Inspiration and motivation!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Paloma
    on

Hi!
    I have just finished the book and am planning on starting tomorrow – anyone else for moral support?
    I am not diabetic (although I suspect I am high risk for type 2) – I am mainly doing the diet to lose weight and get back to a healthy weight. Just wondering how muchnothers have lost doing this for 8 or 12 weeks? I know everyone is different but just wondering on average what people have lost. I’ve got a good 3.5 to 4 stone to lose. It feels like such a mountain!!
    Thank you!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Paloma, and welcome. I am a non-diabetic with a family history of type 2 as well, and I am in week 7 and I have lost 7.5kg so far, or 16.5 lbs, so more than a stone. I had 20kg or just over 3 stone to lose when I started and it seemed like such a big task, but now I’m more than a third of the way there. Sometimes it seems like I’m losing slowly compared with others, but when I stop to think about it, I’ve lost the weight quicker on the BSD than anything else I’ve ever tried. The last time that I lost a lot of weight, it took me 6 months to take off 10kg and that involved a horrendous amount of exercise and I was hungry a lot of the time, and I couldn’t keep it up so I started to put the weight back on again after a few months. Now I’m only doing a moderate amount of exercise and as long as I keep my carbs relatively low I’m hardly ever hungry, so it’s been much easier to cope with and more sustainable for the long term I hope.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Both – the BSD is very much sustainable over the long term. There are lots of us on the forum who have been with the BSD for a year, 18 months and 2yrs. Some have reached target weight and are moving into maintenance and some are still on their journey. We are all unique and will lose at different rates, even if we have similar amounts to lose. Keeping low carb is key, so religiously tracking both calories and carbs is important and of course, keeping an eye on the all aspects of your progress is important too, as not all achievements are on the scales, so check your measurements and be conscious of health improvements too.

Best of luck Paloma and you too arcticfox. Make good use of the forum for advice and support and please join in on other threads, including the four week challenges, as these break up the eight weeks stints and makes them feel more manageable.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

To all…..just watched several Jason Fung MD videos with great data from a number of research studies that show basal metabolic rate does indeeed go UP for fasters (studies he looked at did alternative day fasting) where as the poor schlemiels that did the old fashioned calorie restriction diet saw their metabolism fall.

More good news….those fasting saw their hunger hormone (grelin) drop over time, whereas (you guessed it) old calorie restriction dieters saw their hunger hormone steadily increase with weight loss. His point: calorie restriction is truely a recipe for failure. Fasting data is a plus in every column. AND….the rate of weight loss is the same for men and women who are at the same weight. And there was no plateau for those who stuck to the regimen (over the long haul….I am sure there were many stretches where nothing showed on the scale only to fall off the following week, etc).

And for those who might ever want to try it, if you do a multiple day fast, the rate of weight loss actully goes up from Day 1 up to Day 4 and then starts to gently slide/taper off. I had started a 3 day fast this morning and now have talked myself into seeing if I can extend it to 4 days. Will let you all know how it goes.

For any wanting to watch the video, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iatPAjf5I_Y

I feel like I have been given the secret password to unlock the treasure room. The treasure if free for the taking.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Luvtcook. I just watched the video! I have been 24 hour fasting for a while, but obviously need to ramp it up a bit more.

Thank you for sharing.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Nonna Mary….isn’t the info just amazing? I haven’t ever been so optimistic that I can finally unzip the fat suit I have been the prisoner of for 17 years and BE ME AGAIN!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Luvtcook, Mary – I admire you both so much for being able to get your heads
    around the concept of an extended fast! My best is about 17-18 hours.
    I am always “all ears” to hear what knowledge everyone has picked up from
    Jason Fung and other sources on the cellular benefits of being able to
    accomplish this. Please continue to share your experiences.
    Luvtcook, getting rid of the “fat suit” is a humbling experience. I still
    can’t quite believe it, but I know that all thing are possible with this WOE.
    I’m ready to begin weekly soup production, so I have an eagle out for
    your posts in the recipe section. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, hey girl, you are MY inspiration. I feel very privileged to be part of this group of sharers. Such a lovely lovely bunch of women. You all have aged into “fine wine”.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi Paloma, add me to the list of people with a family history of T2. I don’t have diabetes but I am insulin resistant so without strict blood sugar control I put on weight that’s impossible to shift. When I discovered the BSD, everything finally clicked and the weight dropped with startling ease. Like SunnyB said, a lot of us have done the BSD for far longer than 8 weeks. I did an unmodified extremely rigorous version of the Fast 800 without breaks for over a year and lost something in the neighborhood of 200 pouds.

I’m on maintenance now and slowly building up my caloric intake while still strictly regulating my carb intake, keeping to 20 grams or less a day. That’s how I intend to live for the rest of my life and I have zero regrets about it. Everyone else around me can enjoy their potatoes, bread and pasta and the ensuing range of stomach upsets, bloating, exhaustion and inexplicable swelling of body parts. I’ll stick with cheese, high quality meats, fish, nuts, seeds, the lowest carb veggies and the ensuing clear-mindedness, stamina, glowing skin and endless energy.

Dr. Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting is a great resource for anyone interesting in introucing one or more versions of fasting into their lives. I’ve done 5 extended fasts now and absolutely love them. That feeling you get on the second day is one of the greatest natural highs a human can experience. Even though I’m at goal, I’m going to continue to do one extended fast (72 hours) a month to keep my insulin levels nice and low and for the sheer joy of it.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

And re. an extended fast: it is now 2:30 pm my time. No food since 7:00 pm last night and NO HUNGER. NADDA. And a very upbeat mood (can you tell. Right).

Will see how tomorrow and onward go, but I am very hopeful. The BSD has been a real shake up for me. Gone is my prior OCD dependence of 3 square meals and a snack before bed (and maybe 2 more snacks thru the day). The clock ruled my stomach before….would panic if dinner an hour late (OMG….I might STARVE to death). Gone is the rigid notion of what breakfast had to look like….or, “must have largest meal at night”. All out the window. I am now eating like a rational person and with my brain not with my eyes. Plate does not have to be covered rim to rim with food, no bare china poking thru ever to be seen. Gone. Done. Forever I hope.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I use salad plates for everything now. I haven’t used the dinner plates from my china set in a year. Salad forks have replaced dinner forks too. 😀

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Esnecca, all I can say is WOW.

Please log in or register to post a reply.