Hi I am starting the 8 week blood sugar diet on Monday 10th July, join me πŸ˜€

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

How is everyone doing? I didn’t lose that much in my second week, only 1 pounds, so a bit disappointing and it looks like this week will be the same.

• posted by loversghost
    on

Keep at it! I am at the start of week 4 and though I seemed to lose very little in weeks 2 and 3 I am down 12lbs at the end of 4wks. Not everyone has huge losses – but if you stick at it, you will get results. Also, the scales are not always the best way of gauging weight loss – do your clothes fit better? Are your measurements less? If so, then you are losing fat – which is the main thing.

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

Hi All

Posting my progress and curious how others are going too??

I started this because although I’m not diabetic, my health was suffering and I realised that I felt really lethargic and kind of awful…all of the time – I kept laying down to “rest” and this went on for months.

Starting weight 97 kilo
    Today’s weight 92.1 (half way into week 3)

I want to lose 25 to 30 kilo’s.
    Need to increase my exercise! Did some in week one but week two …not so much…

I didn’t do as well in Week 2 and only seemed to lose 100g after 3.2kg in the first week. After reading others comments I just have had to trust that it will keep going down if I persist. In week two I drank less water and didn’t get time to exercise so maybe that didn’t help. However suddenly in week three (a few days later) there has been another drop.

I’ve learnt so much reading these posts and think that what has worked for me this time is following the ‘regime’ more faithfully than I did when I made my first attempt (last year) and launched into it without prep and thinking I could ‘bend’ the rules.

I just thought I’d share what I’ve observed this time and that seems to be working for me and to hear what is working for others?

– Preparation and planning is definitely important and key for me. Buying the cookbook has helped to give me inspiration, and help alleviate trying to think up a meal ideas. I notice I go wrong when I try and eat “on the hop” which is highly unsatisfying and tends to lead to things going wrong. I think this is the main factor for me for keeping on track and changing my habits.

– I bought myself beautiful ingredients such as a goats cheese that I love or beautiful berries to “treat myself” and to try and make my meals feel more special and therefore feel less ‘deprived’.

– I have not felt sick feeling/dizzy or fatigued (as opposed when I first tried this last year) . I believe this is due to drinking lots of water (and better meal planning). I had a multivitamin a couple of times when I felt a bit…blah..in week one.

– By week three I feel very little hunger and completely satisfied by the meals. Hope that doesn’t change πŸ™‚ Ha!

– I’m amazed how little food you need, such a curry on cabbage to make a satisfying and filling meal. It looked tiny when I weighed it out but it’s surprisingly enough. Also love throwing cabbage into chicken stock with seasoning and 100g chicken for instant soup when I haven’t had time to make anything.

– I’m currently addicted to cabbage. Who knew? πŸ™‚ It’s really filling. I’ve been shredding/cutting it into strips and keep that in a container so I can grab a handful and don’t need to ‘prep’ everyday. Same with cauliflower ‘rice’. I made it ahead and just take out a cupful to cook when I’m putting my meal together

-I gave up my beloved daily coffee (for now). I’m seriously addicted. Mostly to reduce my milk consumption as it uses up too much of the daily allowance. I had tea the first few days to alleviate the caffeine withdrawal/headaches. I also did this just to see how my body would feel with less coffee and whether sleep would improve and I think it has.

– I feel less tired already! And healthier and have more energy than I did a couple of weeks ago. I’ve stopped laying down everyday after work.

– I’m trying to stay with the idea that I’ve read from others that no matter how small the loss or a plateau, just keep going and things will change.

Hope others are going well – I didn’t feel at all confident when I started this but my determination is growing.. and I want to wear the multitude of clothes again that are currently in storage ..if they are still in fashion πŸ˜‰

OP

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

Well, I’m in week 4 now. The first week I lost 9 pounds, the second 1 pound, the third 2 pounds. I know 12 pounds in 3 weeks is a good loss ,but it is frustrating to lose so little when you’re only eating 800 cals. But, I shall persevere!
    I’ve actually had very noticeable physiological side effects, some so bad I’ve thought about quitting. The one thing I haven’t felt is hungry, like you I can’t believe such a small amount of food can be filling! So, what I’ve noticed was, in the first week extreme thirst, really dry tongue, fatigue, muscle weakness, no stamina, second week, pins and needles started in my arms and spread (mineral deficiency), third week at times I’ve had some of all the symptoms but mostly feeling not too bad.
    The good thing has been no headaches or fuzzy headedness which I’ve suffered from for years. I thought it was my underactive thyroid but seems it might be sugar related. I suppose my insulin levels have been stable (although I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic).
    I just hope I lose a bit more than a pound a week to make it worthwhile, I can’t say I enjoy low carbing.

• posted by sholdowa
    on

Hope you don’t mind me joining in. Age 57, started 10/7 at 102.6 and blood sugar 12.2. This morning ( 3 weeks on ) was 95.9 and 6.0. Big landmark, as I’m now officially only overweight for the first time in a decade!.

I’ve spent the last 3 years or so trying to use sport to control my diabetes, but basic training with the goal of completing 2 half marathons a year had kept my weight constant at around the 102kg mark over that time, down from 118 and sugars around the 10-11 mark. Not good enough. Doctor wife of my old training partner put me on to this diet, and it has restarted the weight loss, and by the look of it an improvement in my blood sugar level. However, the downside has been a massive drop in the amount of exercise I can take. People had been suggesting that it would come right, but 3 weeks in I really am doubting it’s going to happen.

I have found the recipes in the accompanying book to be a revelation – simple to create and very tasty. I really do miss bread and beer though!

However, if this diet will reset my body in 8 weeks, I’ll put up with it for another 5 weeks!

PS. One other thing. My distance eyesight seems to have improved. Could this be so?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Sholdowa!
    I’m another person who spent years and years controlling my weight with being “sporty” (luckily no diabetes) but ultimately I discovered that you cannot exercise enough to control your weight and when I found low carb/BSD, it finally just “clicked”. Now on over a year of maintenance and it has mostly become second nature.
    My experience was interesting and you might find it useful — I found that I lost weight MUCH more quickly when I was NOT working out so much/so hard. And because I didn’t have as much energy for the first weeks of the BSD, that actually was better.
    Gentle aerobics 4-5x per week was my best outcome — so I sort of put aside the big 2-3 hour workouts and benefitted all the same.
    I am not sure what was going on physiologically speaking but I think maybe when you are on low calorie, and working out hard, your body just hangs on to every little bit of fat.
    After I reached goal, I had more interest in working out hard and I have upped my sports. BUT I have to say that my experience showed me that gentle exercise is quite effective and I did not lose muscle or fitness level, so I do more gentle workouts than before.
    Somehow, through six months of BSD (I did it so badly but got back on it every time) my body has changed so much — I can eat more and I have lots of energy — I just have to stay away from carbs and I can eat to the point where I feel full.
    Of course, like you, I still love a cold draft beer — but now it is a reward after hiking! And tastes all the better for it! It took me much longer than 8 weeks to get to this point — more like 6 months to get to goal, then a year on maintenance and I’m still learning how MY body works best.
    Figure out for yourself what is your sweet spot — I think we are all very different — play around with carbs/calories/etc — follow what FEELS right and makes you feel good. Don’t try to fit a program onto your personal self — this is as much a personal journey as it is a “diet” (new way of living).

• posted by Redlk
    on

Hello! I’m starting today. I did bsd for 3 weeks about 2 months ago and lost about 9lbs then social things happened and I went off the rails. Have gained back about 6lbs :(. So restarting today and aiming to stick to it for 3 weeks, then have a 1 week holiday where I plan to low carb, then back on 800 cals for another 3-4 weeks. And then see where I am. I am currently 149lbs, goal is 126.
    Breakfast today will be Greek yoghurt and a few berries. Have made a vat of courgette and ginger soup which will be for dinner. Lunch will be a chicken salad from Pret A Manger or EAT, I’m taking my kids out so will need to find a salad from somewhere!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome back Redlk — your getting back on it is exactly what is going to work! Just don’t quit — the BSD works even when it is done poorly! Just keep going/restarting until it becomes your default.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

Is anyone here still doing it? I’m almost finished week 6 now. I’ve lost 16 pounds, so I’m quite pleased with that. I did have a blow out last weekend as I was really stressed and that’s my way of dealing with it, but I still lost a pound.
    I’ve actually bought the book now and have been reading it, really fascinating reading about the science. I think it’ll help keep me motivated, even though I don’t have blood sugar problems.
    Well, I say that. My blood tests must’ve been ok but I’ve certainly noticed feeling less tired, no headaches and clearer thinking.

• posted by Shauny
    on

Hi. I just posted for the first time, having started the program last Tuesday. Hope you are doing well now that you are half way through the eight weeks? As you are someone on the same journey as me, but a bit further ahead, I would welcome any insights or warnings about the rocky road ahead?

Shaun

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

It’s a lot easier than you’d think. I posted something above about my experience. Take a multivitamin, that’s my biggest advice, with minerals. I keep getting pins and needles which I believe is a mineral deficiency. It’s pretty annoying.
    I also just finished reading the book, if you haven’t read it I’d recommend it. I should’ve read it before starting really, but it’s been very interesting anyway. Also, buy the recipe book, it makes life much easier.
    Good luck! I’ve actually lost 17 pounds, by far the most I’ve been able to lose in years and years.

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

Hi Shauny !
    Great Mrs Honey! I started at the same time as you and have lost 10kg so far. Amazing.

I agree about so many of your suggestions such as, using a multi vitamin or magnesium from time to time, getting the recipe book (helped me a lot ) and reading the book.
    I eat a lot of cabbage and cauliflower which I now love and is very filling.
    Drinking water seems to make a difference to me too- I seem to lose more when I drink water.

The thing that has helped me enormously is the mantra to stick with it- just keep going. For some reason at week 5 or 6, I suddenly put on 0.5, then another. I couldn’t understand why and it was really disheartening. Then today, I braced myself for no change and instead had dropped 0.8. So it seems if you keep going that it starts going in the right direction again. When there is little change or -as in my case- a weird increase, just keep going …and trust it will continue to reduce.

Some of my clothes are beginning to need replacing. I’m terribly impatient ! πŸ™‚
    OP

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I’ve had a few weeks where I only lost one pound. It did make me think “hmm, I could lose this amount on a normal diet!” but that’s not the point. I’m definitely losing inches. I had to replace my work trousers which were starting to really hang off me. I dug out a pair that had previously been a bit tight, and now they’re starting to get loose. When I measured myself the weight had gone from hips, waist and round my ribs. Which is exactly where I want it to disappear!
    I love just breaking up steamed cauliflower and using it instead of rice, especially with curry. Yum.

• posted by sholdowa
    on

Well, I’m still on it, and this morning’s weigh in ( 6 weeks ) shows me at 91.5kg, down from the start 102.6. Unfortunately I’ve run out of tabs so can’t check blood sugar ( going to the vampires in a couple of hours so should get better readings tomorrow ).

What have I noticed, apart from it getting easier after those first 2 hangover weeks?

– I DON’T ACHE! Every morning for years, it’s been hard work for that first 15 minutes, working the kinks out of my bones. I’m still creaky, but it’s just the muscles now.

– the lack of endurance I mentioned earlier has passed as my body has learnt how to feed my muscles whilst out waddling ( still not fast enough to call it running, and still slower than before, but that’s fine ), so I’m more positive about weight management long term. In fact I actually enjoyed a jog last week!

– my blood sugar has more than halved and stayed stable at that level. Now that’s a real win!

Overall, I’m a total convert, verging on becoming a diet bore! Low carb is a way of life from now on. I look forward to being less strict in the near future though… beer!

Please log in or register to post a reply.