KEEP ON KEEPING ON… A New 4 week challenge to 3rd October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello everyone, Mokovex I think it is because people think you might be ill and they are scared to ask but you would think someone could say you were looking well or something. Well done to you and your husband. I was 25 lbs down and that has crept up a bit. I think when I look at my photos I think I dont look as bad as I did so have lost some of the motivation. Now it is creeping back I need to take a long hard look in the mirror and remember what I was like a year ago.

Really stuck to it by not having any wine and I worked out just 2 glasses could add on around 250 to 300 calories which means my 800 soon turns into over a 1000. Thanks to my resolve I have lost just over a pound of 0.5 kg. Going to continue with the same mind set and lose another 2lb over the weekend.

I dont think I mentioned but there is a new gym opened nearby and I thought I would join to get some strength training in as during summer I do around 300 minutes exercise per week (swimming) and in winter it drops to around 150 which is just within the guidelines. Then I thought, you know what, once I get into it I am happy to do 1 hr per day aerobics and stretches etc why dont i just save my money and buy some heavier weights and build my strength up at home and also buy a couple more videos and maybe a yoga one. Anyway that is my plan for my UK trip next month – an exercise shopping spree.

I will be joining the new challenge next week but in the meantime will keep on keeping on…

• posted by topcac
    on

Final weigh in before holiday. What an effing disaster. 2lbs on. I’m absolutely gutted. My average calories have been less than 900 and two of those days were 24hr plus fasts. I can only conclude that I need to eat more often than most. Or that my body is playing tricks. Or that I’m seriously unlucky.

Whichever it is it isn’t the start to my holiday that I wanted but on the plus side I haven’t eaten crap all which I would have done in the past with results like these.

So I’m off. Have fun while I’m away. I bequeath you my challenge title should you wish to use it and I’ll see you on the first weigh in of the next challenge

Go well all xxx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Topcac it does seem very unfair!
    I also have put on 2lb since last Saturday – but the difference is my calories have averaged 1200-1300 and I’ve had NO fasts! Who knows how our bodies work? My high calorie intake was due to my birthday, wedding anniversary and some work functions resulting in meals (and drinks!) out.
    Have you measured yourself recently? I do monthly measurements and they always cheer me up. Although I’ve put on this week (although hopefully will lose again by challenge weigh in day), my measurements showed losses. I’ve now lost 70cm all up (bust-top of stomach-waist-belly button-hips-thighs). I have multiple measuring points lol! But even bust-waist-hips show 37cm loss.
    Anyway, for now enjoy your holiday and worry about the couple of extra pounds when you get back home ๐Ÿ™‚
    Theodora – hope your mum is doing well, what a fright for you both. My MIL had a very nasty fall 5 years ago which resulted in a 6 week hospital stay, 2 weeks in rehab and then 4 weeks staying with us. It took her a year or more to get her confidence back, but she’s fine now.
    Back to the challenge – I now have 3 days to get back to basics and lose this week’s gain! It’s a holiday weekend here, and football finals (both AFL and rugby league). We are having a BBQ today and some guests coming over, but at least as we are hosting I’ll be able to make some BSD friendly foods!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Just back from the awards dinner, and I didn’t win, but considering I was the only shortlisted nominee who wasn’t battling major medical/physical issues to be active, but had simply lost weight I wasn’t at all disappointed. I had a lovely evening talking to the other nominees and enjoyed the qa session with the Olympian taekwondo star. I had fasted all day before that so enjoyed the meal (even the pudding) with no guilt. Now back to basics again for the rest of the challenge ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

it’s happened -0.6lb ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ today 139.9lb I’m in the 130s.

I don’t know how to do emoticons (apart from smiling face) on the computer, if I did, there would be some dancing.

Hubby and I only have 1.5 weeks left of our first BSD 8weeks. We have thoroughly loved it and our lives feel so different. He hasn’t had any health issues to tackle so this has really been about getting slimmer. I have explained before how my headaches have improved etc but we have learned so much more than this.

In terms of weight gains on this WOE, we have both been 99.9% compliant. Only adding in 1 glass of wine in the last couple of weeks. We have also stuck to the same weekly meal plan for the past 4 weeks, so we are eating exactly the same each week. This has been really interesting to chart the days that we lose or gain, they seem to be the same for us both. This has shown us that some foods probably have a slower transit. Ultimately the loses are coming (hubby’s faster than mine) but the pattern is consistently loss-gain-loss with a downwards trajectory. This has been so helpful in learning how to cope with the gains, that not all foods behave equally in the gut.

Wishing you all a gorgeous weekend.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello everyone- am back from my break and feel refreshed and renewed. I find it quite difficult being away and at the mercy of a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I did choose exceptionally well whilst away but even so have put on 3.6 lb. Three meals a day is too much for me now! Anyway, I am back to it this morning and feel focused and back in my comfort zone and hopefully wil achieve my goal during next month’s challenge.

Theodora- sorry to read about your mum’s fall and I hope your mum is doing well and it hasn’t knocked her confidence. I was really mindful when walking in wet areas whilst away at Ragdale after what happened to me earlier this year at the Harrogate Turkish Baths!

Good luck everyone for the last few days of yet another challenge- where does the time go? I am about to embark on my tenth month of BSD! Keep on keeping on really is a great mantra.

on

Hi everyone, welcome back CC and toddle off on your hols and enjoy yourself topcac. I had a weight down day yesterday and then back up a smidge this morning – who knows as I stuck to it like glue having got my mojo back. Did 30 mins heavy aerobics yesterday as well.

I watched the How to Stay Young programme last night (I am always a few days behind) and was pleased to see it was the 800 cal diet for a T2. I was not pleased to see her first days example meal was 2 Shredded wheats, jacket potato and spaghetti bolognaise. I put it through my calculator and it could come in at around 900 calories if the portion of pasta was very small but what happened to the principle of low carbs and healthy fats. Anyway she did show improvement but she is going to have to cut those carbs as 800 calories is not sustainable to low carb is – and it cuts the calories too.

Started my resolve to strength train by doing 100 squats while holding hand weights (1lb each hand) and doing arm curls at the same time. I can tell already that I am not going to be able to walk tomorrow – apparently you have to break the muscle and when it goes into repair it makes itself stronger. Then I did 50 each arm triceps dips with 2lb weight each arm (holding 2 weights in one hand) then I did 3 10 second Hiit sessions of running on the spot. I am going to do that every other day to build up the strength in my arms and legs and hopefully some muscle. The days in between I am going to do 45 minutes aerobics. Lets hope I can keep it up. It helps when I go and put on my proper gym gear rather than doing it in day clothes (jeans and Tshirt). Now I know to buy 2lb weights – I am too old to go much heavier but I want to build up so could eventually use a 2lb and 1lb together in one hand to increase the load.

Hope you are all having a successful weekend – enjoy.

on

Mokovex – with regard to your post mentioning that only one person has commented about your weight loss, this happened to me also until I lost around 33 lb when people started to ask “have you lost weight”? I am of the opinion that I don’t think people we see every day actually take any notice of us! One thing that has upset me is that I have told my Aunty on numerous occasions about my BSD journey and about my weight loss and she has never commented on how well I have done and in fact changes the subject! I find it quite bizarre! maybe a little envious? Nowt as queer as folk as we say up north!

on

Definitely aching today but just a little bit. Was going to loosen up by taking a long walk but it is raining so will watch some recorded programmes this afternoon while walking on the spot and doing a few bends and stretches. Weight is still hovering around to 75.9 mark and hoping for more loss. Forever the optimist which is why my catch phrase is keep on keeping on… I am just so stubborn, I never give up.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi sunshine-girl. Well done on your exercise, I need to get to grips with doing more strengthening. Not to rain on your parade but do be mindful that you may experience a slight gain (and see 76 again ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ). It Will only be temporary while your muscles repair themselves as they hold onto fluid to do this work. It maybe negligible, I hope so, but even so doing the exercises can only be good for you in the long run. Thanks for motivating me to do more.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Welcome back CC and hope your break is a restful one topac.
    Today +0.5lb

This is my usual weekend weight gain and so not catastrophic. Hubby and I were chatting about whether we should try to eliminate some of the meals that cause this weekly gain. We have decided not to because the general trajectory is loss and this way we have a weekly practice of managing how we handle gain which should stand us in good stead beyond the 8 weeks. Those meals are compliant, delicious and are good fuel.

Clarinet, I agree that people either don’t notice our weight or don’t know how to handle it. I guess they need to be sure that our loss is definitely in the positive category (intentional) rather than negative (the result of illness etc.). I can imagine how frustrating/upsetting your Aunty’s response, or lack thereof, is. Sometimes other peoples motives for what they do or don’t say are incomprehensible.

Theodora, how is your mum doing? I hope she is recovering well.

Sunshine girl, well done on the exercise. Echo, AnnieW, try and focus on the strength gained and less on the weight on the scales, that will right itself over time. But I know, easy to say, harder to do.

My next target is to do exactly that myself. It is one thing to believe that it is body fat (rather than weight) that is the greater indicator of health it is another to have an altered focus. My aim is to get to 23-24% (currently around 32%) which will be a huge shift in body composition. I have never been lower than 28-29% even when my BMI was 17!

Go well today,

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi all,
    Have just run with topcac’s bequeathed title and opened a new thread to move to after our closing weighin tomorrow. Look for :

Eating clean for Halloween โ€“ 4 week challenge ending 31 October???

Oh, sigh/lol……I’ve just realised my clumsy fingers have added some stray ??? and its too late to edit them from the title.๐Ÿ˜œ

Cheers x

on

AnnieW was right about a small gain in weight due to the extensive exercise and my muscles repairing themselves – oh and a few glasses of wine – must have been the muscles then. Back to 76kg.

Because I have increased my insulin injections from 19 units to 24 for the holiday naughtiness and now back to 23 units, I decided to try increasing the Glycazide by half a tablet (my prescriptions says to take no more than 4 daily and I take 2 normally). Anyway, yesterday morning I had 2.5 tablets and by 4pm my BG was down to 3.1 which is seriously getting close to hypo to which I immediately used my hypo remedy with a chocolate from my Cadbury box – I dont normally do this but 3.1 was serious. Then I had a slice of ham and then half a yoghurt with 2 prunes and was right as rain. But, just shows it is the Glycazide that cause low blood sugar and I will stick with 2 tabs daily – just reduce the insulin bit by bit.

I go away in 2.5 weeks to spend a week or so with my family in Birmingham. Fortunately, besides the odd meal out (on the ferry going and coming back) and a few drinks, I tend to stick very closely to my food plan, also my daughter does paleo so not many carbs in that. Anyway, I usually end up doing all the cooking so I am still in charge.

See you all at the weigh in tomorrow then off to a new challenge.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Final check-in for this challenge and my result is 1kg down for the 4 weeks. A little disappointing because on Saturday I was within 200g of my goal (2kg) but a very social long weekend has put paid to that ๐Ÿ˜ข

I did a 24 hour fast yesterday to try to minimise the damage but clearly not enough! I had hoped that 2 days of strenuous crewing on the sailboat might counteract the indulgences…

See you all on the new challenge!

• posted by Marsie
    on

64.3kg this morning to finish this challenge (which it was!!). That means a .4kg rise despite my first attempt at a 24 hr fast. I’ll have another try, there must be something to it.

Over now to “eating clean for Halloween”

Have a good weigh -in everyone xx

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Start โ€“ 145.5lb
    Week 1 โ€ฆ. 144.5 (-1lb)
    Week 2โ€ฆ..143.2 (-1.3lb)
    Week 3โ€ฆ .141.1 (-2.1lb)
    Final …… 140.3 (-0.8lb)

Total = – 5.2lb

Although I did get down to 139.9lb it jumped back up again for a disappointing loss this week. However, as long as the trajectory is down, I need to keep on keeping on. Thanks for the challenge folks and all the best for the weigh-ins today.

on

Got to my lowest weight ever during this challenge 135 lb but sadly at the final weigh in I am 138.6 which means a total loss of 0.2 lb overall! Rather disappointing. Moving over to the new challenge today and starting a new round of 8 weeks and pretending I am starting again for psychological reasons! See you on the other side everyone. Congratulations Mokovex, a great loss this month for you. Keep going Marsie, we are going to do this!

Well done to everybody who kept on keeping on.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

So, I didn’t lose the 10 pounds I wanted to, not even close, I remain outside my comfort zone at 11 stone 2.8 pounds, but will persevere and try to get a bit more back to basics over the next challenge. Failing that, my November plan for the challenge after next is coming together in my mind, and will involve an extended period logging food again and starting with a 5 day FMD, I will increase my calories at 50 calories extra a day from 800 all the way up to 2500 calories again, with no alcohol apart from one occasion which is already planned, in preparation for the Christmas season. There is good news, I still haven’t bulged out of any of my new clothes, so the actual fat component of the additional weight is not significant yet, and my loose skin continues to tighten, with my ‘bingo wings’ looking noticeably less when I wore an almost sleeveless dress at the awards dinner.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good morning everyone. And well done on sticking to the challenge.

My final weigh in this morning puts me at 8st 1lb (113lbs, 51.25kg), which is 3lbs down on the start, giving me 6lbs of wriggle room. The weight has fluctuated somewhat during the 4 weeks, been as low as 7st 13lbs, but not exceeded my target weight of 8st 7lbs, so very happy with that.as the month has incorporated a few big family celebrations.

Well done for just keeping on keeping on everyone and, whatever our personal goals, we’ve all been successful in achieving that. See you on Eating Clean.

• posted by soapbox
    on

Good morning all!

It is nice to read through all the final weigh-ins and to be motivated for the next challenge, which I shall also join.

This was a good month for me with a final loss of 12.5lbs. I did start on 1/9 though so had a couple of days head start on you all.

1/9 14 4.5
    8/9 13 12
    11/9 13 11
    12/9 13 10.5
    19/9 13 9
    26/9 13 7
    3/10 13 6

See you all on the new thread!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Everyone,
    Well, I’m really pleased with how this challenge has gone for me although it has had it’s up’s and downs. My target was to lose 6lbs over the 4 weeks. 3lbs to get under 12st and another 3lbs to shift from Obese down into Overweight category. The first target I hit early on, the second target…. I hit this morning – whoohoo! I’d not lost any weight since 13th Sept and today I’ve lost 1lb to reach my second target 11st 10lbs.
    Over the last 4 weeks I’ve plateaued, I’ve been constipated more than once, but I’ve also learnt how to eat to keep my blood sugars level while celebrating family birthdays (including my own) and how to manage eating out every night on holiday (missed last Tuesday because I was away on holiday). I’m really happy to know I can go on holiday with my family and still have a great time with only minor adjustments to stay BSD and manage my diabetes.
    Wishing everyone success on the next challenge – see you over there.
    Marie

on

Hi everyone, thank you all for joining me on this challenge. Some have had great success like Mokovex, soapbox, Theodora and mixnmatch and mariet. Well done all of you. Some of us have managed to maintain and some have had small gains – which is better than giving in and gaining loads. I have gained 1kg which I am not proud of but it could have been worse with all my visitors and too many meals out. I read somewhere that you are more likely to be overweight if you have overweight friends or family – you kind of allow yourself to eat as they do. That was a little bit of the case with my friends, I have never seen a loaf of bread go in one sitting or a whole baguette, hubby and I usually savour a couple of chunks and either freeze the rest (it doesn’t keep) or grind it up for breadcrumbs. No chance, it just vanished. I did manage to have some self control but 1kg is 1kg so that is my own fault, cannot blame others.

Moving over to the Halloween challenge now but I hope you all keep on keeping on…

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Good morning everyone: My weight loss for the challenge is -7.2 lbs. It was so good to know that I was not the only one who was self sabotaging myself.
    I was finally able to stop doing that during this 4 week challenge and broke a weight that I was not able to get under in a long time. I still have a lot to lose but know I will be able to do it now.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Well done to everyone, some great success!
    For me, my worst challenge yet and I’ve ended it exactly the same as I started, a fraction over 9st 5. Hey ho!
    Must search out the next challenge and try harder!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All.wow some really good results well done.the rest of us congradulations to be still here.I have a small loss , weight today 81.7kg down about .5kg.I have struggled with constipation and lack of excercise. My back has been giving a lot of grief.So Im hoping I can be a bit more on task for the next Challenge.good luck everyone.

• posted by CBada
    on

So I did the challenge as 5 days of under 800 & 2 days of eating normally. Start weight 89.6kg, lost pretty much a kilo a week and have finished bang on 85kg. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do much by way of exercise. Definitely going to keep going to get under 80 by the end of the year

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Can’t believe another challenge has finished! This year is flying by.
    It wasn’t the most successful challenge for me, but not the worst either. Overall I have lost 600g. I’m hoping I’ll do better in the next challenge as there are less social occasions for one!

Please log in or register to post a reply.