Jubilee Journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Official weigh day tomorrow for me and the trend is still up and down on my daily weigh ins and it doesn’t look promising for much or any of of a loss this week despite being on plan and walking and saying no to a huge home made cookie at work this week!! It really feels as if I am doing all the right things but just not seeing a result yet!! This is when I have to dig deep and think about where I want to be and coming up with weight loss ideas. I might have to start incorporating a weekly fast day to try and get things moving. I’ll make a plan after my weigh in tomorrow for next week. Only a couple of weeks before my jeans test (1 june) so that will be interesting too because I know the scales are not the full picture. I am still strong and determined to get to goal and will do what it takes to get there. Just wish my body would stop resisting and shed some blooming fat!!

Fingers crossed for a loss tomorrow! Won’t get to my goal if 148 sadly this week because I am still the same weight as I was last week which is 151!! So annoying I can’t get into the 140’s. I started this challenge at 154.4 so as you can see slow progress in four weeks!!!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone!NOKIE sorry to hear you’ve feeling down,it sucks,i hope that it lifts and you feel better soon . Sometimes it’s difficult not to comfort eat when things feel a bit bleurgh..so stay with us on the bus to keep motivated x
    JENNIE I’m so glad I’m not the only one who lost stones and put a chunk back on. Like you,I’m looking for ways to get back to where I was,and trying to figure out what will work this time,but somehow I don’t have the constant motivation and focus I had in that 2016-17 halcyon period! But we will get there by hook or by crook! x
    DAWN just like your birthday turned into a weekend,I’ve been even worse..my weekend with DD turned into a whole week of bad choices food wise so I haven’t weighed in this morning,too scared! I’m afraid it’s the Wet Lettuce treatment for both of us,so meet me at the back of the bus where the lettuces are kept!x
    DCT enjoy time with yr Mum and yr visitors when you return x
    ..CCATHY!SUEBLUE!MARIET!LINDA!and all the Bus Band. Love to all…and happy weekend Xx
    I find this quite an inspiring quote …
    ~★♥ ~ “The world needs all of our power and love and energy, and each of us has something to give. The trick is to find it and use it, to find it and give it away, so there will always be more. We can be lights for each other, and through each other’s illumination we will see the way. Each of us is a seed, a silent promise, and it is always spring.” ~★♥ ~
    (Merle Shain ).

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello everyone
    Thankyou all for your good wishes you are so kind ❤️
    I am still feeling sad all the time by see my doctor on Monday to talk things through 😊 I am so grateful for your support I hope I can get my weight down as. I know I would feel better
    My problem is. Keep switching from fast 800 to sugar diet etc I can’t seem to stick to one thing probably the way I am feeling 😊
    I read all your posts and that keeps me going so Thankyou again
    Have a good weekend everyone
    Lv nokie xx😘

on

Hello everyone
    As expected my weight was the same today as last Friday (actually it was slightly up by 0.4 lb) so I was very disappointed as I had hoped for a good loss! I’ve been really careful this week about what I ate – not much at all in fact! I’ve decided to not get on the scales now until next Friday because they’re annoying me! So a week of not knowing and I’ll jump on again on Friday and hope to get to the elusive 148lb!

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello all, I thought I’d better post as it feels like I’ve been MIA for a while. I’m currently avoiding the scales too Cathy as I’ve been eating and drinking all of the things I shouldn’t be. There’s no real reason for it either, it’s not my birthday and I haven’t been away on holidays or anything. It’s more a general feeling of apathy, and like you Nokie I keep chopping and changing which version of the diet I’m following. And lately the “off plan” days are outnumbering the on plan ones!
    Anyway it’s time for my carb monster to be put back in its cage!
    I’ve had a slightly better day today, going for a long walk and racking up 13,500 steps.
    I’m going to do a fridge and pantry audit tomorrow and plan some healthy meals. I’ll weigh in on Friday and hopefully by then any damage I’ve done will be reversed!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

CC – that’s so disappointing for you, but all that hard work will show on the scales at some point soon. I always remember JGwen talking about the tyranny of the scales. I’ve been known to balance precariously on the sides/corners of the scales to try to shave off 0.5lb (fell off more than once and banged my head on the bathroom wall). Good plan to not weigh this week.
    Nokie – hope the GP appointment goes well on Monday. I’ll be thinking about you.
    Yowzer – yes, that’s exactly me too. By hook or by crook! Oh, and I’m still doing my de-clutter – that’s going great!
    DCT – thanks for the kind words. Another 1lb down is great. Have a lovely time with your Mum and your friends.
    Hope everyone else are doing well.
    So, all I can report from my last post is that I’ve started going for a walk each day. I’m keeping things really simple. We’re away from today for a week and my plan is to walk every day (and use a pedometer). Should be good to go.
    Have a good weekend (and week) everyone.
    Jennie
    nb SueBlue – I’ve just read your post. Those steps are great going!

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Hi All, we’re still here 🙂

Girls, especially if you are fuller chested (like me) & want some swimsuits, QUICKLY go to ebay & get them as they are going FAST. I needed a swimsuit for our cruise & also, should we ever get to go back to the US, for both step-daughters pools, which look absolutely enticing. I looked at ones to fit my humungous boobies & they were running around £64.99 – £89.99 each. Went on ebay & had 5 delivered yesterday – superb! & for 3 swimming costumes (1 will be returned) & 1 tankini spent a grand total of just less then £65. All brand new from same ebay seller.YAY!
    Having never worn a tankini before I’m now totally smitten by them & just wished I’d ordered earlier as all my sizes have now gone. I’m gonna have to put some darts in the bottom part of the swimsuits as my bottom part is far smaller than my top – easier than trying to make top bigger (which is just about impossible). Just wish I’d bought all tankinis – they work whatever size your bottom is, larger or smaller.
    I’ll just send this one quickly, so hopefully you all look & manage to get them..
    Linda XXX

on

Hi all again 🙂
    Well I did manage to get down to 11st 7.7lbs back on 13th BUT I’ve somehow managed to go back up to 11st 10lbs & back down to 11st 8.4lbs today. Ho hum! I’ve been REALLY good too. I just wish I’d carried on trying to lose back last September as it’s getting more than hard now to lose much.

The big plus is that we’re both enjoying this way of eating more now since finding the lovely Sharwood’s curry sauces, some of which are outstanding & aren’t too bad on the carb front. The best sauces IMHO are the Sharwoods extra creamy Tikka Masala (OMG that one we both would be happy to eat daily) Rogan Rosh & Jalfrezi. These are the £1 ones from Asda & Morrisons. Makes a very quick & easy curry. Yeah I know that I could make my own with less carbs BUT these are outstandingly great sauces & to be honest I often can’t be arsed to make my own. I’ve also started making chicken curry with the VERY cheap £1.69 for 340gms cooked chicken slices from Tesco Freezers or Aldi. Tried the more expensive ones first but these are exactly the same – beats dicing & slicing the breasts up & then having to clean all surfaces & sink up (I’m a bit anal about this having trained in Microbiol.) Try them as it makes life SO much easier.

I also managed to find some butter spread from Castle Dairies which is FAR better than Lurpak, Anchor etc. even if you usually use ordinary butter. If your Tesco or whomever stock it please try it. It makes all the difference to put over cauli/broccoli/leeks when you just want them buttered. These 2 additions mean we’re really enjoying our food much more. If they stop stocking this in our Tesco then I’ll be going where it’s made – Caerphilly, which luckily is just about 20miles away. It’s THAT good!

Love to all. My brain fog means I can’t remember how you are all coming along. I know a few of you are having a tough time, like me, trying to get your weight down BUT we’re all going to stick with it & I think quite a few of us will be returning on the next bus,
    Onwards & downwards all
    Linda XXXX

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning everyone. I seem to be over my flu after only one day in bed and a couple of days in front of the tv, so maybe having the flu shot really did help. Usually I’m sick for much longer.
    I had a dream that I was having dinner at this huge banquet in Johnny Depp’s medieval castle, after my dessert Mille-feuille I went for a walk in the gardens but when I came back people were still eating (lobster, and strawberries and cream) and I said “oh, I missed out” and Johnny Depp said “you can never miss out on food, because there is always more food”. When I woke up I thought that was very deep. Not true everywhere in the world of course, but for me, there will always be more food available. Except in extremely rare special events, I don’t have to worry I will “miss out” if I don’t eat something on offer today. Most of the food I try to restrict will still be available tomorrow and every other day.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

NATALIE I think it’s a very good way to think about food. Telling yourself you choose not to eat something ‘ for now’ but that you may have it another day helps. You don’t feel so deprived,or as if you’re missing out, when you can simply decide to say no today to that food,whatever it may be, in the full knowledge that you’re not saying no to it forever. X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi all,I’m still wobbling around in my seat at the moment so am putting off weighing today.Yowzer wet lettuces at the ready please.Hope everyone is ok,I will check in again tomorrow.Dawn X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello all of you on the 🚌 bus

Just checking in to tell what happened at docs!!!
    I had a few tears 😭 but the doc was lovely she told me to carry on with my statins ad I feel ok on them I am going to take an antidepressant just for a while and have some sessions with a councillor. I told her it was a vicious circle as I eat every thing in site when things go wrong 🤣
    I told her I had done the mm sugar diet about 5 years ago and got to my goal weight !!! She said ok I want you to do the same and I have to back in 12 weeks which will be August!! And have my bloods tested she said it was a good diet !!
    So looks like I am on this bus 🚌 for another 13 weeks I am determined now to fo it as I have this forum to keep me going and also all the other help u really hope I come out the other side a thinner positive person 💕Thankyou for your support I know I haven’t been on the bid long but I appreciate it
    Be in touch soon and keep going all
    Love nokie xx💕

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi NOKIE! You sound brighter,are you feeling a bit better?
    You’ve helped me today to not give up..I was thinking,for heavens sake,I’m 72! Why am I struggling with worries about weight. Just relax,enjoy life,stop thinking about food and just eat normally,forget about dieting! Unleash the Carb Monster!
    But if you’re up for staying on the bus,NOKIE,I will too.
    We know exactly how to do this! Come on DAWN join us,let’s get going! Ding ding! It’s the Magic Bus! XX

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello yowzer49
    Glad I helped you today 🤣

Yes I am feeling better today just got to get back in that bus and keep going !!!
    I am 68 so not far behind you we can do this it’s a great forum too💕
    One question I would like to ask do any of you use the mm shakes I found them good only 249 calories with the 300 ml of almond milk helps if you don’t know what to have
    Love nokie xx

on

Hello everyone

Nokie- good to hear you’re feeling better and your Doctor sounds lovely. I am going to be on this bus for quite a while yet with you as sadly I am struggling to lose my excess weight and it seems to be going slower than usual! I cannot break the 150 lb barrier! I’m not weighing this week because the scales are not moving down and I get fed up every morning so I’ll just weigh once a week on a Friday and keep hoping for good news.

Yowser- I know what you mean about struggling with worrying about weight . I look at big people who are years younger than me and I ask myself why I am so hard on myself at my age. I am always struggling to like myself and always struggling to achieve my goal but like you I am staying on the bus and giving it my best!

It was my son’s birthday yesterday and I ate a piece of coffee and walnut cake with him and his wife and I did it mindfully! I am not angry with myself for saying yes, that is quite liberating. Today I was back on the wagon and it felt good not weighing this morning. My goal is to try and get to 148 this week- I am not giving up on this goal which seems difficult to achieve! I will chip away!!

Lovely to be sharing this difficult journey with such lovely people.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Morning all,I feel well and truly ‘lettuced’ (thank you Yowzer) and had a better day yesterday for it.Onward and downward! Dawn X

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello all . . . . and another week whooshes by!! Nokie, Yowzer, Cathy – and anyone else who’s mentioned it – I’m also up for another bus.🚐 Nokie, I like the idea of an August target so will definitely be keeping you company. Perhaps if we do the next bus from early June to end of August, which is about 12 weeks?

I’m really disappointed with my progress (lack of!) during this Jubilee Journey. I started off very motivated and full of good intentions but as of today am pretty much back where I started. I know why: it’s been a busy week firstly visiting my mum and going out for lunch with her every day, then entertaining friends on my return. So I confess I’ve gone off piste for those family/social reasons which isn’t really an excuse but just life happening I guess.

I know the re-gain will come off quickly again but it does feel like for me this journey has just been losing and putting back the same 3-4lb all the way through. Yowzer I know what you mean about sometimes feeling like not caring any more – and I guess I’ve been a bit like that this week in terms of eating anything without fussing – but I definitely feel worse for it, sluggish and bloated, so I want to keep going for that reason as well as anything else. But Yowzer you’ve made amazing progress this journey – really inspiring – so give yourself a big pat on the back! 👏

Today is another day so here’s hoping 🤞 Dawn I’m glad you’ve had some better days this week and hope that continues. Pass over those wet lettuces! Cathy I really hope you meet your goal this week, you are working really hard at it and it would be so motivating for you.

Take care everyone, and good luck over the next week or so for the last leg of our journey X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello all
    Well today is our wedding anniversary and out for a meal tonight so I am jumping off 🚌 bus just for tonight!!😊
    Glad we are continuing the next stop August I haven’t done very well but am hopeful that I will stick to it with all your help
    Have a good weekend everyone
    Love nokie xx💕

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone, I’m definitely on board too when the next trip to August comes along!Hope everyone is having a good day.I’m still not 100% sticking to my food plan but trying harder than last few weeks which is something.Dawn X

on

Hello everyone
    Apart from the piece of coffee and walnut cake on Sunday with my son for his birthday I’ve stuck to plan. I’ve worked four long days this week and not eaten one biscuit at work. A patient brought me in a lovely box of M&S biscuits as a thank you which I shared and didn’t eat one!!! I’ve had small lunches without bread so salad, cheese, hummus and celery or apple and cheese and I’ve weighed myself this morning to find I am 3lb up from last Friday. A small piece of cake doesn’t weigh 3lb! I’ve had omelette, cauliflower cheese, crustless quiche and salad for my evening meal etc etc so I am absolutely gutted. I haven’t had one alcoholic drink- I drink water all the time or red bush tea without milk. Because I haven’t weighed every day since last Friday I cannot see the trend but this is ridiculous. My scales are accurate, digital scales so there is no margin for error there. I am doing something very wrong. I am now only 1lb lighter than I was at the start of the jubilee challenge and nowhere to being the new woman I hoped to be when my husband comes home in July. This is when I could easily throw in the towel. This way of eating is not working for me anymore. I will give it another week and I’ll weigh daily until next Friday when I do my first jeans try on and then I’m going to have to have a radical rethink. Those jeans are going to be exactly same as they were at the start of this month! I am so disappointed. I know there are a few of us who are not making the progress we hoped to. What can we do? I literally will have to starve myself to lose weight at this rate. I had a chat with my colleagues yesterday when I declined a biscuit (I had also declined cake earlier in the week when the pharmacist treated everyone to a cake from a local cake shop) and they said why are you always so strict on yourself? I do want to maintain my self control and have some pride in my appearance and be as healthy as I can be but maybe I need to accept that I am a 61 year old woman who weighs 153 lb and can’t achieve 138 lbs any more. I wonder if accepting myself will be easier than aiming for the impossible? It’s a genuine question I need to reflect on this week.

Have a good week everyone. Sorry for the rant!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy so sorry to read your post, especially after all of your efforts! The first thought that struck me was are you eating enough? Ive read that not eating enough can slow your metabolism and therefore slow weight loss. I wondered also if not eating enough could cause weight gain?
    I’ll check my weight tomorrow but tbh I’m not expecting much this week!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I feel for you CC,that’s really demoralising when you’ve been so strict with yourself,avoiding treats like the box of biscuits.
    My first thoughts,like SUEBLUE,is maybe you’re not eating enough,so your body’s clinging on as hard as it can to any extra pounds. I think it’s called going into starvation mode. I seem to recall this being discussed when I was on the fasting forum. It will feel counterproductive,but up your calories for now.
    I’ve just tried to find an old post on the fasting site..think it’s this..
    “I heard of Amanda Sainsbury- Salis when i was fasting and hit an adverse reaction after about three months of 5:2 and v good results weightwise…. Body was telling me it was time to eat a little more..I ate more,without going mad,for a week or so, and was able to return to fasting/ losing.
    I think her book is called Dont GO Hungry or Dont Go Hungry Again ”
    Might be worth giving it a try? XX

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Yowzer I read Dr Amanda’s book years ago and so much of it resonated with me. I remember she discussed one of her obese patients who was out on a very low calorie diet but didn’t lose weight – her previous medical team were basically saying she was lying about what she was eating as she wasn’t losing weight on the VLCD, but she was strictly sticking to the plan. It was only when she was under Dr Amanda and given a higher calorie allowance that she began to lose weight. Anyway food for thought (pardon the pun!)

Cathy – another thought I had was that perhaps you could change your view of the new woman you wanted to become. Perhaps instead of focusing on a particular weight, focus on health and well being? So if you are eating healthily, regularly doing some exercise that you enjoy, working in a meaningful role, accepting (or even better, embracing) your body, then you are being the best version of yourself that you can be. I hope that makes sense!
    I was talking to my youngest daughter yesterday and she mentioned her weight. She’s 69kg and a size 10 (she’s also 6ft tall), and I realised I was a similar weight at her age (actually all through my 20s and much of my 30s) For a time I was only 62kg – At 56 years old I really couldn’t imagine getting down to that sort of weight now! And I don’t want to spend the rest of my life stressing over weight goals and what food I can and can’t eat… Maybe we just have to find that balance – eating enough food that we enjoy and that nourishes us, occasionally having small amounts of ‘not so healthy’ foods and just aim to get to a reasonably healthy weight? Rather than aiming for a possibly unsustainable number on the scales?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I just read sthing that really made me think,wanted to see what SUEBLUE!CC and all you bus folk think
    it was saying,be very careful before you compliment people on weight loss,because weight loss can happen for so many reasons.
    I remember when I lost all my excess weight,some people I didn’t know well,didn’t comment at all,but I knew that they had noticed.
    I think they thought I must be really ill. Or perhaps bereaved or very depressed. And for some people,those reasons may be exactly why they’ve lost weight.
    This article said that another big reason not to comment on a weight loss is because that person may well hold the belief that their body isn’t good enough. If they have spent time feeling unattractive /unworthy because of their body shape/size, and then when they have lost weight, they constantly get complimented and admired,it reinforces their fear that to be loved, accepted and acknowledged,they need to be thin.
    This really resonates with me,I loved being complimented,but deep underneath lurked the thought,
    did I really look THAT bad when I was fat?
    Did fat make me less of a good person?
    I’m now getting so much approval for being slim,were people looking down on me when I was bigger?
    The other side of those questions,having regained some weight,nobody refers to it at all.
    Nobody mentions it,and I can understand that. l would find it difficult to comment on sbodys weight gain,unless that person opened the conversation themselves.
    But it does add to the sense that people must be thinking ‘oh,you succeeded …but now you failed again.’
    it does feels like unspoken disapproval,to me anyway,and just reinforces my anxiety about size,when really at my age,shouldn’t I just be more concerned about eating for good health.
    I dont know what the answer is,obviously compliments can be encouraging,obviously it’s crass to say to somebody,oh wow you’ve put weight back on!
    I guess all we can do is think twice before speaking either way. All I do know is that I’m an emotional eater and I’ve no idea how to change that 🙂🙃🤔 I think getting to the bottom of all that would end the ( exhausting at times) losing and gaining weight.
    There’s a Simon and Garfunkel song,Still Crazy AfterAll These Years ..my version is Still YoYo Dieting After All These Years!🙄😄
    Love to all,and happy weekend!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone, Cathy I was sorry to read your post, you sound really fed up bless you.As Sueblue and Yowzer have already mentioned, I have also heard about people not eating enough to lose weight, could it be that maybe.I wish I had half your will power in resisting goodies offered so it must be very disheartening when the scales don’t show the effort you’ve put in.I can understand why you want to have a good think about how to go forward.I’ve decided for the next couple of weeks not to count my calories, just to eat as healthily as I can in an 8 or 9 hour eating window as I’ve read about quite a few people recently who haven’t cut down on calories but have managed to get to a healthy weight just by doing that.Looking at the NHS BMI calculator I have almost 2 stone to lose to get to the top of the healthy BMI for my height, I honestly don’t think I could get much lower than that, I do wonder if the BMI calculation is unhelpful sometimes! Dawn X

on

Hello Everyone
    Sorry I’ve not posted since Friday to your kind thoughts and responses. Had a couple of sad days (not weight related) so didn’t feel up to it. You won’t believe this but on Friday night I had mushroom bolognaise and ate a whole M&S garlic bread and had a glass of red wine and on Saturday I had lost half a pound so there may be something in not eating enough! Absolutely ridiculous. I didn’t weigh today because I forgot. I’ve made a delicious cauliflower and Stilton soup today and I’m having that for my evening meal.
    I am going to try hard to keep going, by hook or by crook I want to lose at least half a stone more before I go on holiday in September. I am going to take your advice SueBlue and try and be the best person I can be. I know I am my own worst enemy and drive myself hard to be a certain weight- years of yo yo dieting and never having much self confidence. I am 61 years old and have had many serious health issues over my lifetime including juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, removal of a schwannoma from my femoral nerve when I was told I may never walk again and here I am moaning about being overweight. Yes, I do want to be healthy and preserve my health (I’ve had my eyes opened whilst doing the vaccinations at how frail some people are who are not a lot older than me and it’s made me realise how important looking after my health is. So, I am going to embrace being healthy, mentally strong, artistic, funny, strong, brave etc.

Thank you for your kind words everyone.

Have a great week and I’ll be having my first jeans try on this week on the 1st June. I’ll still be squeeeeeezing into them this month but maybe not so much squeeeeeeezing next month.

on

Hello all. Lots going on!

Cathy I feel your pain, and hope the kind and wise words are of some help. What Sue said particularly resonated with me, about becoming the person you want to be and are happy with being – no matter what the scales say. And I have a sneaky feeling that your jeans will fit better than you think: remember it’s not all about numbers.

Dawn I was interested in your observations re BMI, because I do remember on one of my (many!) spreadsheets a while ago, setting targets for myself. And I worked out that to get to what is a low BMI I would have to be what is for me a ridiculously low weight. I’m now in the upper bounds of acceptable, but even if I achieve my long term weight loss goal, my BMI will still be in the middle of that range rather than the lower end. So I’m not sure how helpful it is either.

Anyway lovely bus people, hope this week goes well. I will set up another thread sometime over the UK Bank Holiday weekend …… just hope I can get my act together a bit better next time round, as the Jubilee Journey has been pretty disappointing for me tbh 🙀

on

PS belated Happy Anniversary Nokie 😊 And Yowzer, thanks for those insightful thoughts about commenting on weight loss. Am tired now, but lots of food for thought (pardon the pun!) and will respond properly in due course X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well here we are,counting down to Jubilee,our bus almost ready to pull in to the depot!
    DCT thanks for setting up a new journey for us to embark on post Jubilee Weekend! 🙏
    I was just reading this article I came across this ..

https://atozenlife.com/things-to-let-go-of/
    Which Im finding a useful and positive article to browse through and act on
    Things to let go of in 2022..we are now nearly into the sixth month of 2022 but it’s never too late to make a start on letting go of some of those things that hold us back from leading a better life! AND from losing those pesky pounds!
    Give it a look,there’s some really helpful suggestions,very much resonated with me.
    🌷May is almost gone,but hello soon to June! the days are longer than ever for some of us most of the month at least!🌷

on

Hi Yowser

I loved the article about things to let go of. Lots of top tips for me in that especially toxic fantasy self items – goal size or weight!! It’s me!

Have a good week everyone

on

hello everyone

1st of June so it’s cropped trouser and white jean try on day. I got them both on and zipped up which is great news. A tad too tight but another month should see a difference. I’ll be trying them on again on 1st July. I will weigh myself on Friday and then tot up my jubilee journey weight loss total. There won’t need to be a calculator involved, that’s for sure! I will be definitely on the next bus journey to wherever that takes us all. This month’s journey has been about so much more than losing weight. It has been about coping on my own; having no contact with my husband and best friend of over 45 years and coming to terms with disappointment in many guises- so called friends who haven’t been there for me, loneliness but also about being brave and resourceful and challenging myself. I am becoming that new woman I wanted to be, the best version of myself (thanks SUEBLUE). I am determined to rise to this 12 week challenge of being on my own and to be proud of myself. I am driving over to Chesterfield today to see my husband’s mum. She has advanced dementia and hasn’t even realised he is away which is a good thing, he is away for eight more weeks so we are one third of the way through his retreat.

I hope June proves to be a sunnier month for those of us in the UK- May has been atrocious here in the North West!

Have a wonderful Jubilee weekend everyone. I’m having a clotted cream and raspberry jam scone on Friday after my weigh in to celebrate the platinum Jubilee in style. I’ll post my weight and total on Friday and have reserved my seat on the next bus.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys its been a long time since I had the spare energy to join in on social forums. I was struggling for a long time with long covid and just starting to get back to normal when I caught it again. – Turns out that covid is so nasty because it has the ability to reawaken dormant viruses like that responsible for glandular fever.

Anyway, I thought that this article may be of help to CC Especially the end section which is another reminder that the reading on the scale is not a reflection of the successes in returning to optimum health.

https://blog.thefastingmethod.com/losing-weight-for-women-and-men-women-and-fasting-part-2/?fbclid=IwAR2XRC6qvGb8WNpHO2z1tqmWJILzQyrpRGZboxo4v2CMRtde9yzCKplN7s8

on

Hi JGwen
    Good to see you posting again on the forum and thank you for this extremely interesting article.
    I will take on board the interesting findings and see if I can up my fasting game.

I was sorry to read how poorly you have been following covid. I hope that you go from strength to strength in your recovery and get back to your pre covid levels of fitness. People are not taking covid seriously any more and having lost a friend to covid I have the utmost respect for how dangerous it can be. Thankfully, i have not yet succumbed to it but I am not complacent. It’s not gone away.
    It’s good to see you back on the thread JGwen and there are a few of us changing buses soon so I hope you will consider taking a journey with us to better health. Thank you for sharing this inspiring article.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone – glorious sunshine here at the moment so June’s looking good at the moment, CC. Long may it continue!
    DCT – Thanks for setting up the next journey. I’ll also be on the Summer charabang.
    CC – It’s great to hear you can get your white jeans on…and zipped up! I have to confess to just having the button fastened and wearing a tunic top on a number of outings in times past. Seriously though, I think you’ve done brilliantly on this journey for all the things you describe.Well done that woman!
    Yowzer – I also enjoyed the article. I remember reading the conversation on Positive Threads (with Verano) about the idea behind Feng Shui i.e. by moving or removing items, you can stir up the energy in your home. (If there is no movement, the energy of your space as well as your inner and outer lives may be stagnant and/or stuck). I’ve been de-cluttering for quite a while now and I’ve been surprised how emotional but also how freeing it is.
    JGwen – it’s so nice to ‘see’ you again. So sorry to hear about how poorly you’ve been, and for how long. Really hope you continue to see improvements and a return to good health. xx Thanks for the article you posted, too. I remember Jason Fung in an interview talking about the difference in metabolic rates depending on your dieting history, age, etc. It always stuck with me as it rang so many bells. Also, great to have a link to follow-up for other info from Jason Fung and Megan Ramos. I’m a fan of both. Take care. Do post when and as you can.
    I was away last week. My simple target was to walk every day. I did OK-ish, but like CC I’ll report in on this tomorrow.
    Hope everyone else is doing well. Off to re-heat yesterday’s cauli cheese – living life on the edge as ever.
    Jennie xx
    Edited – Hi Cathy, our posts have just crossed so will catch up tomorrow xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Glad you like the article CC, Megan has written another article in the past which also focuses on how the scale does not show the whole picture and she so often has clients who have lost inches between appointments but are disappointed because they only focus on the readings on the scales. – I like her point asking what people would prefer, to go into old age with weak bones scared of falling, or to have stronger bones and a higher reading on the scales that no one else sees anyway.

I am not sure about joining the next bus, I popped on the forum to have a look to see what was happening and how I felt about the contents of the posts. I have a lot of respect for Dr M and his work and will be always grateful for the way his books and this forum started me on a path to healing. But, I know for me that eating the BSD way is not enough for my body to heal I have to have periods with insulin as low as possible, which means fasting.

on

JGwen- sadly I have been diagnosed with advanced osteoporosis- so am waiting for an infusion as I can’t tolerate the Alendronic acid I was prescribed. I don’t know why I have osteoporosis as I’ve never smoked, don’t drink to excess, haven’t been underweight- my rheumatologist said it’s because I am a woman! I did suffer with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis aged 13 (stills disease) and I wonder if that affected my bones. Years of dieting may well have contributed! I think I am with you JGwen in the fasting group. I used to regularly do 42 hour fasts. I’m going to read my intermittent fasting book again and get going with it- so many health benefits!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Sorry to hear about ongoing illness in our BSD family. My daughter had long COVID for months but seems ok now. I hope everyone gets better.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m sitting here after eating half a box of cheese-flavoured crackers feeling rather disappointed in myself. They were supposed to be for when visitors came over on the weekend! It’s so weird to swing back and forth between determination to look after my health, and just not caring in the moment I am craving something. The latter happens far too often.

on

Hello everyone
    I have lost exactly 5lb during the jubilee journey and I am very happy with that. My weight was up a little from yesterday but one things I’ve seen over the course of this month is how my weight can fluctuate up and down. Anyway, , 5lb down and that is great progress for me. About 10lb or so to go to my goal weight but I’m also being mindful that the scales are NOT the whole story. Looking forward to jumping on the next bus after the jubilee weekend.

Have a lovely weekend everyone and I’ll look forward to reading your updates later.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy – well done on your 5lb loss 🙂 And I read your post about your jeans fitting better too 🙂
    I think you’re doing so well – you could easily have gone the other way, felt sorry for yourself about being on your own for an extended period and comfort ate!
    I’m going to weigh in tomorrow so will update then.
    To be honest this has been a bit of a ‘meh’ trip for me – my heart just hasn’t been in it. I totally understand where you’re coming from Natalie as I’ve been much the same. Glad we are beginning another trip – thanks DCT.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

JGwen – sorry to hear you haven’t been well, but it was good to hear from you and your article links are always helpful and informative 🙂 please drop in and visit us again soon and let us know how you’re going 🙂

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hello fellow busmates, well I had intended weighing myself this morning but didn’t bother as I know fine well I haven’t lost any weight (I think I regained what I had lost)and couldn’t face seeing whether I had in fact gained instead!Sue like you I don’t think my heart has really been in this Jubilee Journey.I kept having days of real enthusiasm but they were few and far between.Well done to anyone who has succeeded in losing any weight or inches, Cathy 5lbs is brilliant, my willpower has totally deserted me this week.I know that it will just take a week or so of me eating totally healthily/low carb for my cravings to disappear but it’s just getting that week or so under my belt I’m finding hard.It’s DD’s birthday next week and we are having a family part next weekend so I’m debating whether to wait until a week on Monday to start properly or to just start straight away tomorrow and, as we are having the party at our house and making all of the food, I can make sure I have plenty of healthy options and just hope that in the next 8 days if I stick totally to low carb eating my cravings should hopefully be well on their way to going and I will be able to ignore anything I shouldn’t eat at the party!I currently feel totally bloated and grotty, I wonder if I could feel much difference within 8 days, thoughts anyone? Dawn X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hi Dawn and all on the bus 😊

Well I am this same as you Dawn I havlist anything either my heart has not been in it !!
    I was so pleased to hop on bus 🚌 with you all I gave myself a good talking to and I know I only have about eight weeks to turn this around until doc wants to redo my bloods and yet I still cannot stop eating too many carbs and sweet stuff😞
    I am not sure what to do feel fat bloated and fed up but I am so pleased to all of you who have lost well done 👍
    Enjoy rest of jubilee weekend
    Big hugs 🤗 nokie x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Dawn I hear you re birthdays – we have 6 family birthdays over the next 6 weeks, including my 3 daughters 🙂
    We had an early birthday tea for my eldest daughter as she’ll be away for her actual birthday, and it was at my house. I made a big platter of veggies, olives and hummus and that was popular with everyone. We had hot savouries too but I made sure I had filled up on the veggies and hummus first so didn’t eat too many.

I’m going to restart my weight loss journey in 10 days time, on 14 June. I’ve picked this day as it’ll be exactly 4 months to my daughters wedding, so I’ll have (Just) enough time to get to my goal weight. Next weekend we have my MIL’s bday celebrations and it’s also a long weekend here (for the Queens birthday) so it makes sense for me to restart then. Until then though I’m planning on eating healthy, on plan foods for the most part, and 16:8 TRE – I just wont be keeping to a calorie limit, especially on social occasions. I’m hoping that this will mean I should maintain over the next 10 days, but also feel better as I’ll be eating on plan foods.
    I made some pear and cinammon porridge for breakfast and am getting ready to go on a long walk soon.

I hope everyone in the UK is enjoying the special jubilee celebrations – I remember the street party our street had for the silver jubilee back in 1977, good times 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Realised I forgot to post my weight loss for this journey – it was a whole 600g (just over a pound I think)!
    I’m always trying to look for the positives though, so one thing I have enjoyed During this journey is buying some new winter clothes in size 16, and throwing away or donating my bigger size 18-20 clothes. I’m trying my best to enjoy the journey rather than just focusing on the end goal 🙂

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Morning Nokie,SueBlue and all.OK so I’ve faced the scales and have gained 2lbs on our Jubilee Journey.I feel as though this last few years I’ve totally gone back into yo-yo dieting mode instead of finding a way of eating for life.It seems such a long time since I first started the Fast800 and was having great success with it (until I totally sabotaged it) I think it was in 2019 and I honestly felt back then that I would never go back to my old way of eating but I totally have😩I really want to get back to feeling the way I did, it was so liberating having no cravings!Nokie I also feel (very) bloated and fed up but I read an inspiring post on the May thread by FlowersForever recently which reminded me how quickly we can make a difference so I’m starting today!Sue that’s a really good idea about the hummus and veg so I’m going to definitely include that in the party spread and try my very best to stick to that and I will also have some sliced meats/chicken and little bit of cheese.I’m not sure when our next Journey starts but will be on the bus.I may just post once a week but will try to catch up on posts every day.Here I go🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞………. Dawn X

on

Hello everyone, and a special welcome back to JGwen. I’d been wondering how you were doing and am really sorry to hear you’ve been so poorly, and hope you make a full recovery very soon.

Well done Cathy on your weight and inch loss. That’s really good news. But I’m sorry to hear of your other health problems and hope you find a way forward with those. Sue, Dawn, Nokie and Natalie I share your disappointment from this journey and I have also been struggling to stay motivated recently. Yes I’ve had various birthdays and special events – not to mention various busy and stressful times – but there will always be things like that going on. I’m just annoyed with myself that I’ve not been as strict on the days when I could have been. At one point during the journey I’d lost 4lb but that has now slipped back to a not particularly impressive 2lb.

The stupid thing is that for me the BSD does work. I know everyone finds things that do and don’t work for them, which should come as no surprise as our bodies are all so different. But I always find that when I stick to it properly a few days in a row the pounds start to come off. And the recipes in MMs books work particularly well for me. So all I need to do is stick to it properly and the end is in sight. But I really agree with you Dawn, that in the early days of BSD I honestly couldn’t see myself ever not eating that way again, but I’ve gradually slid back into too many bad habits.

Anyway, enough whingeing!! Every day is a new day and, like you said Dawn, we can soon start seeing a difference if we rein ourselves in.🙀

I will start up the new thread tomorrow. Just wanted to run the details past you first. I was thinking of Monday 6th June to Friday 26th August, which is a period of just under 12 weeks. For those of us in the UK it falls neatly between this Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend and the Bank Holiday at the end of August. So I’d wondered about a title along the lines of “The In-Betweeners”? As well as being the period between two Bank Holidays, it also represents where most of us are at ie in between our original weights and our target weights – so would hopefully be relevant to friends all around the globe.

But let me know what you think? Any name is fine by me, as long as we can all find each other 😀

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hello again everyone.DCT that sounds like a good plan to me for the next bus trip👍🚌 My day is going well so far but I’ve got bad heartburn which I know is caused by drinking water.I know when I’m about a stone lighter I don’t seem to get heartburn but any ideas to combat it would be useful in the meantime please.Dawn X

• posted by Nokie
    on

Hello again all!!
    Dreams come true I think that’s a brilliant name !! I am climbing back onto the bus as from Monday have given myself a good talking too we have street party tomorrow so I know it’s going to be tough but I will be back on 🚌 as I really need to do this Thankyou for doing the next thread let’s hope we can all help each other on the next journey
    Enjoy rest of weekend everyone here’s my 🎟 for the 🚌
    Lv nokie x

on

Hi All,
    Well, we’re both still here, I think?? Really, really p.ssed off with my weigh-ins as I’ve managed to reach 12stone again despite basically sticking to the BSD but upping my carbs slightly to around 50gms instead of the 20 that I lost all the weight on & getting my blood sugars in the ‘normal’ range. Hubby is 16st 13lbs.

Finally managed to get ourselves appointments to have our bloods done and the first in over 2 years docs appts to reassess our medications last Wednesday. Was a rather damp squib though as none of the bloods were assessed at the hospital due to being labelled incorrectly. Luckily we both had our annual diabetic check up with the diabetic nurse straight after our docs appts. so had bloods drawn again & doc will phone us Wednesday to reassess what we can drop off medication wise. He took me off my water tablets already so I’m hoping that it’s just water I’ve added. I think he’s going to take me off my blood pressure meds too as although my BP is always up at docs it seems I have ‘white coat syndrome’ & I’m currently sending my daily readings to one of the docs apps that apparently does wondrous things with them. lol I did give him 4wks of readings BUT the app knows best!
    Poor hubby is still having REALLY bad syncopies daily & there is still no sign of him having the spinal injections/nerve cuttings on his back that had been scheduled for April 2020 – so on top of the syncopies he still is losing the use of both his legs (used to be just 1 leg) intermittently. As this led to him losing most of his beautiful teeth (American Dentistry seems to be MUCH better than ours) when he hit a huge porcelain umbrella stand & smashed it to pieces & also to losing a great deal of skin off his leg on hitting a floor fan, it’s worrying for both of us. Doc has written yet again to his heart consultant & back consultant as he’s heard nothing from them in years.

I hope you are all enjoying the glorious weather we’ve been having recently. Hubby has been enjoying all the pagentry & we’re both hoping the concert today goes well. Although we can’t see it beating the Golden Jubilee Rock Concert – No way could that be beaten! We were lucky enough to have invites to that & OMG it was absolutely fabulous & something neither of us will ever forget. From walking through the Palace, standing on the red carpet & then wandering the gardens to watching all the warm-up acts in the numerous marquees in the grounds & then finding our seats in the 2nd row & centre stage, next to an aisle, looking behind us was the Royal Box. OMG what a concert & Paul McCartney at the end did a solo act then other musicians joined him for an hour after the BBC TV ended. It was truly wonderful & we were so, so lucky to be there. We hope the people who got the invites this year will enjoy it.

I’ve been enjoying listening to some music recently that makes the hair on my arms & back of my neck stand up & sends shivers down my spine – to me that’s the sign of a damned good singer. Caught BGT’s Loren Allred on you-tube & Tom Ball – OMG they have some tubes on them. I think Maxwell Thorpe too may have some musical tubes but ITV sound dept. didn’t make the best of his, which is a shame.

We’re both waiting for the blood results to come Wednesday, hoping they’ll be great again. I’m OK with 12 stone as I don’t think I look overweight BUT again I’d like some leeway so I don’t ever go above this. I’ve actually been reading on American Scientist & on New Scientist publications that Drs & the scientific community have discovered that older patients who are in the ‘overweight catagory’ of BMI live longer than those who have a normal BMI so…….??? Food for thought for some of us?

The last 2 buses haven’t been great for me & also some others I see. Maybe it’s third bus lucky for a lot of us? I’m going to wait until after our results to decide what to do. Maybe we go back to eating more fruits (missing our large fruit nutribullets, every morning) – the results will somewhat decide what we’ll do. Whatever, I’ve enjoyed our time together & I’m sorry that my bad brain fog has stopped me joining in more.

Love to ALL, Linda XXX

Please log in or register to post a reply.