Introducing me…..now on Week 2….and in a different head space!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shazandtribe
    on

Hi all! I just wanted to introduce myself although I have never posted on a forum before – eek! I was diagnosed Type 2 about 2 years ago, put on Metformin, which has been increased twice. My BSL’s have always been all over the place, and I was gestational diabetic on insulin. I have tried to lose weight since the diagnosis but there is lots of psychological stuff going on for me, so I never stuck to anything for a long time. Also, I am a full-time student, and single parent with 5 kids currently at home, and the idea of cooking different meals never appealed to me.
    BUT I was at the point where insulin was the next option, and I do NOT want to go there. So here I am. I am not particularly counting calories, but I know that my intake is where it should be and I am trying to be guided by how I feel. Generally, I have not been overly hungry so far, and getting my head around stomach gurgles being digestion and not hunger. I am very much tempted by the sight, smell, or thought of food, and this is something I am conquering step by step. Although one day I did have a banana. I have not had cravings particularly, headaches or any other withdrawal “symptoms”. I lost 2.5kg (5lb?) the first week and next weigh day is Monday. I am enjoying the food and have found that it is easy enough to adapt to suit the rest of the household. Generally, I have berries and yoghurt for breakfast, a soup or salad for lunch, nuts or vege sticks in the afternoon, and meat with veges for dinner. Eggs at the weekend.
    Exercise is coming – I have walked every second night and will step this up (see what I did there?!) in the days to come (I am working in the evening at present). The big news is that my BSLs really are coming down. They have normally been over 10 and up to 16, always at least 10.2 in the morning. Now they are sitting around 7.8 – 9, and the morning readings are more like 8.2. A big big change, and I can only see improvement from here.
    My GP is very supportive, and I showed her the book. She recommended the 5:2 to continue with and is hopeful (as I am) that I might be able to come off Metformin in due course! Woo hoo! That is my ultimate goal. I know this will work, because 2 years ago my son was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. He lost 44 kg (now 80kg) in the past 24 months by eating low calorie and exercising. He is now super healthy, reversed his diagnosis, and looks amazing.
    One of the big things for me as I said, was the psychological stuff, such as disbelieving the diagnosis (generally asymptomatic), learned helplessness (“I’ve got it now, can’t do anything about it”), and all of the eating stuff (love food, carb addiction etc, and driven by different senses for food). I have been studying Psychology full time for 6.5 years now, am very nearly graduated, and am happy to offer any thoughts on “head stuff” if anyone cares to share here. Take care everyone!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Wow, it sounds like you are in a really good place to make big changes to your diet and lifestyle. It’s such a good feeling to take control, isn’t it? And your bloods look very impressive and definitely heading the right way. Your son sounds very inspiring too; you can see that it can be done.

Like you (?) I’ve often dieted and thought ” well, I’ll give it a go, but I can’t do that bit, or this bit ” but now I realise that I can and have. I’m on week four, I’m staying at my daughter’s as she is near to giving birth to her second child and has been unwell, but I’ve still stuck to it, whereas before I would have found this an excuse to give up. I feel so much better in my self and very positive, and it sounds like you do too.

So, hurray for us! We CAN do this!

Best of luck.

• posted by shazandtribe
    on

Thanks Bissell,
    Yes, I am feeling very positive. Previously, I have often had the attitude that if I ate something “naughty”, then I had spoiled the whole day and would get back on track the next day. Usually the “naughty” thing would be at morning tea time, so I had a lot of the day left to eat whatever. And this would happen every day! So I have changed my mind set about this also – and know that whatever I put in my mouth is something good for me (even the banana!). I guess I am just one of those people who cannot eat a single bite of something sweet and sugary or carby. I cannot have a single slice of bread even! I think it is really important not to feel restricted but I haven’t as yet (although I think if I was doing the shake option, I probably would). 🙂
    Shaz

• posted by Bissell
    on

I agree. I can do abstinence or full on; its moderation I struggle with! But I really find I’m not that bothered about carbs any more, I certainly don’t lust after bread or cakes. At the moment! I couldn’t do the shakes thing either, I enjoy everything about food. Planning meals, buying food, cooking and of corse eating!

Have a good day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.