Ketosis question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KG08
    on

So I started the fast 800 2 weeks ago Starting weight was 11.stone 7 lbs want to drop down to 10 .5 stone .I lost 6 pounds in the first week and only 1 pound in the second.I tested myself with a ketosis stick and was showing a not in ketosis despite not going over the 800 calorie per day also I am doing 16/8 which I find quite easy.I am 47 year old male and 5ft 6 inch bmi is ok I believe,Is there a way to kickstart ketosis to drop down to what I want.I think I would struggle dropping calories,and I get regular exercise?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi KG08,
    When I first started BSD I bought some keto sticks but I personally didn’t find them helpful and stopped using them so can’t really help you there.
    What I wonder is how low your daily carb intake is – calculating how many carbs you’re averaging and then dropping them slightly might help. Also, making sure you’re drinking enough fluid (something I’m particularly bad at) might also help – I found if I drank enough water my weight loss was more regular.
    Lastly, I’m afraid these things do just happen. I did brilliantly wks 1 and 2 then stopped losing for 2 weeks despite being strictly 800 cals and low carb – but it will eventually start dropping again.
    Congratulations though – 7lbs in 2 weeks is a great start – keep going and it will happen. Best wishes.

Jennie
    Let me know how you go with the keto sticks – I might try them again, if the ones I have left are not out of date!

• posted by KG08
    on

Hi Jennie,

Yes maybe your right I think I probably reduce my carbs and up my water intake a bit more ,I do take a few de caf black coffee s per day.I think i shall fill a large bottle of water and make sure it’s drunk each day to see if it has any effect.
    Will keep going am not one to give up until I reach my target.

Thanks for the reply.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’d say definitely take a look at your daily carb intake. Those pesky carbs hide in all kinds of places and you’ll probably be surprised how many grams of carbs you are having, even at 800 calories or less – proof that not all calories are equal. Most people find they can lose steadily at a carb intake of around 50g, but some will find they need to push lower to get good results.

I use ketosticks all the time, but the result can be affected according to when you test and how diluted the urine is – so if you test after a period of very high hydration, then the ketone levels in the urine might not be high enough to show evidence of ketosis. Personally find them useful indicators, but others might find them a hindrance, as the results can be swayed by hydration as described, as well as carb intake.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

SunnyB – That’s useful info – yes I read the other day how you find them helpful which is why I’ve been having a rethink. Mine are at home and I’m away right now but I think I will l try them again, using the info you’ve just given.

KG08 – you’re welcome – sounds like it won’t be long before you get there! Let us know how you get on.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I find the ketosticks particularly useful when I’m away and can’t weigh myself. It helps me to stay on track, as it gives me an idea of where I am and how things are going. Ketosticks and a ‘control’ garment – e.g. a garment that fits, so that if it starts to get snug, I know I need to make some adjustments to avoid gaining lots of unwanted pounds.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I agree with the advice of others to check on carb intake, some people need to go as low as 20g a day to get into ketosis, others manage it at 50grams.
    The ketones in your urine are as a result of your body over producing ketones, so in time the body becomes used to being in ketosis and doesn’t overproduce to the same level. So in time your pee sticks will not show a result.
    I bought one of the cheap breathalysers (under £10) from Amazon. There is a knack to testing ketones in the breath, you need to hold your breath for a little while and then breath out so that the breath going into the tester is the last air in your lungs. but once you have learnt the knack its a very useful way to monitor the impact different foods and activities have on your ketone levels. –
    It can take upto a couple of days to get back into ketosis if you eat carbs, but exercise speeds the process up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.