Leap of Faith!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LesleyB
    on

Hello all. So here I go…overturning a whole load of diet beliefs that feel ingrained! I was actually a so-called weight loss coach about 10 years ago and thought I knew about nutrition and weight management; obviously not well enough as I’ve put on 3.5 stone in the past few years! It seems that science and Mr Moseley have sneaked up and changed all the rules while I wasn’t looking!! Low carb – OK, High Protein, OK, dairy products, not on your life!
    Eat less than 1200 calories….never! Just do enough exercise to counter the calories over what your body needs (yeah right!) Fast!!! You have to be kidding…you metabolism will just shut down!!

As far as I’m aware my blood sugars are OK (nothing showed up in a barrage of test done 2 years ago to investigate my exhaustion; chronic fatigue syndrome was the ‘diagnosis of elimination’ which I think means “we can’t find anything wrong, you must just be lazy” and the startling news that I was in menopause… really??? You mean that’s what the past 10 years of hot flushes and crappy mood swings has been all about? I’d never have guessed! )

BUT I am currently 50lbs overweight, a lot of the blubber around my tummy, have so little energy that my only real activity is walking from the front door to my car, my car to the office and the weekly slog round ‘Stresco’s’…I reckon if I do 10,000 steps a week I’d be lucky, let alone a day! This is aggravated by having Plantar Fascitis (a foot problem that makes walking painful) and an inordinate ability to trip over fresh air (currently nursing a broken rib!)

But the time has come, the Walrus said, to think of better things, and in October I am off to Australia to visit my 26 year old daughter. Not only do I want to look better and feel comfortable in summer clothes, but I want to have the energy to have fun with her, join her Yoga classes, (she teaches) and be able to enjoy all the sight seeing stuff. The source of my foot problem is the miles we walked around the souks in Marrakech 3 years ago…you know you’ve walked and shopped a lot when you realise you know your way around the souks!! I want to be able to walk that much in Sydney and NSW!

So I make my commitment to you here now….I will put my faith in something entirely new, put aside my previous beliefs and stick with this for a full eight weeks starting on Monday 4th July (this weekend to plan and prepareIf) If I could lose 20lbs I’m that time (judging from other posts that’s doable) would be soooooo happy! After that, hopefully I can get control and keep on going down. I WILL need your support and encouragement and promise to provide the same.

Here’s to a healthier and happier life!

Namaste

LesleyB

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi leap of faith.
    I’m on day four week one, yes it is the total anti thesis of everything gone before isn’t it, but looking at the forum it works, I have similar symptoms to you, I have 99 lbs to shift, so in it for the long haul. I began to feel so much better within a few hours, more alert, abdo pain, from a fatty liver subsiding, sleeping well. One thing I will add although I planned well in advance for starting this I have slipped up twice counting the carbs, so have gone over two days, you have to count everything, I would never had imagined carrots would need to be a luxury, as they are high in carbs, so count recheck it then eat it, well it’s what I am doing anyway. Also I admit I did the dance when I realised a half tin of lentils was half the carbs I had thought they were. The fitness pal app is excellent for working all this out for you.
    I am a historic attendee of all things slimming clubs, blah blah, so I have to keep reminding myself that although something may be allowed its a small amount. But I can’t say I have been hungry, but I am so motivated I think that’s keeping me going.
    I haven’t weighed myself yet as I so badly want this to succeed I am scared I might not be loosing. So happy getting started day on Monday. Embrace it and love it.🤗🤗🤗

• posted by LesleyB
    on

Thanks for the words if encouragement greenjanet, and for the fitness pal app suggestion. I’m not sure I can cope with weighing measuring and worrying about more than just calories at the moment so I’m going to just try to stick to the daily menu plans, at least till I get into the swing.

So yesterday’s shopping trip to stock up was fine…got almost everything except flax seed so I substituted chia seeds which I had already for this morning’s green tea and blueberry shake.

I think for future weeks I might do some recipe shuffling; I seem to have a lot things where I will only use a little bit of and the rest will get thrown out…I seem to have 4 different cheeses in the smallest packs I could get, for example, and will use less than half of each if I follow the week one plan to the letter! I hate waste! I think the best way for me would just be to repeat a whole day where needed rather than substitute one meal and have to work out the protein, carbs etc for the whole day if I just change one meal.

So day 1, meal one, green tea and blueberry shake. Yum flavour wise but rather thin so not very satisfying. I think next time I would put the berries nuts and seeds in the yoghurt and eat with a spoon with the cup of green tea on the side. I’ve prepared the jewel stuffed peppers for lunch and they look really yummy….can’t wait till lunchtime to try them!

Oh…the weighing was a but worse than I thought, just over 14 stone, probably due to a bit of “not wasting” the various sweets and goodies lying around the house at the weekend. Probably not the best plan 🙂

Take care all. Xxx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi LesleyB
    It’s hard to put aside what you’ve always been taught but the evidence is now all over these forums that this diet works – in spades.
    My advice would be to cut out all of the simple carbs in week one and don’t worry about the calories until you get over any carb withdrawal symptoms you may experience.
    Best of luck !

Please log in or register to post a reply.