Just starting the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Julie58
    on

Have spent the weekend stocking up the freezer with one portion meals from the book and am starting the BSD tomorrow. Am borderline pre-type 2 and, having just turned 60, want a healthier lifestyle. Weigh in tomorrow so watch this space in a week’s time. Hope to see progress. Doctor wants me to take another blood test in 3 months and I hope to have made a positive change to my results.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Welcome Julie58 and wow I like your organisation, well done! We are a very friendly group who pass no judgements and have different people who have been on the plan for a short time and a long time, plus people who are in maintenance and have been for ages. We are not all T2 but we are all after the same thing and that is to get into a healthy Way of Eating for life. We love sharing our ups as well as ours downs and everyone supports everyone here. You have made the right choice in joining and we look forward to your posts. There are lots of different threads so don’t be shy and jump on in, I wish you luck in world on your journey. 💞🦜

• posted by Julie58
    on

Thank you. Will keep in touch.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Julie!

This diet really works, I promise. The first week you may get a few unpleasant side effects, such as headaches or feeling tired, as your body adjusts to the new way of eating (WOE), but these don’t affect everyone and don’t last long. Drinking plenty of plain water helps.

After the first week or so it gets easier – unlike many other diests where it gets increasingly harder. Three months from now there’s an excellent chance of you seriously impressing your doctor. And yourself.

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome Julie58. And congratulations on all the forward planning. A blood test in 3 months is a really good target to see improvements in your health. You might also think about taking lots of starting measurements, so that you can see how quickly this healthy way of eating can make a difference.

I think we are of the same vintage(!), and I can assure you that this way of eating is a life-changer. I have been in my healthy BMI range now for 14 months, having discarded 3 stone. I came here via Atkins, Slimming World, WeightWatchers (3 serious times I think), and feel finally that I have the right track – albeit with the occasional wobble! There is loads of advice and support on this website. In particular, you might like to join in on the ONE WEEK AT A TIME 23 April thread – which has a mixture of newcomers and maintainers. Wishing you every success.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Julie
    This is a really good way of eating to push back your blood sugar levels. Mine were very high when I started BSD (on Type II diagnosis) and I got my levels back down into the normal range within four months. That’s not unusual on here. Your blood sugar levels are affected by reducing your carbs as much as your cals (possibly more so) so just keep these under control.

Best wishes
    Jennie xx

• posted by Julie58
    on

Thank you for your encouragement. Not used an on line chat forum before so hope it keeps me motivated. So far so good on day 1.

• posted by Julie58
    on

Yes, we are a good vintage. Would you mind letting me know how your weight loss progressed. Was it a steady couple of pounds each week?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Julie The weight loss was pretty steady over the whole 5 months – a kg a week. I started more slowly than most, by cutting carbs and doing 5:2 at the beginning. When the weight loss slowed up, I went onto FAST800 and cut back carbs to under 50g for the last three months. You will see from posts here that everyone’s journey is rather different, so I would recommend not getting too hung up on making comparisons!

I know a lot has to do with mindset, but I have to say this was the easiest diet I have ever followed in that the cravings for sugary stuff vanished pretty quickly, and I hardly ever felt hungry. Once you are over the first week, which can be a bit headachy (keep up water and take a pinch of salt now and then), it was surprisingly easy. Maintaining is more of a challenge, just in case I am sounding smug. This is a way of life rather than a short-term diet fix. So I lurk here to keep learning from the rest of this community!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Julie,
    I wasn’t sure who you wanted to reply to your question about rate of weight loss, but thought I would share my experience. – I came across the BSD book while researching diet to help me recover from a 7 week stint of strong antibiotics. – My weight loss was rapid initially, that happens to a lot of people who have been eating a high carb diet for a long time we have a lot of fluid stored which our body releases as we cut out carbs.
    Once that initial phase is over then my weight loss went in steps. Use the search facility on this website to look for whoosh effect. – You body doesn’t use the fat out of a single cell at a time, it uses a little fat out of a number of cells and replaces the fat with water, which it keeps on repeating until all the fat is used up when it releases the water and the cell collapses.
    I started on this Way of Eating in October 2017. – I have been down 43kg, just recently I have gained slightly, but have also dropped another dress size, so I am not concerned. I still have another couple of dress sizes that I want to drop.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Julie I lost really quickly in the first week and a half, over a stone! I am now going into my fourth week and I have stayed the same weight as I was in at the end of my second week, so up until now I have lost a stone and a half but I haven’t moved from there. Not up or down, although according to the scales Sunday I had gained a pound but it has gone again🤣 It is weird but clothes are fitting better and better each week! Just today I put a top on for work and before I started this WOE I would not have warn it as it was really tight on my upper arms and didn’t cover my spare tyre, today it was not tight on my arms and covered my belly. I am aiming for 20g of carbs per day but I don’t worry if I go above that as long as I don’t go beyond 50g. Most days I am under 20g, but that is not intentional. Like Caroni said don’t get to worried about other people’s discards as you can see we are all experiencing very different results. I am terrible at keeping my protein low! I do manage it most days but I love me some meat and I do go over my 60g😱. C’est la vie. I will get there and so will you. 💞🦜

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Hi everyone.
    New to this so hope I’m posting in the right bit ! I’m looking for support and encouragement and to share stories with others starting out. I’m several stones overweight ( 8/9 eek!) and am looking for a diet that is going to give me quick results and keep me motivated. I am completely realistic about the long road ahead, but am sick of feeling so uncomfortably big and the trials of being a big girl. I’ve had my bloods done and all is fine, however I know that I am seriously unhealthy and am storing up problems for the future. I am particularly interested in hearing about those who have followed this long term to lose a large amount of weight ?
    The thing that interests me about this plan is being able to help kick a big addiction to sugar . So i’m starting tomorrow-just off to do a good food shop so I’m all prepped . I’ve heard that the first few days are tough, but I’m determined to stick to it. Good luck to anyone else starting out on the journey too !

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello Goose, welcome – we are quite an aviary here with a Birdy, a Duckie, me Turkeys and we used to have a Budgie, and an Owl, who I hope are just temporarily absent! You will find people who are years in (maintaining), just started, started early in the year, or are re-starting. Allie and Esnecca in particular are long-term maintainers, having discarded I think I’m right 340 lbs between them and who offer invaluable support and guidance! Hopefully, the results will be motivating enough but if not this forum is very lively and quick to offer support! One thing, make sure you measure yourself all over as the inches can go without any corresponding showing on scales. In forum parlance “NSVs” – non-scale victories! And lots of water – it’s surprising how difficult it can be some days to remember to get the full 2-3 litres down! This has been an eye-opening experience for so many of us, who have previously followed “diets” that just don’t work short or long-term! I am sure you will get other responses very soon! Best wishes.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome WELCOME PlumpGoose! You are in the right place to transform your life forever. I have a special
    place in my heart for ladies with lots to lose, because 3 years ago I walked in your shoes, and I understand
    exactly how you are feeling. Essie (Esnecca) does too! We have reclaimed our lives, and we know that you
    can do the same. We are more than willing to share our journey with you, so voice any and all questions and
    concerns that you might have. Joining one of the very active threads, i.e., ONE WEEK AT A TIME. is a great
    place to start, for you will fast become acquainted with others at all stages of the journey. This a generous,
    non judgemental community, and possibly very unlike any groups you may have seen on social media.
    I relentless recommend Gary Taubes book. “Why We Get Fat…and What To Do About It” as a gateway to a
    full understanding of insulin resistance, and the now discredited mantra of “calories in, calories out”. The
    type of calories is the secret to long term success 🙂 This is an adventure in healthy eating, and not a
    deprivation “diet”. It’s a lifestyle, and you will find a great community of passionate advocates here to cheer
    you along every step of the way. I look forward to seeing you out and about, and you can be assured of a
    warm welcome on any threads you wish to join. BEST!

Allie

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Thanks so much for your lovely reply-I can see I am in a good place to get advice from those in the know ! I suppose it’s natural to feel some trepidation at embarking on this journey. I have been overweight for so long and have just kind of accepted that that’s me. I guess something has just snapped inside, the achy bones, feeling hot and sweaty a lot of the time, and that horrible feeling of being judged. I have lost count of the times I have started diets, sometimes independently, and sometimes through classes-and I still find myself fat and miserable ! Anyway enough of that negativity, I am feeling positive and hope that a new me of feeling lighter and healthier isn’t too far away.
    Thanks Allie and Turkey for your warm welcome !

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Plumpgoose! I am loving the handle😝. Like turkey said we are getting a right old Avery on here🤣. I would like to third what has already been said to you, we are here to cheer each other on and help in anyway we can. So a warm welcome to you plumpgoose. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Plumpgoose, so many of us have been there and know exactly what you’re talking about. My bloods were on the higher range of normal even when I weighed more than 320+ lbs at 5’2″. It was my insulin levels that were sky-high, and diabetes was only a matter of time, meanwhile the insulin itself made it impossible for me to lose weight because its job is to store fat. I never really dieted, just get putting on weight steadily for years as I followed the usual advice about low fat foods and whole grains. Like you, I could barely walk a block, my knees ached, I never got a decent’s night’s sleep, I was uncomfortable sitting, standing, walking, peeing, you name it.

When I finally decided to stop living this way, the first thing I did was cut all carbs, whole grain or not. No bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, sugar. I lost about 20 pounds that way (judging solely on fit of clothes; I hadn’t weighed myself in years) then stalled. In August of 2016, I bought the Blood Sugar Diet and decided to give it a try. I knew within days that this was the solution I’d been looking for. I got on the BSD bus and kept going until I reached my goal. I weighed myself for the first time the last week in August and I weighed 297 lbs. I reached my goal of 130 lb a year later. In November 2017 I reached the secret ultra dream goal of 120 lb, my high school weight. I did the 800 calorie ultra-low carb diet the entire time. No breaks.

As far as exercise goes, I started with the easiest stuff I could find, a 10-minute chair aerobics routine for seniors with mobility issues. (I was 44 at the time, but so obese that I might as well have been 80 and in a wheelchair.) I added a very brief walk around the block. It took me 20 minutes because I had to stop twice along the route to catch my breath. As I felt better, the walks got longer and I developed an hour-long resistance band routine to strengthen my muscles without causing injuries.

So yeah, girl, this is it. I was a barely functional wreck and now I’m fit as a cricket. Here’s how I armed myself. Get a kitchen scale. Put it on the counter. Keep it there. Weigh ingredients and calculate their calorie and carb content using an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret. Decide what your maximum level of daily carb grams should be. Mine is 20 grams, which is very low, but it is the best way to ensure my insulin levels never spike and better safe than sorry. Other people aim for 50 grams or lower as this seems to be a common sweet spot to put you in fat-burning mode. Pick the number of meals you’ll eat a day. I skip breakfast because I’ve never cared to eat when I first wake up, and it’s a lot nicer to have 800 cals to play with divided over two than three. Establish an evening cutoff time, the earlier the better. No later than 8PM would be my advice.

Are you a home cook or do you usually buy prepared food? What kinds of foods are currently in your routine? Do you have any food allergies? Use what you’re accustomed to as a jumping off point and just cut the carbs out them.

Welcome to the journey of a lifetime, Plumpgoose. The trophy at the end of it is health and happiness that will obliterate all those years of pain and self-loathing. The terrible things you think about yourself are not true. Your body is stuck in an insulin overproduction cycle that nobody ever told you about, is all. You are going to extricate yourself from it and look in wonder at the person you always were but never knew.

• posted by caronl
    on

Esnecca, I know this post is for plumpgoose, but I wanted to say that this is a beautiful, personal commentary. Your posts have helped me a lot over the last 18 months, and this one is right up there. What a shame that we can’t make this “stick” at the top of the welcome BSD thread. Or maybe we should have a thread for star posts? I just hope this doesn’t just vanish down the page!

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

I knew that I would get some good advice on here, but I can’t thank you enough for such a comprehensive and thoroughly helpful post. It’s uncanny how your experience prior to starting the plan is similar to mine and I really appreciate your comments regarding the emotional side of how we view ourselves. I can honestly say that my weight occupies such a large proportion of my head space, and you would think that logically it would be easy to fix something that causes such anguish-if only it was the case. I’m grateful for yours and other’s posts regarding the science behind the weight issue, it feels like I may finally be moving in the right direction. You’re encouragement and the time taken to post in such detail is really appreciated.

• posted by Darwingirl
    on

Hi All
    I was just told a week ago I have type 2 and I have to say it was a heck of a shock. I am reasonably fit (run 5km 5 days per week) but I do feel my BMI is too high at 28 so clearly I could loose a few pounds. I always felt like I ate really well but I guess its those hidden things we don’t think about (things like BBQ sause and kidding yourself that a few biscuits/cheese with wine can’t hurt you!! OOPS) Well I have to face it that my “healthy diet” needs a shake up. At any rate I have read the books and am armed with the right information – now I just need to do it and keep motivated.
    Having recently experienced a bad relationship breakup after 30 years I need to work on getting my stress levels down as the cortisol isn’t doing me any favours either. The mindfulness will help. But I am very bouyed by the stories and the great banter that I read on these forums. I made my mind up as soon as I walked out of the Dr surgery that I was going to do something about this so here I am.
    I started the diet yesterday – so day two is going well so far. Thank you in advance for your support.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Darwingirl, you are in the right place for getting the diabetes T2 under control.
    We are a supportive group of people who are nonjudgmental and like a bit of banter, as you noticed.

The shock of the diagnosis is something that I have been through too. That was in January and since I started this woe (Way of Eating) the blood sugar response has dropped, which brought my hba1c down to normal range.

Are you on medication? This would affect how the diet can be used. For instance once you reduce carbs, your meds may put you into a risky low blood sugar state.

• posted by Darwingirl
    on

Hi Patricia
    Thank u for responding. No my dr has agreed to let me give this a go for 3 months to see where I land / but I am absolutely determined to not go on medication.
    I only started the diet just under a week ago and have been able to shift a few kegs so far. I know much of it is fluid but my clothes are already looser.
    I was 81.9 when my dr told me – I’m now 78.6 so I can see it definitely works as I haven’t increased my exercise as I was already doing 5km per day (am focussing on jogging it now – whereas before it was just fast walking and a bit of a jog)
    My bloods seem to be going down – so here’s hoping. Thank you again – support is so very encouraging – especially from people who know the journey. Regards

• posted by YorkshirePippin
    on

How inspiring this all is…. what generosity in sharing….. I’m new to online forums too…. Our first week too… Fridge full of wonderful things & 2 week plan of meals stuck to the front… Looking forward to trying lots of new recipes, losing weight and generally being healthier….Also, our doctor has given us 4 months to get hubby’s (previously well controlled) Type 2 back under control, otherwise he’ll have to go on medication… Like others I’ve struggled, and tried every diet for years…. but this feels different – loving full fat yoghurt for example, and I so agree with the book, that losing weight slowly is absolute agony & doesn’t encourage you to continue… especially if there’s a fair bit to lose, which I have…. Also, am happy with the idea of trusting the tape measure and fit of clothes, and not always the number on the scales…
    (BTW, My Dad has completely reversed his Type 2, and no longer on medication – so I’ve seen the benefits first hand)….

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Yorkshire this is what our forum is all about, support, guidance, camaraderie and without any judgments what so ever. It truly is a remarkable place to be. 💞🦜

• posted by Julie58
    on

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to start the diet when I wanted to because I was on steroids for a bad chest infection caught in India. However, the freezer is still full of meals.so I started this week on Monday and weighed in at a whopping 14st 1 and a quarter pounds which for 5’ 2” is rather heavy. Have stuck to the diet and this morning weighed in at 13st 9lb. Hoorah!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Julie
    It’s really nice to hear from you. Wow, that is great going. It’s lovely isn’t it because that’s already a big chunk off what you want to lose. It’s so motivating! I’m dashing off at the minute but would love to hear how you go, so keep posting. Also, join in any of the other threads that take your fancy.
    Have a great weekend
    Jennie xx

• posted by Julie58
    on

Thank you Jennie. Appreciate that I am 3 months later starting than I should be. The problem I’ll have is when I return to school in September. We have such delicious food on offer at lunchtime but unfortunately it doesn’t come with a calorie or carb count and, whilst it is easy to make sensible choices where you can, there’s still that nagging doubt that there are a few hidden naughty bits in the food. But, having stocked up the freezer with soups (I should have bought shares in Sistema soup cups), I’m sure I will stay on the straight and narrow.

• posted by Julie58
    on

I’ve been adding vegetables to each of my meals, usually cauliflower rice, broccoli or spinach. Should I be taking account of these in my calorie count? I appreciate they have a minimal calorie count but I try to serve my meals with the suggestion shown on the recipe book picture. Would appreciate any guidance. Thank you.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’ve chosen some powerhouse vegetables, Julie! Cruciferous vegetables and the dark, leafy ones are particularly
    high in vitamins and minerals. You do need to add them into your calories count, though. Unlike SW or WW, there
    are no “free” foods. 🙂

• posted by Julie58
    on

Thank you. Perhaps I should limit my vegetables to those meals I see as smaller portioned and less filling. There are some recipes on the diet where the portions are substantial but others seem rather small. Either that, or add vegetables to the lower calorie meals.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Julie, the veg you are choosing are not going to add a lot of calories and they are good for you so no need to skimp.

• posted by Julie58
    on

Thank you. I’ll just keep rough notes and try to average calories over each week. I probably burn off the caloric value of the veg by walking to the fridge and prepping them!,

• posted by alliecat
    on

You have a sense of humor, Julie! I agree with SG, of course. I’ve been practicing this way of life for 3 years, and
    my dinner plate includes 1 12c. of above ground vegetables, and about 4 oz. of lean protein, @ the size of a deck
    of cards. Wishing you all the best 🙂 Update us on how you are doing!

Allie

• posted by Julie58
    on

Dear Allie, hope you don’t mind me asking but did you start this diet because of a type 2 diagnosis or was it simply to feel healthier and lose weight.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Julie, I don’t mind in the least 🙂 I was never diagnosed with T2D, and that’s a miracle because I was 10 stone over
    weight when I began. I was probably spared only because there is no diabetes in my family history. I learned through
    much online reading that I was insulin resistant though. During 10 months of weight loss, I accepted this reality
    and pulled my carbs down to <20g/per day, and that allowed me to lose a stone a month. I’ve been in maintenance for
    28 months now, and I still must watch the carbs, and 35g per day seems to be my “sweet spot”. It’s different for
    each one of us. I hope that you are seeing the results that you hoped for, too! All of us “old timers” are delighted to
    share our experiences, tips and tricks, and no question is intrusive. That’s why we are here! Please stay in touch,
    and we will get you over the finish line 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Julie58
    on

Dear Allie

Thanks. I know all too well about diabetes. My mum nearly died with undiagnosed type 1 when I was about 7. My great grandmother died when I was two. She had type 1 and accidentally stood on a nail but didn’t realise because her feet were numb. I’m lucky that I have the chance to reverse this if I behave. Something I have always found tricky! By losing a bit of weight I hope to put this on hold and it is a way of life thereafter. I will be booking a blood test at the beginning of October and hope that my results are ok. This diagnosis has given me that proverbial kick up the bum I needed. My bum has only just stopped wobbling!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Your chances are excellent, Julie! There are many in the community that have accomplished remission, too.
    Understanding that this a lifestyle change and not just a rapid weight loss “diet” will deliver you to a very good
    place, indeed. Sincere good wishes that your hba1c results in October will show fantastic results! I’m in your
    corner, so let me know about your progress…We like to celebrate here

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Julie – hope you’re going well this week xx

• posted by Julie58
    on

All good thanks Jennie. Don’t feel as hungry as I did in the first week and no cravings for sweet stuff. Bread, butter and marmite iare my real weaknesses but have steered clear of those too. How are you getting on?

• posted by Julie58
    on

It will be 4 weeks on Monday 26th August. The freezer is still well stocked with good home made food and, although my weigh in is on Monday, I could not resist stepping on the scales today. I have just cracked the first stone. Hurrah! There are some favourite recipes that I stick to, and which freeze well, but I would love to see a second BSD book on the shelf. I’ve looked at many cookery books and have a shelf full of books from famous chefs but rarely do you see a carb and calorie count in them. Can we have another book please or can anyone recommend one.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Julie
    I too have lots of cookery books but the ones I would recommend are Jamie Oliver’s 5 ingrédients. He gives carb and calorie info for all his recipes which are tasty and adapatable if too carb heavy. Also the http://www.dietdoctor.com website has oodles of low carb recipes.

I haven’t used many of the BSD book recipes.
    I hope this helps you
    Wendy

Please log in or register to post a reply.