Kitty's 8 week diary: starting 17.8.2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kittysmummy
    on

Morning! I am starting today. I have tried (and failed) to lose weight over the last three years, having significantly lost before but binged it all back (thank you sugar addiction). I know that this will work, although I am worried about regaining and it triggering a binge reaction. I struggled with the 5:2 because the ‘normal’ days were just too unstructured for me. I’ve signed up for Slimming World but find the emphasis on ‘free’ carbohydrates and restriction on fats a bit bizarre – I will use up my membership but honestly, I just want a good kick up the weight loss after being stuck at 13-14 stone (a good 45-60lbs more than I need) for so long.
    I struggle to exercise because I am a full-time parent and my daughter is autistic. She is also overweight because her stomach never feels full and she has hypermobility, so gets tired very quickly. Her diet is all beige and we are working – and have been working for six years – on that… Anyway. I am determined to show her that transformation is possible. I have worked out my food for the first day using MFP and am delighted at how much I can eat for 850 calories – I’m aiming for 800-900 and no more than 100g carbs, as I know that I cannot cope with the brain fog while looking after my girl. I have got rid of all the trigger food in my house.
    Has anyone else found they cannot lose weight on a ‘traditional’ calorie counting diet? I have counted for over 400 days on MFP but as soon as I go over 1200 calories I stop losing. I was part of a facebook group and they just didn’t believe that I could not lose weight at that level and said I was responsible for it after years of yo-yo dieting and low muscle tone…
    Fingers crossed.
    Starting weight: 14 stone 1/2lb. (5ft7) chest – 38.5 inches; waist – 38.5 inches; hips – 47 inches; (horrified!!).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kittysmummy – welcome to the BSD way of eating. Hope your first day is going well and hasn’t been too much of a shock to the system. Many of us here have struggled to lose weight using the conventionally peddled high carb/low fat diets, hence the huge number of people giving this a try …. and seeing great results.

Your plan on cals and carbs sounds sensible. Once you are established, you might find you can drop back the carbs a little more without detriment to brain function. Make sure you use full fat versions of things and drink plenty. Make the most of the forum for info and support if/when things get rocky.

Good luck with it … you’ll soon be posting your great results for us all to read.

• posted by kyanservices
    on

Hi Kittysmummy , I just pre ordered the new BSD Recipe Book that is being released on the 15th of September from Amazon, this may help with further food ideas once you have completed your 1st 8 weeks on the diet?
    Best of luck with your journey ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by kittysmummy
    on

Thanks @sunnyb and @kyanservices. Day 1 was not bad. I ended up just over 900 calories but I had to edit it up on My Fitness Pal as you get an unhelpful warning if the total is under 1000 – has anyone found a way around that?

Day 1 – 958 cals, 66g carbs. I was amazed at how few cravings I had and how the hunger pangs went away. Had 2 oatcakes at 7, as I was not eating dinner until 9pm and I’d left it too long.

Day 2 – 989 cals, 54g carbs. A day out at the Edinburgh Festival and I had a soy cappucino as a treat but no cakes or junk. Didn’t eat my lunch til 5pm which was a mistake but I find that if I skip breakfast, I don’t need much more than 1 or 2 meals a day. My daughter gave me a crumb of her brownie and it almost made me sick, the sweetness was overwhelming. How bizarre! I’ve not added formal exercise yet but today got in 10,000 steps, walking around shows and taking dog out when we got home.

• posted by Frog
    on

MFP – if you don’t complete your day, no error messages warning
    Not entirely sure what completing your day is supposed to do – other than trigger warnings like that.

• posted by kittysmummy
    on

I am checking in after my first week. I have not been sticking strictly to 800 calories – once or twice I went over 1000 – and so I’m down to 13stone 10. It’s not been difficult but once or twice I have noticed myself reaching for a post-dinner biscuit or have added a bit of rice to my supper, so I am aware of where my weaknesses are at the moment. I am looking forward to my daughter going back to school tomorrow and will be able to ramp up the exercise a lot when I’m not looking after her so much. My weight has fluctuated a lot and I can see that an evening meal involving rice or carbs definitely bumps it up a pound or two. The best thing is that I am not craving chocolate – not in any form. I’m kind of aware of it but it’s not pushing any buttons ๐Ÿ™‚

my goal for the coming week is to do my physio exercises and walk more, while sticking more closely to 900 calories. Farewell mayonaise!

24.08.16 – 13 stone 10. (4lbs)

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Haha! KITTYSMUMMY! I love the fact that MFP gives you a warning!! I always look forward to pressing ‘complete day’ – maybe its just me!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You are doing amazingly well on your first week. I was like you in that I didn’t worry too much about the carbs but concentrated on the calories. As time goes on you become aware that high carbs equals higher cals so you try and lower them. Now I don’t go over 50g and rarely go over 40!! You’ll get there and probably won’t even notice it!!
    As for exercise, being a full-time mum must surely provide you with plenty of activity I would have thought! You are doing really well – keep going!!
    BEan xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.