I suppose it's a start

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just read a news report on the success Prof Taylor’s first trial, saying how even people who had been diabetic for 10 years reversed it in the 8 weeks and 6 months after the end of the trial they were still eating healthily and still not diabetic.

The report goes on to say this could be a cheap way to treat diabetics.

You should see some of the comments though, ‘type 2s are not diabetic. You’re not diabetic unless you take insulin. Just go on a diet”.

Someone on the BSD has responded.

So, to counteract all the naysayers, it’s up to us – both those of us in at the start of the BSD and those who follow in our footsteps – to show ‘them’ that it is effective. And that the benefits are sustainable. So I guess us ‘trailblazers’ will be around on here a long time.

And, yes, the article is correct – it is a cheap way to counteract diabetes. We’ve been saying that. Prescribing the book is a cheaper (and more effective) way of treating diabetes. But it is also more effective than the conventional ways currently in use.

Ho hum. Far too early to be on my soapbox. Sorry folks. *Off to get some breakfast*

• posted by Bill1954
    on

We’ll see Lynne
    If they recommend the low carb route I’ll stand and cheer
    However, if they (as I suspect) go with the old low fat drivel, then I think it will be time to get loud by responding to every report you read.
    Trouble being that we will be regarded by the powers that be as some sort of minority group.
    Bootcamp indeed.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Of course with the comments being online they will naturally attract the Trolling that is so pervasive now. When the success of BSD is so obvious to others as it is to ourselves we shall not need to worry about the bias shown by organisations vying for attention. Truth will out…

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Had a couple of trolls already SkyWalker
    they’re so pathetic they stand out like sore thumbs and usually are made to vanish withing a couple of hours of posting. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, it is NEVER too early for that particular soap box!!! We are probably starting to say it in our sleep anyway lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, I must have been dreaming about it.

Picture just popped into my head of the barricades in Les Mis ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Sounds like lots of us are at that point with this. Time to get the banners out?

• posted by Buxtonmick
    on

That’s the beauty of the internet, even those miserable little inward people who wouldn’t ever have said anything to anyone in their day to day lives can throw comments from behind their sofa. It’s never bothered me. I, like everyone else on this forum, am strong enough and intelligent enough to live by my own credo. Now I don’t know if the BSD will work for me, but it beats taking pills and what appears to be poor advice re diet. The one thing that has confused me since being diagnosed is being advised to eat carbohydrates. It just always seemed plain wrong. Well now we’ll see.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Buxtonmick, I’m ancient enough to remember (though I wasn’t diabetic at that time, or for many year afterwards) that back in the early 1960s the standard dietary advice was to restrict carbs, and diabetics were taught carb exchanges.

But then came the low-fat revolution and everyone jumped on board. Food manufacturers had to replace the fat with somethin, which was usually sugar. There appears to be a definite correlation between the rise in low-fat eating and the rise in obesity.

Now the pendulum is swinging the other way.

Look forward to seeing how you get on.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lynne,
    You are right, up until the 80’s that was the way diabetics were taught to manage the condition. It worked well for those who stuck within the guidelines. I was a student nurse back then and remember it well.
    We had nowhere near as many amputations or eye problems as nowadays. Most type two diabetics were usually in hospital for other reasons.
    Since the mid to late 90’s I have seen so many diabetic leg ulcers and foot wounds that don’t heal. Starts with a toe amputation, then a partial foot and then a below knee amputation by which time it’s usually a relief for the patient who has spent months, sometimes years coming to the clinic for wound care.
    We even had to make special appointments for some folk to fit it around their dialysis at the same hospital.
    Wonder how much of this could have been avoided by correct dietary advice? There will always be people who resist altering their diet. I suspect many though, like us, would leap at the chance to control the disease.

Please log in or register to post a reply.