'help' for 100,000 prediabetics

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

There is an announcement today ( see BBC news app) that GPs are being asked to identify 20000 prediabetics in order to recieve help. Sadly we know the advice to exercise and lose weight is NOT what they need. They need this diet (and exercise). This is going to mean lot of money is going to be wasted and, in the end, people will not be helped. Bill said in a previous post that this should be given out in GP surgeries, it may have been a bit tongue in cheek, but if the govt / NHS is going to plough a lot of money in then giving out this book to diabetics and prediabetics who are willing to give the diet a go will be far more helpful and cost effective.

Folks, it’s time to get the word out there. The plan is to ‘help’ 20000 this year and 100,000 next year. You can look at the details on the news.

What I propose is:
    Write to NHS chief executive Simon Stevens
    Write to Diabetes UK chief executive Chris Askew
    Write to The Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP (secretary of state with overall financial control of the NHS )

If enough of us make a lot of noise over a period of time they might just start listening.
    So my fellow pioneers and trail blazers are we going to have a go?
    Here’s to a rosy future!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill I might even tie my old bloomers to a flag pole saying ‘do the 8 week blood sugar diet’ lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

LMAO didn’t think old eagle eyes would miss that one !
    I heard this and the first thing I thought was that it would be a whole lot cheaper to send out 200000 copies of michaels book.
    There will be a massive waste of money involved here and, without trying to sound clairvoyant, I wouldn’t mind betting they will be trotting out the same old low fat nonsense as before.
    On top of your suggestions, I would say let everyone who is having any success on this diet make sure their GP’s know about it.
    If we can provide them with the evidence, they may start speaking out.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

True, Bill, true, we must all make our voices heard in GP surgeries. I have a blood test at the end of the month to check on my thyroid and blood sugars – I refused to see the phlebo as I want to reinforce the message with the sympathetic asthma nurse. ( My son says I am turning into an activist – he’s pleased, really!)
    I am going to bring up the possibility of a little self help group for the diabetics in the practice based on this book. May not go down to well but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You’re quite right handing out the books would be far more cost effective and actually help those who want to help themselves. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Can another activist sign up? *waves a large BSD flag high*

Later today I’ll look for email addresses for those folk Judith and send off letters. I was just thinking about those online petitions – you know the ones, get (I think) 10,000 signatures and it has to be heard in Parliament. I wonder …..

I’ve been beating the BSD drum with my diabetes nurse as you know. I’ve got an HbA1c due mid-April, then an appointment with said diabetes nurse. I’ve been thinking of offering to speak tothe docs (but it seems our practice is staffed by locums!) but could offer to speak to diabetics in the practice.

Got someone coming to speak soon who works for NHS and she’s not seen me since just after I started this. Her role is talking to people about healthy lifestyles, including healthy eating. Mmmmmm ….. Could be having an interesting conversation their ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Seem to be reading a lot of articles lately about folk low-carbing. Eddie Izzard said that during his 27 marathons in 27 days he ate high fat low carb, a complete about turn on conventional marathon pasta parties. And just read today that chef Tom Kerridge has lost weight by giving up alcohol and going low carb.

Wouldn’t it be great if the powers that control all the finances would listen so this could be rolled out at every GP practice. Then at least those who are prepared to make changes and help themselves would have the tools to do so. How often do we hear that they want us to be proactive in our treatment? Well, let them put their money and their actions where their mouth is.

• posted by SOS
    on

And write to our individual MPsThey are duty bound to respond and if enough of them are hearing about this diet they might just start joining the dots, even letters to newspaper editors who might be interested in the financial aspects.

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi all

I am with you on this one. I don’t see my diabetes nurse till early June, haven’t seen her since January so she should see the difference in my bloods.

How do we go about getting an on line petition started?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

Just checked about online petition. It is 10,000 signatures needed.

The site is https://petition.parliament.uk

Just had a quick look (got to go out in a minute) and whoever starts a petition has to answer ‘what do you want us to do?’ Then the email addresses of 5 supporters are needed. Whoever starts a petition needs to live in UK.

Back later

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey guys
    I’m just a tubby, not on the diabetic spectrum, but like you I shook my head when I hear the news on the planned new pre-diabetic programme. On Breakfast on BBC this morning, there was someone who had been on the pilot scheme and from what she was saying, the diet plan is the same as the government has been promoting for years, so no change to our new way of thinking. Like you, I can see this whole thing being a costly disaster, unless someone at the top sits up and listens.

I’d be very happy to sign a petition to get this reviewed in Parliament, but unless their top level medics will listen to sense, then a change of plan seems unlikely. Having said that, if it’s not tried, how do we know?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I thought of that as well lynne, i tried to start a petition about funding cuts to pharmacies ( someone got their supporters signed up before me) It’s hard to get 100,000 signatures before the 6 month cut off. A few of us would need to get each others emails to start it. I will have to do what bill did and get a separate email address to post. Only uk residents can sign up
    .let me know if you think we should start a government petition ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great idea SOS! I’ll write to mine too. Let the revolution begin! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, lynne, sharon,sunnyb and sos shall i get a petition going? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi yes I think we should go for it.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Judith I don’t think we could get anywhere near 100000 signees at the moment, and I don’t think you’ll get much support from the diabetes association forums.
    Possibly best to keep haggling away at your GP’s and nurses, they are the ones at the sharp end so they should be making all the noise.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I fear Bill might be right about the 100,000 signatures. On the other hand, you have 6mths to gain those signatures and there are probably many out there who are thinking as we do, that throwing money at the problem in the way proposed is not the way to go, so success might well be in the wording of the petition.

Hashimoto, if you want to start a petition on this I will support it and will happily supply an email address if you need it to get it off the ground.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill and Sunnyb that was my first thought too. If I started a petition I would also facebook it. It gets peoples attention. We may not get it heard by the government – but then few petitions get that far. This may get more people trying the diet and as a consequence more people to make a noise in their surgerys.
    I know we won’t get the 100,000 but we may get others on this path?

What do you think?

Thanks sunnyb I will take you up on that if I go ahead ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Go for it Judith
    you know I’ll give it as much support as I can.
    I’ll do my bit and push the diet on a couple of forums I use and try to spread the word on FB and Twitter.
    Dunno whats up with me today, been doing paperwork and databases since 7 this morning and keep making schoolboy errors.
    Great example, I have just typed this twice as first time I had the caps lock om

DOH

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Who knows what we could achieve unless we try, nothing ventured nothing gained? I’d support a petition. The person who might be able to have some impact is Dr M and if he had a petition of even a few thousand behind him, it might help make the case.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OK I’ve fired the first shot by posting this on another forum I use

“Heard on the news today that the government are going to start diabetic bootcamps where they want to give nutritional advice to up to 100000 pre diabetics (blood sugar in the 6 – 7 range)
    The trouble is, they are going to spout the same old drivel about eating low fat and taking the meds.
    This has never worked and it never will.
    on Feb 1st I started the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Mosely which is based on the research done by Professor Taylor at Newcastle University
    In 7 weeks I’ve lost 23 pounds and my sugar levels are now within normal parameters, my eye surgeon said last week that my eyes are as good as they have been since I first saw her and the numbness in my feet is starting to go away, and it’s not just me, there are hundreds of people on the support forums having the same, and better success as me.
    The diet is simple and it works without you feeling hungry would you believe
    The book is available from Amazon and costs under ยฃ4 but, instead of sending a copy to every type 2 diabetic in the country, the government will waste millions doing it the old way and it won’t work, it never has yet.
    So our great leaders who seem to be obsessed on saving money from health and benefits, are about to squander a fortune on it.

Any T2D’s who are interested, just Google the 8 week blood sugar diet.”

Let’s see if I get any response.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Nice one Bill

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hashimoto, you are probably right, if nothing else a petition should help raise the profile of the BSD. It would be great if Dr M started one, but as that is very unlikely perhaps we should be doing it instead – and in some ways that carries more weight, as we are testament that this diet works.

You have my backing if you want to start the petition.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

On twitter and FB now too
    Tweeting or posting the link to this site to your facebook friends can be a big help
    It’s surprising how fast word of mouth can get around.
    Judith if you do start the petition we can drop the link to it everywhere we go on T’internet.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith if you do decide to start a petition I’ll back you. Let me know, so I can open a new email account

Bill, that’s brilliant.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Way to go guys. You need to be heard or there will be a whole new generation of prediabetics who turn into diabetics simply because of appalling misinformation.
    I’ll be watching with interest.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Never mind watching Cherrianne
    Get the word out in Australia, especially now when all the TV stuff is still fresh in folks minds.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

And imagine if the Americans pick up on this!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill you have been through more emotional trauma over the last week, you will still be emotionally tired – hence the school boy errors. If possible you could do with a couple of days off. Be kind to yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Group hug for Bill.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Right folks I’ve gone and done it, I’ve sent emails with a link to Bill and Sharon. I need 5 supporters for this to go live. I only have the one email address would any of you mind posting one of your spare email ads so I can send you the link as a supporter? Thanks ( it will be much faster than me trying to figure out how to make a new one).
    Thanks, and Bill you’re a star
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill – power to the blood sugar dieters!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne we are already activists – you me and Bill certainly know how to make ourselves heard!!! And thanks for your idea and support! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Very true sunnyb. Let’s shout it loud and clear!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Cherrieanne, I’ve gone and started it now. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi Judith

Have singed up as a supporter. Getting the BSD out to there to as many people as we can is going to make a difference. Big Well done to you.x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks for the rapid response and your support Sharon, much appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ll be your supporter. Give me a few minutes to create a new email address.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi all

Just logged in after a few days away from the forums and seen this new thread. Have searched for the petition but not found it on there. Is it not live yet? Happy to support if more are needed to get it off the ground. I might not have read thoroughly but cannot see the link to it on this thread, someone will no doubt point out if I am being a numptie!

Brilliant idea, Judith.

Julia

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith – signed. Many thanks.

Julia, Judith needs an email address to send you the link.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s brilliant Bill. Ive been careful not to sound like i am advertising a book on the government site but when it goes live i will add plenty of info on facebook ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have clicked the links and buttons and verified my info on the petition as a supporter, Judith – well done for getting this ball rolling. Let’s hope the petition will generate a wave of interest in the BSD and against the poor information being put out as part of the new government scheme. Guess all we can do now, is wait and see.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Thanks for sending Judith – all done!
    Great idea btw

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks folks, things are happening fast!! There will be a gap once the five supporters are signed up as they spend some time checking that the petition meets all the criteria. Then we will really get it out there. Bill is already doing a wonderful job on social media! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ive emailed you the link Janet, hope it gets to you ok, my pc is going like a brick tonight

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hopefully this will generate some pressure. I told my mum about the erroneous info still on the NHS website. She said she’d spent years telling them my Dad’s BGLs were so good because of the food she gave him, which was not as low carb as MM but still much lower than the advice put out by the NHS. Apparently every time they went for an diabetes check up she was told he should be eating more carbs and every time she responded that eating a greater proportion of carbs spiked his levels. She said it was like talking to a brick wall, even though they had the diary evidence in front of their eyes! So to see this happening, well, I can only wholeheartedly applaud your actions and do my little bit to get the message out there by sharing the petition.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

On a different note – do you Judith, and Bill, Lynne, Janet, Penny et al (sorry I am missing others – memory for all the other names I see increasingly out there!) ever sleep, let alone find time to eat?! How on earth do you manage such impressively prolific posting? I am in awe of that as well as your impressive weight loss (…especially as mine is currently stalled!)

You are all such ambassadors for the BSD and so supportive to so many folk on here.

Please log in or register to post a reply.