JANUARY 2024 : Twelve week Reset one week, one month at a time to end MARCH 2024

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Don’t know what happened to my post but here goes again.

Margaret, my neighbours are not unfriendly on purpose. We think they are afraid of us a bit because we are English and they think we might start gabbing away in English. They are very family orientated and don’t even mix much with each other (there are about 14 houses on the lane). Maybe Wendleg can shed some light on it.

Nothing much to report here. Weight loss slowed down but that is only to be expected in week 3. Had a good nights sleep after taking 2 histamine tablets that the doctor said I should stop, but they do help. I take them because diabetics suffer from itchiness around the neck and chest which can drive you mad.

Anyway, hope you have all had a good weekend.

on

Heres a puzzle. I have just been skinning and deboning chicken thighs to make a fakeaway chicken skewers and my hands now smell strongly of fish. Go figure. Hubby says the chicken might have been fed on ground fish guts.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone
    Monday 22nd January : WEEK FOUR starts here , the month is nearly over and I hope it’s going well .

I’m in my ‘zone’ and feeling good so far .We did 2 meals over the weekend for a friend who is recovering from a hip replacement op and isn’t up to cooking etc yet .Hubby cooked a cottage pie and I only ate the meat and veg followed by a few berries and cream inside of apple crumble .Also yesterday was turkey, veg and hasselback potatoes which I was able to resist a well as Jamie Oliver’s treacle sponge !!!!

My halo is well polished :
    😉 😉

I’m very determined to feel good for the upcoming Greek wedding .Spent last week having to sort flight cancellations from Birmingham for family .Fortunately we are flying direct to Athens from Toulouse .

SG my situation is a bit different as I worked in the French education system for 30 years and had friends through my job . So I have never noticed French people being ‘shy’ with me or not being open and friendly .
    I think the key is being seen at various local events , the Mayor’s new year greetings, any ‘fetes de village’ etc where you tend to see the same people .I wouldn’t think the French would be afraid of you using English but they do appreciate Brits etc having a go .

I think it’s very variable depending on where you live and regular contacts you can have ? Hubby is a lot less confident in French but he has got to know several blokes in the village bar/café through a regular weekly get together .

Anyway have a good week everyone !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh and I wanted to remind anyone who needs a bit of inspiration for low carb meals .I really like

https://divaliciousrecipes.com

The recipes are easy and there are lots of ideas for meal plans etc

• posted by wendleg
    on

PS It’s JGwen’s birthday today !

Happy Birthday JGwen .We miss you and your inspiring reseach !

Hope you are well xx

on

Hi everyone, a new week, how have you all got on. My weigh in is tomorrow and it is day 21 for me. I am doing well and still having to lower my insulin injections. If you follow strict keto (and I don’t mean the fatty diet) and stick with very low carbs this is exactly what is supposed to happen. Following the 90 days to beat insulin resistance on the InsulinIQ site, you never know, I might actually get rid of the injections or be so low for them not to be wrecking my body. Sticking with 15 units tonight but down from 24 on 1st January.

Wendy, I would never speak English to anyone in France (except the English 🙂 . I live here and it is my responsibility to conform to French life in many ways. We had been here about 10 years before we found out the girls in our local wine co-op spoke English.
    She said it never occurred to her to speak English to us as we always did so well in French. However, French people I meet might not know I speak French (even though I get stuck sometimes). As for going to local events, we have been to everything, the Mayor’s New Year Welcome drink, duo-language quiz nights where you have to sit 50/50 French/English, franglais classes, zumba classes, vide greniers, fete de voisinage every year. People do talk to us, we are not ignored and they are never rude, what I am saying is we have not made any real friends. Never been invited to their homes – and yes I have invited them here but they refuse. We had a French neighbour who was classed as an incomer by the people on our chemin as they were new, so they were shunned, we became good friends but then they sold up and moved to Archechon where we visited them but it is a 2 hour drive so that stopped. We have been told we should have moved to a town rather than a very small community where everyone knows or is related to each other.

Anyway, enough of that. We have booked to go to a ‘pub’ quiz on Thursday being held at a local chateau and they are running an open buffet so no problems for me with the food. Only thing I am worried about is because we are all English and the owners are English it will be pies and sausage rolls whereas I would like chacuterie and cheeses etc. We can only try.

Have a wonderful week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick check-in as today is my weigh-in day. Sadly not good news, up half a pound against last Tuesday … just one of those small anomalies, but a little disappointing. However, I think I know why things have snarled up a bit …. too many nuts!!! Going to steer clear of then completely I think and see if that helps over the coming week. Only have two weeks left until our trip, so need to make this one count!

Best of luck everyone.

on

Hi everyone, don’t worry SunnyB. Now is the time to put every effort into the plan and you could still lose a few pounds.

It is my weigh in today and I have lost another 1lb, so that is 6lbs in 3 weeks. I think that is about it for this month as we are out on Thursday. I am still doing dry January and in two minds as to whether I will have a drink or not.

I think I have made a breakthrough with my health. I was getting breathless at even the simple things like dressing, showering etc never mind doing any exercise. I decided to try to slowly increase my stamina with the chair yoga, then moved on to mat yoga, then ordinary yoga for beginners or seniors. Yesterday I couldn’t get onto YouTube on the TV and was getting very frustrated but decided to try one of my usual aerobic DVDs (yes we still have them) and got out HipHopAbs with Sean T. I managed to do the full 30 minutes with no problems. Of course I was out of breath but it is a very hard routine but no more than anyone would be.

On that note, I have a theory. Today is exactly a year since my surgery which was quite major and took 3 months before I had the stitches and clips out totally (a bit at a time), then basically another 3 months to fully heal. I think my body was telling me to take it easy, not to rush. It was taking its time to heal itself. I have read about people who have had serious surgery having some sort of fatigue syndrome for a long time after and this just might be it. A year on maybe I am fully on the mend.

Next thing, I was up during the night again with symptoms of a near hypo with bloods at 61 or 3.29. I had some chicken and went back to bed. So I will be reducing the insulin yet again. I think by the time I see my doctor in March I will be almost insulin free or on a very low dose. This is also something that my body has taken its time to get back down to. Before the surgery I was on 7 units of insulin so I am getting close again, just taken a long time.

Set off for the main shopping area to return our new kettle which screeches. We had to turn back as the farmers are out protesting and blocking all the roundabouts. We knew about it but thought it was further away but it was the police blocking us so we didn’t add to any snarl up. Will try again tomorrow.

Have a good week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hope everyone has had a good week.

Sunny, it’s a blip, you know that. No real problem you’re so close to your goal weight it’s not going to be easy to lose much now. Nuts, oh! nuts they can be so addictive. I have to be very strict 4 walnuts but not every day!

S-g you are doing amazingly well with your insulin. You’ve done really well with your weight loss. Do you think as you reduce the ‘fat keeping’ insulin you will get the added bonus of easier weight loss?

Thank you Wendy for the website. At first glance there looks like there are a few recipes that I’d like to try.

Good news for me this week I’m finally back on track for my 1lb a week loss. I’m taking a ‘conservative’ approach this year, 1lb a week loss, and any more will be a bonus. Hopefully week 4 will be my bonus week this month.

Hope you are all close to your weekly/monthly goals.
    Have a good week.

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Afternoon everyone!
    So, week three weigh in today – gain of 2.2lb 😂 Not in the least surprised as it was my birthday, so we had family visiting and a couple of days of no holds barred food and drink! Back on track without issue though, so it’ll be off again next week I reckon.
    Swimming going okay – up to about 2k in an hour, but getting neck discomfort from having my head up too much trying to avoid the folk zigzagging around and chatting 😆 Need to find some lane only swims I can get to before I do myself a serious mischief! Hoping a massage on Thursday will work out the worst of the knots!
    Hope everyone has a good week – apologies I don’t remember who said what but my memory is terrible and if I’m on my phone I can’t easily take notes on who said what!
    Onward to week four!

on

Merhaba too you to Cpt35. Are you trying to lose weight. What is stopping you. You are here now so give it a go.

on

Good afternoon, just popping in to report my breathing is so much better. Did 30 mins of strenuous aerobics this morning. Later we had to go take a kettle back for a refund and had to walk to the After Sales which was quite a way from the car. Noticed I was walking faster and not getting out of breath. I think I might have turned a corner.

Reduced insulin to 14 units and BG was 84 the morning so I am happy with that, especially as I didn’t have to get up in the middle of the night to eat something.

Glad you are seeing some movement V. Yes, the reduction in insulin should make it easier for me to lose weight but it is only a small step from almost impossible (which is why I have to be so strict) to possible.

We are chatting with some prospective housesitters this evening. I hate doing it, talking to total strangers but it is the modern way. We just used to like them and invite them and wait to see if they accepted. Now its all whatsapp meetings.

Have a good week.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

It’s so good to hear that your breathing is getter better S-G 👍all you effort is working👏👏
    I have found this month very difficult & very different to last January when I joined you all here. I’m hopeful that I may have lost some weight this week after staying the same last week. I still haven’t returned to my pre Christmas weight but completed a 23 hour fast yesterday & will try again today to fast until supper. The dreary weather is certainly not helping me & I am finding it difficult to lose the taste for sweeter things that I re-acquired during the festive period. Oh well I will as usual keep plodding on trying to keep to my calorie allowance & eating low carb every day. I also need to increase my toning exercises although have been playing lots of bowls matches but sitting still too long on DuoLingo learning French! C’est la vie 😂
    I hope is staying healthy & doing well losing excess poundage?
    Margaret xx

on

Hi all, just popping in. Nothing to report, weight is the same, BG 80 insulin 14. We are going out tonight and it may be bad of me but I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully the food will be BSD friendly and I won’t have much to drink.

We are hoping we don’t have a problem getting to the Chateau as the farmers are protesting by blocking all the roundabouts, so police out directing traffic away. We have a major roundabout to face but won’t know until we get there as some of the reports are false. Friend put on FB this morning not to go to our local supermarket as all roads blocked. We were there at the time and came out with our shopping and there were no road blocks or protests. So you just have to find out for yourself as well as checking on Google. Anyway, I have the phone number in my contacts just in case we have to cancel.

Had a long chat with prospective housesitters and we were very pleased with them and their previous scores by other home owners. 5 stars on 26 sits. So we have booked them for our cruise in April/May.

That’s alllllllll folks.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g pleased that you’re finally getting over your major surgery and are feeling fitter again. Sometimes I wonder if we expect too much of our bodies after they’ve been battered and beaten up!

Margaret if you just keep on keeping on……. as s-g would say, you will lose those festive pounds.

Nothing much to report here. My small goal of just one pound a week seems attainable. I just have to take each day as it comes and stay on track and then the bigger picture will take care of itself!

on

Hi all, back again after my night out. It was a total disaster as far as the food was concerned. Yes, I did have a vodka and tonic and then a glass of wine but they wouldn’t have done as much harm as the meal we were served. I was looking forward to a really healthy buffet of cold meats, cheeses and salad. Not a bit of it. Here is the menu: soup of an undetermined flavour which obviously had potato in it due to the thickness, with which I had one small chunk of baguette as I thought that would be my carbs for the night. Then came out platters of food – mixed rice, potato chips to dip into a melted Camembert, pan fried potatoes, chicken coated in batter and deep fried, salmon coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried, burgers in buns with chips. dessert was a giant waffle (gouffre) with whipped canned cream and a sweet fruit cocktail. I cant remember what else as there was nothing I could eat. I told the owner who was serving and she offered to make me some of the chicken without the batter and then served it with pan fried potatoes. I did eat the meat out of the burger which hubby let me have his and he had my share of everything else. Not a single vegetable or salad except a garnish on the desert of 2 mint leaves.

She said next time we go she will cater for me. I told her I hadn’t mentioned my diet as to me a buffet was usually healthy foods and salads. She said no one eats salad at this time of year. Anyway, hopefully I will get something better next time. I am pretty annoyed she still charged me for a meal I couldn’t eat but she did try. BTW they are Australian and this reminded me of a typical Ozzie barbeque.

We managed to get there and avoid the protesting farmers by taking the back roads. Coming home we thought it was late enough (10.30) and the protests would be finish but they were still at a major roundabout but just clearing up and putting out the fires of burning straw and we managed to scrape past. Typical French protestors.

Well I won’t mention my weight although I am not sure how it went up when I came away starving but what I did eat was greasy. I will weigh a lot less tomorrow 🙂

End of saga.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl what can I say? Put it behind you, which I think you have. Life never follows a perfect straight line. Next time will be better!

on

Hi all, we have absolutely decided we won’t be going back to the chateau. The cost was outrageous at nearly €70 for a s–t buffet meal and 3 drinks (hubby had a shandy). We normally go to a more local restaurant on the first Monday of each month but as it will be my birthday and we are going somewhere special we decided to switch to the chateau quiz.

Anyway, most of the weight gain has gone and at least I am a little bit lighter that the same time last week.

No news so I will just wish you a happy weekend.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl is it 🥂🎉🎉🥂”HAPPY BIRTHDAY” to you?

Or, have we missed it in which case 🥂🎉🎉🥂 belated “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” to you.

Either way ENJOY!

on

No V, it is my birthday on 7th Feb. Just saying that the quiz is on my birthday so we wont be going as we have planned to go out on the Saturday after.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello everyone just reporting my 1.75lbs weight loss for last week but still not back to my early December weight so I keep plodding on. We have our youngest son staying for the weekend which is lovely but rather haywire catering. I will try to go lower carb from Monday. I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend!
    Margaret xx

on

Well done Margaret, 1.75lbs is a good loss for someone who, like me, is constantly dieting.

I am back to my last weeks loss and still hoping for a bit more by Tuesday.

Had a lovely message from grandson yesterday with a photo of his ‘new’ car, thanking me for putting money into his trust fund. I told him to thank his mum as she has put in most money and is the best mum ever. I think she was feeling a bit left out as both men (father and step-father) got involved with the purchase yet daughter knows as much about cars as they do – she is an engineer.

No news. Have a good week.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning S-G & thank you I am feeling relieved to have lost some weight last week & well done with your marvellous weight loss! Gosh a grandson with a car I’m assuming it’s not a toy one & he is old enough to drive? Time passing becomes so much more evident with seeing children & grandchildren growing up!😀
    I’m enjoying having our youngest son visiting us although I’m still worried about him finding a new work contract when his current one ends in a couple of weeks. I don’t think that parents ever stop feeling concerns over offspring or helping where we can. The so many times I have wished to have a magic wand to wave to solve any problems 🤔
    I hope you & everyone has a good week 👍🍀🍀
    Margaret xx

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Good morning everyone
    am afraid I have not been in the right frame of mind to address anything recently, least of all my intake of food. Can’t beat myself as I won’t achieve a thing that way. Plenty of food in, good organic food too. No excuse really but mojo went on vacation…
    I get notifications off the board and so am spurred to get back on this bus as no one else can do this for me.
    I had 2 hospital appointments this month with not really good outcomes, but hey ho ….I need to make changes and now!!
    I intend to weigh and record and will start from tomorrow morning.
    I hope everyone has had a good week and look forward to reading your results. xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

1960smp… You are right , noone else can do this for you but we are here to offer support when needed .Focus on your health , you say you need to make changes .. February is beckoning so you can reset for that month ??

Talking of which, I will set up a new February monthly thread in a couple of days and on we go . Well done everyone seeing results, however small . Sorry your château meal was disappointing ,SG .We don’t have many posh places close by , we would have to drive half an hour to Montauban where we have a couple of favourite restaurants .Hubby tends to go out for meals with mates more than me to be honest .
    We made another Sunday lunch for our friend who is very slowly recovering from her hip op and is in a physio centre.Hubby had made a steak and kidney pie.I made a cauliflower cheese and greens and an apple crumble.I am relieved that my cravings have not returned and the carb and sugar monsters are still in check so I could make my own food choices .I am definitely losing inches , will see what my monthly weigh in reveals .

Wishing everyone a great week and watch out for the new February thread !

on

Hi everyone. I am here today with my head hanging in shame. I have to admit to having a binge last night – vodka and then a cheese sandwich. I think I know what set it off. Not having anything forbidden for over 3 weeks and feeling a bit deprived. Then the food at the chateau and a couple of drinks. Then it was the weekend and I just gave in. It was the cheese sandwich that was out of character but it was like a drug knocking on my brain. I hope I have got it out of my system and ready to carry on. So I guess there will be no weight loss this week but will see tomorrow. Weight up a bit today but hopefully that is fluid and will have gone in time for my weigh-in.

It is not something that ever really happens to me and I don’t usually suffer from carb cravings. Just shows how a small deviation from plan can set off a chain of events. So this was a big surprise to me. Feel free to give my hands a slap.

Today it is so beautiful and warm at 16. Not bragging about France as I know it is pretty much the same in the UK. Hubby has gone for a walk but I am stuck in with the cleaner in case she wants something but I did aerobics this morning.

btw, Wendy, we don’t have anywhere decent to eat near us except our favourite place, Melange, which is about 20 mins drive. The chateau was actually 40 mins away. We won’t be going again. It was not their usual menu, they just put on easy food for the masses. We will stick to the first Monday in the month quiz at another local restaurant – again 30 mins away by country lanes. At least we get an actual meal there with a starter and main and only get dessert if you pay extra, which I never do.

Have a good week everyone and I will do my best to make amends.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g don’t ’hang your head in shame’, as long as you enjoyed that sandwich. Nothing worse than eating something, as you put it, ‘forbiden’ but not enjoying every moment of it. Sometimes a little of what we fancy really does do us good and can stop us from going totally off the rails. Remember the car analogy … you wouldn’t run through a red light, then say to heck with it, and crash the car into a wall etc.etc.

So we near the end of the month and I’m quite happy with my progress. Slow and steady for me this year. I’m keeping my goal very simple just 1lb a week. At the end of the first 4 weeks I’ve lost 4.6lbs and I’m quite happy with that. I have no deadlines or timescales I’m just being the ‘tortoise’ at the moment and not worrying about the ‘hare’!

Hope everyone has a good week.

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Morning!
    Sunshine-girl: don’t beat yourself up over food. No need to make amends or have a slapped hand; you lived your life and ate some food, it’s no big deal. I know how you feel, but feeling shame and guilt doesn’t help you. I’ve always been the same previously, but I’m determined to be kinder to myself and do things differently; life’s too short for shame, guilt or dusting skirting boards. You ate something at a moment in time that is in the past; just keep on keeping on looking forward not back.

Week four weigh in for me today – 5.6lb off, which undoes the birthday gain from last week and takes me down into the next stone bracket, so that’s nice. Only about 8 stone more to go 😂

Swimming again tonight – gave up last Thursday”s session in disgust after 45mins as I broke my fitbit in the pool 😡 New fitbit firmly strapped on my wrist so back I go tonight to work on technique and then have a slightly longer session booked Thursday evening to try and push my distance a bit further.

Have a good week folks – onward to week five!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Since when does eating bread and cheese result in shame and hand slapping?
    It is not shameful to feed our bodies — we need food to live. Some days our food choices are better for our individual metabolism and sometimes they aren’t the very best. On the whole Sunshine girl, you eat very carefully for your personal health issues. I hope your cheese sandwich was delicious.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

SG, just reiterating what others have said … don’t get caught up in negative emotions around one tiny transgression. We all know in the scheme of things it is but a drop in the ocean, you will I know, return to you usual measured approach and all will be well. No need for guilt or shame, so just do your usual stuff and keep us posted on progress as usual.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

S-G I agree with what everyone else has said so no hanging heads in shame over one transgression !! I always relax with allowing myself more calories over the weekend or else I would go nuts & not be able to really reduce my calories & go very low carb during weekdays. In fact my off piste has lasted into yesterday with our son still staying with us & us all drinking wine whilst watching a lot of StarTrek films & last night episodes of Picard taking us all down memory lane😂 It is important to live in the moment & enjoy it without any regrets. I will try to get back on track today but there is still an open bottle of rather nice red wine beckoning 🤔🙀only joking!
    Well done everyone with your encouraging weight losses in January. Roll on February when I will be trying much harder to more properly keep on track!
    Margaret xx

• posted by happysnap
    on

Good morning, and apologies in advance for ruining the positive vibe on this thread.
    I’ve been reading through the entire thread, and I’m feeling the positivity, but I’m wondering why I’m the only one who’s incapable of getting back on track after the Christmas period? I enjoyed myself of course but lost my self-control and willpower and just can’t seem to get back.

I am feeling miserable and depressed, watching myself make rubbish food choices, and feeling horrible, and worst of all my prediabetes symptoms are back and I’m worried that I’ve undone all my good work as my weight spirals back up.

I feel so stuck and don’t know what to do.

Every day I commit to starting today, and being “good” and I know I feel better when I’m sticking to the BSD but somehow every day I end up self-sabotaging and then throwing in the towel- if I’ve already had something off plan I may as well have everything. I’m even going into the shops and buying cake and cookies and bread…

I feel like I need some professional help honestly! And on the other hand I know that I can do it; I’ve done it in the past and I can do it again. But I just don’t know what is going to get me there.

Again, sorry for ruining this thread with my woes. I guess I just need to share.

S-g, thanks for all you’ve shared on the thread, I love your honesty its so encouraging. I hope for your sake you manage to get rid of the insulin entirely. And to everyone else, thank you for making up this wonderful thread. I wouldn’t stay sane if I wouldn’t know so many people ARE managing to do this!

• posted by Verano
    on

Happysnap I think we have all been there and me probably more than most. It’s never easy to get back on track.

I think the first thing you should do is stop beating yourself up. There’s just no point because it will achieve nothing apart from confirming in your head ‘failure’. That’s not the way to get back on track.

Why don’t you start with really small goals. For instance ‘just for today’ I won’t eat bead, or, I won’t buy cakes, or I won’t throw in the towel because I’ve made one mistake. On the other hand you could say ‘just for today’ I’m going to do TRE and not have breakfast till 10am, or I’m going to drink 1ltr of water, or I’m going to have dinner with green vegetables.

Trying to be ‘good’, or should we say ‘perfect’, is not easy for any of us. Ease yourself back in one step at a time.

Forget weight for a moment and just concentrate on your pre diabetes. Weight is important but no where near as important as carbs. You can be thin and still be prediabetic. You say that your symptoms are back and you know how good it is not to have them. So, for health and wellbeing, say to yourself before you eat carbs … this is going to make me ill … do I really need it? That might just help a little.

• posted by happysnap
    on

Verano, thank you for your reply. I needed to hear that!

I think my problem is that i’m a perfectionist and I do all or nothing- so if I can’t do it all, I might as well not try and I know how damaging and wrong this way of thinking is. Its something I need to really work on and focus on.

For today I’m taking 2 very small goals- thanks for the advice.
    1. Drink only water- and lots of it
    2. No cakes or biscuits.
    Everything else goes. i think I will add a small goal every day and hopefully, slowly, I will get there.

Thank you for your suggestions. They are so helpful!

• posted by Verano
    on

Happysnap

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” is a common saying that originated from a Chinese proverb.”

You’ve taken that very first step! Good luck!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Happysnap, Verano was absolutely correct, pretty much all if us have been there (I know I have) and there is nothing to be gained by beating yourself up. Getting stuck in a negative spiral just makes things tougher.

Your new strategy is sound and if it doesn’t work out exactly as you plan today, there is always a new day tomorrow. Remember, it doesn’t matter how often you fall, what matters is how often you get up. You have followed this way of eating before and you can do it again, so forgive yourself for being human, when you stumble or trip, dust off and try to make your next food choice a good one.

Finally, there is no need to apologise for ‘ruining the positive vibe’, this thread is here to support, encourage and gain advice. It is here for when things are tough, as well as when things are going well. So feel free to come and vent or rage as often as you need … someone will respond and offer a virtual hug. We’ll be looking forward to sharing your progress, so please keep us posted.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Need to report in on my progress for the week, as today is my weigh-in day and the last one for a couple of weeks, because we go away this weekend.

Anyway, having now weighed the same for the past five days, I feel my discard has been consolidated and can be confident in reporting now being 2lb from target. As someone who loses slowly, realistically it’s unlikely I can better that by much in the next couple of days …. and to be honest, I can live with not being exactly where I’d planned to be at this point.

Will be making an effort to keep control of things while we’re away (there will be some alcohol and a few more carbs though, no point pretending otherwise!) and then I can get back to it on our return.

Hope everyone is managing to close out the month content with their progress in January. And if it’s been a rough month for you, take a deep breath and make a fresh start for February.

on

Hi everyone. Weigh in today and for the end of the month and I have lost a total of 5lbs. Which to be fair was my goal for January although I know it could have been more.

Happysnal, you are not bringing down the vibe, we are here to support each other and I have done my share of being upset, especially with medical issues people must be sick of but they were/are always there for me. I know exactly where you are coming from Happysnap. I too am a perfectionist but I am also a control freak. If I lose control like at the meal I was at, it can completely throw me off track. The meal was on Thursday along with a couple of planned drinks but even on Sunday I was going over and over in my mind until I totally gave up. BUT again just for one treat, not for a week or a month or even a day.

I noticed, besides the nearly 2lb weight gain (I would have lost 7lbs), my BG has also gone up but not by enough to be a worry, enough to make me get back on with my usual determination.

Happysnap, your BG should be your main focus. So don’t worry if you eat too many calories as long as you can get rid of the carbs, and I certainly know what a difference they make to my BG immediately – negatively.

This is a new week and nearly a new month so onward and downwards. Lets all keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Many thanks for supporting Happysnap with lots of sound advice . It has happened to us all at some point, struggling with motivation ,cravings and the insidious carb monsters . Are you having to prepare meals for a family ? If the unhealthy , sugary foods are available you are going to eat them if you are feeling low . Don’t think about being ‘ good’, think in terms of making good choices for your health .Definitely go for short, attainable goals until you feel stronger Happysnap. Are you ‘eating ‘ your emotions ?? There are lots of books dealing with emotional eating which might help .I like Zoe Harcombe

” Why do you overeat ? When all you want is to be slim ”
    She talks about the emotions that drive over eating and offers useful strategies.

Can you think of the new February thread as a reboot point ?
    Start with this first week of February ?
    Stick with us HS xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

My end of month weigh in has showed a 3.6 kg / 8 lbs drop which is encouraging .I felt I had lost inches and my clothes felt different so that’s positive for me .I am enjoying filling in my journal .One month down, and onwards we go !

I will at sometime today set up the new February thread as we are into Week 5 xx

on

End of the month, well done everyone. Wendleg that is a great loss.

I feel like I am back on track and my weight loss is over the 5lb mark and I will still be counting what I weigh tomorrow as my January loss.

Happysnap and anyone else who is struggling or not able to get their mojo going – we all have bumps in the road. Mine was last week just for a couple of days. Funny how a small amount of carbs can really bring back the cravings. I think the secret is to just get rid of the carbs and, yes you will feel hungry at first, but that wears on in a couple of days. It is the carbs that keep promoting the hunger and cravings. A bit like the bad ex boyfriend who wont let go – kick him into touch and don’t look back – although I am a bit old for that but saw it on a dieting site.

I am still watching the Around the World in 80 Weighs and last night they were in America. They were being taught how to eat healthily in the face of so much junk. So they stuck to a massive burger with a bun and a pile of salad. For me it still looked like they were eating loads but one of them is over 350lbs and the others around 200lbs each. Despite all the fast food outlets they still managed to lose just over 2 stone between them. It is good they are not being picked out and weighed individually so it is not one against another. In the 3 weeks they have lost 85kgsm that’s nearly 14 stone. So it seems to be working. It is all about re-education.

Looking forward to seeing the new February thread Wendleg. See you all tomorrow.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy what a great start to the year. Well done! Certainly helps to keep the motivation going.

S-g, thanks, had forgotten about that program. Watched this afternoon not altogether sure this method will work. Would be interesting to see where they all are 6 months after the ‘experiment’.

Thank you in advance for the new thread.

For those with losses …. great! Onward to February!
    For those struggling … no problem, January had gone February is the new start we can all embrace.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, that’s a really impressive result for January, well done.
    Likewise, glad you were able to achieve your goal for the month, SG. I know at times it’s been a struggle, but you have stuch with it and reach your goal.

Seems crazy that a whole month is done already and we’re about to step into a brand new month. Have to say this is the first Jan in some years, that I’ve managed to focus and get the scales moving in the right direction. Think keeping the journal has helped me stay more accountable.
    Hope February works out well for us all 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new thread, folks !

FEBRUARY 2024 : TWELVE WEEK RESET ONE WEEK, ONE MONTH AT A TIME TO END MARCH 2024

Please log in or register to post a reply.