around not deviating from that for a time . Short term targets and you could surprise yourself to find you have developed new habits .

Great results RedRooster ! 5:2 would be a good plan as you say .

Don’t get discouraged RubyG , just keep going with your hubby .

Hi Kiltgirl/Elaine . Good to hear you are inspired and loving the food and recipes, that’s great . If you ever feel a bit wobbly, come and talk to us . We are definitely your tribe ! Believe in yourself and your staying power !

How are you doing Alipetunia/Alison ? Have you tried anything else to ‘get things moving ? We had a recent discussion about constipation remedies . Get straight back on plan Alison, we are with you !

SG, we never worry about you because you are very focused and know exactly what to do . You have managed your diabetes masterfully . What’s wrong with a bit of morning TV slobbery ? We had such a lovely sunny day today , didn’t we ? It really lifts the spirits and got me started on a bit of Spring cleaning , dusting and cleaning my collection of Mariage Frères tea tins now that hubby has finished freshening up the kitchen . It was good to have the windows wide open to get rid of the smell of paint .

Talking of hubbies cooking . Mine does frequently , but we often end up having different meals as he likes his red meat and I favour fish . We adapt somehow. So glad your friend is getting better.

You probably know by now that both sunshinegirl and myself live in France so don’t get us started on the shambolic French vaccination programme !!

I totally understand what you are saying Lauren ! It is tough , very tough but I am daring to be optimistic . Spring is on its way and that will bring a sense of renewal and hope , but yes it is ok not to feel ok . None of us is perfect but I think those of us that have been following this WOE for some time now have managed to instill long term positive changes . It does take time and inevitably involves some trial and error . We have all slipped up, had blips whatever but we must remember our achievements not any slight deviations . It’s ok . Sunny is right . We should not allow this WOE to stress us.

I agree Elaine. Junk food never makes us feel good . I see it as abusing our bodies with processed chemicals, additives and other rubbish .

Dig in workingfromthefridge . You will get there . I remember (peri) menopause was no fun . Hope your checks help you to mange the symptoms.

I love your honest posts Julz and the way you are constantly learning about yourself . Whatever happens you always find a way back . I agree totally with your vision of fighting the circumstances, not the WOE . We are going to come out of this stronger !

Just think everyone. I bet you can find several things you have achieved since we were thrust into this horrendous situation. Focus on what we have achieved, however small .

Welcome JoseJose ! Yes, we can get through this . All the very best with your target, you will do it ! Stay with us ! I never eat before 12pm, often later these days too .

Hi JaxWilson and a very warm welcome to you ! You are in the right place . We have other Aussies on the forum . MerryMelba is from Melbourne too . I can’t wait to visit your city ( my two sons are in Australia ) but we only got to Tasmania and Cairns during our last visit in 2018 . My son was living in Melbourne but escaped lockdown to join his brother in Cairns .

Hopefully your recent short term lockdown was effective ? France is still avoiding another lockdown and nothing is likely to change for another couple of weeks but the variants are causing concern.

I love the sense of solidarity on the thread . We are all in this together and we are STILL here . We are all here to offer support and a boost when we need it . Just shout if you are struggling xx

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to catch up with everyone .

I will be checking on those who haven’t yet shown up this week 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

While we are sharing simple recipes , here is one for Peruvian chicken. It’s basically a marinade you can daube on a whole chicken or pieces .

Blend all the ingredients in a small blender or food processor and process until you have a smoothish paste .
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon grated lime zest
    2 teaspooons fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    I tablespoon ground cumin
    I tablespoon salt
    I tablespoon paprika
    I teaspoon dried oregano
    Half teaspoon ground pepper
    Half teaspoon onion powder

I used the paste on a whole chicken and then roasted it in the oven 200 ° C
    No carbs but calories vary from about 350 for a thigh, 230 for a drumstick, 193 for a breast. The recipe is from Squeaky Clean Keto Bu Mellissa Sevigny . I used lots of her recipes as they are nut and dairy free . My hemp milk is from there

• posted by florob85
    on

Share away Elaine, nothing wrong with a bit of waffle!

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s what I was going to say ,Lauren..you waffle away as much as you want Elaine ! Must turn in now but I’ll be back !
    Remember we are a friendly,understanding, forgiving lot and we never judge and love a bit of waffle…just not the edible ones ! 😂

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Oh Elaine, I am an oversharer too….. typing thoughts and talking honestly about things really helps with rationalising and learning.
    Best of luck with the job hunting. You are not defined by your stature or your weight….. focus on your skills, knowledge, personality, courage, strength, experience, warmth….. those are the things employers want to know about and the things that make you valuable. They dont care if you are 5ft tall, 50 years, 7ft tall with pink hair or any variant in-between. Oh and you arer not sinking, you are swimming all the way out of a flooded rabbit hole – we will be here to lend a hand and keep you afloat!

Good day for me yesterday, a little extended fast to try and get me back on track and its really really helped. Improved weather, lighter evenings, light at end of tunnel….I’m beginning to see the positives adn its really helping me take better care of myself and find my way back to wanting this consistent, healthy WOE (I wasnt way off plan or anything – just feeling flat and low about everything…. and i wanted far to much oats, yogurt and raisins! Haha)

• posted by JGwen
    on

I just wanted to flag up to the group an interesting talk on the facebook group for InsulinIQ. which is the group run by Dr Bikman, For those who do not know Dr Bikman is an expert / researcher etc who is particularly focused on metabolism at a cellular level.

The most recent talk was on what insulin does to metabolic rate in the body. He talked through some research papers on the difference on metabolic rates of high carb v low carb diet. He also talked about the impact insulin has on fat cells willingness to give up their contents. –

These talks are only available for a month, so I will not add a link on the take a look at this thread. But wanted to alert people to a source of very helpful information. I think they are also available on the InsulinIQ website as well.

• posted by florob85
    on

Julz your message made me laugh, it sounded like your fasting had improved the weather 😂 – I think we should all try if so! Maybe if we all fast we can end the pandemic with positive metabolic energy!

• posted by JoseJose
    on

<wave to WindyJulz from Edinburgh!>

4:30pm was a real craving low for me yesterday so I’m going to try a cup of Bovril today, as Kiltgirl suggests – am looking quite forward to it 😂 How the pandemic has adjusted our expectations for excitement!

I’ve lost a couple of pounds since (re)starting in earnest on Tuesday – I’m still hovering around my norm though so taking that as a cautious positive rather than a celebration.

It’s such a nice day, I’m going for an energetic uphill walk during lunch. Have a great day, everyone 🌤

on

Won’t reply to everyone but thanks so much for the crepe ideas (it’s still in boot) and also the salad and chicken recipes. Welcome Jax and Josejose. Can I just say you did amazingly well to lose all that weight last year Without the recipe book. I’m a keen cook but I use it like a bible as the food is so tasty and also I can’t be bothered working out calorie count on everything. Sitting eating Greek salad now and will definitely look at buying that new book. Actually sat and went through recipe book the other day and decided to try to vary diet – so easy to make same stuff over and over. Had celeriac and leek mash last night with salmon – huge portion for 110 cals and a change from cauliflower.
    I was also really surprised to hear about French rules on vaccine. Hope it gets sorted soon. Husband had Pfizer jab last night. He is only 56 so we were surprised he was offered it so soon. Possibly as he has asthma?? Hope everyone is enjoying slightly warmer weather – even if we’re back to boggy walks. Oh and kiltgirl please keep waffling!

on

Hi all, so nice to see so much enthusiasm on the thread. Everyone is giving all they have and we are all amazing.

Workingfrom… the French rules on vaccinations are just a load of nonsense to cover up that they forgot to order the vaccines in time and every other country in the world (exaggeration) got there first and France and the whole of Europe got left out. The AstraZenica story is just that, a story, so if you are older and have had it dont worry, it is effective. As of 17th Feb France has carried out 2,5 million first does and nearly 1 million second. So a total of 3.5 million. Absolutely deplorable. Hubby is 76 and hasnt had his first yet (it was cancelled), now due on 25th, We shall see. I think my 42 year old daughter in the UK will get her jab before I get mine!!!!!

Ok, no downers here, just lets keep on keeping on…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

just writing a quick note so I will get email reminders for this thread, midway reading thru it but sleepy now. Will add someilthing tomorrow x.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

and now I need to tick the box lol

on

Sunshine girl that is quite rubbish. Really hope you get your jabs soon. I’m from NZ originally so have family there living in a Covid-free bubble. My dad (80) reckons he’ll get vaccine in September but that’s ok as there is no threat. But I think it will be so hard for them to gradually lift border controls. So hard to get your head around, whatever the situation.

• posted by Donnadoobie
    on

Hi Everyone, can I add my name to the weekly thread?

doing this for the second time, last time was Jan- March 2016, lost 13lbs to add to the 33 I lost on 5:2

Sadly lockdown has added back about 2 stone back and I find myself struggling to lose weight this time.

Positive thought this week is that it is light when I get up and the bulbs are all coming up in the garden. Brighter days are coming.

Please log in or register to post a reply.