Let's keep going in 2021 ! One week at a time beginning February 16th 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Donna, good to see you here and we’re pleased you decided to join the weekly thread. Just shout out if you need advice or encouragement and keep us posted on progress…. we love to celebrate. Great that you are recognising positives … the lighter nights and spring bulbs are certainly a huge bonus.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, hope you are all looking forward to the weekend. Donna, I read from your other posts that you have been doing low carb for a lot of the time. Maybe that is why you are not having the dramatic losses you hoped for. You have been on a diet so your body is not finding this so much different. As someone who is constantly on this plan in varying degrees I know that if I make a big effort I can still lose 4lbs Mon to Fri so I know it always works for me and it will for you.

After my big moan about the French system for jabs I had a rather surprising phone call yesterday from the hospital hubby is booked in at. Asked if I still wanted a jab. I thought they had mixed me up with my hubby so I said I tried to make an appt but realised I wasnt in the category. It was for over 50 with diabetes but PS which I didnt realise was Personnelle Sante i.e. medical staff. So I immediately cancelled. They must have still had my contact details on record and she was sure it was for Denise. I told her when my husband is having his jab so she said I could go at the same time. So yeahhhhhh Thursday for both of us.

What do they say about giving with one hand and taking with the other. Last night we received an email from Brittany Ferries saying all crossings are cancelled for the forseeable future, so we cant get back to the UK even if we have had our jabs. I am sure there will be other ways of getting there but it is not worth us going through the process until we are absolutely sure we are able i.e. jabs, travel arrangements and UK and French regulations. No point in getting our hopes up again as this has been happening so many times. We will get there… one day. Fingers crossed for the jab on Thursday.

• posted by Donnadoobie
    on

Thanks Sunshine-girl. Yes I and thought of that too about it not being so different for my body. I have been low carb since mid 2015, don’t often cheat! I often don’t eat for much of the day either, don’t get so hungry like I used to.

I guess this time will be a slower process. it I am determined to get there!

• posted by florob85
    on

Great news about your jab sunshine girl

Elaine, don’t beat yourself up – terrible headaches are debilitating and I well know how having a bad back on top can be the last straw! Sometimes you have to break the rules to just feel like a human being so don’t worry about it, just pick yourself up and start again at the next meal, if it’s any consolation I’ve found the carb withdrawal headaches, whilst horrendous, do disappear after a week or so, and I’ve never found things like increasing water intake or salt makes a jot of difference, once you have one of those headaches sometimes literally only a little carb will help. Maybe not the right attitude to have but I think it’s better to have a tiny bit of something and feel better and just carry on afterwards than suffer – might take longer to get into ketosis etc. but sometimes life is too short to feel horribly unwell!

L x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

RubyG- I think only a couple of hours of deep sleep is normal, it’s only supposed to be 12-18% of the time you are asleep, according to my fitbit. The rest should be a mixture of REM and light sleep.

This week has been a mixed bag for me- I went knowingly off plan and onto cake for my birthday and again 3 days later for more of my cake- so not surprisingly a bit heavier than I was last week, so I decided I had better have a healthy 800 cal day today if possible- at work I refused prawn crackers (omg I love them and can’t stop at just one so I hid them by putting something else in front of them- other people knew they were there so it was fine but I just needed them to be out of sight when I went in to make coffee, get lunch etc! )- and I also refused someone else’s birthday cake!
    I made the feta, cauli and leek soup last night and had leftovers for lunch- omg, how good is it?! Also hubby and all 3 kids like it too, so that’s a win 😁.
    The downside of this week has been getting an abnormal smear test so next step is a colposcopy the week after next- I actually comfort ate some danish pastries at work yesterday which I’ve not done for a long time specifically because of that result…another reason for today needing to be a really good day. It’s really thrown me but trying to keep it in perspective and worrying won’t help, I know.
    I then went for a good run so that was the healthier side of my reaction!
    Also, SG, I had been mulling over my weekly nutella since we talked about it last week so I bought an alternative (Meridian cocoa and hazelnut butter) to try, which has no palm oil, it has sunflower oil instead, a lot more hazelnuts by percentage, and only a tiny bit of sugar (agave syrup), so vastly more BSD friendly- still a treat, but so much better than nutella, and it tastes out of this world. We tried it with pancakes on Tuesday.
    Love to all xxx

on

Hi Tulip. I was only 21 when I had an abnormal smear. Went on to have a colposcopy and then 6 months later with another abnormal smear I had to have a wedge disection of the cervix. Dont get too worried – as for me – well you know I am still here some 47 years later and never had another bad result in all those years. I was told carrying a baby would be difficult due to a weakened cervix wall but I did that and she is 42. Just get it sorted and all will be fine. Glad to hear about the nutella although I will be putting my daughter out of a job. Just need to tackle the pain au chocolate now 🙂 🙂 🙂 . Dont worry, Im not giving up the wine any day soon so I cant preach, just drinking a lot less of it.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you SG- for sharing your reassuring story ☺☺
    Yes, I have been thinking about the pain au chocolat too!! But not come to any conclusions yet 🤣….I will let you know!

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Tulip sorry to hear about the abnormal smear but great you will be seen again soon. That’s the benefit of smears, eh? I had one years ago and had small surgery for it and it’s been fine since. All the best and great work on the Nutella switch. Think of all the orangutans you’re saving. Sunshine girl that’s great news about the jab! 💪 Elaine a few carbs to cure a headache sounds just the thing. Day off today so have done yoga, been for a big walk and had the small thrill of new ski salopettes arriving. I splashed out on sweaty Betty jacket last year (still unworn) but had to buy xl. Pleased the large size salopettes fit! (Took a gamble but figured if they didn’t I’d work on it) Hoping to bust the outfit out on the slopes one day soon!

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine-girl (or anyone else!) – I note in some of the other forums you’ve said you make aubergine lasagne – I do this too and have done for years but I wondered if you have any tips for making it drier! I’ve made it tonight and just put it in the oven, I salted the aubergine and precooked it to draw off as much water as possible, and I reduced the mince mix down until it was almost bone dry and yet it still looks so so wet – I know it’ll be nice, but it’s always a bit disappointing when it’s all wet and gloopy! Any tips from the pro?!

on

hi florob, just caught a glance at my phone and saw your dilemma. Only got a min before corrie starts. Never ever salt aubergine. That is the old method when aubergines used to be wet and bitter. That fault has been bred out of them and you know what happens when you add salt, they become soggy. Okay, I just slice the aubergine in lengthways strips, place on some baking parchment to stop sticking on a large tray, spray with oil and stick in the oven for about 25 mins or until softened. Then use in place of the pasta sheets. Hope that helps.

• posted by florob85
    on

Ah ok I shall try that next time! It actually wasn’t so wet as it looked but still could be drier!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

ooh good aubergine tips- I had wondered how it would work- I have made it with courgette before and it was wetter than pasta- would this be a good method to use with courgette too? Well I say courgette, really marrows- I had a bumper crop last year!

Thank you workingfromthefridge- that is definitely a good way to think about it, as things can be caught early 😁…also good to hear you were fine too xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m feeling really lousy today and struggling to eat anything. I had a very severe asthma attack yesterday at noon. I was lucky to be able to phone into my GP and they got him on the line right away to give me some advice on how much medication to take. Unfortunately I am extremely sensitive to medications and I’d never taken so much before. Turns out what he recommended is too much for me and I spend the afternoon and evening struggling with symptoms of overdose, including extreme shaking and trembling. I’m better after a long sleep, but feeling tired and headachy today. It would be very nice to lose some weight as I think it would improve my asthma. Another motivation for sure.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Workingfromthefridge- orangutans! Good point 😁
    Arcticfox- sounds very unpleasant! Glad you are better today x
    SG- my 13 y o daughter is making pancakes for tomorrow morning- I know this is still carby but less sugar and I will be having more healthy filling (berries, nutella alternative, live greek yog) to carb ratio. Thought I would see how that is…I suggested it as she kind of owed me a favour and she makes them far better than me- she also bakes all the birthday cakes in the house now as I have zero patience for presentation 😂….I love savoury cooking though and do almost all of that.

xxx

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Morning everyone. Feeling good as I’ve lost a solid 3lbs since Tuesday – it’s really motivating, isn’t it? I definitely had 1100 cals on one of those days, tsk, but onwards and upwards.

Last night we had Japanese ginger pork: one pork fillet between three or four people, cut into 1/2cm slices. Make a marinade from 4 cloves garlic, about 5cm of fresh ginger (mince both), 2 tbsps soy, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tbsp oil (I use light olive oil), 1 or 2 tsps sesame oil – leave it to marinate for an hour or so then fry/braise it on a medium heat (otherwise the sauce catches). I made rice/veg for the other two in my family but I had fried shredded cabbage with sesame seeds and chilli flakes. I put it into My Fitness Pal (1/3 of a pork fillet – not an exact science) and it came to 276 cals per portion, 100 of those being oil which I’m ok with but you can reduce if you like. It’s so tasty and pretty quick as well.

Tulip1, I hope the smear follow-up goes well. I’m going next week for my smear (ugh), it’s nobody’s favourite thing, is it? Fingers crossed. And enjoy the pancakes 😁

Wendleg and Kiltgirl, the strain is really showing now on the teenagers, isn’t it? Mine has been relatively cheerful throughout but he’s flagging now. His school could have him in next week for practical classes but they seem not to be doing that and he and his friends are angry. They are desperate for a bit of normality.

Stay well everyone and have a great day. The birds are really gearing up here and I’m going for a long walk – bliss.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

Can anyone suggest any super low carb lunch ideas? I can sort dinners no problem but I’m running out of ideas for lunch! For context I work full time so can’t do loads of cooking in the middle of the day, I’m really not keen on salad or soup (soup makes me feel sick, reminds me of being ill as a child, salad is just so boring and I don’t like any peppery or bitter leaves or avocado and I’m not keen on olive oil to be honest) and I’m not mad on eggs.

I usually tend to end up either having Greek yoghurt or skyr with nuts and seeds, or a sort of picky plate with a chunk of cheese, a bit of ham, some almonds and a handful of cucumber or spinach which I force down but can’t say I enjoy. But although this is within my calories and technically low carb, along with the mountain of veg I eat with my dinner (sprouts, or broccoli or cabbage or roasted peppers and onion etc) it’s pushing me over 20g carbs for the day and I’m really trying to get that lower because I’m pretty sure I’m insulin resistant but it just seems impossible. I really don’t know what to eat! I’ve tried playing with portion sizes too – when I say Greek yoghurt with nuts I mean literally 100g max with say 10g almonds and 5g chia seeds so I’m not eating to excess. A chunk of cheese means like a babybel or similar, a few almonds means 10g, I’ve even given up on my beloved cashews because I know they are higher in carbs. Also, I know healthy fats is the way to up the calorie count but all the healthy fats I enjoy (yoghurt, cheese, nuts etc) also contain carbs! Even avocado which I hate but would add if I had to contains carbs and I’m really not a fan of sloshing oil everywhere, it ruins the texture of things for me – I use olive oil in cooking and I use it sparingly in a salad dressing but it’s just not that appealing to me.

Ideas welcome!

Lauren

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Jose Jose….thank you, and I hope your smear goes ok….I don’t really mind going, but I am super squeamish about the dentist, which I dread far more! Aware this probably isn’t normal 🤣

Lauren- any chance u like houmous? xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Tulip I’m super squeamish about the dentist too!

I vaguely like hummus but it’s the same problem isn’t it, carby and whatever you put with it is also carby! I just feel like I am eating really well and healthily but consistently 30-50g carbs and I’d love to just get that that bit lower

• posted by RubyG
    on

Lauren, the only low carb and low cal I can think of is tinned tuna, fresh prawns, maybe with a bit of mayo, capers, kimchi, etc.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I am trying the cauliflower pizza base recipe tonight, we’ll see if that works or not. Toppings will be anchovies, capers, olives, garlic and mozzarella.
    Spent 4 hours today cutting back brambles, it felt good to be working hard outdoors again, even if the not fitbit doesn’t recognise bending down in the same place!
    At least I wasn’t thinking about eating while out gardening, roll on spring.

• posted by Riccoh
    on

RubyG. We were in Tassie, we live in Sydney, and borrowed my brother’s truck to travel about 100kms return. It was a very rough ride and my fitbit recorded every bump. I had a great step count that day! I now have an iwatch.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Lauren, I’ve been struggling with what to eat as well. I do have a couple of standbys though. One is a cheese salad sort of thing. Chopped cucumber and red or green bell peppers and cubes of cheese mixed with mayonaise. You could probably use whatever crispy veggies you like. On the rare occassions that I feel like fish, I will heat some frozen broccoli in the microwave and add a tin of sardines or mackerel. It doesn’t sound appetizing, but is surprisingly good.

• posted by HappiR
    on

Hi All,
    I’m new to the site. And I’ve just read the BSD book.
    I have a question and wondered if anyone else here may have a thought to share.

Is there any harm in dividing the meals in the BSD into say 6 small meals instead of 3? I know the calorie intake will be the same but just wondered if there was a particular reason eg ‘food break’ or fast time between meals?

I had gastric sleeve surgery 4 years ago. Lost 65kgs. Have been able to keep most of it off. Looking at this as a way of eating that will be sustainable for both myself and my husband who is pre-diabetic.

The question may be silly but because of my gastric sleeve surgery I was advised to, and am used to, eating 6 times a day for the last 4 years.

I’m thinking it would make no difference but just wondered if there were any other post bariatric surgery people out there on the BSD that may have helpful experience?

Many thanks 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Florob….not just me with the dentist then 😁😂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone and welcome Donnadoobie and HappiR . I have updated the list and it’s growing !!

Just a big hug first of all to anyone worrying about health issues . You just have to deal with them which is what you are doing and don’t be fearful . You will be fine Tulip/Clare . Noone is keen on the dentist either but we need our teeth !

Lots of very positive support on the thread which is uplifting to read ! I don’t salt aubergine slices either 😉

Articfox, how are you feeling now ? Your asthma attack must have been very scary .

Brilliant news SG about your vaccines . No news here yet and I doubt we will get any updates before end March now. It is frustrating not being able to plan your trip to the Uk with certainty . Stay strong .

HappiR , welcome and well done for maintaining that incredible weight discard . I don’t have any experience of surgery so cannot really advise with any authority . I think it is generally accepted that you shouldn’t do ‘little and often” on this way of eating because you are constantly provoking an insulin response and your system never gets a break from digestion .

However, you are used to eating several small meals post gastric sleeve and that has obviously worked for you ? I assume you cannot handle large portions ? Maybe tell us a bit more about the foods you eat ? For sure low carb choices will definitely help your hubby and keep the diabetes at bay . I wonder if it would be best to chat with your doctor just to be sure he thinks changing your meal schedule will be ok for you ? I think you have done brilliantly 4 years on so you have a good routine . Keep us updated .

Have a good Sunday everyone . We have milder temperatures here but also really annoying winds which normally bring rain .
    xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi HappiR

Welcome to the forum, none of us are doctors so we can only give advice from our own experience. –

The BSD is designed as a short term weight discard program of 8 to 12 weeks at present. (loss suggests you are going to want to find it again, so we prefer to talk about discard) Those of us with a lot of weight to discard have looked into the science behind this way of eating to help us continue longer. The key is not about splitting your calories but keeping your insulin levels low.

It is Insulin which dictates if your body is in fat burning mode or sugar storage mode. – Each time you eat something which contains enough carbs to cause an insulin spike it takes time for that insulin response to fade away. The longer you can keep your insulin levels low enough to be in fat burning mode the better. If you have been eating high carb for a long time you are likely to find that the spike of insulin after eating is very high and takes much longer to drop down than a normal insulin response. – You could control insulin levels by tightly controlling your carb intake, (ie less than 20g of carbs a day split equally between the 6 meals) and splitting the meals into very small meals, or you could do it by increasing the periods when you do not eat anything – so you will see people on the forum talking about 18:8,, or 20:4 which is an eating window of 8 hours or 4 hours in a day.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thanks Wendy 😘

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks for the ideas all

• posted by RubyG
    on

Report-back on the cauliflower pizza – it worked! Better than anticipated, but could have been even better. The recipe I followed used 1 egg to bind the cauli base, I think I will use 2 eggs next time, and also I cooked the base for much longer than the recipe (as many others had suggested in comments I had seen).
    I used classic pizza toppings which we like, and it cut with a pizza wheel and you could pick it up and eat as a slice (although only just), which I was doubtful of when I started out.
    I will make it again.
    Good afternoon in the garden again kept me away from the fridge 🙂
    Next week here we come!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Wendy, I think the overdose was actually scarier than the asthma attack in the end as that has never happened to me before. I discovered today while I was sowing some plants that it was the potting mixture that set me off. I had been sowing seeds Thurs on my lunch break as well, but didn’t connect the two things. Luckily this time I recognized what was happening and took my inhaler before it got bad. I was feeling rather hungover Friday and Saturday, but almost back to normal today.
    We are finally getting some warmer weather this week, so I got some exercise shovelling all the snow that we had Thurs night away from the foundation. It slides off my metal roof and makes big mountains right next to the foundation, and my sump pump is on its last legs, so want to have as little melt happening right next to the house as possible. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is spring quite yet as we are supposed to be back below freezing next week and more snow in the forecast. Have the sown seeds sitting in my sunny bay window. A number of annual and perennial flowers mostly, but also some green onions and shallots. Today I also planted the first of the tomatoes I am growing for a plant sale I am planning for early May.
    I’m off now to see my horse before I run out of energy!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Just a quick check in from me. Firstly a shout out to those struggling, tough times and more so if compounded by health problems. We also know this WOE will only help support us and improve our health and any associated aches and pains.

Ive had a pretty reasonable weekend. Struggled a little yesterday afternoon but other than that feeling pretty positive.
    I braved the scales on Saturday for the first time this year. I am up 10lbs from my lightest weight which to be honest was inevitable. But if i look back 12 months i am still 1st lighter than last Feb. Reflection, it wasnt christmas that did the damage, I was in control then, but Jan and Feb have been tough, they always are from an animal management and scottish winter perspective, and this year has had lockdown as well. I now have a number to work from and find the promise of regular weigh ins motivating! I’m gonna weigh Tuesdays and Saturdays like i did when i first started on this mission last April.

Florob – lunch idea….. egg wraps with tuna, cold meat etc. Easy to do, 1 egg per wrap (and they dont taste eggy, im no egg fan but like these) and then fill with a protein source and any bits of veg you like to add crunch – lettuce, peppers, sugarsnaps, onion, cucumber. Egg muffins are also pretty good. Again – not really eggy….. Otherwise, just cold meat or fish with maybe a wee ‘dip’ – seasoned mayo, creme fresh, guacamole?

Kitlgirl – dont let 1 weigh in get you down. Fluid in vs fluid iut can make a difference, and if you can feel the puffyness, give it a few days to settle, be strict low cab adn hop back on the scales…. you may well see a quick ‘fix’ of the numbers.

RubyG – I do like a cauli pizza too. A bit of an effort to make but really decent!

PS – I hate the dentist too!! Very few people in this world have seen my cry, but my dentist had full on blubbing!! So embarrassed. The sight of me fleeing out of the surgery, red faced, dishevelled and sobbing, would have been enough to put anyone off venturing in!
    Must actually make an appointment – ive been hiding from them using lockdown as an excuse!!

Roll on Monday – lets make it count!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Julz,
    Thank you! I have definitely cried at the dentist before too!
    How do you make the egg wrap and egg muffins? Are they in the recipe section on this site….I looooove eggs 😍
    Thanks,
    Clare xx

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Hi everyone- just checking in before probably another forum site comes up for the week. Welcome to Newcomers too. I need to stop mucking about and actually do the diet properly this week instead of wondering why weight is to yo yo ing. Arctic fox that is very scary – hope you are ok now. I don’t know where you live but I imagine it like the Shipping News – a long way from doc. Elaine i do yoga for half an hour twice a week online (7.30 to 8am) and heartily recommend instructor if you want me to put you in touch? It’s been a lifeline during lockdown. Good tips re 🍆 (not a sexual emoji for a change) and I would say the lunches best thing is to just go for normal dinners and freeze them (fish pie/ Bolognese with spaghetti/ chicken bulgur wheat risotto). Or I have Greek salad a lot – 200 cals with only tbsp oil. jgwen thanks as ever for the science bit – you are always so good at explaining it. Right – this week will be better than last!!
    Ps whenever I go for smear I think of friend whose doc suggested she take up Pilates after the speculum fell out. She blamed her large headed husband and subsequent large headed baby and always tells the story with the suggestion all the nurse’s words bounced around the echo chamber that was her nether regions.

• posted by JoseJose
    on

Morning everyone,
    Another dental treatment non-fan here….. 🙁

I have found a really good 4:30-5:30pm snack. (We usually eat at 7pm-ish and I get so hungry at that time…) A third of a Chinese cabbage, which is negligible calories, shredded finely and dressed with 2tbsps Greek yogurt mixed with 1tsp sesame oil and a wee dash of something vinegary. Then you add a tbsp or two of kimchi and mix well. It’s so delicious and just – JUST – enough to keep me going till dinner. I calculated it at about 90-100 cals on MFP. Happy to have kimchi for the probiotic benefits too.

I had a slight gain of a pound, nothing to worry about, but it’s sad that it makes me sad. Still, I guess we all know it’s three steps forward and one step back and it’s the overall trend that counts. I did eat quite a bit of really delicious steak that was cooked for me last night. (But no potatoes! No wine! No pudding! Just veg!)

Overall I’m down on the week, nothing astonishing like the first week back in August when I lost half a stone, but still good!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Egg wraps
    1 egg per wrap, beat and season, i add mixed herbs and sometimes a wee bit of dried hard cheese.
    Heat a frying pan and oil (EVO or coconut)
    pour egg into the pan and cook gently like a pancake.
    Dont be tempted to flip it too soon – its quite fragile and can tear but once cooked (maybe 3-4 mins if done slowly) turn it over and cook second side.
    ta-da. Once little egg wrap to fill with any “sandwich” favourite. Or indeed make for fajitas.

Egg muffins
    Beat eggs….. dunnon maybe 4. Season, add pretty much anything you like – cooked bacon, chorizo, onions, broccoli, tomatoes, olives – add in some grated cheese. mix it all up and pop into greased muffin tin / cases and bake in the oven 200 degrees for about 20 mins. I use silicon muffin cases, they are super easy to work with. This it is roughly 1 egg per muffin so 4 eggs = 4 muffins depending on size of cases etc. I did these for christmas breakfast! Yum!

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m hungry now!

Another take on the egg muffins is to line the muffin pan with 1 or 2 slices of ham (depends how thick the ham is), drop in a whole egg unbeaten, top with some sundried tomatoes and oregano and maybe a sprinkling of parmesan. Bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes.
    I’m thinking I must try more variations on this (spinach and feta or ricotta) as they are so handy.

Cauliflower and leek soup for lunch today, with a few parmesan crisps for texture and umami-ness.

• posted by HappiR
    on

Thank you for your reply.

All good suggestions. I actually got the BSD suggestion from my GP. (I live in Australia) Although my GP is not my gastric sleeve specialist.

I personally do not have elevated blood sugar. I do have slightly high cholesterol (but its my HDL so called ‘good cholesterol’ that is elevated).

After reading the BSD book it is not really very different from the way I have been eating since WLS but I could certainly be more on top of refined carbs and the sugar content of food. As some not so great food choices have come back into the regular diet. That is why the BSD appealed to me as it doesn’t require too many major food changes. The meals my nutritionist recommended after WLS consist of a ratio or 50% protein 25% Green veg 25% carb. These are small portions which probably look more like a kids meal size. My ‘snacks’ should be around the 100Cal mark. Nuts etc were recommended. So all in all not too different. 4 years out from surgery I can certainly eat more that at first, although not as much pre surgury.

Unfortunately my husband is not at all wanting to try the fast 800 but is willing to eat according to the BSD foods. I may have success in getting him to try the 5:2 idea (or something close to it).

Anyway, see how we go. Did my grocery shop and have only bought things that fit in with the BSD. Will get blood tests retaken in 3 months and see how it is going for us. 🙂

on

Hi everyone, well I have had a terrible weekend diet-wise. I just totally rebelled and ate and drank things I never thought I would, I even nicked half a roast potato from hubby with Sunday lunch. Totally regret it but it is over and done with now. My mum used a saying about me that goes – there was a little girl…… etc and when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was wicked. That is me, all or nothing which is why I can be so strict with my diet, probably because I know if I let go I will lose the plot. This is the first time in nearly 5 years that I have just let go. Lockdown fever can be blamed and disappointment after disappointment, latest being our ferry crossings being cancelled. Will wait to see what Boris says tonight.

RubyG, I dont think adding an extra egg is the answer. All it will do is give you more of an omeletty base. The egg is just there to bind it all together. What I do is twice bake the base by flattening it out on some greaseproof paper and then flipping it over and cooking on the other side before putting the toppings on and then baking again. Makes it a bit firmer.

Try to have a good week everyone and I will try to behave. I have 3 weeks to my next medical checkup so that will motivate me.

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine girl I think falling off the wagon every once in a while, particularly at this horrible time, is totally understandable and more than forgivable! Constant disappointment is awful – I predict a fall for me this week as we’ve just found out we can’t get married so will be postponing/rearranging for the fourth time. Chocolate may be needed, the cheap delicious kind, not the expensive stuff!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi HappiR, I started the BSD to support my husband who was diagnosed pre-diabetic, was very overweight and had been on BP meds for more than 5 years. I was also overweight, but my bloods were OK. If I had suggested 800cals per day straight off I think he would have rebelled, but he was lured by the idea of rapid weight loss, reversing his pre-diabetes and coming off the BP meds. It helped that we were about 8 weeks pre-Christmas, and I think he was prepared to try something radical but for a limited duration.
    By Christmas, he had lost over 2 stone, reduced his BP meds significantly, and the assumption is his bloods should be improved (no tests done since October). He has also got used to this way of eating, is enjoying the weight loss and wearing new clothes, and although we are not strictly following 800cals 7 days a week, we are keeping to low carb and portion control and he is still losing (now 3.5st down since October 2020). His GP has been supportive too.
    Good luck!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl and florob85, I feel your pain!

I had a weekend like that the other weekend, and I have no sense of restraint – I find abstaining easier, which is why I can’t eat 10 almonds, the rest of the bag calls to me until they’re finished, then they can’t do any more harm!
    S-G, thank you for the suggestion about the cauli pizza base, I did cook it for about an hour in total, until it was very dry and crispy, but it was still very fragile when picked up as a slice. It held, but only just. The recipe called for 1 cauliflower, 1 egg and 15g parmesan, with no mention of size of cauliflower.

florob85 – cliche I know, but be kind to yourself. If you need chocolate, and chocolate will help, I would have chocolate, but give yourself a limit – time or quantity or both, with a plan to face the demons of disappointment and plan afresh. My niece is in the same position re. wedding plans.

• posted by wendleg
    on

So sorry about the disappointments and thwarted plans . It’s not always easy to see the positive side of things I know . SG , don’t worry , you know how to pull things back . The situation does seem to be easing slowly in the UK so don’t give up hope.

Lauren you can’t have your wedding yet but you have your partner and your loving relationship and just think how fabulous you are going to feel once you can get married .

I am off to setup the new weekly thread xx

on

Oh florob I am so sorry about your wedding. I feel a bit like a petulant child stamping my feet now. I am just not very good at showing or accepting weakness in myself. Everything has to be just so. Need to give myself some credit where it is due. 5 years following this diet for diabetes control is certainly something to be proud of. Things will get better, we all know that but the waiting has got to the point where patience certainly is a virtue. Stay strong everyone and stay safe.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren- bless you, that must be so hard 💕💕….sounds like weddings will be on before too long from today’s announcements? Not had time for a proper look yet tho x

SG, I think we all have faith in you to get back on the wagon xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh no don’t worry sunshine girl it’s fine, I always say to my students “look if something is getting you down, then it’s important, it doesn’t matter what everyone else is going through!” And that’s true here too, we all have our own trials and tribulations, especially at the moment, and that should never be belittled or hidden – you have made an amazing commitment so you should be proud of that and frustration when you feel you’ve let yourself down (which you haven’t) is understandable!

Tulip, yes frustratingly April 12th at earliest, our wedding was April 11th. But we’ve decided to move it to coincide with our reception next year as we’ve already moved and rearranged three times and I just can’t any more! And like Wendy says, more time to lose weight and look my best!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren, that has got to be one of the most frustrating things!!! But yes, you will look amazeballs when it eventually happens xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.