Insulin Resistant Reactive Hypoglycemia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Emdalco01
    on

Hi I’m trying to find a diet that might help reverse this condition. The BSD looks that at least it might help.

Any thoughts? Thanks

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi, I’m not sure what the difference is between insulin resistant hypoglycaemia and type 2 diabetes. But the way of eating (diet has very negative connotations) will reduce your blood sugars, help to drain the fat from your liver, pancreas and other organs, and result in a healthier body. Have you read the book? If not, it really is the best place to star because MM explains in a simple but detailed way how to do the ‘diet’ and why it works. There are also lots of lovely, supportive people on these forums who can give you encouragement and the benefit of their own experiences.
    Good luck
    SSB

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Im not quite sure what that means but when I see hypoglycaemia then I would suggest you are very careful as this diet can bring on hypos. Hope someone comes on to be more help.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

I have just done a quick Google search on IRRH – it appears to be a pre-cursor to T2 diabetes where the body responds to carbohydrates by over-producing insulin – thereby causing hypos. Nearly all the articles suggest that a low-carb diet such as the BSD is the best way to manage it. It is the excess of carbs that appears to trigger the excessive insulin production so reduced carbs will also result in fewer hypos.
    SSB

• posted by Emdalco01
    on

Thanks for your replies.

Basically I’ve been told by a doctor knowledgable in IRRH to eat more protein and good fats and less carbs.

He said according to test results I’m prediabetic.

I’ve also been told by a dietian just to eat low GI foods.

The other challenge of IRRH is you have to eat every two hours otherwise your blood sugars begin to drop and then adrenalin is released to drive glucose into your system and then you get a bit crazy.

This is a real pain in the butt. I’m constantly thinking about food.

I am worried that the low carb portion of this diet may bring on hypos though,

I love to talk to Dr Mosley about IRRH, but I imagine he’s a very busy man.

Daryl

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Daryl,
    I found this on the Diabetes Uk forum discussing IRRH
    ‘RH is the condition I have got! It is an actual condition! The symptoms are numerous and differentiate between patients. It is when your pancreas produces an overshoot of insulin in the secondary response during the digestion process. It causes initially a quick spike, (hyper) then as the secondary response comes into effect the insulin floods the glucose which will lead to a hypo!
    This is caused by the amount of carbs and sugar that triggers the natural response from your pancreas, but it doesn’t stop. If you don’t eat carbs, the amount of insulin produced is minimal and doesn’t hinder the glucose process.’

The thing with reducing carbs is that you do actually stop being hungry all the time. After a few day (hopefully) you body adjusts and the carb cravings all but disappear. And the food available through protein and good fats is so yummy and satisfying, you won’t feel deprived at all – unlike on a low-fat diet.
    It’s worth a try. If you look at the successes on here you will see that some people have had huge battles to fight – and people like the amazing ‘canadaliz’ are an inspiration.
    SSB

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi there
    I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia a few years ago. I had the classic symptoms of a crashing in my blood glucose about an hour after eating carbs. Dizziness, disorientation, palpitations, sweating. All of which went away if I ate some golden syrup (!) and laid down for 10 mins.
    I started the BSD just over a year ago and lost just over 2 stone, taking me into the healthy BMI range. And importantly, I’ve never had a hypo since. I eat three meals a day, with the odd spoon of peanut butter as a snack. I find if I don’t eat much in the way of carbs, ie no ‘obvious’ one, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, sugar, then my blood sugar doesn’t rise and I don’t over produce insulin.
    So, in summary, it works for me! Give it a try and good luck.

• posted by Emdalco01
    on

I’ve been told to eat every 2 hours so that’s 6 times a day otherwise my blood sugars crash. Isn’t the BSD only 3 meals a day? How have you prevented blood sugar crashes? Thanks

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi all — an interesting of story of a hypo happened to me yesterday — I’m taking an all day/five day class this week and all morning we were busy walking and moving about and I had eaten a small breakfast (scrambled eggs and coffee, very typical for me).
    Then around 11:30 AM we had a snack “presentation” (this is for Waldorf schools) and to be POLITE I ate five (5!!) tortilla chips (organic, blue corn, I mean it’s Waldorf!).
    Within ten minutes I had the first hypo I have had in 18 months since starting the BSD — so so weird — I had ALMOST forgotten that strange cold/numb/dizzy response but the minute it hit I knew what had happened.
    I’ve been on maintenance for a year but this was a new experience — I couldn’t believe such a tiny bit of carb set it off but I think I was hungry and jet-lagged (in New York) and we had exercised — normally I would eat a protein filled lunch with maybe just some nuts for dessert so my body was shocked.
    Next time I will decline being “polite”! It isn’t worth it!

• posted by Stephen JB
    on

Good afternoon ,
    This is my very first post!
    I have been diagnosed with RH but am not diabetic. I have always pushed myself with swimming , lengthy walks , lengthy cycle rides and the occasional run. However my consultant said that perhaps I need to do less exercise which as a man of nearly 64 quite surprised me.
    I have stuck to the BSD now for a good 12 months and have kept a note of everything I eat in a food diary. I
    have lost 4llbs short of 12 stone and generally feel great and full of energy.
    My problem is that I eat at night. My diet at all times includes mainly protein ,for example a tin of tuna with a tablespoon of real mayonnaise , Greek yoghurt with blueberries , chicken , green lentils , vegetables and so on. However I never seem full after a couple hours have passed after eating a meal. For some unexplained reason I cannot help myself and have a strong urge to constantly top up with the same sort of food. This for me means that I wake up 3 or 4 times throughout the night and early morning to snack as I seem to sleep and then wake up with a start feeling really hungry. I know this is not a habit and may well be caused by some hormonal reaction while I am sleeping which could possibly be stress related. I really do not know. I often wake up in a sweat and feel hungry. I cannot believe that I can still wake up at 05:30 and start work at 08:00 to work my 30 hours a week shifts without feeling completely tired due to broken sleep. I would like to eradicate this behaviour and feel normal if such a state exists.
    If anyone has any ideas regarding achieving this state or might be suffering in a similar way It would be lovely to hear from them. Many thanks
    Stephen JB.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Stephen. I can understand exactly what you are feeling. I do have diabetes but with that comes insulin resistance. I have made my diet stricter by lowering carbs and have been able to reduce my insulin injection amount, which also cause insulin resistance. I too wake up in the night and know my BG is low and have to have something to eat, typically a slice of meat or half a yoghurt with some chopped prunes or frozen raspberries. Nothing that would take me off the diet plan.

I am going to recommend something to you that was recommended to me on here. Log on and register with InsulinIQ – it is free so I am not advertising. Look at the subjects and find 90 days to beat insulin resistance and voila, there you have it. Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

Also, well done on your weight loss although I am not sure I have read it right – thats 11 stone 12 lbs or there abouts.

Please log in or register to post a reply.