Hi I am starting the 8 week blood sugar diet on Monday 10th July, join me πŸ˜€

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Inthebin
    on

Hi anyone wanting to join me starting the diet on Monday 10th July , I am new to the diet , I am pre diabetic and I am eating myself to an early grave, I also need to loose a lot of weight ideally , 4and a half stone , any help appreciated , anyone wanting to buddy up with me would be great. Thanks 😘 xx

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi Inthebin

Planning to start on Monday – would be glad of support. I have 2 stone to lose and just feel losing it would be very good for my healthπŸ‘

• posted by Inthebin
    on

Hi Dolly that would be fab , eeeh lets see if we can do it together xx

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi Inthebin

We definately can – especially supporting each other for the 8 weeks 😊

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I started on Thursday but I’d love to join in with you, I’m sure it will get really tough, so some support would be good! I’m on my 3rd day.

• posted by Inthebin
    on

Yippee we can do it xx

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Everyone!

I have tried before and epic failed.

I so need to lose 4 1/2 stones in total and also am eating badly at present.

I seem to be so good at self sabotage i.e. lose a bit of weight then go off the rails!!!

I have to and want to lose this weight before my health fails. I’m not diabetic and have no health concerns at present (apart from aching bones etc from carrying excess weight)

I want to look better by October this year (my 48th birthday) and be super trim by my 50th!

I have joined a gym with my daughter to get fitter as well…

We can all help each other in this

Good luck

Lucy

• posted by Bibbyface
    on

Hi Lucy
    Count me in too. Like you, I am not diabetic but seriously need to lose weight. A friend of mine started this diet last year and has lost over three stone. She looks great and feels even better.

• posted by Inthebin
    on

Aah great that’s good we can all support each other xx

• posted by Inthebin
    on

We can all do it together xx

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

I’m in ! πŸ™‚

• posted by zebbie
    on

Can I join you on Monday too!
    I have done it before, but have slowly slipped into bad habits again. Don’t know if I’m pre diabetic but probably am. I want to do it to lose a bit of weight but to be healthier too. As I get older good health has come more into focus.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I’m not diabetic either but have lost and gained the same 10 pounds too many times over the past 5 years! I need to lose that and a whole lot more. I’m on day 4 and, hopefully this will encourage you, I’ve not felt hungry, it seems impossible on 800 calories, but I suppose it really must be down to what you eat. I’ve also been drinking LOADS of water, I’m quite thirsty and it keeps you full. I weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 6 pounds. In just 3 days! It’s all wee, I’m sure lol.

• posted by LooBee
    on

I need to lose about the same amount! Count me in and good luck x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

It is wonderful to see a new group start — wishing you all great success!
    So, good thing to keep in mind — you don’t have to be perfect to have success here — sometimes difficult days “just happen” but the BSD is very forgiving (as long as you forgive yourself!) and if you just jump right back on, you will barely notice the “bad day”.
    This isn’t really a diet, and this will become more and more obvious as you move forward — this is a whole new way of looking at food and you are going to amaze yourself with your new point of view — and your body is going to start to be your friend, instead of your daily struggle. It sets you free!
    I have mentioned this many times but if you want to better understand WHAT went wrong with your body I would get a copy of Gary Taubes book “Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It” — for me it was the perfect companion book to the BSD and once I started to truly UNDERSTAND what had gone wrong, I had a much better mental attitude. It is NOT “calories in, calories” out as we have been indoctrinated — it really matters WHAT kind of food you eat. So stay low carb, avoid all processed flour, sugar, high carb starchy vegetables and enjoy the new fats, great protein and healthy veg — heavy cream in your coffee, avocado, full fat grassmilk yogurts, olive oil, fish — as you move forward you can play around with some additional carbs and evaluate your own body’s response, but I think you will never go back! Good journeys!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

When I started this diet and saw the fantastic results (for me it is my Blood Glucose levels not so much weight) I just wanted to tell everyone about it. My husband banned me from talking about it at nights out with friends but I banned him from talking about the RAF. Now if I mention it everyone has heard of it. Job done. So pleased so many people are following this plan for what ever reason. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Susanna949
    on

Count me in too! I started a couple of weeks ago (and down 7lbs.) but would love a group for the extra support. I did get the companion cookbook last week and I must say it’s been very helpful in sorting out what to eat.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi everyone – was wondering about getting the cookbook to help with meals – Susanna949 sounds as if you would recommend getting this – do you think it helps because it is calorie counted?

• posted by Lrow
    on

Hi, I will be starting this diet Tomorrow too. Great to know there’s lots of support out there πŸ˜ƒ. All the best….

• posted by Susanna949
    on

Hi Dolly,
    Yes,
    I like the cookbook for several reasons:
    1. The recipes I’ve made so far have been very good (Thai fish cakes, chickpea flatbread and tonight I made the chicken korma which has probably turned out to be the best curry I’ve ever made.)
    2. In the back it gives 8 weeks of daily menus to follow if you’re someone without much time or needs a bit more direction or just doesn’t want to sort out what to eat each day. I know that unless I have meals planned for the day, I’ll start grazing which does nothing but add unwanted calories.
    3. You know the recipes from the book are food you can eat and you don’t have to reinvent recipes to fit the bsd.

• posted by McBumcheeks
    on

Hi! I’m starting today too. Can I join in? πŸ™‚

• posted by zebbie
    on

Ok so started today. Had a latte πŸ™ they are my total weakness. Had nothing for the rest of the day until evening. Just had chilli with cauliflower rice. Haven’t worked out the cals though, must try harder tomorrow.

• posted by Wowee84
    on

Hi everyone! I’m starting tomorrow. I’m not a diagnosed diabetic but I have suspected for a while now that I’m insulin resistant. I need to lose about 2.5 stone.

Have tried to meal plan today and off shopping to get necessary ingredients!

800 calories just doesn’t seem very much at all!

X

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi everyone – I am calorie counting but have not counted carbs – although everything eaten has been low carb. Should I be counting carbs as well.? 😐 So far feel ok, making sure I drink plenty

• posted by Esnecca
    on

In a word, yes. I was shocked to find out how many carbs were in veggies that I assumed were naturally low carb. I used to use a quarter pound of onions in dinners all the time. One look at the nutritional data of a medium yellow onion on MyFitnessPal and that changed forever. Onions are packed with sugar, which is why they caramelize so beautifully.

You really don’t know what you’re eating until you look it up, and should you feel the need to make changes to speed up your weight loss, overcome a plateau or adjust your blood sugar response, you’ll know exactly how many carb grams to trim and how to do it. The math may seem tedious, but it’s really not if you use an app like MyFitnessPal or FatSecret, and hard data beats estimates and assumptions any day of the week.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Well I have started (again!) today.

I must try harder in finding varied things to eat. Perhaps I could buy the cookbook – does anyone find this worthwhile? I had a small apple, very small remains of a sausage casserole, a little but naughty yoghurt thing low fat and sugar ( I know fat is good!) and scrambled egg and beans tonight and loads of water. I ate well under 800 calories but carbs pushed 60. That’s what I always have problems with on this way of eating. Too few calories and carbs too high. I need to get a better idea of what an 800 calories plate of food looks like with carbs being under 50g at least. Any bright ideas???!!!

I also went to the gym – as I’m so unfit I only do light stuff for 30 minutes.

Oh well, it’s a start!

How did everyone else do?

Lucy

• posted by Susanna949
    on

So far, so good on day one, although I have to remember to drink more water. I’m not sure if Dr. Mosley’s book specifies a carb limit (I took a quick look through it this morning and couldn’t find a specific reference). I find if I let my carbs creep up I start to crave them, but if I keep them lowish (<50), I actually forget to eat sometimes (which boggles my mind!)

I also did a 40 minute ‘seniors’ aerobics I found on YouTube. I always feel so much better afterwards even though I dread doing it but I don’t have to leave the house, I like the woman leading it and the price is right, so there’s no excuses.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Thanks – assume I need to keep carbs below 50 each day – pleased with my first day – have counted carbs now and they are below 50 πŸ‘ And drunk lots of water πŸ™‚

• posted by McBumcheeks
    on

First day has gone really well, happy to share my food diary each day if that helps anyone. I’m accustomed to eating two meals, one at about 12-1pm and one at 6-7pm.

Yesterday I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast, sliced pear and full fat greek yoghurt for afternoon tea and a vegetable stir fry with cauliflower rice and a sausage for dinner. A few cups of tea here and there.

I have been adding back my exercise calories as I figure that will be a strong motivator for me to exercise each day. I am logging using an app similar to MyFitnessPal but on the Australian app store.

My weakness is late-night snacking. I have started having a fibre supplement before dinner which has really helped me to feel fuller more quickly and prevent overeating. I still had late-night cravings last night, that’s really the hardest part. I can keep myself busy during the day. I just try to get to bed early and read a good book.

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

Hi
    I’m also going well on day 2! Pleased to have group support.

Does anyone know about the calorie count in the recipes in the book? I made the courgette and feta salad and it says 270 calories, but I added it to my fitness pal and it came up as 371. Anyone ideas as to why this discrepancy? A tablespoon of olive oil came up as 121. Wondered if the recipe was supposed to say 1/2 tblespn or a teaspoon?

OP

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Lucy ab

I’ve also just restarted this is day five for me. I find using the app myfitnesspal indispensable, it counts everything, scans barcodes, you can record weight with photos etc, have a peek at that. It’s also good as you can look up food before you eat it.
    I find using this app, really keeps me on the straight and narrow, and it’s free, I weigh daily in kilos, so it measures tiny increments of loss, and this morning was amazed to have lost 2 kilos so far, and I’m eating 1200 cals a day, as I work very physically, and walk at least 10,000 steps a day.
    So good luck, download the app if you are in u.k. It’s easy peasy.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi – confused as recipes in 8 week blood sugar diet book have calorie count but not carb count!! As suggested will still count both but it does seem odd. Does the recipe have both??

Hope everyone has a good day 😊

• posted by zebbie
    on

I use the ‘fat secret’ app for recording food intake & weight. or I have before! must get back into counting food to keep below the 800.
    I seem to remember from when I did it before that the book does not talk about carbs for the 8 week 800 regime, but I may be wrong. I Know that for me carbs are the enemy, so Im going to try to keep them fairly low.
    Good luck everyone.

• posted by zebbie
    on

Take it all back. Ive just dug the book out and it says quite clearly that the recipes in the back are based on med style low carb.

• posted by Ceedeecee
    on

Hi, I started last Tuesday morning and am pleased to say I’ve lost 4lb. My GP recommended I do this BSD. I only lost my way once, as on Sunday evening a box of Thorntons passed by me 4 times before I ate 3 in succession. Felt awful for eating them. But so enjoyed them.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi Inthebin

You started this topic – how are you getting on?

Hi everyone

Hope you all doing ok

Just had something to eat – first time today. – seems more difficult today than yesterday. πŸ€” Determined to keep going though πŸ™‚

• posted by Ceedeecee
    on

I don’t like cooking but found the Chicken & Mushroom ‘pie’ so easy I’ve cooked it twice.
    What are other people cooking?

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

Well, I’m on day 6 now. My menus have looked something like this.
    B- 2 scrambled eggs L – lentil and feta salad D – skinny cottage pie
    B – Greek yogurt, berries and nuts L – 2 eggs salad D – chicken pie
    B – sausage, bacon, egg, spinach and mushrooms L – gazpacho soup with beans and cheese (I just added these to give it protein and fat) D- Greek yogurt etc
    Because some of the recipes serve 6, I’ve quite a few batches frozen, so I’ve been mixing this up for lunch and dinner.
    Next week I’m going to make the chicken korma and something that will go with courgetti, not sure yet what.
    For me, the Greek yogurt and berries is like heaven!! I’m not counting carbs, I’m just using recipes from the book. I also agree the calories can seem a bit off, I’m not at my first official weigh in (Thursday!) but so far, I’ve lost 8 pounds, so I’m not worrying too much!

The recipe book is 100% a worthwhile buy, it makes planning so much easier.

• posted by Bibbyface
    on

Hi All
    I drank so much water on my first day (10th) I thought I would drown! I’m vegetarian so there has been a fair bit of tofu and Quorn on the menu along with a lot of veggies and full fat yoghurt. Good job I like these things. How is everyone else getting on?

Best wishes and good luck – Shirley

• posted by Ceedeecee
    on

Hi Mrs Honey, I am also following the recipe book. Just finished my 6th day. I am having scrambled egg or avocado for breakfast, salad for lunch mainly due to the hot weather. Had chicken in the ‘pie’ for dinner. Loving the Greek yoghurt and berries too. Struggling to drink so much water though.

• posted by Susanna949
    on

Same as Mrs. Honey, I’m finding the cookbook very helpful. I’m know some people voiced concern that the calorie count is a bit off and that could be as the recipes don’t give weight measurement for ingredients (i.e a small chicken breast may mean different sizes to different people) but by and large it’s a great guide and if I really want to be specific, I can enter all the ingredients into MyFitnessPal.

I made the oatmeal pancakes from the recipe in the recipe section here this morning and they were quite good, (though I ground up the oatmeal in a blender as I didn’t soak it overnight as called for). I had lunch out with a friend today and struggled to find something to eat that was low carb. I know I’m not under 50gm of carbs, but I’m okay for calories today. I can see eating out could become an issue and I don’t really want to have to explain the bsd to everyone (the first person I told about it was horrified at 800 calories, so I’ll just keep it quiet for now). I’ll just have to try to make most mealls at home and be creative when I have company.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I’ve never drunk so much water! I think I must have got rid of everything that was stored now though, my weight loss has settled and I’m not weeing quite so much lol.
    I’m having lunch out today and had a look at the menu and luckily it looks like I can have chicken salad. I’ve also thought I could have steak and ask for extra veg instead of chips (or just not eat them). When I said I was doing 800 cals I got “that doesn’t sound enough for a working girl!” My husband is worried I’ll faint, partly cause I would always feel dizzy when I was hungry. Well, I haven’t been hungry and I’m sure it’s down to bad control of sugar that I felt faint (although I’m not diabetic).
    Another thing, my teeth have never felt so clean!

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi everyone – am drinking loads of water but didn”t have to get up quite so much last night. Found yesterday – day 2 – difficult. Feeling very positive today. Ordering the cookbook today as seems to be popular with several of you.

Not sure what to have for dinner tonight. Also got friends coming round for food after we have watched granddaughter on stage on Saturday night but wondering what to give them so I can eat as well – any ideas would be appreciated

• posted by Ceedeecee
    on

Am loving this forum, so many inspirational people. Had scrambled egg and mixed in mushrooms and a little feta to give some flavour for my breakfast. Cannot do without my morning coffee, have tried it black but couldnt drink it, so milk has to stay. It’ll be mackerel salad for lunch today. Can actually say I am enjoying this so far but it’s only day 7.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi,

I find one of the simplest things to do is a roast and vegetables, just don’t eat the potato!

• posted by Susanna949
    on

Hi Dolly, you were asking for suggestions of what to feed people. I’m having people over today and have decided on Cobb Salad (you can search it on Pinterest for pretty pictures and elsewhere) and BBQ salmon. I’m a bit stumped for dessert but have loads of raspberries in the garden so will probably have those. If their just coming for snacks, there’s a recipe for seed crackers in the cookbook (with cheese) and the old standby of veggies and dip. And as bigeater before me said, roasts with vegetables are great.

i know the bsd book/cookbook say to try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, but I use stevia to sweeten Greek yogurt to go with berries and to make lemonade (can barely tell the difference), but I hesitate giving it to company as lots of people don’t like it. I also don’t use it for baking after more than a few epic fails.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I must admit, I never have people over so don’t have that problem. So far, I’ve made my husband fend for himself just to make my life easier, but next week I plan on making the chicken korma, he can have real rice, and the gammon steaks with red cabbage, he can have new potatoes as well.
    I don’t know if I’m feeling bloated after eating, or really full! Which seems a bit weird. It’s my first weigh in tomorrow! Let’s hope it’s all been worthwhile. Hope everyone else is managing, planning is the secret I think, including planning a bit of flexibility into it, for when you think “er, I just don’t want eggs for breakfast again!!”

• posted by Dolly
    on

Thanks for all ideas. Managed to get the recipe book from sainsburys today πŸ™‚ So will have a proper look at it later – from a quick flick through it looks good.

I need to plan more but pleased with day so far

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven’t posted but have been busy with work and gym! Sounds great until you realise it nearly kills me to burn 1 calorie!!!!!

Anyway, it’s great to see that everyones doing well. I have been good and much more focused this time as I’m trying to see this as a long term change not just a quick fix. I’m not weighing myself as religiously as I have done in the past but have had one sneaky peak and see the trend is downwards.
    I too am using My Fitness Pal – what ratios are everyone using i.e. carbs/protein/fat in % and grams????
    I am having to do what I encourage all my service users to do and drink water. I have been forcing it down but am finding this easier as I go along. I have only had one bottle of sugar free irn bru this week which is good for me as I can bring 1-2 cans of sugar free a day. I know sweeteners are not good either.

Anyway, I shall stop boring you all now and have a well deserved bath..

Lucy

Please log in or register to post a reply.