Hypos

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tulip
    on

Hi, I’m new to this site and wondered if anyone can help me. My husband and I started the 800 cals fast on Monday, so we are on day four. We’ve stuck to it and been exercising too. The trouble I am having is hypos. I felt my sugars dropping fast yesterday mid morning, then today I woke up shaky with low reading (3.9) had breakfast, but by 11am I was shaky again and down to 3.4. I have a monitor because I get gestational diabetes in pregnancy and use insulin then, and my levels didn’t return to normal after my last pregnancy. I’m hoping that this blood sugar diet might kick start things back in the right direction! I couldn’t find anything about hypos in the book. Is anyone else having them?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Tulip
    have you had a HbA1c test?
    If not I would make an appointment withthe GP and get one done.
    Those are very low readings and you need to find out what’s going on.

• posted by Tulip
    on

Hi Bill, thanks for replying. I had an HbA1c taken last week, I’m waiting for the results of that. They tend to be OK, it’s the GTT that I have trouble with. My sugars swing high and low a lot. I have been under consultant care and they have run every test there is. He says I am prediabetic. Hence why I thought this approach might help me to sort my insulin response out. I have to admit though I’m struggling with so few calories a day

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hmm
    can you post a couple of typical days meals?
    You shouldn’t really struggle on 800 cals as long as you are eating enough fats and drinking enough water.
    Week 1 can be difficuilt as your body gets used to the new fuel, you will be feeling much better by this time next week

• posted by Tulip
    on

Yes I suppose we just need to keep soldiering on. Yesterday we had breakfast 50g full fat Greek yogurt with one weetabix crumbled over (119 cal) Lunch: 2 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 a cucumber, 12g spinach leaves, 50g red pepper, 50g iceberg lettuce, 50g raw red cabbage, 125g seafood sticks and 17g hot Mayo dip (243 cals) then tea I marinated 200g chicken breast in 50g Greek yogurt and tandoori spices, baked in foil with lemon juice served with roasted veg (no oil) 2 cherry tomatoes, 150g courgette, 100g mushroom and 100g of the Holland and Barrett low cal rice (409 cal) I was so starving by bedtime I had a slice of watermelon and some grilled chicken slices. The day before we had similar breakfast of Greek yog, Oaty flakes and half a grapefruit, lunch lentil and spice soup and one slice toast and tea baked fish with salt pepper and lime, small amount mustard mash and red cabbage, green beans and broccoli. Does this sound about right? I’ve just adapted what we and the children usually eat and had much smaller portions

Please log in or register to post a reply.