“KEEPING CARBS AT BAY OVER VALENTINE'S DAY” 4wk challenge ends 20th Feb

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Izzy feeling cold sounds lovely to me right now! Australian summer + perimenopause mean I’m hot and sweaty most of the time. You can remind yourself with every shiver that you are cold because you’ve shed a coat of fat. And shivering burns even more calories!

Well done everyone who has lost his week. I lost only 0.1 kg, and that has already found me again after having cake to celebrate my daughter’s birthday yesterday. All celebrations are over and both my children are finally back at school so I have a clear run until Valentines Day now.

At the movies yesterday a couple of larger women were sitting next to me, each with a large movie popcorn and an enormous cup of soft drink (fizzy/soda/what do you call it where you live?). How big are those cups! Do they take a whole bottle to fill? My diet is very far from perfect (see cake above), but I shudder at how much sugar must be in those bath-tub size cups.

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi Everyone! I just want to wish everyone well for this challenge. I also want to thank everyone so much for all of your good wishes. I’m sending big hugs to Busybee. I haven’t read a single post here yet but I can see you’ve been busy. I’m only back to the world today after a week of post surgery dramas. Still very much battered, bruised and dependent… anyway now I’m up to catching up with you all over the next few days. An extra big hug to Allie as I missed getting back to you before I came in and I have read your lovely message. You are so warm and wonderful with words, though not alone in that here. X Adding to the struggle I have to be transported by stretcher in an ambulance between hospitals to dialysis every couple of days.
    I’m still waiting on the weight of my evil twin. My Dr said that’ll come with the biopsy results. So still waiting on them. Meanwhile my Physio weighed me lightly dressed ( sounds like a salad) in a weighing chair as I can’t stand yet. You won’t believe I’ve forgotten the number but 103. Something. Of course I’m expecting it will drop as I lose fluid/ swelling from the one s! So not too bad given that I sort of lost the plot the week before surgery. I’ve met with the dietician here 2 x already and she’s been great re meals snacks etc last night I had grilled salmon with dill and lemon and side salad. 1st real meal in a week. This morning I had a big breakfast w scrambled eggs parsley and bacon, grilled tomato and mushroom. Delicious! I won’t promise to be the best this month as I lay around and get looked after but I can say, in this hospital people are doing their utmost to support my diet. So it’s down to me now.
    So as days are already getting away I’ll take the average of 103.5 as my starting weight and hope there’s some loss. My biggest challenge now that the kidney is gone I am on 1 litre fluid restriction so fluid levels should drop a bit soon. Can’t wait to read what you’ve all been up to and how you’re going. Good luck everyonexx

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi Milalin, I’m so pleased to read you are safely on the road to recovery and that you are being fed sone decent nourishing food. Take care, best wishes, Flick

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks so much Flick ! so much is the issue now haha. I just did my food order for tomorrow and it’s poached salmon with salads and steamed veges and fresh fruit salad. At snack time they have an order for a ‘matchbox’ sized cheese which I enjoy with slices of fresh pear . Got to say good ol salt Katz are a bit of a temptation ! No excuses though I’m being given the best of everything. Finally able to lift my head and enjoy a meal last night . Hoping I’ve really turned a corner. Won’t go on how I’m burning on all sides with pain. To be expected, hopefully will ease and be able to walk soon xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Milalin so happy to hear that you’ve come through your surgery and are on the road to recovery 🙂
    Your meals sound lovely. I’ve been in hospital quite a few times in the last 4 years and I must admit I was quite happy with the meals I was served. I’ve had relatives complain about hospital food but I enjoyed it.
    It’s great that you have a dietician supporting you too.
    Hope you are out of pain and up and about soon x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Milalin great to hear you are through your surgery and doing ok, and getting some decent food too. I hope your recovery is swift.

• posted by Milalin
    on

SueBlue Thankyou I’m sorry you are very experienced if the hospital system too. I think I’m hoping rehab looks after me this well. Good luck with the challenge x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Thanks Natalie, yes I hope I’ve turned a corner now and each step ahead towards my transplant. Best wishes for success this challenge xx

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hi everyone
    PS the Physio came again and remembered my weight was 103.1! Haha already lost…
    So my starting weight I’ll take as that 103.1kg! Good luck every one of you!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Welcome back Milalin, so glad the surgery went well and that you are being looked after well in hospital. Thinking of you on your recovery x

today -0.7lb. Back down to my lowest which means, once again, pushing past the psychological barriers that brings and not self sabotage.

Great NSV yesterday, I remembered that I have a bag of clothes in the attic that haven’t fitted me in a very long time but which I liked too much to send to the charity shop in the great clear out of 2015. Hubby got them down and most of them now fit, especially a gorgeous skirt I bought in 2001 but only wore for about 6 months before putting on weight. Just need to get them through the wash as they are a bit musty.

x

• posted by Milalin
    on

Morning Mokovex, and Thankyou! I had a little laugh at myself thinking it’s not morning… may be the endone of course you are elsewhere. It’s evening in my hospital bubble away from reality. Great news with your loss and trying on the clothes to fit finally so much fun! Especially when it’s something you’ve coveted and you love.
    Diet made easy as tonight ‘the computer overwrote’ my dinner order! Too complicated for their computer 😂😂. So I managed to salvage some broccoli soup, 1/2 a small side salad and fruit salad. My daughter did as promised and loaded my fridge with a half doz punnets of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries which I poured a 170g valia passion fruit yoghurt over ! Delicious and I’m enjoying now about to watch trash tv home n away then MKR. Bit doped up so typing is hard.
    The mealS YES MEALS that came grilled steak with baked veges, including mainly potato( banned to me) steak might’ve been ok but covered In the saltiest mushroom sauce – pure poison! And soft drink, bread roll and extra meal of vege lasagne which I attempted to extract the vege and got half a saucer. After that effort it put me off and I gave up. Called my nurse to remove the tray and smell.
    Berries it is perfect go to and fits my diet.
    Not even tempted by any of that stoggy, salty, carby crap . ENJOY!
    I hope you are all enjoying beautiful foods that are great for your bodies whether it’s breakfast or dinner , back to my berries for now xx

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

Hello, I’m late joining this challenge, but I’ve been skulking for a while, following the general BSD but not measuring anything. I now need to get a grip and do 800 cals properly and aim for 20 carbs. I’m mainly vegetarian and using Rose Elliott’s Low Carb Diet:. she measures carbs but not calories. Michael Mosley calorie counts but doesn’t measure carbs. I’m attempting to use FatSecret but it takes me AGES. Anyway, enough whingeing! I’m in the UK, generally fit and healthy, 5’2″, and I have about 14 lbs to lose in order to fit in my clothes comfortably. When you are short, 14 lbs makes a lot of difference! Well done everyone else who is well into this challenge.

• posted by JulesP
    on

Delighted to hear you’re on the road to recovery Milalin. And how great the hospital is trying to give you healthy food, in spite of the computer getting confused, berries to the rescue, thank goodness you have a fridge. You did make me laugh about your “lightly dressed salad” weigh in and congrats on the flash 0.4kg loss lol. xxx

• posted by Milalin
    on

Hey JulesP Thankyou and yes the fridge is a winner. Yoghurt salads berries fresh fruit salad no excuses. Eggs for brekky at 6 am . Ambo transport to dialysis at 6.30. Let’s hope it’s all as streamlined as planned . Back for grilled salmon w capers and Lemon w salad . Yes please for dinner. N you know it, more berries. Finally feeling like food and really ready to prepare for the next step. This WOE I know works for me!
    Hi Crazyquilter!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m not participating in the challenge because I’ve been in
    maintenance for the last 9 months, but I do want to welcome
    newcomers to the forums. Sincere best wishes that it changes
    your life, as it has for so many of us 🙂
    Milalin, it sounds like you are making remarkable progress, only
    6 days post-op. I strongly suspect that that is in no small part due
    to the positive spirit that you bring to your life and your posts,
    however! Do you feel that your post-op pain is being adequately
    managed? And what a superb thought, to have refrigerators in
    the rooms! Hospital food both tastes and smells wretched when
    one doesn’t feel well. Do have any idea when you will be recovered
    enough to be discharged? I can’t imagine how relieved you must
    be to have this surgical procedure behind you. Please keep us
    up to date on your progress when you feel well enough to do so….
    I’ll be checking in on you, You’re one extraordinary lady 🙂 🙂 🙂

xx
    Allie

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi, Milalin, adding my thought to everyone else’s. Admiring the way you are in charge of things whilst in less than ideal circumstances. Good wishes for your continued recovery, developing your strength for what comes next. Keep in touch.😊

Come on in, Crazyquilter, the more the merrier. Good wishes for your journey.

Mokovex, we’ve got your back. So many of us, myself included, need to break through that self-sabotage barrier. Some have, must have, and I salute them and use them for inspiration.

Natalie, .1, you’ll soon reverse that again in no time at all, or at least that’s what I’ve been told more than once😕 And I do so know what you mean about the mind-boggling sizes of drinks and snacks. The other day OH and I saw The Post (wonderful movie) and a M&F couple in front of us were literally overflowing their seats, one accidentally jogged the other’s arm and the large container of popcorn was upended over lap and seats and floor. Much todo, and he was instructed by her to go now and buy another! (In not so polite terms.😬 Luckily this happened before the actual movie started.)

Nightynight everybody, off to bed now, 10.30pm, starting to think about food.
    MOODAAT.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi everyone – hope you’re all well.

Milalin – sounds like you’ve been through the ringer. I don’t know your story but it’s good to hear you’re full of life and getting over your surgery.

Last night I was preparing my meals for today and found myself stressing over a few blueberries. Once I had weighed out my portions there were a few left – I almost threw them away and then couldn’t decide whether to eat them or not. So I weighed them and added them to MFP and ate them – they were delicious and felt like such a treat. The extra 2g of carbs were worth it 🙂 I really shouldn’t be stressing over a few blueberries… This is taking over my life…

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning/Evening all 😀

Today + 0.6lb. Sigh!

This is becoming such a predictable pattern, new low followed by a smidge of self-sabotage. Last night it was kebab, chips and beer.

There was an amazing NSV though which felt astonishing. About halfway through my portion of food I felt suddenly and very decidedly full and sick. Could not eat any more. It felt unbelievable! All my life I have never known what satiety feels like. I was one of those really skinny kids who could eat and eat (and I did) all sorts of rubbish without any seeming affect. I always felt empty though. When I met my husband (a big rugby player) he was gobsmacked at how much I could put away and only stop when I felt I ‘should’ not from any signals from my body. I couldn’t understand other people talking about feeling full or stuffed. Metabolically, broken right?

I have said before that I was a classic ‘tofi’, and this was borne out when I went to a gym, quite some years ago, and had a full health assessment. They got the callipers out and measured my body fat in addition to my weight. His conclusion was underweight but overfat. My BMI was about 17 but body fat at 32%!!! Did my bones weigh anything at all???

Anyway, at some point the weight thing caught up with me a bit and the body fat rocketed. Did WW etc which helped the weight but BF still relatively high and always felt hollow. When I started the BSD I was totally bemused that sometimes I had to push my plate away with food still on it, feeling full is such a new sensation that I always jump to the conclusion that I am becoming ill, ‘what is this tight feeling in my tummy?’ Last night it felt like my body was fighting back, STOP! it said, I tried to fight passed it but it wouldn’t let me, I felt so full that I thought I would explode, on half a portion!!! Can you tell that I am processing this on here? I wasn’t diabetic before I started the BSD but I suspected I might have been insulin resistant. It is quite a revelation to experience ‘healthy’ hormonal signals around food.

Crazyquilter – Welcome, glad you have come out of the skulking shadows and decided to post. It will be great to hear how you are doing, highs and lows.

Gattina – I totally imagined you there, deliberating over your blueberries.

Milalin – Hoping today brings you closer to recovery.

x

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi everyone
    Mokovex – that’s a great NSV – I long for the day when I will be able to turn food away 🙂

Has anyone else noticed their senses are heightened – I’m so much more aware of things around me, I can taste my food more and in particular my sense of smell is stronger – which I have to admit isn’t great on the tube in the mornings when I’m crushed against someone who ate loads of garlic the night before…

But I’ve also started feeling very sleepy – I do an evening class on Wednesday evenings and I yawned through the whole class. I do hope the lecturer doesn’t take it personally.

Keep on keeping on all – look forward to your updates

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

Thank you Marie and Mokovex for your welcome. Yesterday ( day one of counting) was ok, but I was hungry and sneaked in more peanut butter than I should have. Today I am battling with a raging headache and tiredness. I have discovered I don’t need breakfast, just good coffee and cream, then an early lunch. I am playing with tofu – thinly sliced and fried til crisp and dipped in mayonnaise was good; cubed and stir fried with vegetables was just ok and I need to work on it. Any advice from other veggies? I will be eating out tomorrow and there’s always a risk that I will eat high carb a) because veggie things are often bean based or b) I get tempted by fish and chips! Did anyone in the UK see MM last night on TV? Three ten minute fast walks is as good as 10,000 steps. It’s worth looking for on IPlayer.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Totally struggling to keep up with the posts, but I had a few minutes and went back and caught up with the recent posts from the last few days. However, if I’ve missed you below, please don’t take it personally! As a general note to all – well done to those got nearer their goals or celebrated NSVs, commiserations for those who stayed the same or gained slightly, KOKO 🙂

Crazyquilter – Welcome! With regards the headache I’d recommend drinking lots and lots of water because you’re getting less of it from your food and it may be a dehydration headache. Good luck!

Gattina – I find I’m more awake because carbs make me ill and more prone to napping. Going back to an age old post, I had just dipped below 40 BMI which changed my rating. The BMI chart I saw went as follows:
    <19 Underweight
    19-25 Ideal BMI
    25-30 Overweight
    >30 Obese
    >35 Severely Obese
    >40 Morbidly Obese
    >50 Super Obese

Mokovex – I’m worried that I have a similar trend of victory followed by reward (or as it’s otherwise known as self-sabotage). I think recognising it has got to be the first step of controlling it. I hope so for my sake! Also I am in the middle of sorting out all my clothes as need to dumb about 3/4 because of room issues. I’m hoping to find old favourites that I can now wear as I sort through them all.

Marsie – Glad that whilst the graph had some ups and downs, the downs won out over the week 🙂

Milalin – Glad to hear you are recovering and that the hospital is working with you diet-wise. My OH was in hospital before Xmas and everything he was offered on his meal plan was a known trigger for worsening the condition that he had been admitted with. Pleased to hear that you are getting better treatment.

JulesP – Well done on the loss. I also have days of not moving and then large jumps. It’s so weird but at least I expect it now.

Flick – I’m impressed by the stories of fasting from you and others. I haven’t done any long ones – just 16-18 hours overnight but I’m really considering it based on the posts I read here.

Natalie – good luck on your run through to Valentine’s Day. I seem to have so many events lined up that its going to be really difficult – bar Valentine’s Day ironically as my OH has to work late.

Izzy – Totally understand the cold thing. I’ve been like it for days now. Especially in the morning if I fast until midday. Once I come out of fasting I have either a chicken consomme or a miso soup to warm me up (as I don’t drink tea or coffee). Really helps I think.

Arcticfox – I definitely think tastes change. I can’t stand anything in with chemicals now – especially when it has sweeteners. I’m not enjoying my Red Bull anymore which I only drink for caffeine as no other source. Hoping energy levels will rise further and I can dump them too.

Marie123 – Your posts (and those of others close to their goal) are so inspirational. I really hope that I’ll be posting similar within a year.

ClarinetCathy – Well done on both the fast and the loss.

Busybee – I hope you have a good trip. I have family in Shropshire and love it there.

MixnMatch – Great loss!! Hope you hit your mini goals this week.

Mariet – I think being accountable is really useful. It helps me to find my way back more easily when I go awry and I can’t hide in denial. Well done for posting anyway. Also Australia Day sounds wonderful!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

As for me…

So I’ve now lost the 1.4lb I put on Tuesday morning from the kebab and am back to Monday’s low (not an all time low – just a ‘this year’ low). Somehow I seem to not have scuppered it by going over calories yesterday with a glass of bubbly. I had reason to celebrate and the celebration was expected (although I didn’t know what day it was coming) but also the reason I was celebrating is basically going to turn my entire life upside down! Although I’ve known that this would be the case for awhile and it’s a positive thing but the reality has sunk in now! Sorry for the weird ‘crypticness’ of that – but I have people in RL I have to tell before I can share online (just in case) – stupid I know.

Today I know I will go above calories too. I’ve eaten less than 300 so far but I’m going to an All-You-Can-Eat buffet tonight and I expect it to be a calorie-fest. On the positive side though I fully expect to remain BSD compliant as it is an Argentinian grill which means meat, meat and more meat.

However, I don’t suppose I’ll be celebrating a loss on Tuesday. However, if I manage to maintain I will be more than happy. Then the plan will be to lose 3.5lbs next week and the same the following week to meet my target. Not sure how doable that is but I live in hope.

I’m off now to get all dressed up for dinner – nice to think I’ll be able to wear something a little more flattering than two weeks ago.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Milalin, so glad your recovery is getting there and wow, those are some impressive hospital meals. Where I work there is no way we offer griiled salmon!

My upward hike after last weekend has disappeared which I’m happy about. Just in time for this weekend 🙂 Luckily I am driving up the coast 5 hours for my brother in law’s 60th birthday party which will both keep me from nibbling (my bad Saturday habit) and give me an unimpeachable reason for not indulging at the party. If I can keep my eye on the prize I may finally report a loss on Tuesday!

Congratulations to all those who’ve had good news and commiserations to the others. And welcome to the new challengers, this thread is so busy I cna’t mention everyone 🙂

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning/evening all,

Today -0.7lb a new low by 0.1lb😀 (taking whatever I can get)

Crazyquilter – sorry to hear about the headache. I think it is quite a common symptom of the ‘low carb flu’, i.e. feeling vile whilst your body adjusts and learns to switch from burning sugar to burning fat. I had headaches too. Not nice 😒 I am halfway through the MM programme, some really interesting stuff on there. I think his influence is really fascinating, making mainstream and acceptable some quite radical ideas and research.

Shanshu – well done on your ‘this year low’, a good place to build from. Hoping your clothes clear out is a great motivation to KOKO

Mariet – Have a gorgeous weekend and eyes on the prize 👀,

x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Good luck Mariet and well done Mokovex – I also take whatever I can get some days!

So last night I went out to dinner. I ate BSD food but I ate a lot of it. And there was a lot of white wine. Unsurprisingly I’m back to the post kebab weight that I’d lost since Tuesday!. Oh well – there is no reason for me not to be good for the next four days and get it back to what it was and hopefully lower. I’m not going to beat myself up about it because I had an amazing time – I’m just going to accept that it’s something that can’t be repeated too regularly! Not if I want to get more weight off which I do.

Hope everyone else doing well and looking forward to the weekend.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi everyone – happy Friday
    Thank god it’s Friday – this has felt like a very long week for me.
    Well done on the new low Mokovex. Shanshu – I’m glad you had an amazing time – the extra lb will soon drop off.
    Welcome crazyquitter – I’m sorry you’re not feeling so great, I hope the headaches pass soon. Keep drinking water – it does help.
    The tofu sounds amazing – I’m vegetarian and eat loads of tofu. Soy is my main source of protein as well as eggs, halloumi, nuts, yogurt. I used to eat a lot of beans and lentils but I’ve cut that right back since being on this diet as they have a lot of carbs and I’m trying to stick to 30g. When I do make them I have much smaller portions.

I had a sneaky look on the scales this morning and I’m 3lbs down from Monday – really pleased. But anything could happen over the weekend.

Good luck everyone

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Gattina – that’s great. It feels amazing when you see your hard work paying off doesn’t it? I got dressed up and put make up on yesterday for the first time in ages because the 1 stone that I lost since I started 2.5 weeks ago gave me a little bit of confidence to do so.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I’m not shifting any weight again at the moment, and the scales are saying that I’ve gained a bit back again. I have been extremely hungry over the past 3 days and craving carbs. I tried valiantly for 2 days to eat BSD friendly foods but eat more calories and to just ignore the cravings, but I have sucumbed today and consumed some white starchy carbs. Interestingly I didn’t feel a sugar rush at all like I normally would, so I wonder if my body was trying to tell me something. Even though the scales aren’t shifting, I have been feeling really quite slim this week, and my clothes seem to be even looser than last week. I was wearing the slimmest jeans in currently in my lineup today and they were quite loose through the waist and hips and by the end of the day they were stretched out enough that they were starting to slide down. Time to use a belt with them! I am also going to have to rescue some smaller sizes out of the pile that has been sitting waiting for me to have time to make a run to the charity shop to see if they might be close to fitting. Anyway, I’m going to be glad of the NSV and not beat myself up for the transgression. I’ll get back on plan tomorrow and see where things go from there.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Great NSV arcticfox – also whilst you may have ‘given in’, it does sound like you didn’t go overboard so maybe it was more like a few maintenance days thrown in.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today – 0.6lb 😀

Second new low in a row. Back in 2011, when we first bought our scales, I hit a low of 125.4lb but only for a couple of days. Today I am 126.3 so I am only 0.9lb away from that lowest recorded reading and just around 6lb away from my final goal. It all feels like it might be possible! I have lost nearly 2.5 stone on the BSD but the last 5 pounds have taken months as I have been locked into the losing-gaining-losing the same few pounds.

Have booked my ultrasound body composition scan for 19th March so will see how close I am to my body fat goal then and crucially how my visceral organs look.

Articfox – well done on NSV, hoping you manage to find a way to get back on track with the eating. I have experienced crazy hunger over the past month which then fuelled some bad food choices which then fuelled hunger. This may not be you but skipping breakfast and going down the 18:6 route seems to have helped.

Shanshu- that’s an amazing loss in such a short period of time. Don’t rest on your laurels though. keep going 👏

Gattina – also a great loss this week, hope you can be in the right headspace to make good choices this weekend.

x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Mokovex – well done on the loss. I dream of numbers like that. Gonna keep going until I get there – slowly but surely.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Mokovex: congratulations on getting within a hair of your lowest number!!! Good for you. Hope you hit your goal in the next 6 weeks. I know the losing can slow down a bit when you get to the very end, but hang in there, you are soooo close.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope I’ll be forgiven for gate crashing on this thread, but I wanted to congratulate Mokovex – fab results! I found when I was struggling with the last few pounds, that a review and seriously getting back to basics helped. I have every confidence you can get to your goal and we’ll be waiting for you on the ‘After reaching your Target, what next’ thread when you get there.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good going everyone. Keep it going over the weekend. Week ends always seem to throw up challenges, don’t they?

It’s granddaughter’s year 12 Ball tonight and there are some close family and friends in town from “over east” as we say here in Western Australia, or call them “Eastern Staters”, if they live anywhere east of the Nullabor Plain. Kept us a little busy keeping them out of the way of the mother&daughter nerves. And how do you do that? Take them out to eat and drink, of course😈 Oh, but she did look so beautiful, I’m welling up as I write this.💝 Hang the extra calories …….

MFODAAT x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Arcticfox – have you been following BSD for a long time? Your post reminded me
    of something I’ve been following on Facebook. One of the members in a FB 8 week BSD group I’m in had found her weight loss had stalled. So other group members advised her to switch her diet around for 2 weeks so that it was Low fat and higher carbs. For 2 weeks she had bread, potatoes, porridge etc each day (in limited amounts though) and lower fat (so things like cottage cheese instead of cheese). Anyway she lost 7lb in the 2 weeks! There was some reasoning behind this, it was due to the body sometimes needing to have things mixed up, especially after long term low carb, healthy fat diets which BSD is.
    I did find last year that my weight loss picked up after a temporary stall when I went away for a weekend and ate off plan foods. My weight went up initially and then I had a big whoosh.

I need to re-focus as I’ve had a few up and down weeks so far this year, am struggling and not in the right headspace to be honest. I’ve had problems at work, problems at home, problems with family members… 2018 has not been a good year so far!
    But on a positive note, I found a pretty little diet journal when I was out shopping last week, it was only $5. It has some motivational quotes in it, articles about mindfulness etc and space for doodles and drawings…you use it to monitor your progress over 30 weeks. i spent yesterday batch cooking some BSD meals and sides, and have made a plan for the week, so am hoping the scales will start moving in the right direction again soon!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi SueBlue – I can understand not being in the right headspace. I really wasn’t before I started at the end of September, and I was struggling through the end of December and into the third week of January. Once I got on plan again, I lost 2kg in the first week. I think my hunger was my body fighting back a bit against losing so much in one week. I lost that much and more in the first few weeks, but didn’t experience the hunger, but I’m getting closer to target now, and I’m still losing inches so something is still happening inside. This could also be a result of cutting back to 1 piece of fruit per day. I had vowed to actually try increasing my carb intake for this challenge, but I’ve actually been finding it quite difficult due to the lack of fruit. Anyway, the carb blow out actually quelled my hunger and unlike what would usually happen it hasn’t resulted in me wanting any more today. I had a bit of a whoosh on the scales this morning and I’ve now lost what must have been some accumulating water weight plus another 100g from where I was at weigh-in on Tuesday. I think the lesson learned is that if I am craving carbs like that again, then I should really trust and listen to my body but try to use some healthier carb options so that I don’t end up going all out on the unhealthy ones. I like the idea of mixing things up. I was doing some experimenting before this challenge started with things I hadn’t had in a while, and trying them one at a time. I have discovered that products with corn (maize) in them really do not agree with me, which I sort of suspected previously but for some reason it never stopped me from eating them. After an incredible and literal gut-wrenching experience after consuming just a small amount, I can say that I really don’t want to eat corn or corn-based products again. Luckily that cuts out a huge array of junk foods from my diet! I haven’t had the same issues with potatoes or wheat, so I may be able to add them back in in moderation at some point.

Mokovex – thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, and well done on getting within a kg of target! I have been having success over the last 2 weeks skipping breakfast and 16:8 in an intermittent fashion. In addition to the 41 hour fast I did 2 weeks ago, I think it was responsible for breaking through my plateau. I really think that being so hungry this week while losing inches but not seeing the scale shifting was my body saying “hey, you lost so much weight last week and I’m still trying to catch up! Please eat some more to give me a chance!”

Shanshu – I like how you equated the transgression with just being equivalent to a few maintenance days. That certainly helps to put it in perspective. I was on track to be at 800cal for the day before consuming the carbs, so in reality I probably only consumed a maintenance level of calories when all was said and done.

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

Gattina – sorry I’m late in responding to your post. It’s good to talk to another veggie. I’m struggling to keep to 800 cals, keep my protein up and my carbs down!. My diet sounds much like yours with cheese, eggs, yoghurt, avocado etc. I’m laying off lentils and beans as that shoots my carb count out of the water.
    I’m weighing most days to try and keep myself on track, and I’m trying to be patient when the scales don’t move. The weight is coming off slowly – no big causes for celebration – but when I checked my records I found I’ve lost 7 lbs since January 3rd. It seems to have gone from my back ribs, which I am pleased about as I hate the pads of fat which accumulated by my bra fastening. I’m struggling too to drink enough, but I’ve discovered that I quite like tea with no milk so that should help. The cat knocked over my two litre jug of water on the kitchen table the other morning, swamping my Tablet and a precious book – grrr!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Sorry – have to make this quick as it’s a busy weekend. I have put on 1/2 a lb – despite being very good for the last two days. Probably the naughtiness of Monday and Thursday catching up to me. Hopefully I’ll start to shift some soon.

Good luck everyone – hope you’re ok

• posted by Izzy
    on

hi, hope everyone is doing ok, I’ve had a quick scan but don’t have time to read everything lol.

I’m weighing in monthly for less pressure, having started about 2 weeks into January but wanting to weigh at beginning of month for easy counting and tracking. So I’ve lost 7.5lb’s in January and I’m happy with that 🙂

I’m feeling really tired and sluggish today, nothing to do with BSD though, just a bit… meh.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Izzy that’s a brilliant weight loss – well done. Hope you feel better soon.
    Crazyquitter – that’s a good loss too. Those crazy cats have a way of taking over our lives – mine certainly have.
    Marsie – we all need to spoil ourselves sometime and your granddaughter’s ball sounds like the perfect occasion.
    Mokovex – that is a fabulous weight loss overall – I hope the last few pounds will shift soon – I’m sure they will.
    Arcticfox – well done getting into you slimmest jeans – that’s a real achievement.

My fasting blood sugar this morning was at the lowest it’s every been – 4.8. Counting the carbs has really made a difference – it’s hard to do as my food choices are quite limited, but the results are worth it. My weigh-in day tomorrow – I’ll report back on this week’s results. I feel lighter and my clothes feel much looser

take care all

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks Gattina, I rescued a pair of true to size (not vanity sized) UK size 14 (US size 10) jeans out of the charity pile and tried them on. They are the smallest jeans I have ever owned as an adult. They almost fit! I still look a bit poured in, with a slight bit of muffin-top over the waistband, but the last time they fit like this I weighed about 75kg and I had to be under about 72kg for them to fit properly. It is interesting that I am a similar size at over 4kg heavier. I think it definitely shows the power of this woe and intermittent fasting and that my body has been getting rid of a lot of fat lately. I have to say that this has really made my day and I am thrilled to bits. I tried them on before starting bsd and I even with them fully unzipped I couldn’t get the waistband up and over my thighs! Which is why they ended up in the charity pile. I always loved these jeans due to the fact that they are smaller through the waist than most jeans which works really well for my pear shape. Normally I have to put up with a huge gaping waist in jeans in order to get ones that fit around my hips and thighs. Anyway, sorry to drone on about my jeans. It has given me a shot of motivation though!
    I’m still catching up on posts after a bit of a busy time.
    Milalin – glad to see you have come through your surgery and are managing to get some good food to eat!
    Izzy – a great weight loss for January. Sorry to hear you are tired, and hope you can get some rest and feel better.
    Crazyquilter – welcome. It took me a while to start posting as well, but the support I’ve received here has been unbelievable. I am also mostly veggie. I will eat the occassional piece of fish, but not often enough for me to really think of myself as pescatarian. I really struggle with very low carb and keeping my protein levels up as I have the added challenge of being allergic to soy. I haven’t had a single day under 35g of carbs, and usually I’ve been around 50-60g. I’ve maybe lost a bit slower than I might have, but it has still worked. I’ve been trying to get my protein through a wide variety of sources through the day such as greek yogurt, kefir, nuts and seeds, eggs, lentils, cheese, etc.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Gattina – great news about the blood sugars. Well done. I found my testing kit yesterday and have ordered some new needles so should be able to test on Wednesday.

Articfox – size 14 jeans? I’m sure you’ll be in them in no time and what a great feeling. I have so many clothes I need to go through and get rid of that are now too big so whilst I can’t fit in loads of stuff yet, I think it will feel good to discard the larger clothes.

I think my two nights of large meals caught up with me as I went up another lb yesterday. However today, I went down that lb. So hopefully this is the start of more loss as I’m now marginally less than I was on Tuesday but not as low as I have been in 2018.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Woo hoo – who’s that skinny woman over there? It’s me! OK – that might be stretching it a bit but I’ve lost another 3lbs this morning making a total of 6lbs this week 🙂 And blood glucose still normal. I’m feeling very pleased with myself.

I’m struggling to find clothes to wear comfortably at the moment – my fat clothes are now too loose. My usual work trousers are far too big for me – and my ‘slimmer’ clothes are still a bit snug. I’m trying to get by with a few items I think I can get away with – but I can’t wait to go shopping for even slimmer clothes. Shansu – that’s a good idea to get rid of the larger clothes, once they’re gone they won’t be available ‘just in case’.

KOKO

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Gattina, other posted have suggested taking advantage of charity shops for a few items of clothing to fill in until your smaller clothes fit. Nobody wants to invest a lot of money in new clothes that may only fit for 6 weeks or so. So getting some gently worn ones that you can wear, and then redonate later, may give you some options.

And congratulations on such a great start !

• posted by Gattina
    on

That’s a good idea Luvtook – thanks

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Gattina that’s what I’ve been doing, have found some great bargains in charity shops, sometimes the clothes are new complete with their original tags. It’s been great for work clothes especially. Once my own clothes are too big, I dontate those to the charity shops, so it’s good all round 🙂
    I’ve also been buying a few pieces in the next size down (when I see something I really love, but it’s not my size) and I use those for inspiration, trying them on every few weeks. It’s a lovely feeling when you eventually fit into them!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Good morning all, another busy eeekend behind me and I’m stunned to record a small loss from last week, only 300g but I was prepared for a gain so I’m happy. This still has me above my start weight but I’ve gone back to basics, back to what I was doing last year with soup batches for work and better portion sizes for my dinners and it feels good. Head finally in the right place again.

We have milder weather forecast for this week so it’s a pleasure instead of a penance to go walking, all systems are go!

I trawled the op shops as well while I was dropping weight quickly, the selection where I live isn’t marvellous but I found a few things to tide me over. I’ve never been a big clothes shopper but it’s so much more fun now that I’m in Aussie size 8-10 instead of 18 that I have to be mindful, it can really add up!

It’s also great fun to drastically clear out my wardrobe and get rid of those things I bought, not because I liked them but because they fit.

Heads up and striding into this week of the challenge 💗

• posted by Flick
    on

Morning all, hell so many posts to catch up on. Great blood results Gattina and some great weight losses. Mokovex – wow so close to your goal! Izzy great result for January. Shanshu sounds like the scales are moving in the right direction and hello Crazyquilter. Mariet good to hear your plans and a .3 loss is great way to atart. Arcticfox, yippee for those size 14s!

My weight is also bouncing around this week but I feel and am slimmer. I’ve lost another centimetre from my waist and 3 from my hips. Very, very happy about this last one as it also covers that lower belly paunch! I’m just hoping my clothes last out the summer.

Here’s my weekly weigh in –

Challenge starting weight 65.8kg
    Week 1 65.1
    Week 2 64.4 = -0.7kg.

I did tip down to 64kg for one happy day. I’ve been 64.4 for three mornings now so hopefully due for a drop. This week I’m planning extending my usual 16.8 to 24 hours a couple of days and see if that jolts things along. After 12 weeks now I’m keen to have this done!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good morning all on our weigh-in Tuesday, end of week 2.

TaDa🎶🎶
    I have a new BSD low= 60.7kg.〽
    I’m happy💃
    Haven’t been here for probably 15 years and it is exactly 1kg for the week, 600g overnight. This is unusual for me and my mission now has to be denying free reign to my strong self-sabotage tendencies. And to continue on… I still have fast too much fat around the middle.

Well done flick, with your results, including your waist reduction.

Also Mariet, especially after your earlier disappointment. And great NSV with your clothing size now.

Looking forward to all the weigh-in details to come.

MFODAAT xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Reporting a zero loss still at 58.8kg, it it’s so stable I cannot be despondent. I am eating what I like, more or less when I like, and that seems like a victory too. Getting blood test today, so will have fasted for at least 16 hrs by then, be interesting to see what happens.

NSV – drinking more water, eating seeds and green things – loads of fibre and good stuff. Supplementing with krill oil, evening primrose oil and a general vitamin. Eating less animal fat. Feel fab. Also sorting my fungal feet out, which makes me happy!

Aim for next week – away in Italy at altitude. Keep water up and don’t stress if I have limited diet. Maybe I should take my seeds with me!

Please log in or register to post a reply.