High levels of exercise on 800 cals

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CyclingTrevor
    on

Newly started the 800 cals per day 8 week BSD (Tuesday). I have a place in this years prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 cycle ride on the 4th August. I need to do some serious trading to build from my current 25 mile to 100 mile. My question is should I increase calories on training days. I use a garmin cycle computer with heart rate strap and this calculates burned calories. These are never going to be 100% accurate. Should I perhaps add half the burned calories? Or should I stick to the 800?

TIA

• posted by JGwen
    on

The secret is to get your carb levels low enough so that your insulin levels are low. When insulin levels are low enough to get yourself into ketosis, which means your body can access your fat stores and can make up all the calories it needs from your fat. –

If you follow the macros of 20g of carbs, the range of 0.6g to (0.8g for a woman or 1g for a man) of protein per kg of TARGET weight, and the rest of your calories from healthy fat. Then its upto you how rapidly you want to burn your own fat against how much you want to eat. – There are 3500 calories in each lb of fat that you are carrying.

I promise you that once you get your insulin levels under control you will also get your hunger under control. –

Also I would recommend getting the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Doctor Phinney. Who is an expert on low carb diets for sports performance.

• posted by Squidge
    on

The book says we shouldn’t up the calories because of exercise – but I think that’s for just fairly normal levels, not training for something really strenuous. As long as you eat the right foods, even if it is in slightly larger quantities, the diet should still work, so if you feel you really need a bit more on active days it shouldn’t be a problem.

• posted by alliecat
    on

H1 Cycl1ng Trevor! Add1ng extra calor1es for tra1n1ng 1s part of the outmoded model of calor1es 1n/calor1es out.
    When you get your body 1nto ketos1s, you w1ll have an unl1m1ted store of energy from burn1ng your own fat stores.
    1 fully endorse JGwen’s adv1ce, and suggest that you ease up a b1t on your tra1n1ng unt1l you are 1n ketos1s, wh1ch
    1s the po1nt that Mosley was try1ng to make. 1t should only be a matter of days 1f you are keep1ng your carbs suff1c1ently
    low. Many profess1onal athletes are do1ng the same, and 1t has 1ncreased the1r performance. There 1s a lot on the
    1nternet 1n terms of stud1es, so have a google!

All1e

• posted by Squidge
    on

Allie, is your ‘i’ key broken? πŸ˜‰

Trevor, you might notice a drop in energy levels sometime in the first couple of weeks, as your body adjusts to the diet. After that, As Allicat says, you’ll feel more energetic than previously.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh yes, Squ1dge! 1’m a hazard to all laptop keyboards. 1 rout1nely drop ash on a key and melt 1t to the po1nt of
    uselessness, so 1 have to use my 1mag1nat1on and re1nvent a new form of commun1cat1on unt1l a new keyboard
    can be ordered! Th1s usually takes 3+ weeks….These m1shaps don’t even 1nclude the numerous t1mes 1’ve taken
    out the mother board by sp1ll1ng coffee or water on 1t e1ther….1t’s a source of great lev1ty around here πŸ™‚ 1t’s always
    wonderful to hear from you! 1t’s a good th1ng we have 3 d1fferent laptops 1n the house, because one 1s always out for
    serv1c1ng! 1 know 1t’s pathet1c and clown1sh, but 1 sold1er on πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ JGwen suggests that 1 get an alternate keypad,
    and 1 know 1n my heart that she 1s r1ght!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I used to have keyboard trouble, but this WOE fixed that! Probably a benefit MM hadn’t considered!

(I used to get cake crumbs jamming up the keys. I now not only (mostly) avoid cake, but I also rarely eat at my desk now.)

Please log in or register to post a reply.