Has anyone else tried juicing with BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AlanNI
    on

Hi folks! Just started BSD this week. Trying to stick below 800, but wondered if anyone has been juicing as part of BSD?

I was impressed by the juice approach as a good way of getting nutrients in easily, following watching “fat sick and nearly dead” on Netflix.

I’ve been juicing carrots, celery and apples for breakfast! Anybody with any advice or comment?

• posted by Avila
    on

I did juicing this time last year (before finding BSD) and yes lots of stuff fits into a juice but most of the ones on the plan I followed had high sugar fruits in them. Also whilst I made it through the week the craving to bite something not just drink was huge. As once a day may be ok but be wary as BSD doesn’t really embrace a lot of fruit and prefers above ground veg to the carby roots – at least at the 8 weeks stage.

And don’t try to stay *below* 800cal, we need that much in good nutrients and being under is a bad thing, probably worse than being a bit over.

Have you watched the Michael Moseley pieces on youtube?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I juiced for many years — carrots and fennel was my favorite combo — but I don’t think it’s compatible with a low carb way of life. Unless you’re using a high-powered blender like the Vitamix, juicing removes all fiber from fruit and vegetables, making the gross weight of sugars and carbohydrates the net weight. You no longer get to deduct grams of fiber from the carb total, so to all intents and purposes you are increasing the carb count of healthy foods by running them through the juicer.

• posted by AlanNI
    on

Ahh right! I knew I was removing the fibre, and so would have made a very sweet fruit juice that would send blood sugar’s soaring…. But I thought that I’d be in the clear if I stuck to a veg juice for breakfast, to give me (what I thought) was a low cal boost of nutrients!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Just a thought AlanNI – the fibre content of the healthy veggies is such an important part of our diet. I have an expensive juicer that completely extracts the fibre from the juice – you would be amazed how much fibre fruit and veg contains. I had to ditch the juicing when I started on insulin because it was scary how much the juice spiked my blood sugar.

I am glad you posted your question because it reminded me that it is tucked away in a cupboard somewhere. I will dig it out and sell it even though, and I know this is probably silly, it makes me feel a bit guilty selling something that could be detrimental to someone’s health.

• posted by AlanNI
    on

Thank you @krysiad @esnecca and @avila for your help! There was me thinking I could be clever with juicing! I wish I liked eggs and fish! Can’t take eggs for breakfast…. So I might stick with porridge!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sorry Alan but if you are going to have porridge you are going to have to reduce the amount you probably would eat. It is high in carbs even though they are good carbs (60 grams per 100 grams). Pre BSD I used to have 35 grams but the book says 25 grams which gives you 15g carb. Then you have to think what you put on it and count that too. It is something I would have once a week.

• posted by AlanNI
    on

Aww no!! Any ideas for alternatives for breakfast then if I cant have eggs?

on

grilled bacon and half an avocado. grilled mushrooms with sliced tomato. the no-carb bircher might suit you which is 1 tablespoon of raisins, 50ml apple juice (which I find too much), 2 tbsp. plain yog, 1 tbsp crush walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon – make the night before minus the yog. I use half the juice and add 5 gm of oats to soak it up. kippers and tomato. spinach mushroom and melted feta cheese. yog with seeds and berries. I have a nutribullet and once or twice a week make a smoothie based on spinach and berries, either with green tea or almond milk. And to finish – my favourite, marinated grilled apricots with greek yoghurt.

Hope that keeps you going for a couple of weeks.

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

It is really unfair that juices are so delicious, but immediately turn fruit into something which is almost pre-digested, anabolic as opposed to catabolic, and which slips down without effort, turning all its calories immediately to fat, with no energy required to digest. I was shocked at how sweet carrot juice is. I did find, however, that even if the fibre is taken out, the taste of pips, etc from fruits like apples, pears and grapes is very strong. Orange juice is my favourite, but because of the high carb content I decided to substitute slimline tonic water, with a slug of vodka (no carbs at all) and find that I don’t feel so deprived in terms of fruit juice now.

• posted by AlanNI
    on

Thank you folks! And thankyou @sunshine-girl for those breakfast tips!

I really dont like mushrooms, fish of any kind or eggs…. I’m beginning to feel that I’m not cut out for a Mediterranean diet!

on

Oh you big fuss pot, you are just like my daughter, no mushrooms, no leeks, no eggs no food that squeaks or is slimy and on and on and on LOL

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m not a breakfast person so I do a 16:8 fast which gives me an eating window between noon and 8:00 PM. I also love eggs so I’m always glad to have an omelette for lunch or dinner. That leaves me with only one decent suggestion for you: coconut cream chia pudding. Get a can of coconut cream, or if you can’t find it, get a can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge for a few hours. When you open it, the cream will have solidified. Scoop it out and put it in a bowl. Add a third of a cup of chia seeds, fresh vanilla or extract , a grating of lime zest and any of the coconut liquid left in the can. Stir everything together vigorously or use a hand-beater if you have one.

Chia releases a natural gelatin when added to a liquid. Let it sit for five minutes and it will turn to pudding all on its own. If you keep the chia seeds whole, you’lI get a tapioca-like consistency which I quite like, but most of the time I run the seeds through my spice grinder before adding to the coconut cream because I enjoy the smoother texture.

The great thing about this pudding is that it’s high in healthy fat courtesy of the coconut and high in fiber courtesy of the chia so it fills you up like nobody’s business. It is also incredibly rich, luscious and silky on the tongue like the creamiest of ice creams. A serving of 70 grams is 177 calories with only one gram of carb. I add a few blueberries sometimes if I’ve found some good ones (crappy supermarket blueberries aren’t worth the sugar to me, even in small quantities).

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

There was an article in today’s Sunday Times food magazine about a scientist that insists that breakfast is dangerous because it causes far greater blood sugar spikes than eating the same thing at any other time of the day, so maybe give breakfast a miss totally and perhaps give intermittent fasting a try as mentioned above. That’s assuming you get on all right with other BSD food.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Esnecca,

I made some chia pudding just before Christmas and it is the only time that the entire family point blank refused to even consider eating something after just looking at it. 😉

I thought it was actually quite nice – I added a bit of mashed up raspberries.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi JulesMaigret,

Was it the wee chia balls that grossed them out? Next time you could try the grinding trick. Once the chia has been pulverized, it pretty much disappears. Then you could sneak them some chia pudding without their knowledge and only tell them what they’d eaten with an insane villainous Vincent Price laugh at the end of the meal. 😀

Mashed up raspberries sounds like a great addition. I was thinking of making a sort of poor man’s compote using blueberries and some honeybush vanilla tea and swirling that through the pudding or layering it like a parfait.

Please log in or register to post a reply.