It works for older women too!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Don’t forget the ankles Frog! (I know I am a lucky woman)

• posted by Frog
    on

whoops – sorry, congratulations on the ankles too.

I don’t really think about my ankles too much. Probably because I have (had – they’re getting there) ginormous calves. When they are slim enough to buy the perfect boots, maybe I will turn my attention to ankles!

have a good day
    I’ll see the sea later – off to Dorset this afternoon!

• posted by OldTigress
    on

Starting today. Nice to other”mature” women having success. I ‘m 62 and don’t want another heart attack or slowly die of diabetes. I’m a nurse and have seen what can happen. Wish me luck!

• posted by Bianca Bear
    on

Yes lots of luck Old Tigress. Me too 62 and Nurse, started on Monday and actually managed to stick with it! Good luck I am sure you can do it! Barbara

• posted by annie2
    on

Lots of nurses here !! I am one too !!
    I started last sunday, too scared to get on the scales !! Uniform is feeling looser though.
    Going ok, lots of planning & I have just got the recipe book which looks great.

I am drinking lots of water & using the stairs instead of the lift.
    I havent felt hungry yet but its early days.
    I really want this to work as I am fed up of being fat !!!

• posted by Lifeafterfifty
    on

Hi skinnyjeans, I think preparation is probably the key to staying on track, like you I am in my first week and things are going really well as far as sticking to the eating plan. I have a little notebook that I am writing my per day meal plans into it has room for exersise notes and how much water I am drinking etc on each page but small enough to fit into my handbag and it goes with me so I have it for reference. I wrote the food plans out as I did my weekly shopping list- which is a new habit I am forming i would usually just pick up each day or two as I am in town- each page has my work roster timing so I can make notes like today I start at 17:00-20:00 so had noted need to get up at normal people time so can eat meals at regular times and have light dinner before I start work so I am not eating my dinner at 21:00 tonight. As mentioned before I almost always work thru a lunch or dinner time so I am trying to modify my day so my evening meal is no later than around 19:30hours. On my day off I did some extra cooking of meals that can go into the freezer so I can quickly microwave a meal and add salad or vege. I also have emergency food available like hard boiled eggs in the fridge, and some unsalted mixed nuts. If I am really hungry I will reach for one of those options and add the calories into the daily amount. I hope there is something there you may find useful and keep posting skinnyjeans, and everyone else too even when I am not posting I am reading as they hit my email you are all great encouragement and helping me to keep on track.

• posted by Soon to be retired
    on

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I let you know of my results.

• posted by anjiejag
    on

I have been feeling a lot better these last few days. I completed a long walk with my friend today without feeling uncomfortable and tired at the end of it. I think cutting out sugar has helped a lot. I am on week 2 of the 8 week diet at the moment. I had the Moroccan meatballs today and they were very enjoyable!! Still got a very dry mouth and I have increased my water intake.
    Keep going ladies!!

• posted by anjiejag
    on

What a great story yours is. I hope that my blood sugars will be lower in another 7 weeks’ time as I do not want to take the tablets! This forum is helping me a lot,especially when I realised I wasn’t on my own anymore. Good luck,everybody!!

• posted by Aria3
    on

Not far away then I am in Rustington! Perhaps we can get together and go on a shopping spree when we get to where we want to be !

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Aria – see you in Waitrose in a few weeks. I hare clothes shopping so not your best companion for that.
    Not so good today. Wine & cheese ‘do’ tonight with friends – rude not to join in. Back to strict BSD tomorrow.

• posted by Aria3
    on

Billingebabd Not far away then I am in Rustington!

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

11 days completed. Bit of a glitch on Friday night with wine and cheese tasting but no bread or crackers passed my lips. Weighed this morning – 8lbs down but my waist has reduced by 4 inches! Bra is on the middle not the last fastening and my legs are also noticeably slimmer. Still very energetic and driving Mr BB mad.
    Aria – I’m in Arundel. Very busy over the next few weeks but will try and arrange a meeting, complete with buttonhole for identification, in a couple of weeks. Shame that there is not a pm facility on this site.

• posted by Sazzle50
    on

Hi Ladies, I’m 50 and starting BSD tomorrow. Could I join you?

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

Of course Sazzie but 50 ain’t old. Personally it is the most maneagable diet I have been on but it only works, in my opinion, if you plan. So welcome and keep us updated.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Planning is key.

Cleaning out your cupboards is key.

It is far to easy to slip up if there are simple carbs etc. in the house.

If i wasnt retired i would also bring BSD foods to work … if there is a staff room even better.

Age 50 is practically young. 67 myself!! 🙂

• posted by Silverngold
    on

May I join you? 61, overweight despite years of trying (3 stone in 5 years is slow going!). Not a fan of exercise but I do like a swim a couple of times a week, for about 30 mins a session.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Silverandgold. I’m just retired this year, age 67, Need to loose about 70 more pounds. I am not a big fan of exercise but i do enjoy walking, aquabics, some gym equipment, and i would like to do yoga.

• posted by Silverngold
    on

Thanks Shalimar. I did Yoga quite some years ago and found it very relaxing. I still use the back massaging movements if needed and even my husband has adopted a variation of it. Good luck to you and I hope the weight falls steadily away.

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Did anyone just see the Panorama programme about diabetes? The blasé attitude of some folk featured was amazing and so sad, to think they could turn things around with this or similar eating regimes. It implied the only solution for many was bariatric surgery, although they had to,follow a diet of 800-1000 cals per day for 4 weeks to shrink their livers. If they had just carried on, they might have been able to avoid such surgery.
    Thoughts anyone?

• posted by Avila
    on

not caught up with that yet, but not the only relevant BBC piece tonight (see my new thread)

I don’t get why 800 cals is so frowned on and then commanded for others – and after surgery be as limited for life….

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just watched it on iplayer.

I was nearly in tears 😢 The medics seemed to be one step behind Prof Taylor and two steps behind Dr M and the BSD. If that’s the case, we must have a long struggle in front of us before the medics get to where we are. 😱

They’ve accepted that bariatric surgery can reverse diabetes, but will,only operate after the patient has been on 800-1000 calories a day for a month. I wonder how the woman who had the surgery will progress. Her diabetes has been reversed, but she was shown eating soup- all 6 teaspoons of it as a meal. The risks of surgery, then having food so severely restricted! Is it not better (and kinder, not to mention less expensive) for the patients to be on the BSD?

I do understand that the powers that be want proof that it’s effective and sustainable. But how much proof do they need? There are many case studies on here. Yes, it’s anecdotal. But Imhave been asking myself for the last few hours – is it ethical to withhold information about this approach? The patient is given choices, but they are limited and hugely expensive. The talk of the cost to the NHS, that the NHS can’t cope, that the NHS may have to choose which diseases to treat!

Us old-timers on here said many months ago that we were saving the NHS lots of money in reduced prescriptions for diabetes and associated meds. But after watching Panorama tonight, we are saving them many thousands of pounds in reduced hospital admissions, procedures and aftercare.

By the way, did anyone else watching notice that the lady who had her leg amputated had a bottle of Ribena at her bedside? And the man on the diet before bariatric surgery was having porridge for his tea. (But his breakfast before the diet was 4 Weetabix, topped with Shreddies and washed down with a pint of tea😱)

If you’ve not watched it – it’s well worth seeing. Perhaps it should be shown to every newly diagnosed type 2!

Sorry for going on, but it really got to me.

• posted by Suoon2bthinner
    on

Lynne, what amazed me was that ‘old woman’ was only 56!! She looked about 20 years older! I did notice the Ribena, the continuing lack of education and insight was staggering.

• posted by Verano
    on

I saw the program and found it really ‘sobering’!!

I also hate this idea that bariatric surgery is offered almost matter of factly. I’m sure that all of these patients are told to lose weight prior to this last step, but I’m not sure that they’re given the correct tools.

The biggest problem I see with bariatric surgery is that it could be seen as a ‘quick fix”. People aren’t being re-educated food wise and maybe still don’t understand the risks of diabetes. Bariatric surgery isn’t always a cure all as some people do manage to put weight back on in time! Liquidised mars bars!!

On a serious note … if that program didn’t scare every diagnosed diabetic to take care of themselves then I don’t know what will.

Let’s just stick to this trail moving us all to better health!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano *waves*

Many years ago I watched a programme about stomach stapling. A woman featured had the surgery performed four times. Yes, four times! First time she realised she could eat liquidised Mars bars! Then various things happened, leading to the repeat ops. Three of which were on the NHS 😱

Again, many years ago my mother was in hospital and I was speaking to her surgeon. As well as the op she was having, he also performed stomach stapling and each time Imsaw him it seemed he was looking at me as a prospective patient so I wrapped my coat more tightly round me. And I had seen some of his patients post-op!

I was, for the want of a better word, surprised earlier this year when I read that bariatric surgery would be routinely offered to all diabetics.

Perhaps the programme will lead people to get their bloods checked so if they are diabetic or pre-diabetic it will be picked up early. And for those who have already been diagnosed hopefully it will lead people to take more care of themselves. But as long as the current guidelines are in place I do worry about the future

It was also concerning what was said about the form of diabetes that children are being diagnosed with being “more aggressive”.

Hi Suoon2bethinner 😃

I did think that about the woman! Thinking about the Ribena – years ago my aunt was diagnosed with diabetes shortly before her 60th birthday. It had been missed and when it was finally detected she was immediately admitted to hospital. On the ward was a woman, also diabetic, who drank neat fruit squash. Yes, the squash you dilute – she was drinking neat, straight from the bottle! Makes my toes curl to think of it😱

• posted by anjiejag
    on

I watched the programme,too and it brought it home to me just how damaging this condition can be. Since starting on the BSD I have spoken to quite a few people who have been diagnosed with type2, just in the village where I live! Even Theresa May is a diabetic,as she revealed on TV this morning. As a nation, we really need to wake up and address this ‘epidemic’. I was astonished to learn how much this is costing the NHS. I never considered myself to be much overweight and didn’t consider myself to be a big eater of carbs and sugar. What a wake – up call!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne😀😀

I’ve also seen the results of bariatric surgery and personally I’d rather be fat!!!!

Seriously, I wonder about the wisdom of ‘routine ‘ bariatric surgery as ‘cure’ for diabetes. I think that at the end of the day less maybe spent on treating diabetes but I think the mental health bill will escalate . Why would anybody be happy to spend the rest of their lives eating ‘6 teaspoons ‘ of soup when they could have good, nutritious low carb ‘real’ food!!!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    Anjiejag, Theresa May is T1 diabetic, rather than type 2, causes and risk factors are significantly different I believe.

Someone I worked with had bariatric surgery about a year ago – she has lost weight, but no more than people on this forum (less than you I believe Lynne) – and ended up with a very calorie restricted diet.
    In the period that I worked with her, she wasn’t making particularly informed choices (pizza, albeit in v small quantities, sweet flavoured yogurts with commercial muesli), and made with the knowledge that if she over indulged, she’d be sick anyway.
    When I discussed it with her, she said it effectively gave her a year to change her eating habits.
    I don’t know whether or not she was diabetic, but I don’t see what the surgery added that she wouldn’t have got from a year of BSD

• posted by Sazzle50
    on

Hi, I have recorded this program and will watch it tonight, I’m hoping it will give me a kick up the butt to sort myself out. There was a very interesting program on before it, but not sure if it was just in Wales called Fat v Carbs where a Welsh news reporter went on a high fat low carb diet for 3 weeks. Long story short, he amazed his GP (who didn’t want him to do it) by losing a stone in weight and lowering his cholesterol from 5.6 to 4.9!

I’m on my second day and going well so far!

• posted by Silverngold
    on

I watched the diabetes report on Panorama and the Fat v Carbs programme (Wales only I think, but anyone could watch on iplayer I guess). Both interesting and thought provoking. Have we been given incorrect advice all these years or is it, as my other half thinks, down to the individual to monitor their own consumption? As a crisp eating, toast loving chocoholic it has been difficult trying to stay away from the bad (yummy) stuff.

• posted by Verano
    on

Have just watched Fat v Carbs and it was very interesting. It differs from this plan in that there is no calorie counting so it’s way over 800 a day. Also, as somebody else noted, this is based on ‘Healthy’ not ‘High’ fat but nonetheless interesting.

I just wonder what the downsides are to low carb eating, must do some research!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Silver gold – since the 1960s we have been told to eat low-fat, high carb. And when did the obesity epidemic and diabetes epidemic first begin? Low-fat products often have high sugar content.

Slimming clubs have gone down the low-fat route and, in general, do not encourage healthy eating. Their products are low-fat, but often high carb.

Even many of the sliced cooked meat products we buy today have added sugar!😱

Being “good” and listening to the advice given is what led many of us to where we are now😱 Or where we were when we started our BSD journey. It takes a lot to reverse the low-fat, high carb way of thinking. But many of us are living proof of the benefits.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I watched the Panorama programme too. If that doesn’t keep us diabetics on the right path nothing will. I’m just thinking “guillotine amputations” to keep me focused!

• posted by Silverngold
    on

Captain Lynne – agree with your comments. I have never been a fan of low fat foods, they always seemed too sweet and glutinous. When I found out what is put in to replace fat it was no wonder they were glue like.

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

lots in common here. 163cm, weight 13stone at start, nearly 70, also live in West Sussex, lost 25lb so far after 11 weeks (but 4 of those weeks have been working away ftom home). Can just get on some of my old size 14 clothes (yippee).

Best thing today was that I had some news which was very stressful but I didn’t reach for the bread for marmite sandwiches – my previous go to stress reliever. I didn’t even think about it. If this diet has conquered my comfort eating then that makes me feel very happy.

• posted by Bianca Bear
    on

Completed my first week and lost 6lbs, 2″ off of waist. Delighted just need to keep at it must be doing something right! Helped by reading all of your stories. Thanks

• posted by Roma61
    on

Hi, my first day here. I’m 61, 13 st. 6. I’ve been doing BSD for 4 weeks. Slow weight loss of 8lb. Help!

• posted by Aria3
    on

Hi Billingebabe and all, away until the end of the month and things are much harder than being at home. Cutting out the sweet stuff and trying to cut down on carbs. Have a constant pain in my foot like a nerve pain on top of my foot. Bit frightening…..all though feeling better in myself.

Keep going you are all sounding so positive!

• posted by anjiejag
    on

Hi Roma,
    Are you doing any exercise? I have been walking for 30 mins 5 times a week and that helps a bit. Swimming also helps if that is something you enjoy.My weight loss is also slow. I have been on the BSD for two weeks and so far I have lost around 2lb and an inch off my waist. I am not worried,though,because I probably need to lose around 28lb and I don’t think it comes off quite so quickly when you are older,like me. (I am 70 in Nov).

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

My weight loss has slowed down at the 2 week point, lost half a pound since Saturday, but am feeling really well & motivated. Two glasses of wine last night (book club!) but under 1000 calories in total for the day & drank a lot of water alongside the wine. Am being very strict with myself most days & not letting the very occasional ‘off piste’ day affect my motivation. In the past I admit to wanting to say ‘sod it’ when I have deviated. Will try to stick to 600 calories today to balance out the week. However have a big night out tomorrow. Am secretary of my local festival (voluntary) and we have been nominated for best festival in Sussex award so might end up with a glass of champagne!
    Am very impressed by oldbluejeans weight loss – I would love to see size 14 again. Now in size 16 trousers but couldn’t get those on 2 weeks ago. I think measuring success by weight loss is not always the best way – the ‘trousers of truth’ are more motivating for me than the scales. But most important to me how my energy levels & sleep pattern have dramatically improved. I really did feel very unwell most of the time and although, at almost 70 I expect the odd twinge, I really wanted to feel the best I can.
    Aria – hope the foot pain improves and keep in touch. I hope you are going somewhere lovely.
    Off now to do some more declutttering. Kitchen cupboards yesterday – how come so much stuff was out of date?

• posted by Roma61
    on

Hi anjiejag no exercise. Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong. Since I put on this weight energy level has dropped but reading posts I realise now that exercise is as important as diet.

• posted by Sneakysnooper
    on

A great big “Howdy, Y’all!” from Texas. 🙂 I’m not sure I’m in the right thread. I certainly qualify as an “older woman,” having just turned 69, and I’m definitely round enough, but I’m not diabetic. I’ve spent the past several hours reading your posts–celebrating with you, commiserating with you, cheering you on, shaking in my boots (Wellies?) with you, and I’d like to get to know you better. This is such an empowering, purposeful, joyous, supportive group, I’d really like to stay for the journey. As we say in the Lone Star State, “Herd ’em up…move ’em out!”

• posted by Mommy Teacher
    on

Hi Sneaky snooker
    Indiana here. Just starting. 5 lbs off in last week. Older woman myself. Not quite at 800 calories each day but not going over 1000. Hunger is an issue but hanging on to get off meds.
    Mommy Teacher, Sherry

• posted by Sneakysnooper
    on

Good on you, Mommy Teacher, Sherry! You’re off like a rocket. I’m starting today, October 5th, after reading the article in Woman’s World. Amazon says the book will ship in one to four weeks, so I’m winging it until it arrives. Fortunately I’ve found lots of good information here, and am adopting the 800 calorie approach.

I’m motivated in part by Dr. Mosley actually speaking the “C” words–CALORIES COUNT. In the course of my seven year odyssey I have been told on podcasts, read in books, and heard in interviews that provided we eat right there’s no need to count calories: satiety will cause us to naturally restrict calories, bringing about improved health and secondary weight loss. All I can say is, what is this word “satiety” they speak? My gauge must be broken because my tank always seems to be empty. Dr. Mosely offers a different approach and I’m excited to take this new direction. Calories count…what a novel approach, lol!

• posted by irishgran
    on

Hi there, I have just registered for the site, though have been looking at it for some weeks now – very inspiring. hubby and I have changed our eating habits loosely based on the BSD; we are not diabetic or pre, but both needed to lose some weight. It certainly works, after about 7 weeks he has lost about 10kgs and I have lost around 7-8 (seem to be at a bit of a plateau at the minute!). Due to old injuries am unable to exercise, and am hoping that a few more kgs off will help the foot/opposing knee problems. I have just turned 64 (where I ask myself did that number come from!!) After spending time reading through the many posts, it seems to me that we have all been hoodwinked by big business……namely the sugar game; when our youngest was 14 she was diagnosed with T1 and from that time we have become well versed in looking at the labels on food etc and I quickly discovered that in about 99% of cases, recipes could be adapted, primarily by cutting out 75% of the ‘sugar’ called for, with minimal noticeable difference to the taste etc. It was quite an eyeopener. We watched Michael Mosely on the TV doing quite a few ‘health’ type programs and what he said made sense to us; and it was backed up with science. We are in danger of becoming ‘born again’ foodies, as people start to notice our weight loss and ask us about it; we get on the bandwagon, lol. Among our best finds so far, are cauliflower rice. sprinkled with various herbs and spices and besan or chickpea flour, teff flour and buckwheat flour.
    It is great to find a good supportive group of like minded people, so wishing all good luck on the journey to a healthier self.
    cheers from downunder

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sneakysnooper

While you are waiting for the book to arrive just type ‘ daily mail eat to beat diabetes’ into your search bar and a series of articles by Michael Mosely will come up. That are based largely on the new recipe books but also each day he gives the basics of BSD.

Not sure but I think the first one is dated September 23rd 2016.

Good luck!

• posted by anjiejag
    on

Hi there,
    I have just weighed myself after being on the BSD for two weeks. I have gone down from 75kg to just over 72kg and have lost 1 and a half inches off my waist. My husband is also on the BSD with me and he is not type2. His blood sugars came back as normal. A friend of mine has also joined in and she is not diabetic either. She went out and bought the book last weekend. Then we raided the local supermarket to buy some of the more unusual low carb items. I can’t stick to 800 calories a day either,but I am making a conscious effort to avoid too many carbs and sugars. I am terrified of being type 2 and am absolutely determined not to start on the tablets and insulin route. I just hope my blood sugars will return to normal at the end of the next 6 weeks. Does anyone else get scared about this?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone, especially the new folks. Seems there’s a lot of ‘older’ women on this plan. Definitely ‘re-cycled teenagers’?

Sneakysnooper – where in Texas? I’ve visited many times, friends used to live in Austin, now near Elgin.

If you’ve got a Kindle or Kindle app, the books are available on there.

Verano mentioned the Daily Mail articles. The first of this series (advertising the new recipe book) was Saturday 24th September 2016, but there was another series earlier this year, advertising the original book.

angijag – Imthink most of us type 2s have found our blood sugars have dropped, many going back to either normal or pre-diabetic levels. I was on the point of being given medication when I started the BSD and always struggled to get my fasting reading below 7, but now all my tests come back in the normal range.

Again, welcome to all the newbies – best wishes for your journey. And please keep posting your progress. And read these forums – lots of advice and support on here.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone.

This ‘old lady’ now weighs exactly 7 st less than when she began this journey. At 9 stone, its many a long year since I was at this weight. Stay with it, it is doable, and sustainable.

Best wishes for your BSD journeys.

• posted by Verano
    on

Great news Lynne! How long is it now since you started maintenance ?
    How are the contacts going?

Please log in or register to post a reply.