Help.Gravy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

Anyone have any idea what I can have as gravy to go with my roast chicken and veg. ?

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Haha spuddy could you just see my dinner? And read my mind!!! I had cooked the chicken with a stock cube crumbled onto it so it wasnt too bad,but gravy would have been nicer…..

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I haven’t tried it yet, but could maybe make the old ‘meat juices’ style gravy just thickened a bit with low carb flour. Maybe chickpea? I will try it next time I have a roast dinner and report back, unless someone beats me to it.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

Thanks both of you. Tooooo late. Me sprouts broccoli and chicken breast were screaming out to be covered and not a chicken oxo to be found. I sinned and had 2 tsps of gravy granules.. my fridge is filled with wonderful things but nothing that would go over chicken and veg

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Bisto Best Chicken all the way here! 100ml made up is 8.8carbs and 42 calories (according to fitnesspal). Not that I would have 100mls…

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Yes, 100 ml is quite a lot of gravy, I am just miserly with using my carbs for anything other than fruit/veg or good sources of fibre so tend to think of the extreme solutions all of the time.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I still make gravy the way I always have, meat juices plus some beef or chicken stock and a little flour. I’ve calculated a “serve” to be 21 cals and 2.6g carbs, your mileage may vary of course. I don’t think a tiny bit of flour once a week is going to make a difference. You could use some non-wheat flour if you have any, I can’t seem to find any chickpea (besan) flour anywhere.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’ve tried gram/chickpea flower and it came out a bit “slimy”. I used some fine ground almonds (all I had in at he time) and it was surprisingly OK, a bit more like a thin sauce but passable.

• posted by Frog
    on

I use about a teaspoon of cornflour to make two portions of thickish gravy – either thickening a stock cube, or starting with the meat juices – a teaspoon is 4.4g of carb, so 2.2 per portion.
    I also don’t mind chicken gravy granules for speed.

I used cornflour pre BSD, and it;s such a small portion that I could never be bothered to experiment with alternatives!

Please log in or register to post a reply.