Hi starting (again) how do I start?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi I need to lose at least two stone for my health mainly. I know how crucial the first few weeks are in getting going with a diet and sticking to it and I need help and advice on getting started with it.

I was diagnosed with Gastro oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and a hiatus hernia a year ago. I’m on 20 mg omeprazole daily. All the medical advice says to lose weight to reduce the GORD – somehow I’ve not been able to keep to a diet for more than a few weeks. – call me stubborn, stupid or what. I know I’m making my symptoms worse by not making an effort to shift the excess weight, not to mention the effect on my long term health and fitness. Perhaps I’ve come to rely on the medication and avoiding trigger foods to suppress the symptoms.

I want to try the fast 800/ BSD although I can’t do fasts because of the GORD just yet, maybe later. I like a Mediterranean style diet and I’ve lost weight before on similar diets. My big issue is I eat too much and I’m almost scared of eating less – like I might go too hungry – i know Its irrational thinking.

I think I am now ready to tackle the weight having got the medication sorted out and my triggers identified but I need help getting going so that I don’t drift off after a week or so.
    Thanks for reading. 😀

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi there.
    I’m new to the forum and new to being committed to this, although ive dabbled a bit before.
    I dont know much (anything) about GORD but i understand your fear of eating less and finding the 800 calories insufficient. From what i have read and experience myself, I would say that any step in direction toward the Fast800 is a great start, even if it is just cutting the carbs and sugars from the diet but with a slightly higher calorie count – you will still be doing your body favours. Then at some point the 800 calories wont seem so daunting. This is basically how i did it but i find i do need to be stricter and with greater calorie allowances i let naughty things slip in. Im now committed to the 800 and tracking all my food (I used to feel like it was too much effort and a bit of a faff to do but actually its really helpful and almost therapeutic.
    I’m not going to lie, 800 calories is hard, especially to begin with and you will feel hungry at times. But thats ok, hunger is not terrifying and certainly wont be the worst thing to happen to you in a day. There is always a meal which you will get to without wasting away. I think this acceptance has helped me and if im feeling hungry i just remember why im doing it. You will probably also get quite used to the lower calories and the increase in good fats really help and actually the hunger isnt as bad id thought.

The forum here seems full of good folk and support, jump in, get going and see how you get on! Whats the worst that can happen?
    🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.