Kickstart your day…Fasted Morning Cycle Rides

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just a small point on this. You are diabetic, are you able to test yourself fasting first thing in the morning. This diet should drop your BG fairly quickly and sometimes a bit too low so you have to be careful and keep a close eye on your numbers especially if you are going to do strenuous exercise.

• posted by 8WeeksAndCounting
    on

Hi Sunshine,

Yes, I understand, I was really posting this for more experienced cyclists….I should have made that clearer. I need to find out my numbers actually…I’m quite in the dark at the moment.

Red

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve just started jogging (not far or fast!) and decided it would be best to do it fairly early in the morning, before it gets hot. I don’t like to eat as soon as I get up, so doing it before breakfast seemed logical. I was surprised that it actually made me less hungry (maybe because I gulp down 3 glasses of water as soon as I get back) and leaves me feeling more energetic during the day.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Btw, I’m not diabetic. I agree with Sunshine girl that if you are, you need to be careful. Maybe ask your doctor about this? I think they’re generally keen for people to exercise, so should encourage you to find the best way.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

To save myself from having hypo’s I tend to exercise an hour after a meal. I know I left it late the other day, ate lunch at 12.30 and got in the pool at 5pm. When I got out my BG was 2.7 and I had to take emergency action and do something I rarely do on this diet and ate a couple of sugary sweets. If I go a little bit low and start to feel shaky or get blurred vision or tingling in the lips and hands I usually have some full fat yoghurt and a couple of prunes. Get to know your own body – but as a newly diagnosed diabetic it is hard to stop the signs. Have you heard of a book called Diabetes For Dummies – it is in the yellow cover of the dummies series and is super easy to understand and explains everything in simple language. Just a thought as I havent mentioned that book for a long time.

on

Hi Sunshine and Squidge,

All sage advice and I’ll take it, and endeavour to go steady…something I’m doing, I’m aiming to get my diet right to start with alongside general exercise, I’ll see how I feel as I go on…I’ll harness my dreams of exercising like I was 20 years younger for the time being…but you never know!

Red

• posted by Squidge
    on

How are you getting on, 8weeks? I went for a jog before breakfast this morning and thought of you.

on

Hi Squidge,

Thanks for asking, I started a week last Friday and was going to wait a week to see make sure it wasn’t just a blip, I’ll chart it all more once I have more results…but…

22/06 – Starting Weight : 90kg

29/06 – Week 1 Weigh-In : 87.1kg Loss -2.9kg

06/07 – Week 2 Weigh-In: ?

Finding the diet great, not hard to adapt, though I miss my muesli at times, slowly increasing the exercise, but wanted to concentrate on my nutrition first!

Cheers,

Red

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done!

Now I’m in maintenance, I make my own muesli. It’s not difficult – just buy bags of the ingredients and stir together. Does make a big batch though! I put the recipe somewhere – will try to find it. I’d wait until you’ve reached your target though, ss it’s probably too high carb for the actual dieting part.

on

Hi Squidge,

Thanks, and if you do find the muesli recipe, that’d be great…though the more I’m doing the BSD I’m not missing it, it might be nice for my maintenance phase though…a treat!

Red

• posted by Squidge
    on

Found it … rolled whole grains (I use oats, barley and either buckwheat or rye), lots of seeds – chia, flax, pumpkin, sunflower, lots of nuts (I vary it each batch, at the moment it’s coconut strips and whole almonds, previously I’ve used almonds, brazils and cashews) and a small amount of dried fruit, chopped quite small (prunes this batch, I’ve used raisins and apricots previously) seved with ff milk

No dried fruit might be better in BSD terms, but the one time I tried it, I didn’t like it and bought some raisins to add to the rest of the batch. I want to be healthy, but I also want food I enjoy!

I wanted to up my Omega three and fibre intake so was adding the chia and flax seeds to bought muesli – but most of those have sugar added to the fruit and have processed cereals as well as whole rolled ones, so I decided to make my own. It keeps fine in a big tuppwerware type container.

I use a whole pack of each, as that makes it easier to do and to work out the calories/carbs, and avoids waste. Obviously you’d vary it to suit your tastes. I made one batch with raw cacao nibs – which I’d forgotten about until now. They’d be good with the coconut (quite bitter though, so try them before tipping them in with everything else). I have a ‘special’ muesli bowl which is the right size (small!) so I don’t have to bother weighing each portion.

on

Hi Squidge,

Thanks for that, it all sounds good to me…I get your thoughts on the fruit, and will see how it goes. I must say though that I’ve seemingly lost my desire for muesli and milk right now, it must be the spirit of Dr Mosley taking over…eggs are my go to choice right now!

I’ll certainly be making a batch up when I return from my holibobs though…my top tip for this diet is to have the things in the house/fridge that you can actually eat…for myself it makes the whole process much easier, less likely to falter!

Cheers,

Red

• posted by Squidge
    on

I quite agree with having good stuff in the house. We’ve always got nuts, cheese, radishes and other things we can nibble without wrecking the diet. I’m just about to make some hummus and a plate of raw veggie strips to snack on while we watch the footie.

• posted by enigma
    on

I have been doing fasted cycle rides every morning for about two years my journey takes about half an hour for 6.5 miles…. Don’t know if I can be of any help to you, I have not yet started the bsd… and am pre diabetic. I’m intending to start on Monday.
    I can’t honestly say I’ve noticed any benefit from the fasted rides although I hope this may change from Monday. I haven’t noticed any boost to my metabolism or any weight loss I was also combining it with drinking a glass of lemon water before I set off as this is supposed to get your metabolism going too, I was also drinking it throughout the day thinking that it wasn’t doing me any harm but in the end it cost me a trip to the dentist and a filling because it had eroded the enamel on one of my teeth!

I’d be really interested to hear if you have a success story from fasted riding and if I notice anything I will let you know too

Please log in or register to post a reply.