How to ditch the carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Hi all,

I started the fast 800 on Tuesday and have been averaging 800-1000 cals per day. My problem is ditching the carbs! I’m eating maybe 1-2 portions per day, whereas I used to eat them at every meal and as snacks.

I’m feeling better stomach wise (I have ibs/ibd) but I know I need to cut the carbs to fully stick with the plan and get the best results.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just follow the receipes and use alternatives to carbs, that doesn’t mean replacing rice with brown rice or quinoa or wholemeal bread for white bread, you are just swapping one carb for another. Find an alternative like spaghetti courgette instead of pasta or cauliflower rice, I like aubergine mashed and I eat the roasted crispy skin as a snack. If it is the craving you want to get rid of then you will just have to go cold turkey. I never had a craving for carbs although a jacket potato might tempt me but I just never eat them anymore. My view of things like rice and pasta is that they are tasteless globs used to soak up sauce, so I now dont find the idea of it appealing.

I see you dont have major medical problems so it might not be necessary to ditch completely, maybe use them at one meal a day but as Dr Mosley says, as an accompaniment rather than a main part of a meal, i.e. a tablespoon of carb rather than it being 33% or 50% of your plate. Having said that, it would be seriously difficult to stick to 800 calories if you are eating carbs and you would be sacrificing something that would do you more good, like good fats. Just think about what it is you want from this plan.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – yes – I would never go back to the ‘tasteless globs’ of carbs instead of the lovely tasty stuff I eat now. I hadn’t thought of them as tasteless globs before – what a brilliant description.

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I may have to just go cold turkey! I’ve stopped eating pasta and have only eaten a small portion of rice this week. I find the bread the hardest thing. I’m used to having toast/bagel/cereal for breakfast and the usual sandwiches for lunch and then more carbs at dinner ๐Ÿ™ I think the carbs are what’s creeping my daily calories up to nearer 1000.

I’m still losing weight (about 2-3 lbs in 4 days so far) just by cuttong calories, but I know I could be a lot healthier!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Breakfast, think about scrambled egg with a touch of chilli and a small grating of strong cheese, OR grilled mushroom with a poached egg on top, or sliced avocado with a poached egg. Seems a bit weird without the toast at first but you soon get used to it. If it makes you think of bread too much try full fat Greek yoghurt with a mix of berries or passionfruit and a sprinkle of slivered almonds.

Lunch, Ploughman’s made of apple (I only have half), ham, cheese, celery and pickle. Grilled bacon and griddled halloumi on a bed of ribbon courgette with red peppers with a yoghurt, garlic, lemon and olive oil dressing. Spanish chickpea and chorizo soup is delicious or another of my favourites is roasted chicken breast with roasted asparagus and red pepper on a salad (for me it is always courgette), I find this very satisfying and sometimes have as a dinner rather than a lunch.

Just a few ideas to keep you away from the carbs.

• posted by becky papa
    on

Hi_ Juss185
    I also so started on Tuesday planning to do this for 6 weeks… ….5 days in and feeling pretty hungry! I have found the Konjac rice/noodles useful for conning myself that I have ‘normal’ food but covering them with tasty recipes fro BSD book.
    Also the day I had ‘Portobello Toast’ for breakfast I felt full all morning and it was delicious (Portobello mushrooms, goat cheese and pine nuts)…Good luck!

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Thanks Becky papa. I was pretty good all week, then I caved today and had a cupcake and shortbread! :'( I weighed myself yesterday and had lost 1kg, but weighed myself today and it’s back on again!

I’ve been off work this week so have had time to prepare my meals. I’m back at work next week and think it might be easier for me to try meal replacement shakes, for breakfast and lunch at least. I’ve got a jumpsuit to fit into in 6 weeks so I need to get it together ASAP ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Good luck! Keep me posted on how you get on next week.

• posted by sue126
    on

Sunshine-girl, I love your idea of the mashed aubergine with the crispy skin as a snack. That’s definitely going on my shopping list for next week. Thanks!

• posted by becky papa
    on

Couldn’t believe weight going up this morning…walked a very hilly 12km yesterday with 760 cals….hopefully just a blip!
    Yes the aubergine mash sounds great….just looked up the recipe..thanks Sunshine-girl.
    I’m using the 8-week Blood Sugar diet book..the recipes I’ve tried so far have been good…Chicken Korma tonight..yum!
    Good luck Juss_185 with doing this around work…it seems to take up a big chunk of time, planning, shopping, counting calories ; hopefully meal replacement product will help out ( and less washing up!)
    730 today…which is the lowest so far..

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Sometimes the weight takes a week or so to catch up Becky papa. I think you’ll have a big loss by next week! ๐Ÿ™‚

Even though I haven’t stuck rigidly to the plan I have lost 4lbs! I don’t feel any different, but going in the right direction. This week my partner and I are trying a weetabix on the go shake for breakfast and lunch and a meal in the evening. We compared all the diet products and the weetabix seems like a better alternative. The shakes are just over 200cal each.

Please log in or register to post a reply.