Hopefully a soon to be New Starter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HeavyP
    on

Hi All,

New to the site so go easy,

I’m looking at doing the Fast 800 after being recently diagnosed with Type 2 & HCL, Doc wants me to take Satins but they are still unopened in the drawer at home, planning on weight loss, exercise & plant sterols instead, any thoughts?

Anyway to get to the crux of my problem, I’ve always been a bad eater and the thought of eating some of the menus on the site seem overwhelming as i just don’t like 95% of them, i don’t eat veg or fruit and my diet was mostly white carbs & meat (bad i know), currently only having weetabix and soya milk lunch & chicken at dinner (with potatoes, i know). the meal replacements seem a good idea but as they are authorised by your doctor i presume getting them is a pain? I have a phone call booked with my doctor on Monday so ill try my best to sweet talk him but not holding much hope.

Any thoughts on alternate meal replacments, shakes whilst also trying to reduce chloresterol?

Many Thanks,

P

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi HeavyP and welcome to the forum. Not liking fruit, and particularly veg is a bit of an issue as they form the basis of the meals on this way of eating. Saying that, meat forms a good part of it too, so that’s a bit of good news!

A lot of people have found (myself included) that your taste buds change on TWOE, so you might find that you start to enjoy veg/fruit more. I’m fairly lucky in that I like most food, and have always enjoyed fruit and veg, so I am struggling to put myself in your shoes, but I think you might have to try and add a bit more veg in to your meals, then a few days later, add a bit more. Hopefully you’ll find over time that you either come to enjoy them, or at least tolerate them!

• posted by shalimar
    on

I don’t know where you live but i don’t think all meal replacements need a prescription. But at the same time if you don’t try some new foods what’s going to happen when you go back to your old patterns when you’ve attained your goals by meal replacements?

Not loving fruits is not a big deal on the blood sugar diet … berries are preferred anyway … strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries ….

You can have : fish, chicken, all kinds of unprocessed meats, even smaller quantities of processed meats, even a couple of rashers of bacon with eggs in any form you like. Nuts and seeds, beans and lentils, cauliflower, broccoli, greens, peppers, spinach, snow peas, sugar snap peas, full fat yogurt, grape tomatoes, you could make chilli, soups, piece of your favorite cheese.

Have you tried all the vegetables? Raw? Steamed with some butter … maybe garlic butter? Maybe you would like some of these things if they were prepared in a tasty way???

Make a pot of soup : i just use store bought stock … add any vegetables, lentils, beans, meat. I put them in 1 serving containers in the fridge … no fuss, no muss, meals for days.

I make up some hamburger patties with some chopped onion … fry them up … eat some and put some in the fridge. Don’t really need a bun … it’s like a hamburger steak … put some fried onions or cheese on top.

It is really not so difficult … you don’t even need recipes unless you want to try some … there are lots of good ones.

The 8 week plan is really a training program for most everyone in eating healthy foods.

Just some thoughts you may want to consider.

• posted by Avila
    on

Welcome,

Are you happy with eggs and bacon? Those are regulars for me, and fish.

In a chilli, or stew or whatever vegetables can be disguised.

I don’t know why shakes would be linked to doctors – meal replacement diet plans are all over the supermarkets here in UK. Though I think some have sugar and carb levels that don’t suit this regime. Try a search on the forums for ‘meal replacements’ to find threads on brands people have found.

In the long term learning new food habits is important, but if shakes get you started and weaned off sugar and carbs then you may be in a better place to try new foods perhaps.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I haven’t tried any recipes in the book, they don’t look to my taste at all. I just modify what we already eat. If I make fajitas for the family, I wrap mine in lettuce leaves instead of tortillas (with tomato and fried onion and jalapeños!), if we have roast I’ll eat the meat and less-carby veges (no potato, luckily I like broccoli). It’s tricky if you don’t like any veges at all, I’m pretty picky but do like some and I’m trying to expand my repertoire. Tasty sauce is always a good way to disguise veges! I love satay sauce on just about anything. Maybe set a goal of trying a new vegetable each week? If you cut out sugar completely, your tastes definitely change and bland veges start to taste quite nice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.