I have to get my act together!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lillythepink
    on

Hi

I am Jen and need to get my act together……

I heard about this diet from Daily Mail online and was really interested…..bought the book and the cookery book and thought yep – that’s it…I am good to go.

Bought fresh veg etc to start and went about 7/10 days……lost about 6/8 lbs then hit a snag.

I had been suffering with discomfort on and off for about 2 years, then it got more frequent, thought I need to go to the dr and (don’t you just love google) figured out that I had gallstones. The dr agreed and referred me on to a consultant and a scan….this was early October.

The night before my scan I ended up in A&E due to the pain and the scan revealed that I had passed a couple of stones into my bile duct.

Following this, sickness, feeling bleugh and then jaundice meant I was fast tracked and last week had the stones removed followed by my gallbladder the following day. I am now feeling so much better and after this week, will be ready to start again…..I think that the sudden weight loss triggered this all which wasn’t pleasant at the time but means it’s over and done with now.

I have still kept the weight off (and a few more lbs besides which is surprising due to the lack of activity over the past week), but one of my problems is that, I now cannot face certain foods (Greek Yoghurt being one) This recipe for breakfast with nuts and berries was really good and filling and kept hunger at bay for hours until tea time (used to eat it at about 10 am)…..so now I have to find something else to eat as the thought makes me want to…….

Anyway, now that it’s all over and done with, I need to start again.

My big wake up call has been the amount of times my BS was taken and I had to have a shot of insulin before my op – this has all freaked me out. My levels were anywhere from 11 to 19 during my time in hospital – now the dr had prescribed me metformin which I admit, I was very lax in taking and during October haven’t taken it at all due to the sickness so I know that this is mainly my fault but I am now determined to reverse this and lose weight as it is around my tummy that the majority is (which is not a good thing)

I did mention to my dr about this and he wasn’t overly supportive of this diet (probably due to my issues as it was at the same appointment as my referral) but he is an avid fan of the 5:2 and has done it himself so he knows that these aren’t just fad new age things designed to sell books and do nothing else.

I have started reading through some of the threads and will continue to do so to get some tips and hints and will update on my progress.

I weighed myself this morning and was 13st 6lb and my current (just this minute) BS level is 12.6 (i have eaten a bowl of cereal and had a cup of tea earlier this morning…and my metformin 🙂 ) so that is my starting point today although I am not going to seriously start until Monday.

Anyhoo…….sorry for boring you all half to death.

Jen

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hi Jen…sounds like you have had a helluva time! Glad you have come through it all ok. I have been on the diet for 5 days and have lost over 6 pounds, which feels amazing! I don’t have diabetes, but am definitely fat and unfit and feeling my age! From reading other posts across the threads, you will be amazed how quickly your blood sugars can reduce on this diet. I find many of the posts here so inspirational too and check in regularly for a reminder of what can be achieved if I persevere…have a look at the recipe section too – some great ideas on there also 🙂

• posted by Lillythepink
    on

Hi Alex

Thank you and yes, it does appear to good to be true in that the weight loss is huge for not a lot of effort but lots of willpower!

I have just gone through all of the recipes and printed some of them off to stick in a folder so I can prepare for next week.

I will be going back to the dr in about 3 weeks so fingers crossed I will have shed weight and he will be impressed ha ha

Jen

Please log in or register to post a reply.