KEEP ON KEEPING ON… A New 4 week challenge to 3rd October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JackieM
    on

California Girl – what you said about your body being your friend now – YES! Starting to feel that completely.

I am almost giddy with potential, it’s a great feeling. I wonder if I’ve been numbing myself with carbs. Because I may be a bit much in this state of semi euphoria! Relentlessly upbeat.

Anyhow, scores on the doors.

Breakfast – no thanks (unless black coffee counts, which it had better not do)
    Lunch – 200g Greek yoghurt (it is Sunday!) 5 raspberries, 15g flaked almonds
    Dinner – roast chicken, no skin, 50g broccoli
    1 90% chocolate square (10g) was going to have 2 but feel bit sick. That stuff is really strong!

Just under 800 cos only 1 chocolate (and husband ate procscuitio – rude). 17g carbs.

End of first week of challenge, I think. See you at start of week 2!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

One more day to go to the end of the first week of the challenge, JackieM. We usually report in on Tuesday with the week’s results, as the challenges (not sure why) all begin on a Tuesday. Don’t let that deter you from letting us know how things are going though. It’s keeping up the posts, that helps to keep us all keeping on.

Great results for the day, by the way. I have had a couple of days not recording, but will be back to it tomorrow and for the rest of the time up to 24th of the month, when we go away.

Hope there will be lots of good results posted on Tuesday everyone.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Almost a week gone and fingers crossed in going to be able to post a loss tomorrow. I had an indulgent Friday night but was back on it over the weekend and so far so good.

I have a week off work this week preparing for my son’s wedding on Saturday. All the boys are getting ready here and the photographer will be here all morning so it’s a week of cleaning and tidying for me. I thought the house was ok until I heard that and started looking around me with more critical eyes. Now I’m fretting that I should have had the ceilings painted and maybe new curtains…

Daniel also dropped on me that we’re having 4 house guests the night before the wedding; all the crap from the living room had been dumped in one spare room so I’ll have to find somewhere invisible for that stuff as well. No problem! At least I should be busy enough that I won’t have time to pick at food.

Good luck all for tomorrow! Time I got off my butt and got stuck into it.

Mariet (aka distracted mother of the groom)

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    Mariet…what a wonderful occasion to be preparing for..to be honest it was the pics from my second son’s wedding that made me realise that this was so necessary!!

also a good week gone bar Friday night (wine)..and am now on day two of the prolon fasting modifying diet, so hopefully that will kick start further progress (apparently a lot of MMs work was based on that of professor Longo who developed prolon)
    will keep everyone posted! (missing my morning (soy)milky tea..otherwise all good)

I also had a huge wardrobe cleanout on the weekend and the plan is to bit by bit add to the box and rack of “too big” clothes
    some are good enough to sell and the others will go to the op-shop…I look forward to the pile increasing!!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning,

Miss grumpy pants here. Have had a 1lb gain over the last couple of days, which puts total loss this week at .5lb. I am being 100% compliant and so know that it CAN’T be fat as running at a huge caloric deficit. My waist measurement has jumped up 1″ too so I’m guessing this has to be water right? Does anyone who has been around the block a little longer have any insight or experience with this?

Jackie, I think it was you who mentioned kefir? Although I’m sure you have done lots of your own research, MM and team from ‘trust me I’m a doctor’ looked at it and have a neat little summary of their findings here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5YD3qzlNrQZtTqYzvwh3d40/can-i-alter-my-gut-bacteria-and-improve-my-health

Have a good day all

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Back up to 11 stone 3.0 after a standard weekend, although with only one ‘main’ meal a day so will do the three fast days this week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday were my traditional 4:3 days but I may try Thursday instead for the third, to give me two consecutive days. If my weight is still above 11 stone next Monday I will do the weekdays the following week, and if necessary a full 800 week the final week of the challenge, at least up to the dinner night. Still pleased with a 2.2 pounds loss, as it seems to be pretty genuine, as I think I have got some water retention back again after the weekend alcohol indulgence.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi there all

SunnyB – excellent news another day before new week, gives me a chance to get closer to first mini-goal. As of this morning only 0.5kg to go so achievable on current losses!

Mokovex- maybe grumpy pants weigh more than normal ones πŸ˜‰ Seriously, am sure just a blip, but do not know enough yet to explain it!

And SunnyB and Mokovex- thanks for kefir feedback. Have ordered a one off supply from Chuckling Goat, a Welsh company, who claim to be recommended by MM. first steps! But as they themselves suggest it’s an acquired taste (guess I can’t report them for false advertising!) SunnyB’s top tips re flavouring will come in useful. The lime is in the freezer waiting!

• posted by soapbox
    on

I weighed in this morning at 13 stones 11lbs

1/9 14 4.5
    8/9 13 12
    11/9 13 11

Making it 7.5lbs off so far!

I tend to be a bit of a slow loser after the first week or so but will keep on keeping on.

I bought the Tom Kerridge dopamine diet cookbook yesterday, which is full of low carb recipes. Will be trying out a few ideas from there over the next few weeks!

Good luck to everyone on your second week endeavors!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jackie – I personally found kefir made from goat milk much thinner and more acidic that when made with whole cow milk – definitely my preference.

Today the scales were very slightly up, but one day to go the weekly report in, so hoping it will drop back again by tomorrow morning. A non-scale victory noticed today, is when standing with feet together, being able to see daylight between the tops of my thighs – possibly for the first time ever!

Don’t panic about that gain Mokovex, it is most likely water retention. These blips are sent to try us and often, there is no clear reason for them happening. Just keep going, watch the carbs as well as the calories and it will come right. Our bodies are unique and sometimes behave in ways that surprise us by not complying with what we thing they should be doing. Secret is not to panic and to direct your energy into motivation to keep on track, rather than stressing about why a small gain has happened.

Mariet, hope your week goes well and you drop a bit more before your son’s big day. I’m sure keeping busy will help you steer clear of any unplanned eating. Have a wonderful time on Saturday.

Will look forward to everyone’s end of week one weigh-in results tomorrow.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I knew my weight would be up this morning but was shocked to see it up by 2lb. I will be strict again today and hope that I can lose that 2lb overnight and not have a gain tomorrow for the weekly weigh in. I had a glass of red wine on Friday night with my frittata and had the sponge pudding yesterday which has probably not helped things. Fingers crossed for a maintain tomorrow!!!!

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Thanks JackieM/SunnyB for pep talk. It is definitely a case of skewed perspective as hubby is consistently losing 1lb every 2/3 days. As he said to me yesterday, “but I’m a bloke, my hormones aren’t constantly fluctuating throughout the month”. It IS very helpful to be reminded about the uniqueness of our bodies (SunnyB) and I have realised that I look at his weightless as ‘normal’ ie. more by the book and therefore mine as flawed. I guess I have a lurking worry that I have broken my body with sugar and it can’t really be fixed. I am now going to try and have a different focus. To eat this way for long term health and see the losses on the scales as a bonus.

Have re looked at my stats and see that my body fat % seems to be slowly dropping, currently peeking over the wall at the top end of a healthy range, not there yet but Definitely a NSV!

SunnyB – Congratulations on the thigh gap,
    Soapbox – well done on a stonking loss
    EC – Wardrobe clearing, what a great idea, might steal that πŸ™‚
    Mariet – I hope you have a gorgeous day on Saturday and that you can enjoy the preparations of this week and not get too stressed.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Enforced fast today – son in hospital investigating whether he has appendicitis! He’s in mild discomfort not actual pain. Just settling in for long old wait though!

Now I am beginning to wish I had breakfast!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad you are looking at things a little more positively now, Mokovex. It must be tough watching your OH losing more quickly than you, but he’s absolutely right about this being normal – frustrating though that might be. And some of us – me included – lose more slowly than others, just because that’s how our bodies work. It drives you crazy sometimes, especially when you are reading about the large losses others are achieving, but we just have to learn to be patient, to accept it and to keep plugging away.

Well done on checking the bigger picture and recognising that you are making progress with falling body fat %. It really helps to have other goals than just the weight loss. So maybe look for other goals, like loss of inches (need to get measuring for this one) exercise goals are good too, as well as clothing size or you could even include getting to the next body fat percentage bracket. Setting min-goals along the way, really helps to keep motivation and focus on the up, as hitting those milestones gives a sense of achievement and helps to keep you moving forward.

JackieM – hope you son is okay and that you manage to survive the long hospital wait and lack of food. Hope all goes well for you both.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Good morning everyone! And it’s a lovely Spring morning here.

Mokovex, good on you for looking at the other aspects of losing weight. I agree, it’s discouraging to see others losing more rapidly when you are doing all the right things. Like Sunny I don’t lose rapidly but after seeing your post I checked my body fat on my you beaut scales and can report that after 28 weeks of BSD mine has dropped from a staggering 45% in February to 36.3 today. And I haven’t lost the large amounts of weight that others have. It’s still too much but I am welcoming the reappearance of my hips, ribs and shoulders ☺

One week into the challenge and 800g gone which is a huge drop for me in a week. Now 64.7 and the lowest weight I can remember. So on track for my goal by the end of the 4 weeks.

Jackie M, best wishes for your son. Of all things, waiting around in hospitals is one of the hardest. I hope he’s ok, and you too.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone,weigh in today 82.6Kg which is a miserable 0.2Kg .I had a really bad weekend ,ate carbs on saturday morning and didnt stop. Also ,when someone one mentioned cream in coffee , I got some to try and finished the whole 200gms in one day, cream with bread and jam, with blue berries, with milo,etc etc.gained a kilo in one day. So now I have lost it and I’m back on track .I got MMs book out to get motivated . Then, tried on my dress for my son’s wedding in 7 weeks. It fits but is snug so now I’m motivated . Next, to up the exercise and find some self control. there are no bad foods in the house and I’m trying for two meals a day .
    I’m so impressed with those who can fast.I’m not able to control my binges so I will leave it for a while.well done to all those getting success for the rest of us never give up,cheers Lynne

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

05/09/17 – 145.5lb
    Week 1 …. 144.5 (-1lb)
    Body fat ( – 2%)
    Food binges (zero !)

Only 1lb down but Miss grumpy pants is not in the house πŸ™‚ Thanks again for putting up with my whining over this last week, I think the negativity just built and built and yesterday reached crunch point where I either learned how to keep on keeping on or gave up. So happy to report that my head (currently) is in a good place. Today will be the halfway point for my first round of 8 wk BSD and although the scales are moving slowly, lots HAS changed. I have decided that my victories definitely have to be in the days that I choose something else other than food when I am feeling happy/sad/bored (insert emotion here). Am so thrilled that now I feel liberated to totally celebrate hubby’s successes rather than harbour this grudging envy. He continues to lose at a wonderfully steady rate and is now in the next stone bracket.

I think if I hadn’t jumped onto this challenge then probably my mood would have got the better of me and bye bye BSD, so thank you again for encouragement and perspective.

JackieM – I hope your son is doing ok?
    Mariet – That is a considerable amount of body fat you’ve lost -awesome! Think what that means for your long term health, huge
    Butterlover – Keep on going, think how that dress will feel when it fits you perfectly.

Have a good day all,

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

After an almost complete fast yesterday, still ongoing at the moment and I don’t plan to break it until after 10am which will be 36 hours, my weigh in this morning is back to 11 stone 0.2. While this is 5 pounds down from where I started, the variations this week suggest I obviously have the maintenance rather than weight loss habit at the moment, but I will see what another two 800 calories days this week do for my final target for this challenge. On the other hand I am feeling absolutely great this morning so will probably try to do a 36 hour like this every week after the challenge, with another 800 day only if required when I am back on plan. Yesterday I drank copious quantities of red bush tea, one cup of chai masala with single cream, one cup of marmite in hot water, mineral water and some tap water with zero sugar elderflower cordial, and the only thing solid to pass my lips was one teaspoon full of my favourite peanut butter with seeds in an attempt to stop my tummy rumbling before a meeting I had to go to.

Onwards and downwards everyone, and let’s keep on keeping on.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I’m not in the right frame of mind to weigh at the moment so theres no point pushing myself. But my clothes feel a little less tight so I’m hopefully headed in the right direction. Keep on keeping on

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi everyone,

I’ve lost 3lb this week. I’ve gone from 12st 1lb to 11st 12lb (169 to 166lbs) which means I’ve met my first mini-goal of this 4 week challenge to shift into the next stone down. Yeah. My next target is to lose another 2lb which will shift my BMI category from Obese into Overweight – admittedly I’ll be at the very top end of Overweight but still I’d be thrilled.

I started to diet last year before I was diagnosed as being diabetic. I was 14st 4lb (200lb) so had lost weight before starting BSD, but I am now at the end of week 5 of the 8 week BSD and have lost 15lbs since I started.

More importantly for me my blood glucose readings are coming down – from 7’s to 5’s and with the odd 4 appearing (my fasting blood glucose reading this morning was 4.8). My original HbA1c reading on diagnosis was very high – equivalent to a blood sugar reading of over 15 so to have consistent readings of 5 now is just amazing. I get a lot of support from reading in this forum and from people’s responses to my questions – it really is brilliant – thanks.

• posted by soapbox
    on

Thank you Mokovex – the loss hasn’t quite dealt with the holiday gain yet though!

Another half pound off to day so:

1/9 14 4.5
    8/9 13 12
    11/9 13 11
    12/9 13 10.5

JackyM – I hope your son is okay – poor boy!

Wishing everyone a kind weigh in and a good day ahead!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi all thanks for good wishes for son. They kept him in but are feeding him so they don’t think appendicitis. He himself is in fine form.

Had a small gain yesterday which I’m not bothered about but found interesting as it’s the first time since I started that I’ve gained rather than stayed static/lost. I fasted until 5pm then had 80g prosciutto and 100g Lederhammer cheese. Not ideal but all I could find in the hospital M&S that I could eat in the car as I went to collect daughter. Then about 8pm I had an M&S Greek salad. So, about 850 calories and about 10g carbs. Felt completely disgusting after all that cheese which is why I went for the lettuce later.

As an aside – M&S is a crap place to shop low carb. Even their turkey slices have sugar in or breadcrumbs and most salads had pasta in.

My observations about what might have caused the gain:

1) Not enough water – drank as much as I could but there were points when I was thirsty and water was not available.

2) Stress – obviously, even though he wasn’t in immediate danger at any point. It’s the only time since I started that I really wanted to cram my face mindlessly – but the only immediate packets of small face-cramming stuff were sweets (Percy Pig anyone?) or crisps, so I didn’t.

3) sat on my butt most of the day – apart from a very restful/stretchy Pilates class before hospital-gate kicked off.

4) not quite enough sleep over last week.

5) maybe fasting just doesn’t suit me!

Any other ideas?

Hope this is helpful for anyone who might have hit a weight loss wall to help figure out why. I have no doubt I will be losing again soon, I completely trust this woe.

Xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

This morning exactly 2lbs down this week at 9st 11.75lbs. So am very pleased with this. Life is beginning to get back to normal as husband is almost 6 weeks into recovery from his broken hip.

Well done to everyone for your weight loss this week. Marie123 great blood sugar readings.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

By some fluke I’ve ended the first week at the same weight I began so no loss to report. But I actually went up in the week… eek, that’s not right! No wonder because I’ve been stressed and not very focussed on what I’ve been putting in my mouth… too many extra bites of cheese and dark chocolate and bowls of creamy Greek yoghurt in lieu of making lunches.
    Plus I’ve been at the mercy of others for all meals this weekend but did ok with that.
    I do still feel as though I’m being awkward when I explain to people that I don’t eat bread, or cake etc! But I’d rather risk looking faddy than actually eat it to keep other people happy! It’s my body after all.

Off to France again tomorrow and going to be eating out a lot so hope to manage not to put any on!! 😳

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks KrysiaD
    I am still holding my breath about them but am thrilled. It’s true what everyone says, it does actually work.
    Marie

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wow, some really good results so far and even the not quite so good ones are hardly disastrous, so really well done everyone. So pleased your son is Okay, Jackie, and that it’s not appendicitis after all. It’s really time that hospital food outlets started offering healthy food options – or better still only healthy food. And great blood results Marie123, what a great motivator.

Pleased to report that I’m still maintaining. After a very over-indulgent week ( family staying all week for my daughter’s rather extended 40th birthday celebrations, followed by my birthday) resulting in a 4lb gain, I decided on, and needed, a 36 hour water only fast from 6pm on Saturday until Monday morning. But come Monday, I’d got into the groove and I didn’t feel the need to break fast, so went a full 49.5 hours on water only, apart from one cup of really strong black coffee for breakfast, just for the taste in my mouth really. Anyway pleased to report that it resulted in a 3.5lb loss so weighed in this morning at 8st 2.5lbs (114.5lb, 52kg) so have 4.5lbs wriggle room restored. PhewπŸ˜‰

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to read so many positive results being reported and as Theordora says, there doesn’t seem to be anyone reporting anything very negative. Really good going on the fasting and it’s result, Theodora. Good to see people recognising the non-scales benefits too – excellent blood results Marie123 and good news about the drop in body fat % Mokovex. That dress will soon fit beautifully and make you feel wonderful, Butterlover. Good to know your son is doing okay, JackieM and that gain is probably just water retention, upping hydration will most likely see it dealt with in the next couple of days. Those that have stayed static or seen a small gain – don’t panic and do your very best to stay on track and stick with it – use this as an opportunity to redouble your efforts and I’m confident you will be reporting good things this time next week.

I’m pleased to be able to report a lose of 1.4lb this week, leaving me 1.8lb to lose to give me 5lb wriggle room. As that is not a figure set in stone and I am already under target weight, I am going to increase calories slightly for the next four days and allow myself up to 25g carbs, but looking to still keep those held down, as I’m convinced it’s the carbs rather than the calories that cause the most damage to the reading on the scales. Want to see what raising levels will do to those readings though, as I need to look seriously as moving into maintenance now – something I’m feeling a little anxious about. I’m hoping that by making this small change, I can still drop that last 1.8lb in the next 12 days, but start to get used to having a few more calories. If the weight still falls, I’ll make another small increase after the four days. I gather others have also incrementally made increases in cals and carbs, when moving to maintenance, until weight loss has ceased.

Well done everyone, it’s wonderful to read all your reports and so much positivity, even when the results are not quite what was hoped for. So, keep on keeping on everyone and we’ll all be reporting good things next week.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Reporting a gain of 0.8 lb this week. It’s my usual up and down pattern but I was expecting a slight gain – it doesn’t take much for me to gain!! Am still cycling and went to a clubbercise class on Thursday and am still motivated to keep on keeping on. Hoping for a better result next week.

• posted by topcac
    on

Afternoon all – sorry I’ve been absent over the weekend – today is my one year anniversary of the BSD. So, during the last year I have:

Lost: as much as 29lbs, not as of today but…..
    Reached the dizzying depths of 8st 11lbs – a weight I had not seen since I was a teenager
    Reduced my BMI from 26 to 21.9
    Gone from a size 14 to a size 8/10

I write this all to console myself. I have lost 2lbs this week (YAY!) but at one point during the week that figure was nearly 4lbs (Boo!!).
    My weekend was a wash out and I can’t seem to stay on plan for more than 3/4 days at a time. My weekends are totally undermining this way of eating for me and it has to stop. As of today I am 11.5lbs heavier than my lightest weight this year. So I’m being realistic and making my goal 9 stone – 7.5lbs to go! I am away every weekend for the next 4, one weekend at home and then away every weekend for the 6 after that. Then its December! I know that it’s all down to me and what I put in my mouth and I know like I sound like a whinging bitch but when I say to colleagues and friends, ‘no thanks I’m watching my weight’ they see someone who weighs 9 and a half stone and think WTF. whinge whinge moan moan

Right – ENOUGH!!!!

I lost 2lbs this week – WOO HOO!! Bring it on – three weeks of the challenge to go – 7.5lbs to lose – the clock’s ticking!!

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a loss this week – however small and however you may feel about it – it takes amazing strength and fortitude to stick to this, to say ‘no thanks’ and to get on those scales and deal with any disappointments – you are all amazing!! To those who may have gained, this, too, shall pass. Grab some love and courage from the forum and go forth my friends.

BIG LOVE – (and sorry for the whinge)
    TC xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

SunnyB, sounds like a good plan to ease you into maintenance. I think you are more or less the same weight as me, (target 8st 7lbs) and looking for a similar amount of wriggle room (5lbs) (Sorry, can’t remember how tall you are? I’m 5’5″ on a good day, but o/h tells me I am shrinking with age so maybe nearer 5’4″ in reality!) Once I reached target, I increased my cals every 7 days by 100 a day, but kept carbs low (always under 30, more often 25) and I continued losing for approx. 4, maybe 5 weeks. That is where all my 5lbs wriggle room came from. Once I stopped losing, I knew I was on more or less the right level for maintenance. I still keep carbs low but no longer count calories on a daily basis, I just watch the scales or take into account how my body tells me it is feeling, and if I think I need to, I drop back to 800 for a day or two (or do a water only fast) and all comes right again very quickly. I think this will probably work for you too, and good luck with your maintenance journey.

CC, you must sometimes feel as though you are living in groundhog dayπŸ˜‰ 0.8lbs is nothing, and probably all water, so will be gone again tomorrow or the next day. Good to hear you are still cycling, I’m afraid I don’t do any exercise other than walking, but I do a lot of that (average 10 miles a day). Sorry, I have no idea what clubbercise is? Maybe I should google it, but it sounds like fun.

PS Oh, wow, CC – just googled it and it DOES sound like fun! When my life calms down a bit, I may have to look for a class.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

TC, as a lovely person on the forum told me once, ‘it’s not whinging, it’s venting and we’re all allowed to do that from time to time’. Vent away! Seems to me you’re being a bit hard on yourself though, a 2lb loss is not to be sniffed at. If you stick to the 800 and low carbs during the week, you might get away with being less strict at the w/e’s and still lose. You can definitely do this – as you have proved already – so accept any loss as a plus and keep right on keeping on.

CC, it’s a step in the right direction, regardless of the amount, inching you closer to your desired end goal. Keep with it and I’m sure there will be another good report from you next Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice, Theodora. I’m nervous about increasing the calories, as I’ve found in the past that this sees an increase on the scales, but I’m hoping my body might be more tolerant now, especially as I’ll be keeping control of the carbs. I’m shorter than you at a measly 5’1″, so every excess pound used to really show – strange isn’t it, I had to force myself to put that in past rather than present tense. Currently I believe I can afford to drop another pound or two, but I’m really happy that I’m already below target and if a further fall in weight doesn’t happen, I’ll try not to panic, although I have to say, it’s going to feel strange having to learn to loosen the reigns. Like you, I’m sure that I will be returning to the 800/20 from time to time, to make sure the pounds don’t creep up. Can you tell me what you do re: carbs these days, Theodora? Do you actively track them, or just follow the BSD principles and act when the scales show warning signs? It’s the carb things that is the scariest for me, so I’m keen to know how best to handle them in maintenance please.

• posted by Theodora
    on

SunnyB, as far as carbs are concerned, once I reached a level of cals where I was no longer losing weight, I continued to log everything (cals and carbs) for several weeks – I am now in week 19 of maintenance. But I found I got more and more confident the further into maintenance I got, and loosened up on logging either, except on my back to 800 days, when I still log every single thing which passes my lips. I stay off all refined carbs for, probably 95% of the time, only allowing myself a few chips very occasionally when eating out (particularly when I order my fave, moules frites) but I do have a glass of wine most days, which gives me an extra 7g – 8g of carbs a day. I suspect I am now averaging about 40g – 50g a day, which is a lot compared to the level I used (20) whilst losing so has given me quite a lot of leeway, but I know lots of people aim for 50g while doing 800.

To be honest, by the time one gets to maintenance we know what foods are carb-laden and, on the whole have lost the taste for them. I can fully understand your nerves and trepidation as I was exactly the same myself but, honestly, it is not as difficult as I feared once I had come to terms with loosening the reins a bit. And, frankly, if I have managed to maintain given the entertaining challenges I have faced for the past 3 months with Hotel Theodora, then it really is doable – we have the tools to fall back on should things go awry, and I believe that the secret is to deal with any small gain immediately, which I know you will do. Good luck, you can do it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Theodora, for your thoughts on maintenance. May I join your thread?
    I’ve lost 144 lbs on this fantastic way of eating. I’m 18.6 lbs. inside a healthy BMI,
    at 22.04, and 9 lbs under goal. I’ve been trying my hand at maintenance, but seem
    to have an irrational fear of carbs, so the weight continues to fall off. I will be paying
    close attention to how you and SunnyB approach this. Any advice will be gratefully
    appreciated! Thanks,

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for all that info, Theodora, it all makes perfect sense. Having the wisdom of someone who has made the move into maintenance and is successfully maintaining is a real bonus and you’re right, if you can do it while full on entertaining for weeks on end, I should be able to maintain too. Think deep down I know it’s definitely doable and within my capabilities, it’s just having the confidence to make that shift and know that I still have control. You are right of course, about tackling any small increase quickly and yes we do definitely have the tools to be able to do this when it becomes necessary.

I am moving to 900 cals and 25g carbs from today – I think – and will see what the result is next Tuesday. What I’m struggling with a bit, is knowing what an extra 10 cals and 5 carbs look like, but I know I’ll get there. Ideally, I still what some decrease in weight this time next week, as I’d like the comfort of having a little more wriggle room, especially as we go away on 24th Sept and will be away for a month. Anyway, will keep you posted on progress and thanks again for all the advice, Theodora.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Allie and Sunny, you are both very welcome. I am not, of course, an expert so have only told you what has worked (and is still working) for me.

Sunny, just go away with your wriggle room, have a wonderful time, allowing for the odd indulgence, but stick within BSD principles as much as possible. When you come home, if necessary just jump back on the wagon for a few days, or do a total water only fast if you can, and any gain will disappear before you know it. Have a great holiday – where are you going?

Allie, if the weight is continuing to fall off, you could just choose something you really enjoy as a treat each day to bump your carbs – like I have done with my glass of wine (occasionally 2). I know how many carbs it contains, and I drink it very mindfully and thoroughly enjoy the indulgence.

Good luck to you both – you really can do this.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

1st week update from me and pleased to report a 900g loss, which is a smidgen under 2lb (1.98 to be exact). Very good for me (as I’m a slow loser!) and hopefully this will continue over the coming weeks. I’m a long way off my birthday goal (goal set in jan 2017 and birthday is in 2 weeks), but still lighter than I have been for a good 6 years at least πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I managed 39 hours on my slightly cheating mostly fluids fast, with no more food than I mentioned yesterday other than a cup of tea with milk this morning and a black coffee. Broke my fast with a banana though at about one o’clock . Had quiche for tea after badminton tonight unusually, rather than my shake but it was essentially my only meal of the day as at lunch I only followed the banana with some fresh plums and Greek yoghurt and a tin of tuna at about four o’clock. Apart from that I have mostly been quite restrained (Well, there was a brioche with chocolate chips from the staff room at work, but it was only a little one πŸ˜•) and tomorrow and Thursday I am thinking of doing back to back fasting mimicking days, the same plan as my 5 day special, but only those two days, and logging again to make sure I keep control. I am really determined to be back in the 10’s by next weigh in day.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Still static but not feeling bad because I haven’t cheated. Did have prolonged dream about my husband being on British Bake Off and master baker for bread so I ate some bread. But unless I go downstairs and find bread bin empty that was just a dream.

So, new mini goal. Make the scales go down, in any way shape or form and back to original goal of 68kg (only 0.8kg to go and three weeks, so SURELY that’s achievable!)

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning All,

binges (zero πŸ™‚ )

No shift on the weight again today, My period is due in a few days so I guess that is why I am retaining a ton of water. Still feeling positive though. Think I may have lost a couple of cm off of my waist so plenty to be positive about. Hubby and I are exactly half way through our 8 weeks and he has lost 22lb and me 10lb. Am planning to continue with the 800 daily cals until the 8 weeks are up and then see where I am at. I am tempted to fling in some extended fasting as it obviously helps a number of people here but I have decided that for long term benefit and sustainability I really need to be happy with just eating well even if it doesn’t show on the scales. I am cataloguing all of your different approaches for when I need to review mine but well done all on keeping on keeping on.

Go well.

• posted by JackieM
    on

First Kefir drunk. Fine, but goaty. Glad for lime!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

10 stone 13.8 today, two fast days, one of them with double badminton, left, before a hopefully careful weekend. I might just do this for next week’s weigh-in. Planning what to eat to day, I will have a salad at work with some chicken at lunchtime, I think, and a bulletproof coffee before badminton, with my protein shake between sessions and after the second one. Maybe some more Greek yoghurt and plums at lunchtime if I have calories left as that was delicious yesterday.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Mokovex, that’s a really good attitude to have, so well done. Just keep drinking the water.

Jackie, that is not only achievable, I have every confidence that you WILL achieve it. Loving your dream – did you enjoy the bread? And does your husband actually bake in real life? Mine doesn’t even know what the inside of a kitchen looks likeπŸ˜‰

Glad your fasting’s been going well MnM. After my 49.5 hour water only fast, I broke fast with dinner and a glass of wine on Monday evening, recorded another loss yesterday morning, ate normally yesterday (no refined carbs, but a rather large glass of wine with dinner, but no calorie or carb counting) and got up this morning to another 1.4lb loss. That means that a 49.5 hour fast has resulted in a 4.9lb loss!! Amazing – if I’ve calculated correctly, that’s 0.1lb loss for every hour of fasting. 😨 I did read in my research that the effects of fasting can continue for a while after resuming eating, but it’s never happened to me before. Mind you, I’ve never fasted for quite so long before. πŸ˜‰ I’m feeling it’s a great weapon to have in my maintenance arsenal. πŸ˜† And I’m feeling great, very energised.

I am now at my lowest weight since starting – 8st 1.1lbs (113.1lbs, 51.25kg) so have very nearly 6lbs wriggle room. Result! πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wow, Theodora – just wow! I’m very encouraged by your results, thanks for sharing
    them! I wonder if you could tell me how you went about the fasting process when
    you first began? Managing the hunger? Your thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
    Congratulations!

Allie

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello everyone, well done all for weigh in day yesterday.

I didn’t weigh in. Simply not in the right place just now. I’ll be reading and cheering you on but won’t report my weight until next Tuesday.

Go well xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry your struggling a bit, Marsie. Hope you will soon be feeling more positive again and will come back to us properly with some good results.

And right back at you with the … Go well xx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Wow Theodora — 49 hours fasting is incredible — I have worked my way up to 24 and I think that is a lot already!!! Alliecat– I saw your question about how to fast — I started just by skipping breakfast and lunch, then eating a really early dinner — I was getting about 18 hours but I finally pushed through to 24 by staying busy and drinking water/tea/coffee and now 24 seems “doable”.
    The hunger just passes if you ignore it and the only thing I didn’t like was I felt kind of dull or “stupid” by hour 18. That feeling has gone away more or less as I have continued — like all things BSD, I think we LEARN how to do this. And ha ha, I’m a thick learner!!
    That’s why I always tell people to just keep on it, no matter how badly they start, because we can all learn how to do the BSD, given enough time.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, Californiagirl, for breaking this concept down to 24 hr. segments. The health
    benefits are amazing! I’m inspired by both you and Theodora, and I’m just going to keep
    a positive attitude and see how far I get. The maintenance phase is a bit tricky, so I
    truly appreciate your experience. Thanks so much!

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marsie – I think that is a good plan. I did the same over August because I was just not in a good place. I also carried on reading the posts – which was so helpful.

Today I took delivery of a Rohan wind and waterproof winter jacket which was on special offer at half price. I took a chance and ordered the small size. It is actually quite roomy – which is quite a surprise. Plenty of room to add a warm fleece underneath and a thick jumper. My current winter waterproof jacket – which has room for at least 6 fleeces underneath – has now been relegated to dog walking.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Allie, as Californiagirl has said, I think the trick is to not necessarily set out to do a long fast. I only tend to eat twice a day anyway so was practising 16:8. So I just skipped breakfast so by the time I got to dinner, I had already managed 24 hours. That was how I started.

Moving on from that, I decided to go for 36 hours, all I had to do was skip dinner too. This was my biggest temptation time, not because I was hungry, but more because I wanted something in my mouth. I decided I needed to differentiate between real hunger and mouth hunger. Mostly what we feel is mouth hunger, so I kept busy and powered on through the evening, keeping busy, and then went to bed early. By the next morning, I had done 36 hours, which was what I’d set out to do. But, you know what? I didn’t feel in the slightest bit hungry. So no breakfast for the 2nd day running. The less you eat, it seems the less you want to eat, and by dinner time I could easily have skipped that meal too. But o/h was back from his travels and wanted us to share a bottle and have supper together, so I complied. And enjoyed it too, after a 49.5 hour fast.

Anyway, this was my experience. I hope it helps, but I think the secret is
    1) to recognise the difference between real hunger and mouth hunger, and
    2) not to be over ambitious to start with, just plan on skipping one meal and see how it goes. Let’s be honest, if you attempt a 36 hour fast, you can spend half that time in bed, so not too difficult πŸ˜‰

Again, I am no expert and can only tell you of my experience. I hope it helps – it is really not that difficult once you get your head around it, and I feel great O/h, who is not one for compliments, told me today that I look fantastic. πŸ˜ƒ Enough saidπŸ˜ƒ

PS If fasting rids me of all those dead/damaged cells AND makes me feel good, what’s not to like? 😜

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Yes!! Sleeping through hours of fasting is good in so many ways LOL!!😜

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

It’s my birthday tomorrow!

Been a bit awol- been up and down like you topcac- theee says fine one day Cathy- I am currently full to stuffed with a carb loaded dinner – this is not good.

I want to recommit to keeping the carbs out and intend to fast for next 36 hours to restor the balance again!

Jackie I bought some kefir grains to make your own at home and made a delicious one with coconut milk. Might be worth a try?

Well done on all these losses an inspiration to get me on the straight and narrow. I am 72.4 a little over my lowest weight and want to get down to 68.5 by the end of the challenge. Focus one to watch, focus!

Please log in or register to post a reply.