I Can't do nuts and seeds. Substitute?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lipgloss
    on

I have diverticulitis so seeds and nuts that get caught in my gut are out. So many of the meals but breakfasts especially, have nuts or seeds as the filler/taste element. Any suggestions on a substitute that won’t break the calorie barrier?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lipgloss – sorry if I’m being stupid, but are milled nuts/seed a problem too, or might they offer a work around? If not, we need to get our thinking caps on and come up with some other option. It’s not the calories so much as the carbs you need to look out for though, so looking at the carb content should take priority.

I’m wondering if in some instances you could use avocado or a small quantity of beans as substitutes, but not knowing which recipes you are seeking to adjust, makes it difficult to offer anything ‘concrete’. However, hopefully someone else will have some bright ideas and will be along to offer them.
    Best wishes …

• posted by Lipgloss
    on

Regarding nuts and seeds

It is the undigestible little bits of seeds and nuts that get caught up in the bowel that cause inflamation. I am all good with tomato & cucumber seeds etc, but it seems to be the hard variety of seeds and nuts that get caught and fester. Smooth peanut paste is fine (not the crunchy one), and I am not sure milled would be smooth enough and without the odd little bit that would get caught up in the gut. Am happy to substitute but so many of the recipes in the 8 week blood sugar diet book rely on either seeds or nuts to take the recipe from bland to tasty. Any suggestions would be appreciated

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lipgloss,
    I could not follow the recipes in the book because I am a vegetarian, and have been successful by devising a meal plan based on what I do eat.
    I used the app fatsecret on my mobile phone, logging all that I ate and simply working to the targets of carbs under 50g, protein of between 0.6 to 0.8g per kilo of target weight, and making up the rest of the cals from healthy fats. Once I got used to low carb eating I worked on reducing the carb levels further.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Type breakfast ideas into the search box at the top of the page and you’ll find lots of ideas. Here are some below
    Eggs in lots of forms
    Soup (I have had one of my home made soups for breakfast on occasion. I like it with a poached egg put in it)
    Full fat plain yoghurt and berries (I often add some cocoa for a chocolate hit)
    Smoothies
    Cheeses and cooked meats
    I think you’ll also find some ideas in the Recent Recipes section too

I’m not creative but this woe does get you thinking.
    Best wishes to you for finding you way , you won’t regret it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lipgloss – I think both JGwen and AnnieW are right, in that it would seem you are going to need to devise your own menu plan, but this need not be daunting. I too have always ‘done my own thing’ and simply adjusted what I had been eating previously – so for instance dinner became a protein source and veggies or salad without a high carb element. If OH has pasta with a sauce, I have the same sauce but over say, green beans, sugar snap peas and cabbage.
    I’m thinking as it is the bits that cause the problem, perhaps you could use flaxseed/linseed flour to make pancakes for breakfast and they keep well in the fridge, so they don’t have to be made the same day you want to eat them. They can be eaten with whatever you choose, but some ideas would be scrambled eggs, a rasher of bacon, some smoked salmon, tahini with yogurt and a few berries. …. And actually tahini is another way you could include some seed in your diet – it makes great salad dressing.
    I bought my linseed flour from amazon,the brand is olena foods and is described as ‘milled’ linseed, but it is the same consistency as normal wheat baking flour, so very fine and no bits at all.

Hopefully this might help in some way. The BSD is a bit of a steep learning curve and having to work around another issue muddies the water further, but I’m confident you will find a way to work around this additional issue and will soon be reporting good progress.

• posted by Lipgloss
    on

Thanks for the imput JGwen AnnieW and SunnyB. Looks like I will have to work things out rather than lazily following the recipes and food charts. Am going to keep working on it and see where it takes me. All I need is a couple of kilos off to give me that initial boost to keep going. Appreciate your help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

There will be a new weekly thread starting on Tuesday, so why not consider joining us on there, as it’s a great place for help and support. The title will begin, ‘One Week at a Time … ‘. Hope we might see you there ….

• posted by Lipgloss
    on

Hi SunnyB. How will I get onto the new weekly thread? I don’t have a smart phone so don’t do twitter or apps.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Lipgloss – love the name
    SunnyB or someone will set up the new thread today sometime. It’ll be ‘One Week at a Time’ and it’ll have tomorrow’s date (I think it’s tomorrow’s date – I’m not actually on that thread although I sometimes pop in) – then you post on there like you do on here.
    Best wishes
    Jennie

I only use a computer. I have no idea about the other things.xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi – no, I don’t do Twitter etc. either. Not sure how you are accessing the forum, but from the website home page, just select Forums at the top of the page and then, All Recent Topics. You can then page down and find the weekly thread. The current one is ‘One Week at a Time … Beginning 12th February’, so the one which will start tomorrow will be the same title, but suffixed 19th February. Just click on it to open and add a post in the same way as you would for responding on this thread. If you want to be kept notified of new posts on the thread, check the Notify Me box to the left of the Submit button.

Hope that helps and that you will be able to join us on the weekly thread, Lipgloss.

Please log in or register to post a reply.