Hello! New here but not to feas..oops I meant fasting!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by tinajcollins
    on

I’m Tina, living in London, UK, and I’m about to start the blood sugar diet. I’m hoping I can keep this up as I really need to lose some weight. I’m prediabetic and do not want to go further down that path.

Hope to get to know everyone over the next few weeks. How are you all doing?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Welcome to the forum.

Most of us gather on one of two threads. There are people who like to make their plans per month, and people who like to plan for a couple of months at a time. If you look under the latest posts options on the menu you will find posts on the current threads for each group. Do dive in.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi tinajcollins, welcome. As JGwen says there are a few different threads but no matter which one you choose you will find fasters, TRE’s (time restricted eating) BDS, 5:2 and so on. Just dive in and say hello, you will be made welcome. The BSD can be a bit confusing for newbies so I am sure you will have lots of questions. That’s not insulting your intelligence, I have been BSD for 7 years and still make errors or find new evidences and change things about.

As you are pre-diabetic, you will find you will soon lose that is you can stick with the diet, and no fasting required.

• posted by tinajcollins
    on

Thank you so much! I hope I pick it up reasonably quickly, so I want to get this weight off! I suppose what I could do is look up all foods that don’t tend to spike blood sugar. Trouble is there are many foods that I don’t like and eat that are recommended for the BSD diet. I went through the recipes in the book and not one I liked, oh dear…I’ll be using the quick meals at the back at this rate!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The rule of BSD and if you want to get rid of the pre-diabetes, is to avoid starchy carbs. So no bread, rice, pasta, deffo no breakfast cereals except oats (the pure not ready made) and obviously no sugar. You have to watch out for things that you dont think will be high in carbs, they can creep in – i.e. an apple has 29g of carbs which is a lot if you are keeping to 50g daily.

As for recipes, just eat what you would normally but without the carbs. Tonight I have had lasagne but instead of pasta sheets I used part cooked aubergine (can use strips of courgette) but everything else was the same as normal lasagne. Obviously if your normal is carbs on carbs then you will struggle. Look at the recipes and weed out what you don’t like then see what is left. Even if you have to live on soups and eggs for a week do not go the ready meal path, they are all bad for you, even the diet ones. In fact, avoid anything that says diet, low fat, low sugar. It is a con and they have put other things in that are worse for you.

Can I also say that with your diagnosis of pre-diabetes this cannot be a quick fix, yes you want to lose weight but it is more important to get your blood glucose under control before the medics step in with medications – a very slippery slope.

Please log in or register to post a reply.