I HAVE A PLAN!: Week 3 – 3rd August

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Unfortunately, two weeks ‘I have a plan’ challenges down and only 2.2lb down, admittedly this brings me back to original target weight, but I have to press on if I want that my wriggle room back. So, I’m kicking off a Week 3 of the challenge and hopefully others who want to put a personal plan in place for the week and have somewhere to discuss their progress will join me.

My week 3 plan is not much different to the previous two weeks, in that I want to continue to stretch overnight fasts, be aware of hydration and carbs consumption, move about a bit more and maybe throw in another 20hr fast if I can. I might go back the religiously weighing, measuring and recording, but not quite decided on that yet – although if I’m honest, this is probably the way to go.

If a weekly challenge is something you are looking for, please join me/us.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Week 3, here we go, only 1lb down last week, 7lb in total. No drinking or parties this week so hoping to do better, straight back on plan.
    I am planning to move more, hope it cools down a bit as I feel rather lethargic! Good luck SunnyB, 2.2lb down is still very much going in the right direction. Keep at it!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I too need to restart I have been maintaining if that’s the right word not properly committing. It’s been a very hectic time socially and I have been enjoying myself too much so need to get back on the straight and narrow
    Mm

• posted by Verano
    on

I shall be back again as well! I have decided my body is not happy with restricted eating so I’m going back to eating when it suits rather than by the clock. Most days I I have brunch around 12-1pm but then I have days when I am still hungry and don’t seem to be able to satisfy my hunger. So, it’s back to eating as and when for me.
    Sunny I think you are doing really well. You obviously didn’t have too many carbs when you were away so did ho,d not much water. Also, you don’t have anything to lose really so it won’t come off so quickly.
    Looking forward to week 3 and hoping I will finally be back in the zone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Apologies All – I must have been in a real Monday morning funk, as it seems I managed to get the wrong date in the title. Hopefully you’re all happy to live with it.

Good to see some folks getting on board. Well done with that result Gill33 and you’re very welcome to join us Madmare and hopefully we can get back on the straight and narrow together. Strange isn’t it V? Some days I’m quite happy to drift through to gone 14.00 before breaking-fast, but other days I need something much earlier and struggle with the temptation to keep picking for the rest of the day. Oddly once I have had my evening meal, regardless of how early that might be, I rarely have the urge to eat anything else.

I’d like to think the slowness of getting my body to do what I would like at this point, is to do with the amount I want to lose, but in reality I know it’s because I’m not putting in the required effort. No-one to blame but myself.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I’m also on plan! I’m also not putting in the required effort at the weekend, so undo what I’ve achieved during the week.
    I’m away for the weekend this weekend but I’ve already checked out the food options in the hotel. Unfortunately we have 17C (62F) thunderstorms and heavy rain forecast! Can you believe it? I wanted to get away from the stifling Midlands and get to the sea and now it’s going to be cold and very wet, which is typical for Wales of course! Oh well, nice hotel, nice train journey, no driving, change of scene, so not all bad! 🙂

• posted by Ellem
    on

I know, Kazz! The forecast! We have (or maybe HAD) a garden party planned for my eldest sister’s golden wedding anniversary. I think we might be inside. I hope you have a relaxing time all the same. North, south or mid Wales?

My plan for the week is to try out intermittent fasting, and to enjoy the family party while staying on plan.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

That’s such a shame, Elle. You’ll still have a great time. Hope it’s not too soggy for you all! We’re off to mid Wales, Machynlleth. Hoping to get to either Aberystwyth or Aberdovey or Borth on the Sunday. Looks a bit brighter so am hoping it blows out quickly!

• posted by zinny
    on

Hello all from misty Pembrokeshire. As posted elsewhere I had a big failure at the weekend. Now Im planning food menu and no drink for me this week. I don’t even like it, so why do I people please when its offered at a bbq or similar. I could not use the driver excuse this time as we were caravanning, but I have nothing planned in my diary now till 24th August, so I hoping to give the BDS a real good go and then I will get the result I want instead of staying the same!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Zinny – understand your frustrations about finding oneself ‘people pleasing’ when you know you should be standing your ground and you’re definitely not alone in this behaviour. It’s certainly something I find myself doing too, although it’s more in association with eating carby foods when dining at someone’s home – happened a few times when we were in Turkey and dining at the homes of Turkish friends. Keeping control and not offending can be a difficult line to walk.

Now that you have a plan though, try your hardest to stick with it this week and we’ll do our best to support your endeavours if need be.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you for setting this up Sunny!
    I have my sights set on mixing up my period of IF this week, 1 day at 20:4, the remainder
    16:8 and 18:6. Tape measure will appear next tuesday to hopefully see positive results!
    Zinny, we’ve all navigated those social waters, and sometimes the only thing you can do
    is just take a very small portion so as to not hurt the feelings of your hosts, who probably
    went to some effort to prepare something that they thought you would enjoy. Forgive
    yourself, and look forward to having a great week 🙂
    Well, my friends, here we are again…Let’s all have a great week!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

I am ready to join this week too! Down to 169 from a high of 174 over a month ago

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am joining also – goals is for another week of good blood sugars. So lovely to be part of this forum – I definitely couldn’t do this on my own.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have definitely got things in perspective this morning. Thinking about my numbers
    Before BSD and insulin Hb1Ac 125
    Before BSD but now on bucket loads of insulin Hb1Ac 53
    Now on BSD but no insulin Hb1Ac 44

So looking at those numbers there is absolutely no reason to have a mega stress out as I did yesterday because my numbers increased by 3 to 44. It is probably the perfectionist part of me that wants the perfect score. I also remembered what my DN said at the last visit – well actually I can’t remember her exact words – but basically it is pretty miraculous that I have come off the insulin as the diabetes was so severe. So obviously it will take many more months or even years to reverse the damage done and achieve the perfect numbers I so want.

So my challenge this week is to cut my blood sugar testing down to one day a week. I did meticulous blood testing after every meal over the last 3 months and I know what works for me. So will keep carbs and calories at the same level, continue with the IF and increase my strength training.

The money I save on the test strips I will be spending on Weleda Rose Body Lotion and Weleda Rose Body Oil. They are already ordered with Amazon Subscribe and save.and I am looking forward to a bit of.pampering every day.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia it’s so good to see you have things in proportion today. Your numbers are marvellous. The one thing you don’t know is your ‘normal ‘ number. We don’t know how arbitrary the parameters for diabetes are. My ‘normal’ cholesterol is 5.2, always has been. It no longer fits within the parameters of acceptable cholesterol but hey it’s MY normal. As long as you remain healthy and drug free the ‘number’ is merely that, just a number. Good to see you are relaxing with your testing especially as a finger prick is really only a measure of ‘that moment in time’. Enjoy your body lotion and oil it will do you far more good and give you more pleasure. Enjoy!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning folks! I have grand teens coming for a week today so have loads of carbs in the house. Bread, chips, etc. My challenge will be to not touch not these at all. I can do it! I am also going to stop weighing daily and maybe go weekly on the day you guys do it. Is that Tuesdays?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Enjoy all of that youthful energy, Violinist! It sounds like fun 🙂 If there is a big carb fest
    going on, sneak off and log on here. There is always someone out and about, and it might
    be a good distraction? I’m in your time zone! Yes, Tuesday seems to be our traditional weigh
    in day. I’ve always liked tues and fri, essentially before and after the weekend, to keep me
    accountable 🙂

Krys, you sound so much more relaxed today! The beauty products sound lovely. V.
    always has sound advice, and although I’m not diabetic, I AM a hopeless perfectionist,
    so what you have to say rings so true for me also. I’m so grateful to my friends here,
    for when I go off in that direction, all of you drag me back to normalcy. I usually
    refer to it as a temporary detour to “crazy town” 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – very good advice. You are right – the number is just a number and there is no way of knowing what my ‘normal’ blood sugar is. 41 to 44 might be absolutely normal for me.

Allie – I was definitely in “crazy town” yesterday and am pleased to have been dragged back to normalcy by everyone’s helpful posts.

I am so looking forward to using the body lotion and body oil and have also treated myself to a lovely leather purse which was delivered today. Hopefully my finger tips will recover after the endless finger pricking I have done since 2012. Of course – not on insulin (how I love typing that) I really don’t need to do it very often. Will just check once a week to make sure I am still on track with BS.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see you in such a good frame of mind now, Krysia. Can understand your initial reaction, but great to see that you are now looking at the big picture and finding some balance. Enjoy the pampering and that new purse – and not having to prick your fingers multiple times a day.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your grand kids, Violinist. It’s such precious time isn’t it? We’ve been having some grandchild time this week and will be again next week, when we take them camping for three night. Think this might be the last year our almost 16yr old grandson comes with us, so want to make the most of this one just in case, before the dynamics change.

I’m struggling with the usual mid-week blip upwards on the scales. Frustrated to be above original target yet again. I know the solution is returning to 800/20 and plan to do this post camping w/e, when I will have a clear run at it. Meanwhile it more of the same – 16:8 or better, good hydration and a weather-eye on the carbs.

Hope others are having a better planned week – keep at it everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning ….. and it really is! Last night before I went to bed I had a ‘Headspace’ session. Just ten minutes but I slept like a baby. I went to bed around 11pm , woke at 4pm and dropped straight back to sleep. I haven’t slept so well in an age. The only problem is that I’ve woken up this morning in such a relaxed state I can’t get moving! I had never thought of meditating before bed but I think it might be good for you Allie, and anybody else who has poor sleep patterns.

• posted by alliecat
    on

How glorious, V.! A full night’s sleep is like a gift from the Gods 🙂 I should be able to
    find something on you tube that provides the same form of relaxation. I’m happy for you!
    At 11:00pm I usually have conservative talk radio on, and it can be pretty fiery, and not
    all that relaxing!! For some ridiculous reason, I can’t fall asleep in silence, but need the
    rumbling of a human voice to accomplish it. Plain crazy, I know!! Self hypnosis would
    be a good thing to know 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Self hypnosis is very easy, Allie and I’m sure it would help you with your sleep issues, as it takes you into a deep state of relaxation. Simply get comfortable, concentrate on your breathing for a couple of minutes – in for a count of four and out for five – then check and release any tension in your body. Start at your toes and feet, tense them if you’re not sure how relaxed they are and then release the tension. When you are sure they are relaxed, move on to the lower leg and proceed on up the body. As you get to the top of your head, you should be in a deep state of relaxation and experience a floating sensation.

Can you use restful music instead of chat radio? Using gentle music and self hypnosis would give you a double whammy and an even better chance of peacefully slipping into sleep.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Sunny! I’m in so much better of a place than I was last year at this time, that
    I may be able to accomplish it with some practice. I’m going to use your technique
    beginning tonight! I really appreciate the details, and I’ll let you know how I do 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Allie, Sunny, Krysia, Verano.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Morning Violinist – hope you are having a good day.

Yesterday was a good day for ne – work is winding down before the Summer Vacation. I have put the glucose meters away (yes I do have 2) so I am not tempted to check BS. I also did quite a lot of strength training – planks, wall press ups and squats – so on track with the strength training part of this challenge.

The A47 is closed overnight at the moment and it is a nightmare journey to get home after classes in the evening along very narrow winding country roads – so my lovely husband is doing a 40 mile round trip to take me to my classes and then pick me up in the evening. Yesterday we had a lovely meal in the pub/restaurant across the road from my venue. I had grilled chicken, chorizo and halloumi with a green salad – it was so delicious.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi! I SO enjoyed reading your response here 🙂 I bumped into my DN in the supermarket yesterday and several weeks from seeing her with a BSR of 18.5 – 2 hours after eating OATMEAL!!! . . . . imagine her expression when I told her my waking readings are now 4,5,6 and last week I snuck in a disappointing 7! Im now in week 6 and just AMAZED at how well I feel, the energy, the weight discard, most aches and pains disappeared along with my sinus issues . . . Of course she sake what I had done . . . and I suggested instead of believing everything she had learned becoming a DN it may be beneficial to extend her mindset to investigating Dr MM and his DISCOVERY . . . and consider incorporating it into her repertoire at the clinic. After all there was I standing before her . . . getting approval for my now wonderfully acceptable BSL’s along with the new 2stone lighter me as living proof it works. Maybe not for all but if ANYONE benefits isnt that a good thing? Im unsure she was convinced at my story – even though no-one can deny my weight discard!!! Just a poity I didnt have my meter with me to prove it was ALL true!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi K! I dont know if our “numbers” downunder are the same as everywhere else in the world . . . In April my HbA1c – NGSP was 12.9% (and after that it says (4.0 – 6.0) The next reading is HbA1c IFCC – 117(mmol/mol) and in brackets (20-42).
    Im guessing the next set of tests will be VERY interesting . . . because my BSL’s are now 4-5-6 on waking . . . not (whatever they were before this eating programme 🙂

QUESTION to anyone reading this post 🙂 Can one have low blood sugar levels (now after just 5-6 weeks) – and still be “considered” diabetic . . .? I guess add to that question . . . for a time after changing habits . . .?

Im getting more and more excited about seeing my GP’s face when they are requested next 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Woodduckie and Krysia! Nice going Woodducky. My a1 c is 5.7 in Florida and glucose reading is 116 both on March 16. Next readings are in 5 weeks and hope to have them down with low carb meals.

Krysia, wow, so going to college and working? That is alot!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Woodduckie, do I have that right? You lost 28 pounds in 5 weeks?

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi friends – I’ve now got the Headspace app on my phone (thanks Verano) and I have done four 10 minute sessions on the train home. It’s around 5:10pm when I listen to it and although it’s lovely to discard the manic day and relax, I think I would benefit more if I listen to it when I go to bed! I’m also going to try the self hypnosis, thanks for that Sunny. My usual sleep pattern is bed at 10pm, awake at 12, 2, 4 and up at 5:45am! I have no problem falling asleep, I wake up, turn over and usually get back to sleep within 10 mins. Two bathroom visits sometimes also otherwise I dream of going to the bathroom! Allie – I’ve found soothing sounds on YouTube, one of which has a moon shining over the water. It has some, how to describe?, some Zen type sounds which are quite hipnotic! link below! Good luck with it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgkvwG971hw&t=1454s

WoodDuckie – that’s an awesome amount of weight lost, 28 lbs in 5 weeks. I’ve still got around 80 lbs to lose… Fabulous going! 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Violinist – I used to work for a college, which is why I still call my August break the Summer Vacation. I now work for myself teaching pilates and roughly follow the school terms – except I don’t take 6 weeks off in July and August. I think that class members might mutiny if I did.

WoodDuckie – that is an interesting question. In my case I view myself as a diet controlled person with T2D because my blood sugars spike if I go above 20g good carbs. The NHS have recorded me as in remission from T2D. If I could eat the bad carbs and not spike my blood sugars I would consider myself as having reversed T2D. Some people may be able to completely reverse their diabetes if they haven’t had it very long – I know that I am highly unlikely to.

But – if you had a predisposition to develop diabetes and you went back to eating the bad carbs after reversing diabetes – wouldn’t it eventually come back again. These are just my own personal thoughts on the issue.I

Would just like to say that you are doing amazingly well and so are you Violinist.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thank you Krysia! I retired from a University 2 years ago. You must enjoy your classes.

Kazz, so sorry falling asleep is difficult for you. Sounds like you have a plan.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Violinist – I really love teaching pilates and the fact that it is not a static subject and that you are continually learning. I am not an innovator but have got rather good (or I hope I have) at taking other people’s ideas and making then work for me and my clients.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Violinist – ever since I hit 50! disturbed sleep pattern, too hot in bed all year round and acne rosacea although I’m pleased to say since starting this way of eating, the rosacea acne has pretty much vanished these days and only the odd pimple now and then which I nuke with Sudocrem! Menopause may be? I’m 56 at the end of this month. Or could be sleep apnea perhaps from overweight. I know I snore! I even got an App to record myself but haven’t done so yet! How ladylike! 🙂 Genteel, I could never be referred to as!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Yep . . . 11kgs = 2.2 lb per kilo so close enough 🙂 Pretty awesome given Im 73 (almost 74 in 4 weeks 🙂 Ive tried other “diets” over the years and things simply slid back over time to what Id become used to being me 🙂 I was quite settled where I was . . . having faced my Maker 6 years ago and came through 43 days in a coma in ICU relatively unscathed for the severity of the problems 🙂 I was just grateful to be live an enjoying my retirement and family 🙂 NOW! Well Im enjoying it all much much more now and in the meantime have put surprised and in some cases . . . disbelieving and almost cross responses/looks on faces who had told me 4 short months ago that my only option was insulin injections. Still have a few people and hurdles to get over but they can only be easier 🙂 Im loving this WHOLE experience 🙂 Thank you for your interest . . . and to all others who have contributed to my adventure via forums here 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

woodduckie that is so inspiring!!

I am 62, 5’ 4” at 170lbs. My blood pressure is starting to creep up – 130/86 average and my cholesteral has been 200-240 most of my adult life since early 20’s. I am on statins. Doc wants me down to 154, at least, in order to avoid high blood pressure medicine and to avoid increase statin. I take 40 mg of a statin. I have blood work in exactly 5 weeks and see doc in exactly 6 weeks.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Kazz, hopefully BSD will help!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Krysia, that is so cool!! In my retirement I started playing my violin in an orchestra after years of not playing. I love it!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Violinist – I am really envious as I am not very musical. My husband and his whole family are. Unfortunately daughters take after me. My eldest really wanted to learn the violin and tried so hard but had to admit defeat in the end.

Had a lovely day today – much cooler weather which was ideal for walking with the dogs. We visited Blickling Hall and walked around the lake. It was so peaceful and relaxing – then we had lunch in The Muddy Boots Cafe there. It is a lovely cafe and your dogs are allowed in also. I had coffee and cream as there was nothing low carb but I really don’t mind that. I must admit though that I was really hungry by the time we had dinner at 5pm. It must have been all that walking and fresh air.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So, end of the third week and pleased to say there’s been some progress. Only small but now a smidge under target weight. Not counting chickens though.

Anyone want to kick off a week 4? Think there are still a number of us keen to have a weekly thread, so would be good to have another to check into. If there are no takers, I’ll take up the gauntlet again.

• posted by Violinist
    on

I am sure interested in the weekly, but with visitors and moving and house closings, I am not totally focused.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi ….. sorry I’ve not posted much this week. I will certainly support you Sunny if you start the next weekly thread. I’m not in the zone at the moment so am keeping a low profile. We are away for a good part of the next five weeks with just enough time to wash and iron between trips!!!!!! So it’s not realistic for me to think about weight loss at this time. BUT, I do find just reading the posts helps me to stop going completely of the rails!
    So looking forward to keeping in touch and wishing everyone a good journey to their chosen goals.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

This morning another 3/4lb loss so am now at 8st 12.5lbs. Have kept to my goals, 20g carbs, IF and the additional strength training – plus only blood testing one day a week. Today is the blood test day so I was 5.3 fasting. Will be checking on how quickly BS drops after meals. Am not expecting miracles because I think it will take many more months (or even years) for my after meal BS to be truly normal.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi there! Well done and isnt it nice to see the levels drop so quickly. I doubt the after meals levels will be too surprising . . . I omitted them as testing SO MANY times a day my poor fingers were complaining bitterly . . . and that was interfering with my crafts. I just do before meals now . . . and figure . . . if its down before a meal . . . the rise mustnt have been too high for it to get down to where I am happy before again eating 🙂 Well done and continued success with the future weeks 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning folks! 5 am in florida, so going to get my coffee first!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Morning Violinist! 🙂 10am here back at work and just on my 2nd large mug of warm water and a slice of lemon!
    Had a lovely 3 days in Wales – weather was pretty good compared to the forecast earlier. Even managed to get down to the seaside on the Sunday. Had lots of fish and veggies for dinner and scrambled eggs and salmon or haddock and poached egg for breakfast! I did have wine though! I’ve not stood on the scales this morning, thought I’d wait until tomorrow…. chicken that I am! 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Kazz! I love when you tell me your detaied menus. They give me so many ideas!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

To step up my fiber, I now have the following on my grocery list due to you guys.

mushrooms
    steamed spinach
    broccoli
    riced cauliflower
    chia
    chic peas

Thanks!

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi all well my planning has paid off and I kept away from the buns! So I can report a loss of 2 lb this week. It really does seem that as long as I steer clear of the carbs I will be ok. I have made some of the BSD recipes this week and I think doing some actual cooking as opposed to having protein plus salad has been good for me. I am enjoying the home made hummus today, and I will be making the beetroot falafels later.
    Hope all doing ok

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Zinny!
    I just bought the BSD cook book and am anxious to try some of the recipes too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.