Keeping calm and carrying on – my low-carb maintenance journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi KrysiaD

9at 7lb was the top of my healthy BMI as only 5’1″. The range for me is 7st to 9st 7lb but I don’t want to lose much more.

The diabetes nurse wanted me to stop at 10st but is happy to see me lower!

Oh – I’m 66 years of age.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

That’s interesting that the diabetes nurse wanted you to stop at 10 stone. Obviously much too high for you. I think I will do what you have done and keep going down as I think we do know our own bodies better than anyone else. I can still see area of fat on myself that need to go. But it is much slower now as I am getting closer to ideal weight.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

You’re doing so well on maintenance. You must really feel in ‘control’ now. It’s often very difficult when the goals have been reached as you don’t have the quite the same ‘push’ to reach a new place. Suppose it must be a bit like running on the spot!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Lynn – good to see you are still doing well and that the maintenance has not been difficult for you. I am still hoping to drop a few more pounds, before seriously getting into the maintenance, but I have had a couple of short periods on semi-maintenance and found I gained a couple of pounds each time. Because of this, I want to drop a couple of extra pounds before going into maintenance, to give me a bit of a buffer.

Always great to read your inspirational posts – keep going please!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD – the diabetes nurse speaks mixed messages about the BSD as well as my weight. So I tend to take what she says with a pinch of salt! The figure is good now, but it’s taking time to get used to seeing cheekbones!

Verano – it is a bit like running on the spot. Or walking through treacle. Strange not to have to work to reach the target. The Prof said the challenge is not to let the weight creep up. I still weigh daily to monitor what’s happening, and that helps.

SunnyB – exactly why I dropped below my original target. I wanted that wriggle room.

I’ll keep posting as long as folk want me to. Might start a new thread at my first Anniversary on 19th December, or on 1st January. Suggestions for thread names welcome!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well, I’ll not eat that again!

A few days ago I had some cream ( for the first time in ages) and it upset my stomach. So I decided to try alternatives. Yesterday I bought coconut yogurt. And it has really upset my stomach!

To increase my calories I’ve added yogurt and cashew nuts in. But had upset stomach. They are the only foods I’ve eaten differently so we’re the suspects.

Looking online, I see that dairy and cashews can have this effect! Years ago I loved prawns and other shellfish, but then started to react to them. Same with peanuts.

Now it seems to be dairy and cashew! Also coconut milk is known to cause some problems! I’ve got some soys yogurt but need my stomach to settle first! I’ve ordered a book on FODMAP because it seems like I need to avoid some foods for a while.

I’ve always had to avoid some foods because I reacted to them. As a child I couldn’t drink the milk at school, but grew out of that. Broad beans always brought me out in hives. Now it looks like I need to avoid others for a while!

Ho hum. Are we downhearted? NO. Another challenge. More experimentation and record keeping. I once did an exclusion diet where the list of foods I could eat was a lot shorter than the list I had to avoid, but then could gradually introduce foods back. Just need to give my stomach a rest from the suspects, then gradual reintroduction. And looking for alternatives.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi CL

Suggestions for next thread name: 1. WATCH THIS SPACE…. I know I will be. 2. YEAR TWO STARTING TODAY. 3. BSD BMI and BEYOND! 4. CAPTAIN THYNNE.

Horses for courses, I’ve had a decade of food intolerances, just when you think you are OK it switches, same with medications. I discovered there is a condition where one has a paradoxical reaction to foods and or meds. Weird to get a handle on that one. I was recently blaming the coconut milk until I isolated the problem in the psyllium and chia seed IN the milk porridge. Imagine those healthy grains doing the exact opposite to what they should in your ultra healthy diet. Back to the drawing board.

Update on maintenance programme. I can up the cals to 1000 from time to time without worrying but do so mindful of what I choose. The weight is stable within a 500g (1lb) range, however I find I am wanting to nibble all day, grazing and thinking what to eat much more than I did on the formal fast BSD.

Plan: Have a more sustaining breakfast, fat, protein, carbs in proportion and see the result. Have only the good stuff on hand ….not much of a change there. Remember that I have a choice to be here where I really love to be or back where I started in March. I reread a magazine article about Dr Claire and Dr Michael and their latest…always a boost.

N.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – that is a shame that you are reacting to cream, cashews and dairy which are all healthy. It’s great that you are really body aware and can sort this.

It is so interesting that the things you are sensitive to change over time. This makes perfect sense to me. In the 80s – when I was struggling with weight issues and IBS type symptoms I did the exclusion diet and the major culprit was wheat. I was told that if I completely cut out wheat for 3 months I would lose the intolerance and be able to eat it again – for a while before the intolerance would return again. I can’t remember why that would be but the nutritionist was right the wheat intolerance always came back.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning Nettle and KrysiaD ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป

I think food sensitivities change like our tastes in food. And sometimes we’ve just eaten too much of something for too long. That’s what happened with prawns. Used to love prawns so ate lots of them. Then I reacted to them. Avoided them for ages, then tried to reintroduce them – one at a time! But sometimes I can eat a few, other times not. A friend who knows about these things says it’s not the prawns themselves but what they eat that’s the problem. Another friend loves prawns, ate a King Prawn Ring from Iceland (the store) and reacts to them – should see her hives! But still eats prawns!

For me, the worst was peanuts. Years ago I was in a Texas, 4th July weekend, and we’d been eating a lot of Snickers icecream every night. One night I went to bed, knew something was wrong and realised lips were swelling. Friend dosed me with industrial strength antihistamines and I got through the night. Next morning I got in the shower (tepid) and skin was so sensitive that just the water hitting it brought me out in hives. I’ve not touched peanuts since!

Interestingly peanuts are not nuts, but legumes – related to broad beans, which brought me out in hives even as a child!

Guess what word I always check out in the language of any country I visit. In Italy I found the words for peanuts and cashews are very similar! Always had to double chevk.

Now – a question. After my Marks and Spencer bra fitting experience a few months ago, and the comments by the Daily Mail lady, I’m thinking of following her advice and going to Rigby and Peller. For those who don’t know, this is expensive – supply lingerie to the Queen. Apparently they are the best lingerie fitters. I’ve spent so much time and money on bras that aren’t right that this seems a reasonable option. Fitting appointment is free of charge, but bras are expensive. Apparently they are good quality, comfortable, and last well. Perhaps one? It means travelling to Harrogate – closer than London. And next week is pay day. What do you think?

• posted by Verano
    on

I say GO FOR IT!!!! I have also heard that they are so good at fitting that you cant believe you spent your whole life wearing the wrong size!!

You’ve done the body and the eyes so why not go the whole hog … we only get here once so you may as well enjoy!!!

BTW that’s really interesting about prawns but even more so about peanuts and cashews. I had no idea that peanuts are legumes. They say you learn something new everyday so that’s my new bit of information for today!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป

My thinking exactly. I’m booked for colours, makeup and style consultation after Christmas and been thinking I should get new undies. All helps the clothes look better. Teheran total I’ve spent on wrong bras would easily have bought me one good one from R&P ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Will report back on experience!๐Ÿ˜€

Lots of people don’t know peanuts are legumes when I found out, it made sense of why I reacted to the dreaded broad beans! Our bodies are strange ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well, I’ve been and gone and done it!๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Appointment made with Rigby and Peller for Wednesday 30th November!

I can already hear my bank account groaning!

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done!!

You can’t take it with you so enjoy!!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

My friend went and said it was the best thing she ever did also made her look slimmer. She said the staff didn’t even measure her just looked and came back with the perfect size in fact it fit so well and looked so pretty she bought 3!so enjoy you’ve earns it,

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks for the reassurance ๐Ÿ˜€ They offered a glass of prosecco for the appointment. I declined and asked for … yes, you guessed, black coffee ๐Ÿ˜€

I must remember – I am worth it!!!

Could say I’m spending my family’s inheritance. Can’t take it with me. No pockets in shrouds. Etc. Etc. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just thought – last time I had a proper fitting (many years ago, in a department store that no longer exists) I bought good bras. Then went on a diet. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Done it the right way round this time. ๐Ÿ˜€ Question is, can I leave with just one?

• posted by Verano
    on

You have such strength if character that I’m sure you will be able to leave with one. The question is …. will you want to!!!!

• posted by topcac
    on

You may leave with one but once you put on any of your others you’ll realise you have to have more…. just saying ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Girls
    Now look what you made me do….fall in love with a style from R&P, Deauville, great colour range too which I can but imagine from afar. I was suprised it was reasonably priced. I think here in NZ we have always paid OTT for big gals bras. My recent “downsized” purchases have been much more affordable and fun with greater variety too.

Lynne, three bras will be justified, one for your anniversary next month, one for Christmas of course and one for the next birthday. See how easy it is, you ask for advice and heynonnienonnie you get it. How about one ยฃ spend up for each lb lost. Isn’t that nigh on 2.5 bras depending on price….Ask for a multi purchase discount, a loyalty card, a model’s (that’s you lady ๐Ÿ˜‰) discount, they get all sorts of samples…if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Have fun, that’s the main thing.
    N

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Nettle- apologies for leading you astray LOL

The lady I spoke with mentioned a complete wardrobe of bras – including a sports bra๐Ÿ˜ฑ Said I would ease into this gradually. Yes, right! Depends on what’s I’m shown and the price. At one pound per pound lost, that’s one bra – if that! Said they were expensive!

My Christmas present is the colour/makeup/style session. So this must be my Anniversary present ๐Ÿ˜€ Then I can go back next year for my birthday ๐Ÿ˜€ And I’m thinking of using the personal shopper service the Colour Me Beautiful consultant offers! That depends on how we get on when I see her just after Christmas and if I can do it myself after the day with her. Money saved on not using her again would buy lots of clothes – if I can find them.

Need to get my head into buying quality that lasts rather than cheap and it fits.

This is so not me – it’s quite scary๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – of course you do have to take into account all the money you have saved on your food bills for the year! I am sure it must really be adding up – enough probably to pay for more than one or two bras.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD- what about all the clothes I’ve had to buy this year!๐Ÿ˜ฑ And all the dodgy bras!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Oh dear – I had forgotten about all that.

I bought a pair of jeans in August when I thought 10 stone 7lbs was my goal weight. Now, even with a belt, they just look too baggy. They were really expensive jeans and they will look even more baggy when I reach my real target weight of somewhere between 9 stone 4 and 9 stone 7lbs.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia …. sounds like you’ll soon be in need of a good dress maker!!!! Nonetheless, well done on a great achievement.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi CaptainLynne. If you can sort out your colours/styles after your session, before booking the consultant again why not try a personal shopper at your nearest clothing stores? I’ve used the service ay HoF and it was great – no pressure to buy and styles I wouldn’t have thought of. Husband was impressed with the experience and even suggests we go and use it! You usually need to book but there is no charge – and have even been given perfume and make up samples to go home with too.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi AnnieW – great suggestion. Thanks.

I’m having colours/makeup/styles all done in one day (in York) just after Christmas. Treating myself.

I live near Durham, with no large clothes shops. I’d have to think about which shopping centre to visit – don’t really like Newcastle, so could be York again. The advantage of choosing the consultant is that she takes you to various shops, rather than just one. But I’ll see how I feel about it in the new year.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well, what could I say?

Just been talking with a lady celebrating her 97th birthday tomorrow. I said if I do as much as her at that age I’d be happy. Her response – “You’ll not live that long. You don’t eat”! Assured her I do eat, and am fitter than in years. But she won’t have it. Finished up telling her not to ring the undertaker because I’m not ready for him yet๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Grrrrr. Some people.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Lynne she probably thought you were such a skinny little thing and has that old fashioned idea to put some meat on your bones. Bless….

• posted by Natalie
    on

Actually calorie restriction is proven to extend lifespan!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi KrysiaD

As the waist shrunk away I too had the expensive jeans hanging there out of a job, I am from a long line of frugal folk therefore what had been a splash out seemed to be such a waste…going back to the frugal girls in my maternal line I remembered Mum boiling clothes up to shrink them…sometimes not on purpose!๐Ÿ˜ฒ I tried it and found it worked for a few weeks, then needed a belt, what a novelty, now they hang there as a trophy. No way will they see my legs on board again. On a whim I purchased size 10 the day I was buying size 12 of a really bargain line blue jean. I wore the 12 twice and have lived in the 10 since, the inner smile as I ignore the big ones and grab the wee ones is worth it!

CaptainLynne

I had to smile when I read your line…”no large clothes shops ” my response was SHE DOESN’T NEED LARGE CLOTHES ANYMORE until I read it again.

Raining and murky outdoors however I have to get the motivation up to go to aquafit by 0800hrs, had two weeks off feeling off colour so really need to get up get out get wet.

N

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Nettle

Glad you worked out what I meant๐Ÿ˜€ Perhaps I could have worded it better LOL

• posted by Nettle
    on

CaptainLynne
    The small clothes shops are called boutiques, you and your personal person may well be seen in a few one day soon. Imagine yourself stepping over the threshold and being as tiny as the woman running the shop. Who would have thought. ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜—๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜

N

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Nettle

Not really such an animal near me๐Ÿ˜ฑ Apart from Marks and Spencer clothes shops tend to cater for the student population

I picked up a skirt in Asda recently – even at my great height of 5’1″ it was short!๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Must book shopping trips to big cities next year. Looks like I’ll be back to Italy for a week late March – keeping my friend company while her husband is in USA for 2 months. Might have more time for ‘girlie’ shopping on our own๐Ÿ˜€ He likes shopping – just not for clothes! Must remember I’m only taking hand luggage๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CAPTAINLYNNE Thats a great idea having yr colours etc done! And a lovely New Year treat for you…much deserved! Dont forget to report back..will be v interesting to hear yr results xx

• posted by Peapod
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Just wondering if there is a bus that goes to the Arnison Centre for you to shop there. I occasionally go with my petite friends who have had some lovely things from Laura Ashley and Outfit. I can only look longingly in Laura Ashley and usually end up buying something for the house. My aim is to get into ‘normal’ sizes and buy something that I actually like. I am using your posts as inspiration , 13 lbs down, 87 to go !
    Enjoy having your colours and fitting done. You truly deserve your success .

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Nettle
    I am also from a long line of frugal folk which is why my big splash out on the very expensive jeans seems such a waste. At the time I thought that the best I could ever be on the BSD was 10 stone 7lbs. With 2lb to go before I hit 9 stone 7lbs – how wrong I was. Your tip about the very hot wash is a good one – I will definitely try it. I do remember my mother in law shrinking clothes like that – but it was never ever on purpose.

My frugal side is very happy today as a lovely smart lined fleece, that looks more like a jacket than a fleece, fits me perfectly. I bought it at a ridiculously low bargain price when a local shop closed down many many years ago.

I also found a pair of size 10 very expensive Rohan winter walking trousers that I bought so long ago at a bargain price that I can’t even remember when that was. They fit perfectly. Over the years I have kept meaning to take them to our local animal charity shop – I am so glad that I didn’t.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yowzer – had my colours done once before, but they’ve fine-tuned the system since. I was a Winter. My guess would be that I’m still Winter- but what sub-category? Also getting makeup advice (colours and application) and style consultation (what style of clothes, accessories etc best suit me – very much needed now!). All in one day ๐Ÿ˜ฑ Will report back when I recover!

Peapod – yes, bus from Durham goes to Arnison. Was there Saturday, funnily enough. Not a great fan. Found the woolly tights I’d been looking for, plus food shopping. Bags then too heavy to explore further. Only went because I’d been to visit someone in Durham hospital so Inwas nearly there! Great results so far – keep it up.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another Saturday, another official weighing day, and ….. another pound lost. Weight today 8stone 9 pounds. That’s 103 pounds less of me than when I started the BSD!

It’s a really busy time of year for me, our Toy Appeal and distributing the toys, today is our Christmas Fair, lots of folk are ill, and yesterday had an important meeting to decide our budget for 2018/19! That meant lots of travelling on top of the stress!

So – if anyone thinks I look tired, I am. It’s not the weight loss, it’s lying awake worrying and dashing around travelling to different meetings in different locations on public transport on top of everything I should be doing!

Must remember to put makeup on before I go out to the Fair. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Peapod
    on

Well done Lynne ! Your weight loss continues to amaze me. Hope things calm down for you a little so you can relax and enjoy yourself a bit more.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Peapod – the reality is it will be Christmas before things calm down. Then a few days away between Che and New Year for my treat, then resting until 2nd January when it starts again. Emergencies allowing.

I can’t believe the weight is still coming off. My lowest adult weight was 8st 7lb (and that was when I’d been ill). At that weight the figure was great (uk size 8, tops tucked in, etc) but the face looked haggard. Always said I could use a photo from those days to scare naughty children!๐Ÿ˜ฑ

My healthy BMI range is 7 st to 9 st 7 lbs so I’m comfortably in that range but can’t even imagine what I would look like at 7 stone – that is a scary thought, it seems much too low. But is it only scary because I’I’ve not seen that figure on the scales?

It’s probably best for me to just keep on keeping on, day by day, and see what happens, with no particular weight or dress size in mind. I do think sizes have changed over the years. I was size 8 at this weight, now a size 10! Still, what is a number? Just that. And a much nicer number than 22 or 24, especially at 5’1″!

• posted by sandylane
    on

Hi all, I have now reached the end of the 8 weeks of this diet; I will be continuing it, albeit at a 1,000 calorie a day level….

I am now no longer pre-diabetic!!! Wooooo Hooo!
    My results….

Total Weight Lost = 18.7 Kg ( 3 stone!)
    Average morning fasting blood glucose: 5.6 mmol/l, down from 6.6 mmol/l at the start.
    HBA1C = 38, down from 46 at the start!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Two comments from today: “you need to get some Yorkshire puddings inside you” and “are you ok? Are you sure?” The response I have developed is “I’m fine. Honestly. But thank you for caring”.

sandylane – great results ๐Ÿ’

• posted by captainlynne
    on

A very minor nsv today.

I’m wearing thick, warm, cable tights. So what? Not only are they size small (unlike my old extra large ordinary tights!) but the colour and pattern aren’t affected by fat legs!

The cables are not stretched.

Yippee!

Sorry, but it doesn’t take much to make me happy ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Verano
    on

And it doesn’t take much to make me smile!! And you have! The pleasures of being slim … I’ve forgotten them but will remember them in 2017.

Have a good day even if it is freezing!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

I love NSVs. Last year my husband kindly washed my wool boyfriend cardie and it shrunk big time but ta da yesterday it not only fit but was back to being baggy again.

I’m on the sleigh hanging on tight particularly over the bumps that are the Christmas meals etc

• posted by Peapod
    on

Lynne, glad the tights look good. It reminds me of a friend of mine who was wearing tights with a little robin pattern on them. At a family gathering her brother in law commented on them , she felt flattered until he rather ungallantly added ‘but I bet they turn into ruddy great vultures at the top ‘ .
    Keep warm in those lovely tights, it’s a chilly day here in the North East !

• posted by captainlynne
    on

LOL Peapod.

More than a little chilly in my part of the northeast.

Bus from village to Bishop Auckland, now waiting for next bus – to Barnard Castle. Visiting someone very ill in hospital there. A couple of hours each way for a very brief visit.

I’ve got so many layers on. Tights, socks, thermal vest, blouse, cardigan, uniform jacket, skirt, scarf, woolly hat, gloves, coat and boots. Still cold.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Captainlynne you’ve got a lot less subcutaneous layers keeping you warm! When I started this round of BSD (I’m in week 8 now) I was cold all the time like a lot of people on the forums, but we are one day from summer here in Sydney so now I’m back to hot all the time! Just move to Aus, you’ll be fine.

• posted by topcac
    on

hee hee – subcutaneous layers – love it!

Minus 6 here in the very sunny but cold East Midlands – am currently wearing shirt, cashmere jumper and suit jacket – in my office…with the fan heater on. Have my hat , gloves and coat for a lunchtime walk but am worried about my legs!!

Definitely much colder without the insulating properties of extra flab!

• posted by Antigone
    on

This post is just what I needed. Thank you Captain Lynn and posters all! I’ve been away from the forum for a while and I have strayed a little from the BSD straight and narrow – not too much as I find it suits me very well – but I have had the odd treat!. Reading through the posts I am once again enthused and will pull my (baggy now!) socks up. I was seriously considering stopping logging my food on MFP for December but now I won’t. I haven’t gained weight but I know I was dangerously close to undermining my diligence since August. I have lost 2.5 stones which is great – it took around 10 years to put that on – now I would like to lose some more ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to hearing about the bra fitting ! Pleased to hear about your makeover treats Lynne – something I suspect many of us would love to do but have put off because of our weight issues….in the past!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Antigone – and anyone else who is interested:

Went to Rigby and Peller in Harrogate today. And came home with TWO new bras. One nude, one red and black! One size 34D, one32E. Apparently the two sizes are almost the same, depends on the make. Plus small bottle of rinseless soakwash to hand wash said undies. I was thinking if it came in under a certain figure I’d get more than one – and it did, so I bought the two. One for work (under white blouse) – the other was my ‘treat’. I saw it when I was looking round the shop and loved it. Not scarlet, more a burgundy, and black. To brighten my day๐Ÿ˜€

She did try to persuade me to buy matching knickers! Err … not today!

They recommend going every 6 months to be re-measured. That takes it to June (and my birthday) ๐Ÿ˜€ Who knows what I’ll come out with then!

I have to agree with everyone who has said it’s worth it. Took nearly an hour, trying on different styles and brands. My priority was the ‘every day’ bra but the ‘fun’ bra chose itself. Tried it on and it was a no-brainer – I just had to have it ๐Ÿ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.