Great success but turning sour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by guthlac
    on

I had great success with the 800cal diet. My weight dropped from 98kG down to 85kg and my HbA1c fell from 77 to 42. My lipids were also fantastically low. I’ve lost more weight and now down to 80kg but things are not looking so good. I was advised to stop my Sitagliptin as my sugars were so good. A week later and my fasting levels have gone from mid-fives to mid-eights. I’ve restarted the Sitagliptin but my B’S remains high. I’m quite worried by this. I’ve had an occasional departure from the diet but it hasn’t affected anything before. I do not want insulin injections or medication to increase my insulin production as I know this will worsen my insulin resistance. When I embarked on this I really felt there was hope but now I feel quite defeated.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi guthlak, sounds like you need to consult a proper medic over this and you are not alone. You may find the others through using the search bar but hopefully they will see your post and dive in. It must be hard to see the levels rising again but there will be an explanation. I hope when you find it that it is still something that will be a glitch and that you will reduce the levels again. Beware of advice from us amateurs but hopefully some shared knowledge with outcomes will come your way soon, I hope so, Well done on the weight by the way. Try and stay positive while the answer is found.

• posted by guthlac
    on

I don’t know of any medics who have any knowledge in this. My diabetes nurse couldn’t believe my results and is ‘preaching the gospel’ to all and my gp said he’ll have to look into it for himself as he is also type2. To be fair, I still have ten or eleven kilos to lose to get into normal BMI range and that might be the issue. I only ever seem to put weight on around my middle and that’s where its all sitting at the moment. I know that if my B’S goes up I’ll be under pressure to start using GLP-1 injectable drugs, which I’m very unhappy about because they stimulate insulin secretion, whereas I really want to increase my insulin sensitivity. With this in mind I’ve also started intermittent fasting as a move on from the 5:2, as per Jason Fung’s book. I think the hardest thing for me is that when I heard of the blood sugar diet and its successes it gave me a sense of hope and motivation to do something but now I have this feeling of that hope trickling away into futility. I am trying to stay positive – the other benefits to my health, as a result of the diet and lifestyle changes, remain. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a glitch.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Guthlac, I know that feeling. Im on week 11 and although I’ve had very good weight loss I’ve still got a stone to lose before I reach my maximum ideal weight. However I can only dream about some of the blood sugar readings I see other people get on this forum. I’m lucky to get 6s and 7s. It was in the 11s though at the start of the diet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.