Had enough so restarting again lol

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I had a half hearted attempt at a restart a while back but it wasn’t really a good time, not that it ever is but… oh well.

Anyway I did the BSD800 and did well previously but haven’t kept up with the healthy habits unfortunately and I’ve decided to begin again and post in this section because I think it’s too ambitious for me to stick to 800, so I’ll probably do just a general version of trying to follow the rules and keep the calories generally lower.

I’m also hopeful I might drag my sister on to the the forums as well πŸ™‚

Starting my own restart on Monday.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Izzy – good to see you back on the forum, but hope it’s not due to any big gains. Anyway, there are a bunch of us ‘old timers’ who are doing a reboot on the’ 8 week Fast 800 ‘reboot’ starting 2 January 2018′ thread and although you say you’re not looking to do the full on 800 again, I’m sure you’d be made welcome there. I’m hoping that I won’t need to do the full 8wks on the 800, but I joined anyway, to try to gain a little more wriggle room.

Whatever you decide to do though, I hope you enjoy being back on the BSD and the forum and that we’ll see you posting on various threads in the coming weeks.

Welcome back.

• posted by Dipgal
    on

Hi Izzy! I’m a newbie.. Yesterday was my day #1. I plan to do the 800c every other day, or at least 3 times a week, and eating fairly low carb (<50) mediterranean the other days. My plan is – as it becomes easier and my body adjusts I’ll do more 800 days and just use the higher calorie days for social events. I’ll look forward to getting to know you.

Judy

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Izzy,

Day 7 for me. I’m starting to realise that losing the weight is just the first step. At least some of the changes I make will need to be permanent if I hope to keep the weight off.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Got properly started on Tuesday the 9th and lost about 5lb’s so far which is great because I’m targetting myself on 4lb/month because I don’t want to feel any pressure. Anything more is a nice bonus! and obviously we always lose more in the first weeks typically too. I’m not counting calories – just eating good old BSD food, nuts for a snack on the go if I’m hungry, in addition to make it a life change rather than a diet I’m simply not being overly strict. My daughter had a birthday and I had a slice of cake. I just made sure it was one small slice in an otherwise BSD friendly day. I’m still having a hot chocolate once per day, occasional small amounts of sweet potato. All of these things alongside a low and achievable target has made this much easier than I expected to get back into the swing.

Fingers crossed I can keep at it… I’ve been keeping up with my 10000 steps per day as well. I’m being gentle with myself mostly as I have ongoing issues with anxiety that I’m still struggling with. I don’t want a slice of cake to become something else I can beat myself up about.

Small steps are big enough for me.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Sounds very sensible Izzy!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Izzy, and welcome home! You have no doubt seen all of the new faces here. “small steps are big enough
    for me” is a marvelous saying, definitely a “keeper” πŸ™‚ I think it’s destined to become a classic. I’m one of those
    all or nothing personality types myself, so I went after my goals like a crazy zealot. It only took me 17 years to
    get started! However, I managed to lose 50+% of myself, and have maintained my losses for 9 months. We’re
    all different however, and you clearly know what is best for you. I’m looking forward to getting to know you…
    We all have something to add to this wonderful forum.

Best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks Guys, yes Allie everyone needs to find the right combination for their own brain lol, because most of any new routine is determined by the brain really.

Mine is a bit shit, just saying.

I’ve found this website quite interesting https://www.dietdoctor.com/ and may try a few recipes, I’ll report back as to how they go…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Izzy, sounds like you have made a solid start and that using your gentle approach is working just fine. It is so important to find a way to make the BSD work for our bodies and our lifestyles and it would seem you found an ideal way for you. Like Allie, I love your ‘small steps are big enough for me’ line and I’m sure there are many who feel the same way – me included.

Keep up the good work and be sure to let us know how you are getting on.

• posted by Izzy
    on

thanks everyone πŸ™‚

When I was first on BSD I was in here everyday posting updates and my food diary, but I just don’t have the time for that now. I also want it to blend into my life and become normal rather than a big deal if that makes sense. I will post regular updates though, probably a few times/week anyway, but I’m only going to log weight and measurements at the end of each month.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I made a batch of this yesterday https://elanaspantry.com/cinnamon-pecan-brittle/

I used to make it before and it’s easy to make and yummy to eat – therefore portioning it up is everything lol. I used 200g of pecans and this batch will last all week. I’m not being religious about counting though as long as I see my scales move regularly in the right direction.

going to try a recipe from the diet doctor site later for almond flour breadsticks. I’ll report back later if those go well.

• posted by Izzy
    on

well time for my weeks roundup.

Monday went well

Tuesday- weds not so much

Thurs- ok

Friday OK

Sat/sun all ok

So On Tuesday I had a counselling session booked so I think it triggered my need to emotionally eat, however the only reason I was able to give in to that was because I had taken my purse with me to get cash to pay the counsellor. Soooo I have another counselling session on Feb 6th and what I will do is make sure I have the correct money the night before so I won’t have a means of spending at work. I clearly don’t have the self control in those moments, but controlling the means I have at the time is all I can do.

I only work 5hrs/day so I don’t take a meal break, I usually bring some nuts to nibble, having money to hand was my downfall.

Of course I then did the typical, start tomorrow thing, then the next day, start tomorrow… By Thursday I was back on track and Friday I had a planned deviation which is still not following BSD but is controlled as I was meeting a friend. I decided this time to allow those days to find balance within BSD and tailor this to fit my life, desires and needs. I find if I stick to allowing non-bsd food just for the duration of the cafe (oe whatever) visit that I have no trouble jumping back on BSD. It’s only when I go off the rails like on Tuesday. I only have a planned time with friends like that once every few weeks or so anyway so it isn’t overly regular. It’s just unfortunate that this week it means there have been 3 days out of whack.

I’ll be weighing in at the end of the month and my target is kept very small (4lb’s/month) so I know I’ll still make it. I’m playing the long term game.

Aside from the food I’ve managed to keep my daily steps at 10k or above so happy enough with that (they drop at the weekend but 5/7 is good enough for me) Gently does it here.

I’ve kept busy making beaded bracelets (which will be for sale at a local shop soon) and also this year I’ve given myself a sewing challenge.

in 2018 I will but NO NEW clothes. I will either make my own clothes, buy/repurpose old or 2nd hand clothes. It was an incentive to give myself motivation to try making clothing as so far I love sewing but have never attempted clothes, just bags, purses, coasters, keyrings that sort of thing. So this week brought my first pair of simple trousers, with an elastic waist so not the height of fashion but they fit well and are comfy so I was pleased, and yesterday I made a hat, which I am too excited about. I love my hat lol.

Well that’s my weeks round up, except to say that last week I tried using the almond flour recipe I had for breadsticks to make chicken curry pasties and it did work but the ‘pastry’ was a bit too cheesy for my liking. This would have worked ok with perhaps a bacon filling, but I used our normal cheese which is quite strong. I think if I used a mild cheese with less of a strong flavour then maybe it would have worked ok.

this was the bread/pastry recipe
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pierogi-filled-with-bacon-and-mushroom

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Izzy, well done on the hat. I am an experienced seamstress, so if you hit a snag, let me know. Although, I am sure you will find it easy to transition to clothes.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thank you Nonna πŸ™‚

My lovely Mum has given me money to buy an overlocker (serger depending on where you are from) so I’m looking forward to setting that up and trying it out.

My next sewing project this week will be some cushions I’ve agreed to make, and then I’ve got some stretchy fabric to make a long cardi with, so the overlocker will be great for that fabric.

I was going to send a private message but I forgot this site doesn’t have that available, but if you would like to look for ‘dragonfly dreamseeker’ on facebook you’ll be able to see some of my bits and pieces.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Izzy I have 3 overlockers and 3 sewing machines…be careful sewing can be addictive. I also have a coverstitcher which is a godsend for stretchy fabrics and to hem trousers like joggers. Research carefully before buying. My first overlocker was a 3 thread…My next 2 were 4 threads. I so wish I had bought a 5 thread lol. One is never enough.

Just be careful when using the overlocker, it can stretch the material so make sure your tension (in your hands and the machine) is correct.

Have fun.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m already addicted but I’m also addicted to beading, and painting so I’m always creating something! I’ve bought the overlocker, it’s a brother one and is 4 thread, our budget wouldn’t stretch to a 5, but for my purposes I think it will be enough. If my little sideline takes off perhaps I will be able to justify investing in more expensive equipment, but from experience sometimes the basics are more than enough and more complex things are trouble! It’s a singer talent machine I have and I love it, so far it’s ran through anything I’ve thrown at it. Any issues I’ve had have turned out to be my own fault (cheap thread and needles) It wasn’t particularly expensive but it’s serving me well. I have so many creative ideas and so many things I want to try to make/paint/do/learn about, it’s been an absolute saviour for my mental health.

I’ll practise on scraps with the overlocker and hopefully get a feel for it before I make my cardi πŸ™‚

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Izzy,

My first and third were Brother machines. My favourite sewing machine, which my mother bought for me 34 years ago, is a Pfaff. It is just brilliant. I have a singer which is supposed to do all sorts of fancy stuff but doesn’t and a cheap Brother which is only basic but is fine for basic stitches. As a teenager I designed and made my own clothes using an old Treadle (Singer) machine. Mom bought my the Pfaff when I had my daughters. I made clothes for her, them, my husband, myself. I even made my daughters Wedding Dresses. Now I make clothes for my grandchildren. It is a skill and a pleasure. I embroider and in the winter I knit…but only small stuff. I couldn’t do things my mom used to knit. Oh I could go on forever talking about crafts. Somebody stop me lol.

I am visited by the black dog occasionally and I find Sewing my saviour. Anything creative is good. I try to play the Ukelele, and Banjo, but have trouble with the chords as my fingers and hands don’t bend the way they need to when playing a string instrument. Not that there is anything wrong with them. I just can’t get the technique! If you find you are slipping away, come on here and have a moan…it really does help as everyone is so supportive.

Enjoy your sewing.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Izzy
    on

the black dog is a most unwelcome visitor, I keep barring the door but he sneaks in the window.

He’s trying the latch again just now I think, but I’m attempting to close the window on his paws to put him off! Today I’m feeling so tired. I think that I’ve had 2-3 months of high anxiety and now that I’m a little calmer the adrenaline has gone and left me in a slump. All these generations of evolution and our own body and brains still trip us up. I’m not especially musical myself but I like listening to my husband play the guitar, it’s quite soothing. Creativity this week I’ve finished the cushions I was making but not had time/energy for much else. This week I plan to make my cardigan and some bags.

As for the BSD week it’s gone ok, and I weighed in at the end of Jan, having lost 7.5lb’s which I’m more than happy with as I was almost two weeks into January before I started. All good. My target for Feb is 4lb’s to continue to keep things achievable and without pressure.

I’ve just made a batch of salt and vinegar chick peas which I had forgotten how yummy they are! Need to watch portions if you’re on the 800 but I’m not counting so I don’t need to be as strict. typically I divide on can into 3 portions though. They make a lovely nibble.

http://ohsheglows.com/2010/08/03/easy-salt-vinegar-roasted-chick-peas/

I use spray oil to make mine as I found them otherwise a little greasy.

I’ve got counselling again on Tuesday, so I must make sure I’m prepared with money, although I had taken my purse on Thursday as it happened to be in my pocket and I’m glad I did as my van broke down and I was stranded for hours!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Izzy that recipe sounds amazing, if a bit smelly to make!

I have been to many therapy sessions in my life, and it’s a draining process – but for me life changing. Be kind to yourself xx

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m trying to be kind that’s why my targets are small, the chick peas are yummy! last a few days in the fridge as well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.