High FBG – what can i do?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carina62
    on

Since Xmas my FBG has risen and now I feel I need to do something about this diabetes once and for all. I have been diabetic for 7 years (T2) and also have fatty liver. I have now come to the point where if I don’t do something about this I will just end up on more medication and possibly insulin (which I don’t want to do). My question is – is this possible still to try and reverse my diabetes and fatty liver by doing this BSD? what would be best for me? the 8 week continuous BSD or the 5:2 BSD? any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

carina62, hi there and welcome. Yes, you can do something about your diabetes, read the posts on here they are all true, real people, real struggles and real results.

When I started the BSD my FBG was 190 or 10.5 and had been that high for around a year after a nutritionist put me on a high carb diet to stop me from getting low readings (as I usually had). My HbA1c went from 5.5 to 8.2 in 6 months and I was in despair. Then I heard about this plan (it is not a diet it is a lifestyle) and ordered the book, read it, spent a couple of days clearing out my kitchen of any junk, sat down and planned a menu (using the ones in the back of the book) then did a big shop of all the things I would need. Within 2 weeks my FBG was down to 136 or 7.5 and 2 weeks later 120 or 6.6. I have been on the diet for 7 months and, although I have not lost masses of weight (I was 12st 10 now 11st 6) I have got my HbA1c down to 5.9, not only that but I have also reduced my insulin from 38 units to 22 units. My cholesterol and trigylicerides (fatty liver) have also improved to better than normal and my blood pressure is down too.

Get the book, read it and follow it is my advice. Even if you just stop eating what we call white carbs, starchy carbs or devil carbs (bread, potato, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and other cereals as well as sugar and any processed foods). It might sound like a big ask but you will soon get used to it and find things to replace them like cauliflower rice, mashed celeriac, spirillized courgette.

My advice to you is, just do it. Keep reading posts and keep posting, nothing you ask won’t have been asked before, no-one will judge or criticise here. You have just joined a wonderful community of people who have chosen this way of life.

Good luck.

• posted by carina62
    on

Thank you so much for your positive post 🙂 – I CAN DO THIS! AND WILL! – I just feel in despair at the moment as I feel I’ve had 7 years to ‘do something about it’ and the years have slipped by and no improvement. I do generally tend to eat healthy and have been cutting my carb intake down now for a few weeks but then Xmas came along, I stopped testing and just indulged a bit and then when I went back on track after Xmas, lo and behold my FBG started to rise (they used to be in the lower 7’s but am now getting lower 8’s) so that’s when I decided I have to do something and quick before it gets too out of hand. I have my next diabetic review in a couple of weeks time and I need to lose something in that time so that I don’t get the GP saying he wants to increase my meds (last time he wanted to increase my statins but I said No). Am going to do a good clear out of cupboards this weekend and a shopping list. I will keep you all posted.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Carina

Just to echo SSG’s comments.

I was diagnosed with T2D and non alcoholic fatty liver disease in July 2016 and went on BSD in August and seriously in September. I lost about 50lb by November and my blood tests then showed no trace of fatty liver disease.

I have now lost over 75lb and my HBA1C is now 35, from a starting point of 67. My blood pressure and cholesterol are also now well into the normal range, despite eating the full-fat dairy.

I opted for the 800 (although on average I actually eat about 900 calories per day) and have cut out all the white carbs that SSG mentioned and the booze. I am just starting my fourth cycle of 800 and will probably do at least one more as I have another 25-30lb to shift.

Whilst the food is good and varied, this still takes some willpower, particularly if, like me, you share a house with a family who are continuing to eat more traditional fare. In this instance, I initially made the same meal but served them the potatoes, rice,pasta etc. Now I can quite happily make pizza, cakes etc. for them and I have no interest in them personally.

So yes, it has worked for me and the desire not to take medication gave me the motivation to carry on.

Good luck.

• posted by carina62
    on

Thanks JulesMaigret. I want to ask, I have about 5 stones to lose to get to ‘ideal weight/BMI’ which is a lot to lose I know and although people often say I don’t look like I need to lose 5 stones, I know I do as I have a lot of fat around my stomach mainly (arms and legs are fine, not much fat at all) but it is this fat that’s been the danger for me and I guess lead me to become a T2 diabetic with fatty liver (although diabetes runs highly in my family on my mother’s side). Once I embark on this BSD, 800 calories a day for 8 weeks, what happens after the 8 weeks? do I just start again until all my weight is lost? is that how it works? I want to get this right. Thanks

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Carina

I will probably get a bit of flak for this (I routinely upset someone!) but in my opinion there is no definitive answer to what to do post 8 weeks.

I took the view I was feeling fine (much better than I had) so I just carried on. Others have done the same, whereas I believe some people have taken a break (including the 5:2 variant) and then restarted. My suggestion was to see how you feel. One of the beenfits f BSD is that you become more aware of your body and its needs.

I would also take a view on BMI. My ideal BMI would be around 14 stone, but I have a big frame and carry a fair bit of muscle so I’m aiming for around 16-16.5 stone which is a BMI of around 29. It would also be a total of 100lb off which sounds cool.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am just reaching the end of my 7th month on the plan, mainly sticking to 800 cals but always sticking to the low carb rule. I have had the odd week off when I have gone away and maybe had too much wine, especially Xmas and NY, but I always get straight back on it when the fun is over. In all that time I have only regained weight once and that was Xmas, mainly, even at higher cals i maintain my loss but stick. If you have a lot to lose you can carry on as long as you want but remember you are only human and we sometimes need a break, maybe just a night out on your birthday or something like that (even then I dont eat devil carbs). If you ever feel like you need a break just go for a few higher calories for a short period of time. I can also say that even over Xmas my BG only raised a little over what I would like, so instead of being 4.5 they were 5.0 or even up to 6.0 but once back on the plan everything gets back to being good again.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Please excuse my ignorance – but what is FBG?
    Mike

• posted by LinD49
    on

Hi Mike, FBG means fasting blood glucose, so I believe.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Thanks – should have been able to work that out! Just normally seen fasting blood sugar referred to.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.