Ketosis

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey all, please does anyone have any tips about getting into ketosis? I am 6 days in and today is my 7th but I don’t think I’m in ketosis yet, still feeling a bit hungry. I am keeping my carbs pretty low, average of 30. I did a 16:8 day yesterday and did a fasted run this morning trying to use up excess glycogen. Please advise if there is anything else I can do or any tips you have to help me to push over into ketosis and how long it takes. Thanks so much! Have a great Sunday all 💚

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Greengal, our gut bacteria change in response to our diet. If we have been eating a high carb diet then we will have more of the gut bacteria to digest carbs. – These bacteria need people to eat carbs for them to survive and multiply. The bacteria do have the ability to send messages to our brain to try to prompt us to eat what they want. – That may be where your hunger is coming from. Give it time, and your gut bacteria will change to reflect your new WoE and you will silence your carb monster.

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Hi Greengal, I too struggled getting into ketosis, which was very frustrating when my OH was eating the same as me and was “sailing away”! I did some research and discovered that coconut oil is very good for kicking you into ketosis, it contains medium chain triglycerides which are very quickly absorbed into the liver and convert into energy or ketones. I started cooking my first meal of the day in coconut oil…. and that afternoon I was in ketosis!
    Like you I’m doing 16-8 and exercising during my fasting time so fingers crossed it works for you too.
    I’ve attached the link to the article I found, coconut oil is number 2 on the list. It’s interesting that coconut oil is also given to epileptic children to bring on ketosis as it helps control their epilepsy.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-tips-to-get-into-ketosis#section2

Owl

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Hi Greengal, I started on Fast 800 on the 19th March and like you struggled to get into ketosis. This was really frustrating when my OH was eating exactly the same as me and was “sailing away”! I did some research and discovered that coconut oil is really good for helping get into ketosis. It contains medium chain triglycerides which are absorbed quickly and go straight into your liver to be used for energy or converted into ketones. I started cooking my first meal of the day in coconut oil and by that afternoon I was in ketosis! It does taste a little but the smell is stronger than the taste, it’s not unpleasant though.I began with a teaspoon and now I have a tablespoonful every day. I put a bit of pepper onto my food to counteract the flavour. Fingers crossed it works for you too!
    I can’t attach the link but it’s on healthline….. if you search I’m sure you’ll find it. Interestingly it’s been used to induce ketosis in epileptic children to help with their epilepsy.
    Good luck, I’ve shed 11lb in just under 3 weeks and can now get my old skinnier jeans back on!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Thank you Artful Owl and JGwen for you helpful responses. I will try and be patient JGwen, hopefully next week will be better and my gut monsters 👾👾👾 will be quiet!
    Artful Owl thank you for that excellent tip I had a tsp of coconut oil straight away so hopefully that will help me. I can think of a couple of mistakes this week which may have also kept me out of ketosis but still learning and will see what the scales say tomorrow which is one week weigh in. Ultimately though, I am also looking at the long game as I really want to kick this yo-yo diet train I’ve been on for so long.
    Well done for the 11lbs in 3 weeks that’s great, you must feel so different already which is a real motivation.. hopefully that will e me in another couple of weeks. Nice one! 💚

Please log in or register to post a reply.