Just starting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by DonCato
    on

Hi all,
    I have just started the 800 cals a day diet (BSD) this week. 2 days so far and all okay. Just wanted to say hi and see how others are doing. Anyone starting this for the first time like me? Good luck all! 🙂

• posted by DonCato
    on

Day 4 and going strong. Breakfast is yogurt, some blueberries, raspberries and nuts. Plus a cuppa tea with soya milk. Just taking it one day at a time. Also my fitness Pal is really useful. Good luck all! 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi DonCato! Welcome to the forum — it sounds like you have a great start. Any questions just shout out and someone will answer. Where are you located? How did you hear about the BSD?
    Other good ideas for breakfast is anything with eggs, protein like (homemade) sausage and veggies — and, if you are inclined, you can switch out that soya milk for a tiny bit of heavy cream in your coffee (oops, tea!!)

• posted by DonCato
    on

Hi Californiagirl!
    Thanks! It’s tricky tonight as mum has a cheesecake in the fridge :S. But I will resist. I’m from the UK and heard about the BSD via the other 5:2 diet website. I thought I needed something to kick start me back into shape and get healthy. Ohhh cream in my tea! How luxurious. Thanks for the tip ;). How are you getting on?

on

Hi DC, Sorry it took me so long to reply — it is hard to follow all the postings on work days. I hope your cheesecake temptation wasn’t overwhelming — can you ask your mum to keep that kind of food out of the house for a while? I literally have to get rid of anything non-BSD-friendly to avoid temptation. If I have it in the house, I will eat it — I always joke that old joke, “I’m on a seafood diet, I see food, I eat food”…
    So I am almost at three years since starting the BSD and I reached goal over two years ago, losing about 50 pounds. I have maintained since with low carb eating (I’m still about 30 grams carbs per day – a bit more on exercise days) and some fasting. I’m sporty and love to be moving but I can’t seem to burn enough calories through exercise, so learning about low carbohydrate eating has truly changed my life.
    Like so many here, I started just following the BSD but learned so much more as we went along. I recommend you start to explore some of the podcasts by Dr. Bikman and Dr Jason Fung — on insulin resistance and fasting.
    Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention Gary Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It “ — it is very useful and many of the most successful losers here have found it invaluable. These are all wonderful additions to the BSD. They are like cracking the code, at long last.
    Take care, let us know how you get on!

• posted by DonCato
    on

Hi Californiagirl,

Thanks for the replys. It’s nice to know how others get on. Well done on your achievements and three years on still going strong! I am just starting out but hope to be much healthier and fitter. I want a lifestyle change just like you have done. 6 days and doing okay though I did have a small Bailey’s yesterday but was back on track today! Good luck all 🙂

• posted by DonCato
    on

Made the skinny chillies from the book. It was scrummy. I didn’t put the chocolate in because people on the forums were saying it was too much and made the meal gross. So with no chocolate me my dad and brother tucked into it. They had rice with it, but I had salad and yogurt with it. Beginning of week 2. Here we go! 🙂

on

It’s so good to hear you are having success DonCato! I haven’t tried the chilis but I will go look it up because I love love spicy foods — luckily in my neck of the woods there are endless chili options!

• posted by DonCato
    on

Hey CG!
    Thanks so much for replying. It’s so nice just to have encouragements etc. If you like hot food I would recommend putting double the chillies flakes in that is in the recipe as it wasn’t hot enough for me. In fact chillies powder might be better than flakes. Thanks for the chats. X

on

Sounds good DC — extra chili flakes are a standard in my cooking repertoire ha ha. However, starting today I switch to old-fashioned American tradition — Thursday is Thanksgiving and my silly family will faint dead on the floor if I don’t cook EXACTLY what my great-grandmother cooked (according to family recipe lore) — especially one of the aunts who is one picky lady — luckily the main thing at Thanksgiving is turkey so I can have that and there are veggie sides which are also ok. I’m skipping the pre-dinner Old Fashioned so I’ll stick to some red wine. Sadly, I might succumb to a piece of pumpkin pie — oh dear, wish me luck.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I wish you every success, DonCato! You are in the very best of hands with Julia (Californiagirl) 🙂

I have a very good idea what your “groaning board” will look like on Thanksgiving Day, Julia! My family doesn’t care for
    any deviations from tradition on this holiday, either, though they will tolerate updated vegetables. Cooking brussel
    sprouts with pancetta is one of them, as is whipped sweet potato casserole with lemon juice. Don’t even THINK
    about changing the stuffing, though! And there had better be both apple pie and pumpkin for dessert…We will be
    alone this year however, so I’m keeping it simple. Best holiday wishes to you and yours! Conditions in the SF bay
    area are extreme at the moment, and I hope the rains arrive soon. I’m feeling for all of you!

Allie

on

Hi DonCato and Allie, yes, don’t even THINK about changing the stuffing ha ha, never more true words have been written!
    I will be managing my pumpkin pie with some fasting — although it is hard to do it before the actual day because I have a house full of guests (how do people EAT so much food!!?? — they want three meals a day)!
    Did you get a chance to look up Dr Bikman or Jason Fung, DC? I think they are very helpful to BSD’ers — especially in this season.
    And we have RAIN forecast today and tomorrow so maybe our fires will be out and our air back to breathable — it has been just terrible air quality and creepy white haze with weird sun coming through since the fires started.
    Allie, I heard the east coast was slammed with a very cold storm.
    DC, what is your weather like?
    Take care all!

• posted by DonCato
    on

Hi Allie and CG!
    I haven’t had a chance to look yet but I will. It’s so funny reading how different the weather is for you both. The UK is a tiny island. Literally if I asked someone what the weather was like on the other side of the country at this time of the year the two options would be rain or no rain. In the south we have no rain, just those lovely fresh and cold November days. Good luck with the temptations of Thanksgiving! I celebrated that once here with friends and the pumpkin pie (which I never knew existed!) was delicious so hats off for sticking strong. Nice to meet someone new Allie. Good luck to use all! 🙂

• posted by DonCato
    on

Okay today I went off the wagon. Full disclosure
    Breakfast: 3 sausages and tomatoe sauce

Lunch: ate cold pasta that I mum made from yesterday. Also had a slice of chocolate cake and creme freche (someone’s bday).

Dinner: my normal skinny chillies with yogurt and cheese.

Snacks: two bowman of veg hotpot and 2 slivers of dark chocolate.

Over all I think I had somewhere between 1800 and 2000 cals.

So today I went way off.

Will start again tomorrow. Come on Cato! Slow and steady wins the race

Please log in or register to post a reply.