Is BSD only for those who need to lose weight?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frugalsnail
    on

I am slim, always have been.
    My problem is my blood pressure seems to be high. I’ll be 70 next year in July. Still working and keeping busy.
    My GP has allowed me to try diet and exercise – although my diet is pretty good before trying meds. I don’t eat sweets, cakes etc.
    I was put on a diuretic quite recently and fainted at work, so they took me off it. 24 hour ambulatory monitoring showed my BP OK but monitoring at home it is high – usually over 160/90 and it was high in the GP surgery.
    I decided to go vegan again (I did this before 5 years ago for high blood pressure and it worked). I went on a strict vegan diet for a month, monitoring my blood pressure every day, at least twice a day. My blood pressure is still high.
    I’ve been trying the BSD for a couple of days. I didn’t sleep well last night. I get hypnic headaches and usually take a coffee before bed, which stops the headaches. Maybe I won’t tonight.
    Quite enjoying the food, more fat, courgetti etc.
    Just wondering if this diet is meant for those who do not need to lose weight and if it will bring my blood pressure down and, if so, how long it will take.
    Anyone else like me in this group?
    Thanks!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Frugalsnail, sounds as though you are looking after yourself pretty well. You may not be overweight but have you heard of people being TOFI’s – that is thin outside fat inside, where you can be really skinny but fat has accumulated on your vital organs causing various problems that come with age (or before if you are unlucky). Try the low calorie/ low carbs for the 8 week recommendation and then see if it has done you any good. Honestly, if you dont have the weight on you it is difficult to lose a lot of weight. I use this diet for my diabetes and the most important part for most health problems is the LOW CARB – that doesnt just mean cutting out cakes and sugar but also things like potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereal, bread and so on. You like the courgetti so you have an idea of carb replacement – I had lasagne last night but with courgette strips in place of pasta. For four years now I have kept myself well, improved my diabetes, cholesterol etc and last week my BP reading at doctors was 110/70.

• posted by Frugalsnail
    on

Thank you, Sunshine-girl. That is encouraging. I’m certainly eating a lot courgettes on this diet. I hope my blood pressure drops. I’ll keep on it for a few weeks and keep checking my BP. I will try your lasagne with courgette strips instead of pasta. Thanks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Also great with aubergine strips (I cook them for a short time to soften first). You can use them in layers like pasta or put them on top with a cheese sauce as in aubergine parmegano (excuse spelling). Taking a break for Christmas and New Year now.

Please log in or register to post a reply.