Hi, new member starting out

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Graeme838
    on

I have recently been diagnosed as T2 diabetic and the BSD has been recommended as a way to improve my Heath etc.

I have the 8-week recipe book and although it contains some tasty looking recipes, I dislike almost all vegetables, and cannot stand any nuts! Combined with my working environment which is based in Central London but without a fixed base – which means nowhere to store, or prepare lunch (and I would never consider going to someone else’s office and then eating my lunch!), I need some thoughts how I can easily meet the targets while eating out of Pret/Eat/Itsu/Abokado (other food outlets are available).

And a final silly question – where does sushi fit in with the BSD?

Graeme

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Well your dietary constraints are going to make it a challenge. Focus on those veg that you do like and try to introduce new ones – I’m a convert to fennel. Be aware, some people have noted that their tastes change so you may find that your tastes chnage.

As for location, I was at a client’s office in Mayfair on Tuesday and grabbed one of the salmon salads from Itsu, which is low carb, but will contain vegetables. Pret does some chicken salads, M&S does “protein pots” and cooked meats etc.

Not sure why you wouldn’t take lunch into a client office as most people eat at their desks these days and it’s common to see contractors and consultants eating at their desks.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Sorry – missed the last point. Sushi (vinegared polished white rice) shouldn’t be a staple. If you google “Japanese rice diabetes” there are a couple of studies suggesting increased risk of diabetes as consumption of white rice increases. People on these forums have suggested that a daily intake of less than 50g of carbs (or considerably less) has led to improved blood sugars and weight loss. A pack of sushi is typically in the range of 25-35g of carbs. So you’d have to go for a very low carb diet for the rest of the day. You could always eat the fish off the top but that defeats the object.

• posted by shalimar
    on

You say you dislike almost all vegetables. Perhaps you can try some new ways to prepare them …. like steamed and then add some melted garlic butter and some shavings of your favorite cheese? Chop them up and hide them in soup with some favorites …. perhaps you can blend the soup enough to put in a thermos and bring to work?
    Find a dip you really really like and dip your liked and less liked vegetables in it? … that can be in a plastic container … also bring to work.

You’ve tried all kinds of nuts? p.s. you can have nuts or seeds … roasted and salted!! I like roasted and salted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.

BSD likes full fat and a bit of salt.

And if it is really difficult to fit in a work lunch … spend your calories on breakfast and supper and even a bedtime snack.

Can you get sushi where there is a nice amount of filling other than rice … and just not eat for than a teeny bit of the rice??

• posted by Graeme838
    on

Thanks for the replies, I will take on board some ofwhat you suggest.

As for the eating in someone else’s office, I would not expect anyone to come to my office (if I had one) and eat their lunch…I just see it as unprofessional.

Graeme

• posted by Frog
    on

Itsu do low carb options without rice (and great miso soup)
    Lots of Waitrose branches have a sitting area where you can eat food that you’ve purchased in store (and drink your free coffee if you get a loyalty card)
    If you happen to be in Clerkenwell, check out the new CounterKitchen in goswell road – opened last week, and I love it!
    Look for ‘caffs’ that do omelettes
    Hummus Brothers
    Pret do low carb salads

Slightly pricier – but sign up to the websites and you get frequent 30/40% off deals if you book ahead or download vouchers
    Prezzo have good salads (and not for every day, but the flatbread pizzas have really small bread element)
    Cafe Rouge is pretty good – omelettes, salads, and most options are available with salad rather than fries
    Pizza Express have a brilliant aubergine dish – melanzane parmigiana

once you’e weaned yourself off of sugars and carbs, give vegetables a go – you might surprise yourself!
    I’m certainly eating things now that I never used to – your tastes will change!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

You could always take a client/target out to lunch, most restaurants will do a fish/salad/steak option that you can fit into the 800. Also very good for business!

Alternatively have a big breakfast, snack lunch and larger dinner.

• posted by Graeme838
    on

Clerkenwell could be useful – if I am in our office it’s just up the road at Angel

Thanks for all the suggestions

Please log in or register to post a reply.