Judicious July: Just starting over!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Ooh Julia I fully understand your excitement about stocking up on greenery ! I can feel quite elated faced with a French farmers’ market ! Hooray for Bath !!! Glad you enjoyed Italy. We were lucky in Sardinia as restaurants always had lots of fresh and marinated fish.

Very impressed with your hiking work out ! I am a bit pitiful in comparison, having just started back to aqua gym 😉

Are you over the food poisoning 7babies ? Time to restore your friendly gut bugs !

Hope the rest of July is good for your articfox despite all the challenges.

I continue to be vigilant about my nut and choc consumption and will not even entertain 81 or 85% cacao content now as I can easily scoff too much !!
    Hi Cat / Hi Verano ! Allie will keep us well motivated !
    love to all xx

• posted by 7babies
    on

Back among the living. Yesterday was mostly toast and eggs but I had a lovely salad for lunch today. I felt like something sweet so I had about an 1/8 of a cup of trail mix and that felt like plenty. What a change from eating cookies, cakes, etc. My weight is moving nicely. Slow and steady wins, right? Off to daughter’s piano lesson. I’m letting her drive for practice. Nerve shattering 😁

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome back Julia! Glad you enjoyed your trip to Italy and thank you for the pumpkin seed tip.
    Well, today is a Thursday July 25th …… just seven days …. one week of Judicious July left so still time to be mindful of our choices and begin August in a better frame of mind. Well done to everyone who has been ‘judicious’ so far, and for those who haven’t……there is still time !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

V, whilst looking at the new list of Forums (not pedantic) I noticed there is now one called BSD Way of Life. Surely that is more in tune with us constant BSDers.

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes s-g I have seen that now. To be honest when I’ve started a new thread it’s just been in the same category as the one we are using at the time or one with the most people posting. I’ve not really given it that much thought. Maybe, if I set up another thread now, I will do so knowing that some posters have a different ethos to me, and take that into account!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m so glad that you are recovering from your bout with food poisoning, 7babies. It’s miserable! The usual culprits
    are undercooked chicken or shellfish that has “gone off”. My sister went to a dinner party at a friend’s house,
    got violently ill, and ended up in the emergency room and was in the hospital for 3 days. That was 15 years ago,
    and she hasn’t been able to eat chicken since. It certainly gets your attention, and leaves you weak as a kitten.
    Glad you are on the mend 🙂

Verano and SG, I find these distinctions from one category to another tries my patience. I’ve always flown from
    one thread to another, and always do so with the intent of sharing experience and hard earned advice. I know that
    you both do the same, with only the very best intentions. If new members choose to take offense, I think that is their
    problem, and they aren’t receiving the message we all work so hard to convey. Please don’t change any of your posting
    habits, V! You, Julia and SG have won the complete respect of our community, and I wouldn’t want any of you to
    ever question how or where you post. You are all a bright spot in my day, and I will catch up with you wherever I
    find you 🙂

on

Sorry we are trying your patience allie but I have to disagree. These distinctions are very important as can be seen by someone who is legitimately posting under fast800 and being criticised for carb intake (as an example). Then I was ‘told off’ on the Week at a Time thread because, having returned from holiday I was seriously trying to get my BG down and casually said I was not concerned about my weight. Meaning, the weight was put on hold while I dealt with the other issues (BG). It was perceived as me saying I didn’t need to lose weight and came across as me being smug about it (see, totally crossed wires). I dont want to bore people to death with talk of my numbers, my insulin and so on with people who have come to this site to do the Fast800 and have no idea what I am talking about. We all need our own spaces at times. There are still newbies coming on and posting under Welcome to BSD or BSD800 etc who have diabetes issues so that has not changed and I am more than happy to assist anyone. It is just when there are a mix of people on one thread each doing something totally different and getting confused about the dietary advice that is being given. That is why the forum threads can be split, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. I am more than happy to contribute to other threads as and when I see something of interest or if I want to start a new thread under BSD Way of Life then I will and that will not exclude anyone from contributing, (which I personally think is a great one for us on this plan as a long term life change because of diabetes). I dont think I or the others you have kindly pointed to, are making an issue of this, just new observations about how the site is changing. And, in my opinion, growing in richness and variety.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you SG! I’m always interested in your point of you. I guess perhaps the site IS changing, and I’ve just
    been oblivious to it. I’m glad that you are enjoying the changes though, because I can remember a post of
    yours months ago, when you remarked to V. that you liked the forum better when members were mostly
    diabetics only. If you don’t mind a compliment, the change of heart does really represent a lot of personal
    growth on your part, and I applaud you for that 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning all!
    As I have just posted on another thread, last night I settled down to watch ‘Question Time’ only to find it’s gone into summer recess. In its place came Zand van Tulleken and ‘The Truth about Carbs’. Well what a timely reminder for me! The stark reality of what some ‘beige and white’ carbs inflict on the body, especially for those of us with diabetes issues, was almost shocking. It certainly shocked’ me back into reassessing my own ‘reality’! I love his notion of ‘smart green carbs’. ‘Smart Carbs’ sounds so healthy, exciting, enticing and ‘ green’. His explanation of ‘starch resistant foods was uplifting. It’s encouraging to know that the starch in bread that has been frozen then toasted is actually good for gut bacteria! Not that that is open license to guzzle toast but it’s reassuring to know that the occasional piece of toast won’t actually wreck life.
    So this morning I really am thinking about my choices and trying to make them as judiciously as possible.
    Have a good Friday.

on

Allie, I just love a back handed compliment. I cannot understand why you are making this so personal. Could you please point me to that post as I have no recollection of saying any such thing,.

on

Hi V, I too love Question Time and did exactly the same as you. I watched the Zand programme for a while but realised I had already seen it. I know carbs can act differently we different people but quite recently I tried the cook and cool and re-cook method, I think it was with bread. Then I watched my BG go sky high, so know I cannot risk even the occasional ‘treat’. I doesn’t matter as I dont crave it but the lovely smell does drive me mad when oh is making his toast. I was interested in the experiment with tasting carbs and spitting them out having the same energy giving affect as actually eating them – in his case, energy drinks. Wonder if the same would work with alcohol. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g he made white toast with frozen bread straight into the toaster. Don’t know if that would make a difference. It started me wondering if all frozen foods, vegetables etc. would become starch resistant. Who knows! I think you are probably right in that each individual metabolises in a different way.
    Alcohol …. I wonder too ……!

on

V, my bread is always in the freezer or it would go mouldy within days and hubby only has 2 slices a day. The verdict is still out on alcohol but in the meantime I am giving it a very wide berth. Already lost 3lbs this week and dont want to throw that away. Funnily enough though, my BG has been creeping up from a normal 100 to around 140 this morning, all in the space of the time I have been seriously back on plan – who knows????

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done so far s-g! I must admit I only have Vogel sliced bread … sorry for the advert! It’s not widely available but a few supermarkets here have it. It’s full of good things, it’s dense and it toasts really well. My OH has two slices on a Saturday morning and I have one once in a blue moon. Just nice to know it’s not causing too much harm.
    I think in the past your BG normally goes up before it goes down when you make changes to your carbs ….. it will go down again you know it will!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I haven’t been feeling very judicious lately at all, but I’m going to try to focus for the last little bit of the month. I am feeling quite chuffed with myself this morning as I went for a bike ride last night and was so enjoying myself that I ended up going 27km! Not bad for the first time out in a long time, and actually I didn’t think about it before I went, but once I was out there I realized that it is the first time on a bicycle since my accident. My balance was really good – barely a wobble to be seen! I’m also not nearly as sore as I was expecting to be this morning, although maybe that will kick in tomorrow.
    Verano, I had a similar experience to s-g with the frozen or chilled and reheated carbs when I was wearing my continuous glucose monitor and doing a bit of experimentation to see what would work for me. Once with some white sourdough bread that I found in the back of the freezer, toasted and spread with butter and marmite, and another time with some new potatoes that I was given at work (yes I work at the kind of place where there are free veggies occassionally!) boiled and made into a potato salad with a vinagrette dressing using apple cider vinegar and chilled. Unfortunately for me it didn’t make a jot of difference to my b-g levels compared to eating just plain bread or newly boiled potatoes. It doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t work for you or anyone else, just that I know now that for me personally I can’t use it as an excuse to add back lots of white starchy carbs into my diet.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh dear, S.G.! I have the highest regard for your contributions to the forum, and I don’t give “back handed” compliments.
    Ever. I am completely without artifice, and whatever I feel in my heart has a tendency to come out of my mouth. I
    have an excellent memory, but it’s not photographic, and your remarks in the past I couldn’t begin to attach a date
    to. I found what you mentioned to V. quite interesting at the time, because it gave me an opportunity to think about
    how this wonderful site may have evolved, when it began as one primarily focused on BGL. I’m always growing
    and learning, and I appreciate others who are doing the same. We are limited by the written word, and occasionally
    what we say can be misconstrued. I wouldn’t offend you for the world, and I’m sincerely sorry if you interpreted it
    that way. That was never my intention. Are we “good”? 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Arcticfox it’s interesting to hear you had the same reaction to frozen toasted bread as s-g. Personally, I’m not convinced of the science behind it and would rather be guided by personal experience everyday.
    I think one of the main problems with this type of forum is that we are relying on the written word and as we don’t ‘know’ each other it’s sometimes hard to gauge a persons sense of humour, despite the use of emoticons. Added to the mix is the cultural divide. Often what one nationality finds amusing isn’t interpreted by another in the same way.
    We will just have to try and get on without too many misunderstandings…. hopefully!!

on

Hi Allie, all good.

V. Tried the frozen many seeded half a slice of bread then toasted to warm it through to use to mop up the juice from my homemade chicken curry. Same result. BG 139 this morning, which for me is very high.

• posted by Verano
    on

What a pity s-g. It would have been so nice if it had been true, but then, on the other hand it may have just opened up a can of worms!
    Oh dear! But how timely ….. a photo of me taken nearly 4 years ago, way before I discovered this WOL, has just surfaced out of the blue on my iPad. I was a big, fat, bloated blob! I can’t believe how different I look and feel now. I may not be near my ultimate goal but I do know I’m no longer ‘that’ old person, living that very unhealthy life. Really is time for me to keep on keeping on ………..

on

V, we are all different and I am not sure the experiment was to reduce insulin resistance but to reduce the number of carbs. For anyone not diabetic it could be a part solution to reducing carbs. You will also have heard the same with cooked rice, cooled then re-cooked, same with jacket potatoes. Unfortunately we dont have the means (machines) to test out these theories.

Anyway, well done you on keeping on… I am only 10lbs lighter than when I started but can still see a big difference and want to get back that feeling – look – I had when I was 28lbs discarded. You have also seen a massive improvement with your mobility. Remember when our only wish was to be able to fasten our shoes or was it paint our toenails. Whatever. I will still be on the site no matter how it changes. If you read the blurb on the Home page, DrM talks about all the different diets included on this site. We just have to be more flexible in our thinking about what other people are doing. I remember when this site was a bit like the carb police, you were castigated for even eating a carrot. Well I still have an occasional Ryvita – it is a good carb. Not everything in the past was better as can be seen by our weight and health. I would never go back to the diet I had before I found BSD. Lets all just keep on keeping on…

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, SG. I’m relieved!

I had a quick look at the homepage today, something I haven’t done in literally years. The format HAS changed!
    As you both probably already know, I found my way to this site very indirectly, and discovered that I had spent 10
    months doing the Fast800 without knowing what I had been doing even had a name! I do credit this community
    for my maintenance however. How gratifying to find an old photo, V.! I was so efficient at staying away from the
    camera during the miserable years, that the only “evidence” of my former state is on my license 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g I also had a look at the homepage and took the tests. I passed all, apart from the T2, with flying colours. That in my mind is a ‘result’. The only reason I failed the diabetes one was because of my BMI, which puts me at high risk of T2, the T2 I have under control with diet!!! Nonetheless this WOE is working because no way would I have passed a few years ago.
    Allie I though I’d been really efficient to but this was a photo with my OH and kids to celebrate his birthday. Even if I’d not wanted to be in the photo I was in no physical state to ‘duck’ under the table!
    On another note, when we started out on this thread 27 days ago, at our peak we reached 25 posters. I’m sorry so many have fallen away but hopefully some will write an update at the end of the month.
    Sometimes I think it’s just good to have a thread to report on, even occasionally, just to keep ourselves ‘accountable ‘. It certainly helps me.
    Anyway, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

on

Allie when we all started (you included) the Fast800 didn’t exist. It was a choice of 3 – BSD 800, 5:2 or Med diet. Fast 800 was first published in 2019 although it doesn’t state the month I know my daughter bought the book for me in April 2019. I have always followed the BSD800 plan and that particular book was almost exclusively aimed at people with diabetes or pre-diabetes with a by-line which said or if you have a lot of weight to lose and are worried about developing these conditions. When I read the Fast800 book I knew it wasn’t for me. First it is only a 2 week plan called the Very Fast 800 which Dr.M calls 800 calories a fast, we call it our way of eating. Second difference, after the first 2 weeks he says you can introduce limited carbs (mainly brown things like rice, pasta and wholemeal breads) and then he suggests a maintenance plan with we know as the Med diet which does allow carbs in small quantities. The main reason the Fast800 book is not for me is that he talks a lot about actual fasting i.e. not eating anything for long periods or intermittent fasting and time restricted eating (eating within certain time windows). For me it leads to very low Blood Glucose and, if you have been watching threads, you will know I have had a couple of serious hypos when trying to follow the new diet. I know and love the BSD but have no objection to anyone using this site to be on a different plan in fact when I talk to people about my diet I always say that I wouldn’t expect anyone to totally give up carbs but for me it is necessary. Dr M has merged his different diets into this site and we have 2 choices, stay and accept the differences or leave. I choose to stay and join in and give support where ever I can but also receive support as I continue my journey in controlling diabetes and trying to get my weight down.

For me, you allie and you V are 2 of the biggest successes on this site (along with others like Krysia, JGwen etc) and it has been a pleasure having you in my life and long may it continue. Dont forget girls, we have to keep on keeping on…

• posted by JGwen
    on

Reported the post from jasonsoh

• posted by alliecat
    on

SG, your special mantra, “keep on keeping on” has become our mantra, too! Your hypos are terrifying, and I’m
    ever grateful that your family is well versed in how to quickly react to them. You once famously said, when
    referring to this special community, “We have each others backs”. Absolutely true, and I wouldn’t have it any
    other way! What my days were like before I met you all is a fading memory. You all are the wind beneath my
    wings. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

I find it amazing that a group of ‘total strangers ‘ can forge such close bonds. I think SunnyB’s quote below sums us up exactly………
    ‘I have seen that in any great undertaking, it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.’ Quote for Lone Man( late 19th century) Teton Sioux, from Native American Wisdom, Running Press (ISBN 1-56138-307-4)’
    Hope you don’t mind me using your quote SunnyB and thank you for posting this.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are so right, V.! More and more often, I find myself turning to BSD “intimates” if something is laying heavy
    on my heart. 🙂

on

Hi all, I am still around. Had a good weekend and had success with my weight loss even though I havent been able to do any exercise. Gwen, was that the one about ‘my wife never needs to take her meds again etc…. diabetes cure, watch the video. If yes, I reported it too. I have sat through so many of those scams hoping for something to help me before I found BSD. Glad to see the back of him. Allie, I try to live up to my catch phrase and am surprised that it is being bandied around, even by those who are not on the same page without them even realising it. Lets all stick together as ‘intimates’ and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi Sunshine Girl
    Warm, witty and supportive as ever..”am surprised it is being bandied about, even by those who are not on the same page without them even realising it.” Sigh, had i realised it was copyrighted i wouldnt have used it…but stick together as ‘intimates’ and never bloody give up

• posted by Verano
    on

Maybe that ‘intimates’ should be ‘inmates’! I sometimes feel like one!
    Three big deep breaths!
    So ….. July is almost over. I really do hope those who are still plodding on, and those who have fallen by the wayside but may still be lurking, have gained something from this thread. As with lots of things in life we start all guns blazing and full of enthusiasm but as time wears on, and the novelty wears off, we drift away.
    I’m sure 6turkeys is starting an August thread so let’s all move on, put July behind us, learn some of the month’s lessons and make next month a better one.
    My ernest wish is that the heat, which seems to have gone to some people’s heads gets dissipated, and that we can put July behind us and carry on into a new month with new hope, and renewed vigour!
    August in the UK is know as the ‘silly season’ by the press …….. let’s not make it ‘silly’ here ….. please!

on

Deep breaths V. Me too.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I will be with you in August 6T, V, SG and other like-minded people whose sole /soul 😘 objective is to be as healthy as we possibly can..helping and supporting others as you have done throughout July,V. Let’s not get distracted ….lots of love to everyone 💝💗

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

V, Wendy, SG, Allie, JGwen, 6Ts and others who have a wealth of knowledge and experience and who like to help and support others instead of picking fights…….we need you…….I need you ❤️❤️

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

It wasn’t a judicious July for me. I’m aiming for an awesome August

• posted by Verano
    on

Wasn’t much better for me either Scottishgal but hey as you say, awesome August is just around the corner!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I’m here too! Not fallen by the wayside and looking forward to Awesome August! 💋💋

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am so going to rock August with my buddies ! I have been judicious with my choc and nut consumption this month but I am going to test my will power and see if I can continue to avoid mindless scoffing of Lindt 90% .Just a couple of days left inJuly.

6T are you taking over ?
    Are we going to be awesome or attentive or both ? 😉

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’m in – I’m all about being in the gang 😊

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone. Glad we’re still going strong ;).

I’ve not had a judicious July at all and am now away visiting family till Friday so am going to restart (again!!) on Saturday. I’ll definitely be joining the new August thread, and hopefully clawing back some ground!

Well done to everyone who has achieved good results this month and here’s hoping that we can all move forward in August X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Prospects are looking good for sixturkey’s new August thread! I’m so glad our “gang” will be traveling along together.
    Kirsten, my sweet, you’ve been a part of us from your very first post! We recognize pure sincerity and a fantastic
    sense of humor, here! 6T, the call is yours! How will you define us for August? Awesome or attentive? 🙂

on

Well I think we are all awesome but what’s in a name. I’ll be there.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, I love being part of this very supportive gang and will continue to be here. – Work / life balance can get a bit out of kilter during the school holidays but I will be reading the forum most days.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi folks, just dropping by to say that I will definitely be there for A(wesome or ttentive) August. I have been *mostly* Judicious in July, and think I will have met my goal, but waiting until tomorrow to officially check the scales and see.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Almost the end of the month and I have lost 10lbs which while not earth shattering is quite good and on schedule for the 16 I want to lose by end of August. So I am up for awesome or attentive August. Since giving up sugar and over processed food, my skin looks great and the leg and hip pains I was getting most days are gone so I think definitely I have a lot less inflammation in my system. All good. I don’t often post but do follow the posts and feel quietly supported so thank you all in judicious July

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Luciaslife I think that IS earth shattering! Well done for such a great loss in July. My aim is also to lose 6lb by the end of August so let’s do it! Great to hear about the NSVs too 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Great result luciaslife! Hope August sees you reach your goal of 16.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Verano l’m still here and have posted on the new weekly thread how I have been doing for July. Will post on the first for final results. Will be joining the August thread.
    Luciaslife you did wonderful for the month of July. You actually reached my goal and I have maintained. I will have 10lbs for my August goal.

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Hi all,
    I weighed in yesterday and lost a further 1.2lbs last week, so my total loss for the four weeks of 10.8lbs. My loss for the last two weeks combined is 3lbs which is a bit of a slow down from weeks 1 and 2 but generally I am pleased with the outcome. I would say I have only been injudicious once in July, and that was coming back on the car ferry from a meeting on the Isle of Wight. I was very hungry after a long day on my feet and had a raspberry and almond slice with a flat white coffee. I tried to compensate by not really having an evening meal as such.
    I would like to join the August forum, and hope to lose another 11lbs by end of the month if possible. See some of you on the other side!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Chunkyd, I bet you are pleased – that is really great! After a not wholly judicious July, the starting point for me as per scales will be exactly the same. But I have seen a change in body shape – the midriff “scrunch up” – you know what I mean JGwen! – is narrower. So I’m putting it down to fat cells filled with water, ready to shed their load when I buck up my ideas next month. Kafin’s film set job, in the desert, sounds very exciting! Any famous stars you can divulge? I saw a mention of the vagus nerve on a thread, and coincidentally, saw a piece on BBC News website today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49157343 . It’s amazing how this kind of research is thought up.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone – sorry I haven’t kept up with posting, I was away last week with no internet access.

I’m out tomorrow so thought I’d give my final update on here today. My goal for July was to get back into a regular exercise routine, which I’m really pleased to say I have done. I’ve been going to the gym and I’m slowly building up my routine to include the Ted Naiman ‘working muscle to failure’ idea. Seems to be going well so far. I’ve also got back to regular attendance at my other exercise classes apart from Pilates where I need to find a different class as the new instructor’s soft voice and background music and my poor hearing, tinnitus etc just don’t mix – ah, the joys of age!

One of the reasons my exercise routine fell away a bit was because I was away from home unexpectedly a lot during the last six months, and my routine went out the window, particularly when staying with family (as happened last week ). So, I’d also like to join the August thread. I’m going to continue with my gym/exercise classes etc, but my challenge for August is to walk at least 10,000 steps a day – if I can make that a daily habit, it is something I will be able to do wherever I am – well, that’s the theory!

Luciaslife and chunkyd – they’re great losses, really inspiring xx

See everyone on the new thread on Thursday

Jennie xx
    I like either title, but for what it’s worth, sixturkeys, I particularly like your original ‘attentive august’ – sums it up perfectly for me!

Please log in or register to post a reply.