Help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by June24
    on

Just diagnosed type 2 and still ploughing my way through this. Some questions.
    What is the best drink for diabetes other than water? Soda Water ? Indian Tonic Water?
    Skimmed or semi-skimmed milk?
    Should I be steaming my vegetables or cooking in the over in some extra virgin olive oil?
    Best type of bread to buy and make?
    Best type of yoghurt to buy and make?
    Best type of butter to buy and make?
    Sorry for being so ‘green’. Just diagnosed, shocked and new to all this!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

June24 I would advise you to read the book….but to answer your questions…

Slimline tonic water is better than the others but water is best, flavour it with lemon or cucumber…or fruit teas are good too. Coffee is acceptable. If you take it with milk and sugar, make sure you count the calories and carbs.
    Milk is generally avoided unless you don’t mind counting it in your 800 calories. Some people use almond milk.
    Cook your vegetables however you want. You can add oil at any time.
    No bread on this way of life. No white carbs at all….no rice, bread, cakes, pasta …anything made with flour or coated with flour/batter.
    Full fat greek yogurt. Some people use Fage yogurt.
    Any “real” butter. 100% butter. (milk)

Don’t worry about your diagnosis, you can reverse it using this way of life.

Hope this helps.
    Nonna Mary
    xx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Good questions 😀 Welcome to the forum. Soda water is good, especially with a little fruit infused. The only tonic water that I have found to be remotely palatable now I have lost my drinks sweet tooth is Fevertree naturally light and it isn’t cheap. Most diet stuff is full of sweetener. Just plain old ice cold tap water is pretty good too, particularly with lemon or lime (or mint, strawberries and cucumber for more of a fruit punch effect). With milk, the higher fat the better, so whole is better than semi-skimmed is better than skimmed. I occasionally go the whole hog and get a bottle of gold top 😀 Both suggestions are fine for vegetables, but make sure you add the calories for any oil used. Most people avoid bread totally while on 800 calories, but some recipes are around for low carb bread look alikes if you need them. Yoghurt should be full fat Greek style or similar, I sometimes use this as a starter in some gold top too to make my own unstrained yoghurt. Any butter should be fine, I don’t usually look for anything specific. Check out coconut oil as well, it makes a pretty good tasty spread, and is supposed to help cholesterol.

• posted by June24
    on

Thank you for this. Surprised at the milk! I also read another article which mentioned the following –
    Gymnema Sylvestre
    Bitter Melon
    Mulberry leaf as really good diabetic herbs. Had a look on Amazon and you can buy all these in tablet form.

Any ideas? Apparently listed among the top seven herbs for diabetes. True or waste of time?

• posted by June24
    on

Thank you for this! Great forum and website for people like me.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi June24, Welcome, definitely soda water rather than tonic water. Tonic water has lots more chemicals in it. – (but apparently tonic water is good at preventing leg cramps.)
    I wasn’t used to drinking unsweetened water at the start, so rather than buy the flavoured water I bought soda water and stevia and limes, and added a little sweetener to a pint of soda water with a slice of lime. Gradually reducing the amount of sweetener as I lost my sweet tooth.

• posted by Squidge
    on

What is the best drink for diabetes other than water? Soda Water ? Indian Tonic Water?
    Not tonic water – anything with sugar or sweeteners is best avoided.

Skimmed or semi-skimmed milk?
    No. Whole milk.

Should I be steaming my vegetables or cooking in the over in some extra virgin olive oil?
    Any of those – just remember to count the calories of any oil you use.

Best type of bread to buy and make?
    None. Bread is very high carb.

Best type of yoghurt to buy and make?
    Full fat, unsweetened.

Best type of butter to buy and make?
    Any actual butter is fine. Avoid low fat spreads.

Sorry for being so ‘green’. Just diagnosed, shocked and new to all this!
    Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.