How important is the water??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Not_thirsty
    on

Hi, I have never consumed enough fluid and the thought of 2 – 3 litres is scary!! I am never thirsty and often remind myself to drink but that is only a mouthful or so at a time. What would be the effect if I follow BSD 800 with low fluids? Better still are there any tips on how to increase my fluid?? Thank-you to all those who are posting their journey and success stories here – very inspirational.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hello Not_Thirsty, you may have a condition of course but in answer to your question – Plenty of fluid is vital – it is not an option and you will just have to get used to it like we get used to changing our eating style. You probably consume more than you consciously note. There are fluids/water in foods and of course if you were a tea drinker you would probably be likely to have many cups per day at 300 ml each or so? 6 good cups is 1.8 lts at least. Keep a diary and you will know more. Don’t get hung up about any aspect as all we are doing is eating a bit less but of better quality food with fewer nutrition free, worthless calories. Kettle on … now!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Not_thirsty
    Welcome. I used to be like you. Then years down the line I have Type 2 Diabetes. Always thirsty & on the loo!
    You REALLY need to drink this amount of fluid per day, at least while on this diet. But in general seriously up your fluids.
    Initially you will visit the loo often, but it settles down in a week or two. No, that isn’t a long time. You need this fluid to help your metabolism work & flush out the stored fat from your liver & pancreas. This is what Type 2 Diabetics are trying to do to reverse our condition on this BSD.
    Lots of other people who arn’t diabetic are finding this diet & it’s helping them. That’s a great bonus. It’s just 8 weeks out of your life, commit to it. 😀

• posted by Athorn223
    on

I flavor my water with a little Crystal light or 0 calorie water enhancers you can find in stores, you could even flavor it with a little fruit or cucumber or lemon. Also, consider fizzy water instead of flat to make it interesting sometimes. I also use a 48 Oz water bottle that I only have to fill several times to get the recommended amount of water. Water is essential to this diet and flavoring it will definitely help.

• posted by Not_thirsty
    on

Thanks for your responses. Skywalker I wish I was a tea drinker that could solve a few problems but I haven’t found a hot drink I like. You are probably right Athorn223 if I get some lemon and use my hubbies sodastream it might make it more interesting. Maybe it will help me if I think of what Eureka said it is flushing away the fat!! I have been trying to drink more for ages but I just forget. I guess I will have to force myself to finish a glass each time instead of a mouthful or two. Today I had a 500ml bottle on my desk all day and nearly finished it 🙁

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hi Not Thirsty, I generally drink very little (when not deliberately trying to drink more), maybe three cups a day including tea, without feeling thirsty at all. But I find the more I drink the thirstier I get! I can have twelve glasses of water and go to bed thirsty. Maybe my body (and yours) thinks I’m living in a desert and it has to make do with what is available. As soon as it realises there is plenty of water, I crave crave crave to get it while I can. It really helps with the weight loss.

It’s still hard though, it can be very inconvenient to rush to the bathroom every 20 minutes until I get used to it. I was literally in tears when I was out shopping one day and couldn’t find a toilet.

I like cold water with a squeeze of fresh lemon. Or tea.

• posted by Brightspark
    on

The amount of fluid is definitely an essential part of the diet. I put 3 x 500ml bottles of water on my desk in the morning and make sure I drink them all by the time I leave work. This is in addition to any water, tea, herbal tea or coffee I drink at home or work. I’ve noticed that at weekends I’m a bit headachey and I’m sure it’s because I don’t drink as much as I’m out and about and busy. Also noticed that if I don’t drink enough I get a bit constipated – despite a diet of pulses and veggies!!!
    We bought a Soda Stream so now we can have ‘sexy’ (or sparkling) water to keep our interest going! I really like the liquorice herbal tea – it’s slightly sweet so stops the sugar cravings in the evening before bed. And if I’m hungry between lunch and dinner I have a milky coffee made with skimmed milk and decaf coffee – more fluid and also helps fill me up.
    Your body is adjusting still and it takes time to re-programme it. At first you’ll be rushing to the loo every half hour but gradually your body learns to cope and be your friend.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hooray! Reading through this topic has given me some answers. I’m on week 11 and after about week 3 I reduced the water to virtually nil. However, I do drink lots of tea – probably about 7 cups per day. I didn’t realise that the water helped in the elimination of liver/pancreas fatty deposits. I’ve no excuse really as in my freezer there are sliced up limes and lemons to add to the many bottles of sparkling water in the fridge all sitting there unopened!! Week 11 now and still going!

• posted by Not_thirsty
    on

Thanks Natalie – that is inspiration. So I may only have to force myself for a short while and then the body will figure it out and get thirsty! I so hope that is true, I will start tomorrow!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

WOW – that’s all I can think right now!
    I’m on week two (day 2) now – wondering why I lost so well in start of week 1 and nothing for the last 4 days – though I give myself little stars and points for water I realised I cut out all my herbal teas so I’ve not having as much fluids as I was having the first few days….hmmmm definitely motivated to have some now- hello peppermint tea here I come!

• posted by thepolly
    on

I’ve sort of plateaued for what seems a while now and I really think it’s because I’m not drinking enough. Need to start writing down how many pints I’m drinking. I find it easier to measure that way – good luck all in keeping yourselves topped up

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi all
    Yep it’s hard to increase your fluid to the necessary 2 – 3 litres. Like Not_thirsty, I don’t drink tea or coffee – don’t like it. My hot drink ( not often) was cocoa!!! Go figure! I’ve also stopped drinking milk some time ago as I felt it was disagreeing with me. So my choices are already limited.
    I choose water & get fed up with it too sometimes. I know when I’ve not drunk enough. My urine is dark ( it should by pale straw in colour if you are really hydrated). I get a ‘fuzzy’ head. I even think my eyes are a bit prone to blurring vision too. I’m Type 2 Diabetic so should keep properly hydrated anyway.
    I have a tonic water & ice everyday & sometimes a soda & ice. I have the odd glass of wine with food but always with more water!
    Keep drinking folks. Don’t forget the water bills you are paying!

• posted by Stephie63
    on

Are fruit teas ok? Like Not_Thirsty I don’t drink tea, very rarely drink coffee, and over the years I’ve trained myself to not drink much at all as in my job I can’t just nip to the loo when I feel like it. If I drink 500ml a day I’m doing well. But I do like fruit flavoured teas, just wondering if they’re a problem as they do taste quite sweet.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

hi
    just to add I agree with the person who said the more you drink the more thirsty you get – at least that is what I find with water
    and I ALSO see it as washing the fat out

I wonder if this increase in healthy fibre is doing something too as I seem incredibly thirsty at the moment
    I have already had 3 litres of water today
    interestingly I don’t think I have gone to the loo much more than I normally do (which is a lot by most peoples standards anyway)

• posted by Not_thirsty
    on

I see we have a similar problem Stephie63. I will expire the fruit tea option and see if they are allowed. Then my friend tells me I can go out and try out some T2 samples until I find some I like. Off to research!

• posted by Not_thirsty
    on

You should be fine Stephie63 – seems like for many brands calories are between 2 and 5 calories. And carbs are 0 from the nutritional fact sheets on the myfitnespal site. OK – I am off to explore fruit teas!!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Stephanie63,

Check the nutritional label on the tea of choice. I found a peach/mango tea that has sucrose as an ingredient!

• posted by Frog
    on

I easily drink about 2 litres of tea a day, so not over worried about not drinking enough.
    To drink more water though, I use no sugar added squash, or those mini super concentrated fruit things. I squinted enough to read the nutrition details today, and the tiny bottle makes 24 drinks and either had 4 calories or 2 calories in the entire bottle. The superconcentrates are also really easy to carry about with you too – I haven’t had one leak.

+At home, I find I will drink more water if I keep a jug or bottle of it (or pre-mixed squash) in the fridge.

I’ve also bought a stack of diet tonic, for when I fancy a drink – G&T is about the one thing that tastes OK without the alcohol (OK – “G”!)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Beware the artificial sweeteners in food and drink. They can still spike your insulin levels and stall weight loss. Even sweeteners like stevia, previously thought to be pretty benign, has now been shown to cause insulin levels to rise. This isn’t just a problem for people with t2d or pre-diabetes, it’s a problem for anyone as it can cause plateaux. It’s boring but water is best.

• posted by nicky2000
    on

Wow Janet that is shocking… I had no idea that sweeteners did that! I am throwing all mine out… If they raise our blood sugar then they are no good whatsoever…. Thanks for that!

• posted by Stacey
    on

The more water you put in the more fat you can wee out – thats what makes me drink!! haha

I also struggle to drink water so I soda stream mine, for some reason I can gulp down 500mls of fizzy water in one sitting but flat tap water..yuk. My soda steam was well worth the investment

• posted by iq200
    on

Carbonated water is better than no water. However, plain water is best as carbonated water can erode the enamel on your teeth so be careful!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Is that because CO2 + H2O = HCO3 carbonic acid? I suppose it will be that there is always some bad news and especially if fizzy water was previously seen as pretty acceptable – that’s life. The warning may be helpful and I would prefer to drink tap water but here in the east it tastes like disinfectant so we limit ourselves to filtered tap water that helps a bit but still use sparkling frequently. Oh to get back to Yorkshire Water supplies…

Please log in or register to post a reply.