Less to lose thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by nomoresugarhighs
    on

I’m on day five but I have only ten pounds to lose to be a the top of the ‘healthy’ weight range for my height. I’m pretty physically strong so I look quite trim (I’m a size 12) but I have a terrible addiction to carbs which I’m fighting. The only reason I’m NOT heavier is I lost loads of weight on Weightwatchers earlier in the year but it just taught me to eat appallingly.

Is there anyone else who have less to lose and would like to join me in supporting each other – those last few pounds seem fairly determined to stick around!

• posted by Thinlizzy
    on

Hi nomoresugarhighs. I’d love to join you in your attempt to lose those last few pounds. I have about 15lbs to lose. I’ve been losing and gaining them back for years, but I find it’s getting harder to lose. I think I’m just losing the resolve it takes to do it. I would really like to have some support and encouragement though.

• posted by Wenrob
    on

I would like to join you, I have 10lbs which go and then come back over the year. I’m just waiting for the book to arrive but generally this is my type of food. I usually use weight watchers on line but just can’t face all the faffing around and being tied to pointing.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ll join you too. I have just set myself a new target weight of 10 stone 8 pounds, and am 13 pounds away as at this morning’s weigh in for the 27th thread. I am currently having an indulgent Christmas compared to a lot of people, but am already feeling that I will be glad to get back to my routine and BSD on 3rd January. I will be cutting the carbs a little lower this time, to 35, but aiming for 1000 calories as the keto calculator warns me of dire consequences if I go back to the 800 at my current body fat level.

• posted by Wenrob
    on

Hi mixnmatch you sound like a great resource! I am waiting for the book to arrive but have been looking at the site. 800 calories seems pretty low, I tend to use 1200 to reduce weight, but I’ll give it a go. Do you keep a carb count as well as calories? I usually use weight watchers on line but looking now for healthy lifestyle as opposed to restrictive via numbers. It would be great for me if you would let me know what you are eating I suppose I’m asking for a food diary which is a big ask!!!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I tend to keep it fairly simple, low carb soup or salad for lunch, protein source (fish, meat, cheese, etc.) plus a variety of veg for tea, stir fries and stews are good, as are courgetti, and vegetable mashes. The only difference is when I am playing badminton, which is usually two nights a week, when the evening meal is replaced by a protein shake, drunk partly before and partly after the session, as solid food seems to cause me problems. When I do have breakfast it is usually Greek style yoghurt (full fat) and berries, or a small portion of porridge, although I probably can’t afford the carbs in the porridge if I am aiming for 35. Basically I never used any books, just adopted the main principles (no white stuff, white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sugar beyond that in fresh fruit (in moderation) and vegetables (below ground veg other than potatoes and pulses in moderation)). 800 calories is surprisingly easy to stick to, provided you get the carbs low enough, as your body seems to regulate what it requires from you better. I was rarely hungry on 800 calories after a week or so.

• posted by Thinlizzy
    on

Here’s where I could use some advice. What is your strategy for not blowing a day of great eating in the evening? I have now trouble following a plan all day, but when the kids go to bed, I lose all willpower, and I’m not even hungry.

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

I have the same problem. I usually skip breakfast and that gives me extra calories after dinner for something like yoghurt and berries, or any kind of low carb treat that fits into my calorie count. After that if I’m still not satisfied, it’s a stick of mint flavoured sugar free gum, or cleaning my teeth with nice minty toothpaste. It’s hard to get past that taste.

• posted by Lizsouthfwb
    on

Hi glad to find this thread. I usually lose 5-7kgs and then gradually put back on and have to start again. Usually I start at the beginning of the year as the festive season does me in. All the party food and too much wine 🙂 so I am starting Jan 1st again.
    A great snack or breakfast (I have brekky if I am playing tennis that day) is one fried egg with black pepper on original Ryvita with a smear of Vegemite . Very Aussie breakfast I know but very tasty and the protein keeps me going for 3-4 hours. I use large eggs so count is is 120 Cals total. Kind of a bargain really.

• posted by Thinlizzy
    on

Woohoo, down a pound. I expect this should become a little easier now that everyone in my house is back to work and school. Routine is very helpful for me. Yesterday I changed my furniture around for a distraction. I feel like I’ll be OK if I could just naked it through the weekend.

• posted by nomoresugarhighs
    on

Well I had an interesting christmas. Featuring illness, allergies etc. But back on track now thankfully. Glad to see the new faces. Am reading a book called Grain Brain which is definitely consolidating my feelings about carbs! Well worth a read if you haven’t heard of it. Have a good week everyone. x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Nomoresugarhighs — I am so glad to see you mention Grain Brain (Dr. Pearlmutter author) — I have mentioned it before and it seriously bears repeating — it is an excellent discussion of sugar/simple carbs damage to your brain and how it increases your risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s.
    Add those to the list of what the BSD can help with — and for me, these are the MOST important because although I am happy to not be fat anymore (6 months maintenance) my most important part of me is my brain and I want it to work flawlessly as long as possible!!
    I love the “Grainbrain Cookbook” too — perfect match with BSD principles. Highly recommend!!
    Thank you for mentioning!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’d be happy for my brain to work flawlessly now!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

First Fast day out of the way, and my weigh in this morning shows a drop of 3.4 pounds (obviously water). So now less than a stone to go to get to my target. Since I am not sticking to 800 calories, but going for an average of 1200 it could well take the whole 8 weeks or even longer to get there. I will do another Boditrax scan in mid March and see how that looks body fat wise, and decide then whether to continue trying if I haven’t got there at that point. I don’t want to start pushing my body fat super low and my last scan showed 22%

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Ha ha JulesMaigret — yeah, perhaps that was a bit overstated!!😜 Plenty of “brain-dead” moments in my life or as someone here posted, it must be “stupid o’clock” — so obviously it is REALLY IMPORTANT to eat right LOL. Thanks for reality check!!

• posted by Lizsouthfwb
    on

Hi Less to Lose folks, wondering if you do the carb count to keep it under 50g like so many on these forums do? I have no blood sugar issues and about 7kg to lose. I have never Bothered counting carbs and am now sticking to 800 Cala but love salads and carrots and they are a go to snack for me so although I haven’t been watching carbs,
    I bet I would be over 50g. Anyway just wondering if anyone has an opinion on whaler the carb counting has helped in their weight loss or just focus on keeping it healthy and the calorie count? Liz

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I do think the carb counting helped me. Although I lost weight on 5:2 it was nowhere near as fast as when I started really watching the carbs. Even though I am on more than 800 calories at the moment I am still trying to keep to around 50g.

Please log in or register to post a reply.