Just started – medication advise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Puffer21
    on

Day 3 everything going well, I’m doing 2 replacement meals and 1 X 400 calorie meal, should I still be taking my metformin? Thanks

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I would say still keep taking your medication until your GP advises otherwise. I’m on 2000mg (4 tabs) daily and my review isn’t til June but I’m continuing on it til then.

• posted by Puffer21
    on

Thanks Leanne

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Please don’t take this as advise, I don’t have any kind of medical qualifications, this is just what I did. For a start, I’ve always had really good blood sugar levels with two Metformin tablets daily. But around 6 months ago I dabbled with the 5:2 diet with variations and started cutting out breakfast and eating less bread.
    It didn’t seem logical to take a Metformin in the morning with no carbs for it to deal with, so I cut out the morning one and have been taking just the one in the evening. Now I’m two weeks in to this diet, I’m sticking to just the one and I’m still getting a fasting BG level of 5.8 or so (104 on the other scale). I only cut my morning tablet out because I wasn’t having any carbs at all in the morning, but I made sure I tested my blood regularly.
    I’m doing this more for the weight loss than my blood sugar, but when I get down to my goal weight, I’ll ask my GP about trying it without the Metformin altogether. Good luck

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Sorry, a PS to my previous post. I wouldn’t have tried cutting out the morning Metformin if my bg levels weren’t stable and within the normal range.

• posted by Puffer21
    on

I had noticed my Fasting BS levels were starting to increase, then I read the Dawn Phenomenon, had some nuts before I went to bed, which seems to have done the trick.

Please log in or register to post a reply.