Is there anyone doing this plan that has an underactive thyroid?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jackieharris
    on

I’m going to give this a bash starting today. Obviously it;s not impossible for me to lose weight, but it such slow going using things like weightwatchers or similar that I end up losing the will to live. I take thyroxine every day. While it has solved many of the knackered thyroid problems, I have been left with too much weight still to lose. I need to lose 4st to get back into the middle of the healthy BMI zone. I’ve been slogging away at WW for the past 6 weeks, and have lost 6lbs. Obviously its in the right direction, I feel the effort I put in compared to the result I get just doesn’t tally. Just wondered if there was anyone else out there with an underactive thyroid who has had success here. x

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Jackie, I take thyroxine too. I have been on the bsd for 5 weeks and 3 days and I have lost 11kg. The diet works!!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Hi I take eltroxin for thyroid. When was the last time your levels were checked. My levels started to go all over the place after being good for a couple of years. Doctor checked Petuitory gland (I’ve no idea why but something to do with the signal it sends) and it was working overtime so he changed my prescription slightly. And I seem to be much better. If you haven’t been checked for awhile would suggest organising check up as it does take a while to get it right.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Sorry you have hypothyroid but pleased I am not the only one! I am on 150mg Thyroxin and have not felt “normal” since I turned 30, which is when I began to have symptoms. That aside. This diet does work, even though the underactive thyroid makes the metabolism sluggish. The fact that it is low cal seems to make the body work better. I don’t lose as much as everyone else, but I do lose each week. I have around 6 stone to lose and am aiming for little victories as it seems more achievable. Keep going….we can let each other know what recipes we enjoy and how to banish the blues. Take care xxx

• posted by Jackieharris
    on

Hi – thanks for you comments. good to know that it works 🙂 I’ll let you know how I get on.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My OH has an underactive thyroid. He’s been vaguely doing the BSD for a bit. Lots of friends have started to comment that he’s lost weight. So even though you may lose more slowly than other people here, it definitely will work.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I take 100mcg thyroxine a day I’ve been doing 800 for 2 weeks and have lost 4km and feel great,no problems.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Jackie and Co

In 2006 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and other thyroid and adrenal issues…they are all linked, I tried the Thyroxine meds twice and they made me “crash,” ambulance, hospital crash, so I avoid them at all costs. My TSH count has been as high as 25 at the highest, normal is 4.5. I have felt fairly shabby at times and weight loss was never going to happen no matter what I tried.
    365 days ago, on this very day, I decided to try BSD for 8 weeks if I could, or the two weeks that MM suggested in his book. I am still on it, I have my life back, I feel like I did as a 20 something and I am 64. My family and friends are warned I am positively dangerous.

My weight loss was slow but continual so it kept me smiling. In October after 35 weeks I reached 66kg (10st 3lb) a loss of 19kg (3.5st) and have stayed within a sniff of that since. My plan was to switch to 5:2 when I came off Fast 8 Week, however I feel so jolly great I am staying on a low cal, low carb affair until whenever. I’ve raised cal count to 1000 some days but have hardly ever gone to 1200 in a year. Carbs 30 to 50g on average and I eat well, very well therefore it looks so unlike a diet. I am physically active each and every day, with ease.

MY TSH COUNT LAST WEEK WAS 5.2, AS NEAR AS NORMAL AS IT HAS BEEN IN 10 YEARS AND SO CLOSE TO NORMAL IT IS TANGIBLE. I HUMMED A TUNE AND DANCED A BIT FOR HOURS AFTER THAT. Thank you Michael Mosley and team.

This is purely anecdotal however I think this BSD diet is an all rounder for inflammatory conditions, immune system problems as well as the diabetes.

Hypothyroid folk out there take heart, there is light at the end of the tunnel and the tunnel ain’t that long.

N.

Please log in or register to post a reply.