Keeping hormones under control

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SmithyJ
    on

Hi,
    I’ve never posted on here before so hello everyone. Just a quick question which I supposed is aimed more at the ladies really. Are there any supplements people take to keep hormones under control around TOTM? I am on week 5 of the BSD now and I found it incredibly difficult to stick with around this time. Tiredness and fatigue mostly. But this made me irritable which turned me into a bit of a horrible witch to be around. Especially with me abstaining from alcohol at the weekends. I’ve been really vile but I’m absolutely fine now. However I know the same will occur in another few weeks so am looking to find something that may help control these symptoms to some extent. Otherwise my family may leave me before the 12 weeks is over lol.
    Many thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

SmithyJ I dont think there is any diet that can improve your TOTM as there is no such thing as a superfood according to the course I have just finished. If it is your mood then maybe you have it when you are not on a diet but feeling a bit deprived makes it feel worse. You might look up mood enhancing foods or I have heard that evening primrose can make you feel better. Be careful before taking any drugs even if they are natural and especially if you are on any other medications. You might just have to put up with it for a few days and tell the family to keep out of your way. 🙂

• posted by M2019
    on

Hello Smithy,

I too convert to my dark alter ego at my TOM – I was on the pill when I was younger but stopped taking it a long time ago as I couldnt find one that quite worked.

Through a lot of trial and error, I have found the following helps around ‘that time’:

1. Agnus Castus supplement – whole cycle. Takes about 2 cycles to really kick in although I could feel some difference after one.
    2. No booze – last two weeks of cycle
    3. Less sugar – whole cycle
    4. Milk thistle – a sparkly clean liver helps it process hormones – liquid is better than tablets
    5. Exercise if you can be arsed 🙂 – last two weeks in particular.

I went from being full on la-la to being a touch tetchy. Good luck !

• posted by SmithyJ
    on

Thank you for your advice. I’ll give it a try. I have got a 10 month old so maybe my hormones are still a bit mental 😂

• posted by M2019
    on

Probs ! Also, if you arent getting a decent amount of unbroken sleep, that will also up the mental rating.
    Please be kind to yourself 🙂

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi all and welcome to you SmithyJ,
    On a slightly different but similar theme, I suffer from horrible menopause symptoms from time to time, the worst being night sweats which can keep me awake most of the night and make me miserable to be around the next day – I have found that my sugar/ carb intake massively affects this – when I am completely off the sugar and starchy carbs, the hot flashes (almost) disappear but when I return to my sugar addiction, they’re back with a vengeance. So what I’m saying is that I think sugar has a huge impact on our hormones – read Gary Taubes, Jason Fung on this – so in time, your TOTM should start to feel better. Keep going and good luck with it – it’s horrible the way we ladies have to go through these things isn’t it.
    SSB

Please log in or register to post a reply.