Iamconfused.com!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ve just been researching food labels. Well, yes, ok, food shopping.

I picked up a pack of sliced meat that looked interesting, turned it over to check the ingredients and nutritional values. Then I did a ‘double take’ because the listing of nutritional values showed total carbs per 100g as almost zero, but sugars as a higher figure – I think it was about 3 (too surprised to write it down). How does that work?

The same store, famous for its quality sells cooked chicken, whole or portions, roasted in a sugar marinade. Why a sugar marinade?

And I bought some beef meatballs from that same store. This was the third time of buying them. First time everything was ok, second time I had an upset stomach but put it down to all the veg I had with them. This time I’ve again glad an upset stomach but didn’t have anywhere near as much veg, so checked the ingredients but can’t think what might be causing it. Ingredients are: British beef, rice flour, cracked black pepper, sea salt, preservative E223 (Sulphites), ground black pepper, antioxidant, ascorbic acid, ground ginger, dried pimentos. The label does show Sulphites as an allergen – anybody got any other ideas.

The last portion of said meatballs is finding its way into the rubbish bin. Note to self: do not buy them again 😳

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I wonder if your sliced meat used some kind of pure sugar, maybe molasses or honey or maybe just sugar! – during the curing process? I don’t eat that kind of meat so I’m guessing, but its generally a more processed meat isn’t it, so some extra sugar based ingredients must have been added to an otherwise carb-free food.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Good thinking Janet. I’ll have to look again when I’m back in that particular shop. Given that they roast chicken in a sugar marinade it’s a distinct possibility.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi Lynne and Janet,

It is astounding that most of the processed meat products contain sugar- or dextrose, or some other variant of sugar! I looked at this some time ago when I was wanting to cut out sugar. The ONLY ones I found without sugar were CooP own brand smoked Brunswick ham, and Waitrose German Brunswick ham. Even those have sulphites. The CooP one has only 16 cals per slice, the Waitrose one is 26cals a slice. ALL of the chicken varieties had sugar.
    MaryR

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks Mary, I will remain blissfully unaffected as I only eat chicken breast which I have cooked myself and fish. The rest of my protein is veggie!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lynne,
    It could be the sulphites affecting you. They can cause cramps and diarrhoea in people sensitive to them. Also respiratory symptoms.
    If you have asthma or have taken penicillin a lot in the past you are more likely to be affected. My sister has sulphite sensitivity and has to be careful with dried fruits, processed meat, wine and shellfish.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Cherrianne

Thanks for that. It makes sense, because I’ve had problems with shellfish for a long time, but never knew why. As for wine! Don’t drink alcohol at all now, but the last time I had wine was on a transatlantic flight and I didn’t know if I was dying or if I just wanted to!

Please log in or register to post a reply.